Bridgewater Associates Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2015
Updated Apr 9, 2015

3.5

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT).

Interview

Phone call, a whole bunch of personality/work-style questionnaires, a phone interview with an outside consultant evaluating the stage of your career, then spend a whole first round getting dragged up to Westport, CT to read, hear, talk, and learn about their *unique culture* (in a nutshell, "harsh criticism makes you better"). Will call you last minute and ask you to get come up tomorrow (claiming a sudden opening). Tries to play this psych game, but ultimately felt disrespected.

And all to work at a hedge fund.

Investment Associate Summer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

Personality testing followed by on campus interview--1 group 2 individual.

Interview process was very cold, lunch and breakfast were barely edible and no campus tour or any real info was provided.

Recieved news by email a week after interview

Night Trader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

Quick in-person interview. Interviewer was very friendly and started off with background questions. They are aware that people interviewing for entry level positions won't know a whole lot of finance, but they also expect you to be aware of current events, market standings, and other news. I'm not very accustomed to doing case study interviews, and that was the only difficult part.

Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

To summarize, the on-site interview is quite an experience. I was on their campus from 7am to 11pm. I spent 40 minutes interviewing, and over 3 hours watching tapes about their culture. Commuting there took over 3 hours each way, not to mention staying over at a hotel the previous night, whose only dining option past my arrival time was a McDonald's across the way. This should summarize how much they really care about you.

From the beginning, the recruiter and HR people are amazing; however, the interview process was a complete disaster and can only be described as strange. Before even learning more about the positions, I was interviewed by an external consultant whose experience was in design. The external consultant did a good job of getting to know the candidate's experiences and asked probing questions. The problem was that she knew very little about the inner workings at Bridgewater.

I was invited to an on-site interview. A car picked me up and I arrived at the office at 6:45am. Most people were not in the office yet but the HR guy that took us around was very on top of his game at 7am. He brought me and 3 other people to separate rooms, where we sat around for hours watching culture tapes over a few trays of fruit, coffee, and finger foods. Literally hours. I was made aware of their culture tapes beforehand, but the severity of the cult-like behavior was shocking.

The employees worship Ray Dalio. Most of the tapes were about how an employee displayed initial resistance to Dalio's principals and teachings, but later realized that his methods were only to benefit them and that they are better people now. If that doesn't sound cult-worthy, I don't know what is. The company was more interested that I watched the tapes than actually getting to know me. They have a strong desire to figure out your weaknesses and to poke at them for your personal "improvement".

When we finally got to the "interview" portion, which was a debate with another candidate, it lasted at most 20 minutes. The interviewer was very cold and more interested in conversing with the other candidate, who has a relative that she knows who works there. I admit that I although I was organized, my thoughts were not consistent about the topic and honestly, since they like honesty, the off-putting nature of the interviewer already made me want to leave and head home.

For the next 20 minutes, a manager and an intern asked me about my weaknesses and why the previous interviewer gave me a low score for the debate. The intern was very aggressive, more so than the manager, about figuring out my weaknesses at my current job. This was also extremely off-putting, not only because she was an intern but I have been working full-time for almost 5 years and I have done well in my roles, having been promoted twice in the last year alone.

However, they will never know my accomplishments because all they cared about was that I complied with their assessment of the weaknesses that they conjured. I am pretty aware of my weaknesses and I am the type of person that works on improving myself constantly. Perhaps my biggest weakness is intolerance for nonsense, which I had no reservations about hiding. Not surprisingly, I did not make it to the final round.

I had never felt such a sense of relief and appreciation for my current job than I did when the car pulled out of Bridgewater's campus. This would have been the wrong environment for me and anyone else with a free-thinking nature. Do not expect to feel welcome. You are shuffled in and out of there, with no tours or interactions with employees aside from the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• The first "interview" is a debate about a controversial topic and the second is a discussion about your weaknesses.   Answer Question

Ambassador Team Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

Very long and unique interview process. Usually includes a preliminary phone screening, online assesment with personality questions, group interview then individual interview. My individual interview included a training session then an assesment based off training followed by an evaluation discussion. Definetly put on a thick skin and dont let them fluster you, have strong reasoning and logic behind your questions.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

