Bridgewater Associates Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2015
Updated Mar 21, 2015

3.5

Investment Associate Summer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Personality testing followed by on campus interview--1 group 2 individual.

Interview process was very cold, lunch and breakfast were barely edible and no campus tour or any real info was provided.

Recieved news by email a week after interview

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Phone call, a whole bunch of personality/work-style questionnaires, a phone interview with an outside consultant evaluating the stage of your career, then spend a whole first round getting dragged up to Westport, CT to read, hear, talk, and learn about their *unique culture* (in a nutshell, "harsh criticism makes you better"). Will call you last minute and ask you to get come up tomorrow (claiming a sudden opening). Tries to play this psych game, but ultimately felt disrespected.

And all to work at a hedge fund.

Night Trader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Quick in-person interview. Interviewer was very friendly and started off with background questions. They are aware that people interviewing for entry level positions won't know a whole lot of finance, but they also expect you to be aware of current events, market standings, and other news. I'm not very accustomed to doing case study interviews, and that was the only difficult part.

Ambassador Team Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Very long and unique interview process. Usually includes a preliminary phone screening, online assesment with personality questions, group interview then individual interview. My individual interview included a training session then an assesment based off training followed by an evaluation discussion. Definetly put on a thick skin and dont let them fluster you, have strong reasoning and logic behind your questions.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

First, they made me complete an online personality test. Then, I came for an on-site. The on-site interview was two parts: first, a group debate, then a very awkward two-on-one interview in a hotel. The personality test to me seemed like a strange way to gauge whether or not to accept a future candidate. The two-on-one interview seemed like more of an intimidation tactic than anything else. The interviewers did not react to most things that I said and instead buzzed quickly through a list of questions. The group debate portion was actually very interesting. Be prepared to open the debate if your questions is the one selected.

Management Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

To summarize, the on-site interview is quite an experience. I was on their campus from 7am to 11pm. I spent 40 minutes interviewing, and over 3 hours watching tapes about their culture. Commuting there took over 3 hours each way, not to mention staying over at a hotel the previous night, whose only dining option past my arrival time was a McDonald's across the way. This should summarize how much they really care about you.

From the beginning, the recruiter and HR people are amazing; however, the interview process was a complete disaster and can only be described as strange. Before even learning more about the positions, I was interviewed by an external consultant whose experience was in design. The external consultant did a good job of getting to know the candidate's experiences and asked probing questions. The problem was that she knew very little about the inner workings at Bridgewater.

I was invited to an on-site interview. A car picked me up and I arrived at the office at 6:45am. Most people were not in the office yet but the HR guy that took us around was very on top of his game at 7am. He brought me and 3 other people to separate rooms, where we sat around for hours watching culture tapes over a few trays of fruit, coffee, and finger foods. Literally hours. I was made aware of their culture tapes beforehand, but the severity of the cult-like behavior was shocking.

The employees worship Ray Dalio. Most of the tapes were about how an employee displayed initial resistance to Dalio's principals and teachings, but later realized that his methods were only to benefit them and that they are better people now. If that doesn't sound cult-worthy, I don't know what is. The company was more interested that I watched the tapes than actually getting to know me. They have a strong desire to figure out your weaknesses and to poke at them for your personal "improvement".

When we finally got to the "interview" portion, which was a debate with another candidate, it lasted at most 20 minutes. The interviewer was very cold and more interested in conversing with the other candidate, who has a relative that she knows who works there. I admit that I although I was organized, my thoughts were not consistent about the topic and honestly, since they like honesty, the off-putting nature of the interviewer already made me want to leave and head home.

For the next 20 minutes, a manager and an intern asked me about my weaknesses and why the previous interviewer gave me a low score for the debate. The intern was very aggressive, more so than the manager, about figuring out my weaknesses at my current job. This was also extremely off-putting, not only because she was an intern but I have been working full-time for almost 5 years and I have done well in my roles, having been promoted twice in the last year alone.

