Bridgewater Associates Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.5

Management Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

I applied through LinkedIn and got a call about three weeks later. The recruiter was incredibly difficult to schedule an interview with; it took multiple calls and emails to finalize a time (I was very flexible with my time requirements so it was entirely on their end). We finally had an interview, which was quite basic and much of it was focused on Bridgewater's "principles" and culture. The recruiter also had a difficult time describing the position and I did not feel like I understood exactly what it entailed.

The recruiter said that they were extremely interested and wanted to bring me in within a few days and would let me know within the day when I should come. Then they did not schedule the interview for nearly two weeks, and then canceled the interview saying that they chose not to continue with my application with no explanation. Dealing with the recruiter was one of the most frustrating experiences I've had, and everyone I worked with on this seemed pretty incompetent.

Technology Associate Interview

Interview was to show the thinking abilities and values, nothing to do about skills. This was very appealing at the time. The interview also requires you to hold a level of conversations and not start about doing but better about how would you do something.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult really, perhaps one of these standard wanna-be-like-Google-and-similars "how many windows in NYC "   View Answer
    They have first low-ball me then adjusted upon rejection.

Knowledge Management Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

I used a 3rd party recruiter. They have you take the Myers-Briggs (MBTI®) personality test before they invite you for an interview. If you make the cut, they have you in for the first round, which is for behavioral/cultural fit. Total of two rounds. I made it to the final round, but no offer.

Interview Questions
    • Case study: How would you complete an RFP, start to finish, step by step?   View Answer

Investment Associate Summer Interview

The first interview takes place with a small set of individuals. Each person is required to come with a question or dilemma to present. After a question is decided upon, the group engages in a debate, which the interviewer participates in.

Interview Questions
    • The question depends on the set of possible questions introduced by the other interviewees.   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

They called me to go through the process. They did not provide any job description. Fist phase is to complete a series of personality tests. Later they did a phone interview. Finally a in person interview. Once in the interview they asked me about my life. They call this "a life interview". After the life interview, they told me that they were going to get back to me.

Trading Associate Interview

I have a quick phone interview with them. They only spend 15 min with me. They didn't talk a lot about this position. I really don't know what they are looking for. I didn't receive face to face interview.

Receptionist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

I was contacted by email to set up a time where they could call me to discuss the position. The phone interview took about 30 minutes and was not that difficult. They asked about my customer service experience and what were some of my weaknesses in that field are. When I answered a question they would ask me questions about my answer and keep probing me.

Interview Questions
    • What is the three most important skills for customer service?   Answer Question

Investment Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in August 2014.

I was flown into Westport about three weeks after I submitted my resume online. There were three interviews, taking place back to back. The first was one on one, typical behavioral interview. The interviewer had for reference a document you are required to fill out in advance, detailing the triumphs, failures, and lessons of each of your various work experiences. This lasted maybe 30-40 minutes.

There is a wait period in which candidates are given more material on the culture, more readings, videos, case studies. I would recommend skipping down to the last few pages because those stories and scenarios are the most controversial and interesting.

The second interview is a group discussion with fellow candidates, in which each individual is required to bring an ethical/political/philosophical question. The facilitators (about three or four) will pick one, allow candidates to begin discussion, and then will jump in, ask questions, steer the conversation in every which direction. It was great fun, though sometimes the facilitators' steering destabilized the premises of the conversation and made the purpose of the exercise a little confusing. This lasted maybe an hour.

An investment associate came in briefly to discuss the actual program, for anyone who was unfamiliar, and then allowed us the opportunity to ask any questions. Light lunch was provided.

The final interview was another one-on-one behavioral, with the focus on any questions I had about the company. This lasted maybe another half hour.

All in all, I thought the interviewers were genuinely interested in learning more about me. They asked intelligent and important follow up questions that were fueled by curiosity and not aggression. I had read reviews on here mentioning hostility and abrasiveness, but I honestly received none of that. The interviewers were perfectly cordial.

You do get videotaped in every interview.

I received word by phone in little over a week regarding my candidacy.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult aspect of the entire process was the group discussion. Our question was about whether or not police departments should have access to firearms to enforce the law. The discussion was lively, but at some point the facilitators started attempting to steer the conversation into debates about utopias. The transition was unclear and destabilized the goals of the discussion. Still great fun, though the purpose and parameters were inconsistent.   Answer Question

Technology Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

I applied after attending an on-campus information session. They have a strong culture of openness and honesty, and there you get somewhat of a cult vibe from the recruiters. They were all very friendly and down-to-earth, and were also surprisingly fratty, to the point of referring to each other by callsign-esque nicknames. The interview itself was with two employees at once, and featured an audio recorder so they could review my performance after the fact. We dove straight into the case, and I had the chance to ask them questions afterwards. I performed poorly on the case (it was not a good fit, and I had lost my voice and had to speak in a whisper, pretty awkward) and did not get a second round. I believe second rounds were held the very next day, and offers were given out within several days.

Interview Questions
    • The case was an open-ended invitation to identify a problem with elevators and design a software-based solution. The interviewers were aggressive about asking why I chose the topic I did, what I wanted to do with it, etc. They wanted to make sure I could have strong opinions and back them up. I think the process was supposed to mimic a three-way brainstorming session, with me coming up with ideas and them trying to pick them apart. It all felt quite fair.   View Answer

Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Like nothing else. The interview is a mix of discussion of philosophical issues with your peers and a few BW people, and personal interviews where an employee asks you to justify your life choices. You are expected to engage on a level employers rarely expect — possibly for good reason. The interview, like the company, felt somehow both violating and revelatory. I was discussing my childhood, passions, relationship with my father at an interview to work at a hedge fund. This seems entirely irrelevant but is indicative of what you'll be seeing should you take a job at Bridgewater. The deep focus on individual strengths and weaknesses can be a beautiful thing and can be very, very unpleasant. Lots of personality testing as well; expect to spend a few hours testing in advance of your debate.

Interview Questions
    • The interview is comprised of surprising philosophical questions. Traditional finance interview prep will not help you.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, the offer is absurdly good