First, they made me complete an online personality test. Then, I came for an on-site. The on-site interview was two parts: first, a group debate, then a very awkward two-on-one interview in a hotel. The personality test to me seemed like a strange way to gauge whether or not to accept a future candidate. The two-on-one interview seemed like more of an intimidation tactic than anything else. The interviewers did not react to most things that I said and instead buzzed quickly through a list of questions. The group debate portion was actually very interesting. Be prepared to open the debate if your questions is the one selected.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process at Bridgewater is like none other. They are very proud of themselves for this. I took a series of personality tests, watched culture videos and even an independent case study of Bridgewater. All in all I would say I spent well over six hours preparing for each interview visit. The purpose of all of this was to make sure I understood the uniqueness of their work environment. After two in-house interviews (which lasted all day), meeting with four departments, and over fifteen people, I was invited for a third interview, which I asked to be conducted by phone since I lived a distance away. I felt as this stage quite confident that it was a good fit for my career goals.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about an altercation you had with a boss or superior.   1 Answer

After two discussions regarding a formal offer, I verbally accepted the second offer from my hiring manager. A week passed without a contract, but I was in frequent contact with my hiring manager and candidate lead regarding my contract materials. All the while, I had resigned from my existing job to give notice to my employer so they could provide a reference and prepare for my departure. I assumed at this stage that a verbal agreement would be held, and had no reason to suspect anything different. After about a week and a half, I was called by my hiring manager to discuss my compensation which had "caused the delay due to administrative errors". Apparently, the hiring manager had offered me a package he could not deliver, thus reducing my starting salary by a substantial amount, and classifying me as a non-exempt employee so I would be earn over-time and still make the same figure originally promised. I was extremely upset by this, mostly because I had resigned from my job and felt cornered and betrayed. Fortunately, my current boss is a reasonable person, and we have worked out an alternate arrangement. BEWARE -- after sending my contract materials back to the sender and indicating by email why I would be turning down the job, I have heard NOTHING from any of the parties involved in my recruiting or offer process. This company is not honest, transparent or a place any hard-working, reasonable individual should consider.

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Norwalk, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

I received a blind email from one of their HR representatives with a brief description of the job and a link to the company's website so I could find out more about the culture at Bridgewater Associate. After watching some of the videos I decided I would reply to the email and a phone interview with HR was setup for the following day. That interview went fine as he described the job opportunity and more about the culture, did I mention he talked about the culture? He then sent me a link where I would find a full Myers Briggs questionnaire as well as some other company personality test.

I completed the online questions and waited two weeks before I received another email requesting a good time for a phone interview with a network person. I gave a few options and got an email a couple days later with a date/time and a bridge number to call into. I confirmed the date and time with a follow up email.

I called into the bridge a few minute early and waited, I was just about to "timeout" at the 15 minute mark when the bridge finally opened. I received a rather flip sounding apology that "it's been a busy day", then he introduced themselves and asked if I knew about the total transparency policy. He then asked if was OK with me to record the interview and I figured the call would be over if I didn't agree so I did. He started the tape and asked me one more time for the record.

He started by introducing himself and gave a bit about his background. He actually seamed proud that Bridgewater was the only company he had worked for. I was asked to introduce myself and give some background. I'm not sure if I went into too much detail or not enough as I got absolutely no feedback during the "conversation" ...I felt like I was talking to a tape recorder. Once done I still got no feedback and no questions about my experience or other technical questions. He continued with a bit more about the organization and the position then he asked "the question". "Tell me about you strengths and weaknesses" Apparently he did not like my weakness and started the junior psych probing questions to really get to the root of my weakness. The conversation gets fuzzy here because all I wanted to tell him that dealing with pompous morons with over inflated egos was my true weakness. He then said something about me not being a good fit because I sounded uncomfortable talking about my weakness and that they do a lot of that there....

I received the "thanks but no thanks" email from HR a couple days later...as if it was actually necessary.

Technology Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

2 On 1.They talks a little bit about the program and themselves at the beginning.
    Then they asked me some basic question about my previous experience,(like which is your favorite program?)
    Then go to the technical part, which is to design a game. (I never played this game before, but they will tell you how it plays in detail. OO Design first, and then they ask me to design a competing computer)

Management/Investment Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

First, there were personality tests and lots of video-watching to learn about the company culture. Then, I was notified for an on-site interview three weeks later. The on-site interview included a group interview and 2-on-1 interview. We were each asked to think up a topic to discuss during the group portion ahead of time and one topic was chosen. In the group debate, one of the admins continually played a devil's advocate and though our group had come to a consensus on the topic, the admin purposefully kept bringing up the same opposing point, claiming to "not understand" our justifications. In the 2-on-1 interview, the two interviewers were cold, seemed on-edge and disinterested. All questions were open-ended discuss-what-you-think and how-you-would-approach-this types of questions. A small breakfast and lunch were provided, and we watched one video about Ray Dalio's culture and fit during lunch. Afterward, some people received additional interviews following their two and some did not.

Interview Questions

• What is your view of affirmative action in medical schools?   Answer Question