Bridgewater Associates

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

3.6

Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

The initial contact took a few weeks, then came a phone screen, and an on-site visit. The phone screen was as expected behavioral questions; on the onsite visit I was introduced to senior members of my future team, who tried to get a read on if I would be a successful team member. The questions were intellectually challenging/engaging, all in all the interview felt like an intellectual conversation more than a list of questions..

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't a particularly difficult question, the difficulty came in the depth of answer that we engaged in, a short and sweet answer wasn't enough, the interviewers and I went a few levels below the initial answer to see (for example, what makes me tick, and why, and what that says about me).   Answer Question

Investment Associate Interview

Conducted a group interview first, to see how you interact with others and also how you think about problems (Is Walmart good or bad for America?). They then did one-on-one interviews. Everything was pretty standard. No need to prepare anything coming in, and they don't really put you on the spot as much as you may think.

Client Service Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

They interviewed me once and the interview had nothingness to do with the actual job. It was them being Pompus the entire time.They were questioning me on my personal mistakes rather than professional to which i answered hobestly. They were super egotistical and unfriendly and just so condescending. I would've rejected and offer from them had I been given one. They are actually all so lost in their cult that they fail to see the true realities of life.

Transformation Lead Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Applied to the position via the company website. This took longer than usual as it included viewing comprehensive background on the company and its culture.

This was followed by a telephone interview which was nicely executed and consisted of inquiring into my background, skills and competencies as well as information about the company and position.

The final interviews took place at the company site. Everything was well arranged and communicated beforehand. The face-to-face interviews started with a video and some reading on the company, its background and culture and was then followed by two in-person interviews. Typical interview structure with requests to describe career and skills, etc. Then pointed questions on 'how would you deal with the following...' scenario questions.

I thought the entire process was well planned, executed, informative and pleasant. Ended up not getting the position but would apply for another position without hesitation.

Interview Questions
    • Request to describe in detail, from beginning to end, how to set up, execute and close a hypothetical project. Then answer questions on specific points. The entire interview appeared designed to test your thought processes.   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

They want to see how well you think. They're looking for smart people who can thrive in their culture, not for particular finance or management skills. They want you to argue clearly, show an ability to change your mind, and be absolutely sincere. The other reviewers say it all. This isn't like a typical interview. You'll be asked to take and defend positions on political and philosophical topics. It's a good experience, and well worth your time even if you're skeptical of the place. They're aware that people might just want to make a ton of money and work somewhere prestigious, and they aren't looking for people like that.

Investment Associate Summer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in December 2014.

Bridgewater reached out to have me complete a series of behavioral evaluations online. About 3 weeks later, I was contacted to come in for second round interviews.The first portion was a group interview where we worked through a debate question. The debate was very casual and collaborative, an overall great experience. Then we broke into individual interviews. These questions were more similar to "walk me through your resume" questions as well as few deep probing questions like: "What is your biggest failure as a human?" and "Do you think your parents are proud of you?" From there, we were all brought into a room for an hour. We were told that some of us would be taken out for another round of interviews. Out of 12 they took 3 of us back. I was taken back for another round of interviews. This interview was much more intense with difficult and probing questions. This portion felt more like an interrogation looking for holes in my resume. While I did not receive an offer and the process was very intense, it was actually an enjoyable experience.

Facilities Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

I applied online – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Was a group interview with some outside the box questions. Multiple people conducting the interview and multiple people receiving the interview a true group interview. At the end of the interview they went to another room and discussed if they wanted to speak one-on-one with anybody in my instance they did not.

Interview Questions
    • Are there any circumstances under which torture is justified?   Answer Question

Technology Support Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in November 2014.

I read thru most of the pertinent interview reviews and can say that the descriptions of the process are accurate. Everyone has reported that the entire interview is recorded for review and discussion after you've left. A few candidates have mentioned the non-disclosure agreement, which states that the process can't be disclosed and that Bridgewater can use the recordings in any way that they want.

Each interview lasts for about 55 minutes. You will be thanked and allowed to leave if any interview team reports that you didn't pass the criteria for their part of the interview. The interviews take place in a conference room which is stocked with coffee, water, soft drinks - and they bring a light lunch in for you. During your lunch, you review videos and culture material.

Everyone is very polite towards you and enthusiastic about being a Bridgewater employee. Each team has a packet with your resume, comments from the recruiter and probably the transcript of your phone screening. They also have a sheet to fill out and what looks like a scoring summary. Their feedback becomes increasingly detailed as the day progresses.

