Bridgewater Associates Interview Questions

Updated Sep 21, 2014
Updated Sep 21, 2014

3.6

Investment Associate Summer Interview

The first interview takes place with a small set of individuals. Each person is required to come with a question or dilemma to present. After a question is decided upon, the group engages in a debate, which the interviewer participates in.

Interview Questions
    • The question depends on the set of possible questions introduced by the other interviewees.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in July 2014.

Applied online through the website and got a phone call to set up 30 minute phone interview which then led to an in person interview. Phone interview was with a recruiting company that screens all applicants before they are considered by the actual company.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was not very difficult. Typical questions like why Bridgewater, past experience, about me, etc.   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

They called me to go through the process. They did not provide any job description. Fist phase is to complete a series of personality tests. Later they did a phone interview. Finally a in person interview. Once in the interview they asked me about my life. They call this "a life interview". After the life interview, they told me that they were going to get back to me.

Trading Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in July 2014.

I applied online. Prompt follow up by Recruiting Associate. Was asked to complete the Bridgewater Experience, it was required. It was mainly behavioral and psychological. The recruiter then followed up to set up a phone interview. I then interviewed with my to be team lead. The whole process took about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing very difficult, mainly an extension of the behavioural questions. More relevantly, why do you want the position? What makes you think you can succeed at the job? Also, going through your resume and highlighting relevant experience.   View Answer

Trading Associate Interview

I have a quick phone interview with them. They only spend 15 min with me. They didn't talk a lot about this position. I really don't know what they are looking for. I didn't receive face to face interview.

Investment Associate Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in January 2014.

Applied online (via job post on university's career site), including a personality test and essay questions. Recruiters inform candidates two weeks before the interview date. The interview consists of one group discussion, and one one-on-one discussion (the questions are standardized, but more focusing on personal traits)

Interview Questions
    • How to lead group discussion (they observe your behavior during group discussion)   Answer Question

Procurement - Sourcing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in February 2011.

These people are CRAZY! Before the interview, I was asked to take a Myers-Briggs test. The in-person interview strategy included 1 hour sessions with 5-8 people. One person's interview is intentionally designated as Confrontational - designed to provoke the interviewee to anger. My headhunter was prohibited from letting me know this in advance. The entire day is recorded and you are forced to sign an incredibly one-sided NDA permitting BW to do whatever they wish with your interview tape. I interviewed with 3 permanent employees and 2 who were temp's (flying in from other states once a week and put up in hotels by BW). The temp's were clearly going to be displaced by the new hire. Once off camera in the lunch room, one of the temp's told me to "think very carefully" about whether I wanted to work at BW. This temp was the only one who seemed to have any relevant experience and not a BW zombie. None of the permanent employees seemed to have a clue about basic procurement strategies. All of the permanent employees were odd, zombie-like people who spewed lots of the corporate phrases like "radical need for the truth" and spoke of Ray Dalio like he was a demi-god. Given all I had heard about BW, I was very unimpressed with the low level, unsophisticated nature of the procurement operations. Someone who had no knowledge of my commodity area was tasked with asking me a lot of specific questions that they themselves did not know the answers to. Several people mentioned the work hours are 8am to 8pm EVERY DAY. I was very clear that I would NEVER work those kind of hours every day. Also, I noticed in the lunch room that the average employee age seemed to be low 20's -- making the place feel very unprofessional and college dorm-ish. As a mid-career professional, I felt really old. The confrontational interviewer was really young (28-30 years old) but was the highest ranking person in the group. She had been at BW her entire working life and clearly didn't know much about procurement either, but she was very well versed with the cult-like BW confrontational game. Oddly enough, BW thought the salary was really high, but it turns out it wasn't. The day after my interview, my headhunter told me that BW decided to withdraw the position listing. Later, I noticed a similar position announcement with $30k added to the salary. Unless you are interested in being lobotimized, AVOID this company - it is the Stepford Wives corporate equivalent!

Interview Questions
    • The confrontational interview was really unexpected. It took me a while to realize that they were merely trying to provoke to anger on purpose. The interviewer seemed very frustrated that she had such a difficult time provoking me. She finally kept saying "I don't understand" when I described my previous work. I was thinking she was really stupid and kept trying to "dumb it down" for her. She seemed like a very political, crafty type and very young to be so jaded.   View Answer

Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in July 2012.

Applied via my university's online career portal and received an email interview invitation about 2 weeks later. Since I had JUST moved back to LA from NYC, they gladly arranged a flight, ground transportation and hotel.

Group interview morning was pretty fun! Mix of different personalities and backgrounds, but all one gender (we were a bunch of males evaluated by 2 women and 1 man). They want to see how you articulate yourself and if you're a natural 'leader'. Myself and another prospect were the only people asked to stay on for follow up one on ones later that afternoon (coincidentally, the only Ivy grads).

I got a call in 2 days later for a follow up in Westport. That interview was a 'no bull' interview. Basically, you tell them how you'd do your job if you got it. Not as easy as you'd think.

Receptionist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

I was contacted by email to set up a time where they could call me to discuss the position. The phone interview took about 30 minutes and was not that difficult. They asked about my customer service experience and what were some of my weaknesses in that field are. When I answered a question they would ask me questions about my answer and keep probing me.

Interview Questions
    • What is the three most important skills for customer service?   Answer Question

Trading Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in May 2013.

1. Phone interview - very straightforward and simple, getting to know you, why you want the job, etc.

2. First on site interview. Took several tests and trading simulations, debate against another candidate, deep probing interviews on who I am as a person.

3. Final on site interview - meetings with senior managers, more deep questions on whether it's a good fit.

Not really.

Worked for Bridgewater Associates? Contribute to the Community!