Bridgewater Associates Interview Questions

Updated Sep 21, 2014
Updated Sep 21, 2014

3.6

Investment Associate Summer Interview

The first interview takes place with a small set of individuals. Each person is required to come with a question or dilemma to present. After a question is decided upon, the group engages in a debate, which the interviewer participates in.

Interview Questions
    • The question depends on the set of possible questions introduced by the other interviewees.   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

They called me to go through the process. They did not provide any job description. Fist phase is to complete a series of personality tests. Later they did a phone interview. Finally a in person interview. Once in the interview they asked me about my life. They call this "a life interview". After the life interview, they told me that they were going to get back to me.

Trading Associate Interview

I have a quick phone interview with them. They only spend 15 min with me. They didn't talk a lot about this position. I really don't know what they are looking for. I didn't receive face to face interview.

Receptionist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

I was contacted by email to set up a time where they could call me to discuss the position. The phone interview took about 30 minutes and was not that difficult. They asked about my customer service experience and what were some of my weaknesses in that field are. When I answered a question they would ask me questions about my answer and keep probing me.

Interview Questions
    • What is the three most important skills for customer service?   Answer Question

Technology Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

I applied after attending an on-campus information session. They have a strong culture of openness and honesty, and there you get somewhat of a cult vibe from the recruiters. They were all very friendly and down-to-earth, and were also surprisingly fratty, to the point of referring to each other by callsign-esque nicknames. The interview itself was with two employees at once, and featured an audio recorder so they could review my performance after the fact. We dove straight into the case, and I had the chance to ask them questions afterwards. I performed poorly on the case (it was not a good fit, and I had lost my voice and had to speak in a whisper, pretty awkward) and did not get a second round. I believe second rounds were held the very next day, and offers were given out within several days.

Interview Questions
    • The case was an open-ended invitation to identify a problem with elevators and design a software-based solution. The interviewers were aggressive about asking why I chose the topic I did, what I wanted to do with it, etc. They wanted to make sure I could have strong opinions and back them up. I think the process was supposed to mimic a three-way brainstorming session, with me coming up with ideas and them trying to pick them apart. It all felt quite fair.   View Answer

Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Like nothing else. The interview is a mix of discussion of philosophical issues with your peers and a few BW people, and personal interviews where an employee asks you to justify your life choices. You are expected to engage on a level employers rarely expect — possibly for good reason. The interview, like the company, felt somehow both violating and revelatory. I was discussing my childhood, passions, relationship with my father at an interview to work at a hedge fund. This seems entirely irrelevant but is indicative of what you'll be seeing should you take a job at Bridgewater. The deep focus on individual strengths and weaknesses can be a beautiful thing and can be very, very unpleasant. Lots of personality testing as well; expect to spend a few hours testing in advance of your debate.

Interview Questions
    • The interview is comprised of surprising philosophical questions. Traditional finance interview prep will not help you.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, the offer is absurdly good

Trading Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in July 2014.

I applied online. Prompt follow up by Recruiting Associate. Was asked to complete the Bridgewater Experience, it was required. It was mainly behavioral and psychological. The recruiter then followed up to set up a phone interview. I then interviewed with my to be team lead. The whole process took about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very difficult, mainly an extension of the behavioural questions. More relevantly, why do you want the position? What makes you think you can succeed at the job? Also, going through your resume and highlighting relevant experience.   View Answer

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in July 2014.

Applied online through the website and got a phone call to set up 30 minute phone interview which then led to an in person interview. Phone interview was with a recruiting company that screens all applicants before they are considered by the actual company.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was not very difficult. Typical questions like why Bridgewater, past experience, about me, etc.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I had a group interview with a few other people. Interviewer gave a topic for discussion. We sat around a table, and took turns talking about the topic while the interviewer sat in a corner taking notes. The topics were not finance related, and I'm not sure how we were judged. In the end, we got some feedback a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • It was unexpected that we needed to do a group interview with a few other people.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Westport, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

It's one thing to hear about Bridgewater's strange culture, another to experience it firsthand. I interviewed for a Software Engineer position with them in 2010, and had been warned that it was "cult-like". I breezed through the initial call and programming challenge they sent me, and remember thinking "this seems pretty normal".

Then they sent me an electronic copy of Ray Dalio's book and told me I was going to be quizzed on it in three days.

This was where things started to get weird. I spoke with two people from management who seemed to be deliberately trying to throw me off balance. They briefly asked about the book, but I get the sense that the real test was in how I reacted under pressure, and whether I could offer "honest feedback" (read: blunt and critical to a point that would have been harmful to team cohesiveness in a work situation). They would deliberately try to lead me on to agreeing with them on things that were outright wrong, and seemed frustrated when I called them on it. They started probing pretty insistently into my personal life: what type of people did I hang out with? What do I do after work? Why? Do I really want the job? How do I know I really want the job?

After about an hour of this, I decided I actually didn't want the job if that was the way the culture was set up, and cut the interview process off myself.

Interview Questions
    • What's the dumbest thing that a past company you've worked at has done, and how did you react to it?   Answer Question

Worked for Bridgewater Associates? Contribute to the Community!