I think that the interview process may have been designed by a psychologist. The goal is to analyze how you think and how you respond to feedback and scenarios. I'm OK with feedback, especially if it's helps one to improve - and I can say that the feedback about my skills was accurate.

What troubled me was the feedback about my motivations and expectations, which is a "value". (compare that to an "attribute" such as logic or analytic thinking or a "skill" which is your experience).
    The interview was an opportunity for me to introduce myself to Bridgewater but it was also an opportunity for me to determine whether it would be a good place for me to work.

One of the interviewers did not assess me to be motivated enough and that I had failed with most of that session's interview questions. My logic and thinking passed, but behaviorally, I was told that I failed and why I failed. Apparently, I was "too laid-back" and "submissive", which was not in line with feedback from other jobs that I've had. Often, I've been told that I need to learn to be more persuasive and less "absolute" in my opinions and approach towards problem solving.

Coincidentally, the session was the final session of a very long day. I believe that most of the feedback was designed to see how I would react and what my response would be. I stated that there are generational differences in behavioral motivation and answers but received the comment that my comment was an excuse.

I had read the founder's "Principals" and reviewed the employee videos which are on the website.
    The first 37 pages cover history and development of the principals, while the remaining 86 pages discuss culture and feedback. I found myself nodding and understanding many of the points.

What I observed was the opportunity to use the "Principals" to reject the natural differences in people. The devotion to the "Principals" seems a bit extreme and there is the potential to use the guidance to "break down" an employee into compliance. It felt like a frat or sorority rush week in which candidates would do anything to comply and be accepted.

I finally decided that Bridgewater was a good place for the employees who are working there, but not a good fit for someone like me. Although I liked the idea of feedback in general, I sensed that I would always be receiving feedback because I would not "fit in".

During my 6 hour interview day, I had the opportunity to see the workers outside the glass window. There were no female employees on the floor (other than the receptionist, HR rep and the hospitality server) and I should say it might be a different observation if one viewed the trading floor. The men were ethnically and racially diverse, but no one seemed to be much more than 32 or 35 years old. I did not observe anyone with a disability or a special need, but it's possible that there were accommodations made.

Interview Questions
    • What was your expectation of how your interview would go today? (I had expected the Google-type logic questions, like how many windows are in NYC)   View Answer

Management Associate Interview

A friend recommended I check Bridgewater out. I met the head recruiter at a recruiting fair, and she was very cool and very nice. I sent in an application online, and got a first round interview. It was a discussion with about 5 other applicants and 3 interviewers sitting around a table. Each of us interviewing was instructed to bring an interesting, open-ended discussion question roughly along the lines of their example question, "If you could make everyone immortal, would you?" It was supposed to be thought-provoking and discussion-provoking. They were interested in seeing how we reasoned and how we thought through interesting questions and problems. I was called the same night and told that I was invited to second-round interviews the next day. I had two second-round interviews, one that was very similar to the first-round (with other applicants), and one that was a behavioral-fit interview.

Interview Questions
    • The behavioral-fit interview was very unusual--the interviewer was intensely interested in figuring out why I spent the time I had spent on the activities listed on my resume, looking for a logically rigourous explanation of how I spent my time. I wasn't ready for this kind of questioning and my answers were not satisfying to her (I could tell).   View Answer

Management Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

I applied through LinkedIn and got a call about three weeks later. The recruiter was incredibly difficult to schedule an interview with; it took multiple calls and emails to finalize a time (I was very flexible with my time requirements so it was entirely on their end). We finally had an interview, which was quite basic and much of it was focused on Bridgewater's "principles" and culture. The recruiter also had a difficult time describing the position and I did not feel like I understood exactly what it entailed.

The recruiter said that they were extremely interested and wanted to bring me in within a few days and would let me know within the day when I should come. Then they did not schedule the interview for nearly two weeks, and then canceled the interview saying that they chose not to continue with my application with no explanation. Dealing with the recruiter was one of the most frustrating experiences I've had, and everyone I worked with on this seemed pretty incompetent.

Edit: Was contacted by a recruiter yet again for a completely different position three weeks later. The recruiter didn't know that I had been contacted once before. The exact same problem happened--they promised I would be scheduled for a second interview within the day, but it's been 10 days, and no answer.

Edit 2: The recruiter got back to me, but wanted me to come in for a completely different position--administrative assistant. He also said that the interview process would be two full days. That's a lot to ask for me to take off work for a position I'm not interested in. I chose not to pursue.