However, they will never know my accomplishments because all they cared about was that I complied with their assessment of the weaknesses that they conjured. I am pretty aware of my weaknesses and I am the type of person that works on improving myself constantly. Perhaps my biggest weakness is intolerance for nonsense, which I had no reservations about hiding. Not surprisingly, I did not make it to the final round.

I had never felt such a sense of relief and appreciation for my current job than I did when the car pulled out of Bridgewater's campus. This would have been the wrong environment for me and anyone else with a free-thinking nature. Do not expect to feel welcome. You are shuffled in and out of there, with no tours or interactions with employees aside from the interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • The first "interview" is a debate about a controversial topic and the second is a discussion about your weaknesses.   Answer Question

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in February 2015.

I received a blind email from one of their HR representatives with a brief description of the job and a link to the company's website so I could find out more about the culture at Bridgewater Associate. After watching some of the videos I decided I would reply to the email and a phone interview with HR was setup for the following day. That interview went fine as he described the job opportunity and more about the culture, did I mention he talked about the culture? He then sent me a link where I would find a full Myers Briggs questionnaire as well as some other company personality test.

I completed the online questions and waited two weeks before I received another email requesting a good time for a phone interview with a network person. I gave a few options and got an email a couple days later with a date/time and a bridge number to call into. I confirmed the date and time with a follow up email.

I called into the bridge a few minute early and waited, I was just about to "timeout" at the 15 minute mark when the bridge finally opened. I received a rather flip sounding apology that "it's been a busy day", then he introduced themselves and asked if I knew about the total transparency policy. He then asked if was OK with me to record the interview and I figured the call would be over if I didn't agree so I did. He started the tape and asked me one more time for the record.

He started by introducing himself and gave a bit about his background. He actually seamed proud that Bridgewater was the only company he had worked for. I was asked to introduce myself and give some background. I'm not sure if I went into too much detail or not enough as I got absolutely no feedback during the "conversation" ...I felt like I was talking to a tape recorder. Once done I still got no feedback and no questions about my experience or other technical questions. He continued with a bit more about the organization and the position then he asked "the question". "Tell me about you strengths and weaknesses" Apparently he did not like my weakness and started the junior psych probing questions to really get to the root of my weakness. The conversation gets fuzzy here because all I wanted to tell him that dealing with pompous morons with over inflated egos was my true weakness. He then said something about me not being a good fit because I sounded uncomfortable talking about my weakness and that they do a lot of that there....

I received the "thanks but no thanks" email from HR a couple days later...as if it was actually necessary.

Technology Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in February 2015.

2 On 1.They talks a little bit about the program and themselves at the beginning.
    Then they asked me some basic question about my previous experience,(like which is your favorite program?)
    Then go to the technical part, which is to design a game. (I never played this game before, but they will tell you how it plays in detail. OO Design first, and then they ask me to design a competing computer)

Trading Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

I used a headhunter to get a foot in the door. After a pre-screen including several personality tests I had a 30 minute phone interview probing my background. While they emphasized no prior experience was required, they wanted to make sure I had demonstrated the appropriate interest in trading and finance before.

It took over a month before they could schedule me for an interview.

They provide a lot of resources online, including Ray Dalio's 'Principles', you will want to read these and really figure out if the culture is attractive to you or not.

The interview process lasted from 8 to 3, and they will cut it off at any time if you're not what they're looking for, they are frank about that. I won't reveal the details of the interviews but I think being personable, energetic, smart, and applying parts of the principles where appropriate go a long way.

Receiving feedback on an offer took about 10 days, there were a few delays outside of either parties control.

Interview Questions
    • During the group discussion portion, they will provide one or two topics, randomly drawn from their database of questions. Be prepared to think on the cuff about something unrelated to finance that you may known little about.   Answer Question
    I did not feel I had a position to negotiate, but I believe it was a very fair offer.

Technology Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Phone interview, online programming assessment, online personality tests, final round on-campus interviews. Phone interview included behavioral and technical questions. Two programming tests online that can be done in any language. Personality tests that show them what type of person you are (definitely answer honestly). On-site with technical, behavioral, and another technical interview.

Interview Questions
    Fair offer and great people. No negotiation.