Bridgewater Associates Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
251 interviews

3.6

Trading Associate Interview

I have a quick phone interview with them. They only spend 15 min with me. They didn't talk a lot about this position. I really don't know what they are looking for. I didn't receive face to face interview.

Investment Associate Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in January 2014.

Applied online (via job post on university's career site), including a personality test and essay questions. Recruiters inform candidates two weeks before the interview date. The interview consists of one group discussion, and one one-on-one discussion (the questions are standardized, but more focusing on personal traits)

Interview Questions
    • How to lead group discussion (they observe your behavior during group discussion)   Answer Question

Receptionist Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

I was contacted by email to set up a time where they could call me to discuss the position. The phone interview took about 30 minutes and was not that difficult. They asked about my customer service experience and what were some of my weaknesses in that field are. When I answered a question they would ask me questions about my answer and keep probing me.

Interview Questions
    • What is the three most important skills for customer service?   Answer Question

Procurement - Sourcing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in February 2011.

These people are CRAZY! Before the interview, I was asked to take a Myers-Briggs test. The in-person interview strategy included 1 hour sessions with 5-8 people. One person's interview is intentionally designated as Confrontational - designed to provoke the interviewee to anger. My headhunter was prohibited from letting me know this in advance. The entire day is recorded and you are forced to sign an incredibly one-sided NDA permitting BW to do whatever they wish with your interview tape. I interviewed with 3 permanent employees and 2 who were temp's (flying in from other states once a week and put up in hotels by BW). The temp's were clearly going to be displaced by the new hire. Once off camera in the lunch room, one of the temp's told me to "think very carefully" about whether I wanted to work at BW. This temp was the only one who seemed to have any relevant experience and not a BW zombie. None of the permanent employees seemed to have a clue about basic procurement strategies. All of the permanent employees were odd, zombie-like people who spewed lots of the corporate phrases like "radical need for the truth" and spoke of Ray Dalio like he was a demi-god. Given all I had heard about BW, I was very unimpressed with the low level, unsophisticated nature of the procurement operations. Someone who had no knowledge of my commodity area was tasked with asking me a lot of specific questions that they themselves did not know the answers to. Several people mentioned the work hours are 8am to 8pm EVERY DAY. I was very clear that I would NEVER work those kind of hours every day. Also, I noticed in the lunch room that the average employee age seemed to be low 20's -- making the place feel very unprofessional and college dorm-ish. As a mid-career professional, I felt really old. The confrontational interviewer was really young (28-30 years old) but was the highest ranking person in the group. She had been at BW her entire working life and clearly didn't know much about procurement either, but she was very well versed with the cult-like BW confrontational game. Oddly enough, BW thought the salary was really high, but it turns out it wasn't. The day after my interview, my headhunter told me that BW decided to withdraw the position listing. Later, I noticed a similar position announcement with $30k added to the salary. Unless you are interested in being lobotimized, AVOID this company - it is the Stepford Wives corporate equivalent!

Interview Questions
    • The confrontational interview was really unexpected. It took me a while to realize that they were merely trying to provoke to anger on purpose. The interviewer seemed very frustrated that she had such a difficult time provoking me. She finally kept saying "I don't understand" when I described my previous work. I was thinking she was really stupid and kept trying to "dumb it down" for her. She seemed like a very political, crafty type and very young to be so jaded.   View Answer

Investment Associate Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in March 2013.

Applied through company website, went to the last round in Stamford, CT. The entire process took several months and the overall experience is unique, different from traditional interviews. Be prepared to answer very personal questions during the 1-2 interview.

Trading Associate Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in May 2013.

1. Phone interview - very straightforward and simple, getting to know you, why you want the job, etc.

2. First on site interview. Took several tests and trading simulations, debate against another candidate, deep probing interviews on who I am as a person.

3. Final on site interview - meetings with senior managers, more deep questions on whether it's a good fit.

Not really.

Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in July 2012.

Applied via my university's online career portal and received an email interview invitation about 2 weeks later. Since I had JUST moved back to LA from NYC, they gladly arranged a flight, ground transportation and hotel.

Group interview morning was pretty fun! Mix of different personalities and backgrounds, but all one gender (we were a bunch of males evaluated by 2 women and 1 man). They want to see how you articulate yourself and if you're a natural 'leader'. Myself and another prospect were the only people asked to stay on for follow up one on ones later that afternoon (coincidentally, the only Ivy grads).

I got a call in 2 days later for a follow up in Westport. That interview was a 'no bull' interview. Basically, you tell them how you'd do your job if you got it. Not as easy as you'd think.

Management Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Westport, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in September 2013.

i was directly contacted by a direct sourcer via LinkinIn. Thereafter I was phone screened by a ptoential manager. Thereafter I was passed on to anpother role as I may have over qualified for initial role under consideration. That same day I was asked to come in house for a blitz interview which lasted about 5 hours and was offered a position on the spot

Interview Questions
    • what is your strategy to hire a chief technology officer?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates in April 2014.

Similar to other interview processes below. They bring you in and video-tape the whole interview along with 5 or so others at the same time. Try to play out a game where you discuss leadership keywords and encourage you to speak up as much as possible. They give you lunch and then someone walks in and says the only person they want. Everyone else is expected to leave ASAP. They say they will contact you about why you did not get chosen but you will never hear from them. (Very disappointed in the interviewers - did not think they had much experience themselves in choosing proper candidates for such a prestigious company).

Technology Associate Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

I applied after attending an on-campus information session. They have a strong culture of openness and honesty, and there you get somewhat of a cult vibe from the recruiters. They were all very friendly and down-to-earth, and were also surprisingly fratty, to the point of referring to each other by callsign-esque nicknames. The interview itself was with two employees at once, and featured an audio recorder so they could review my performance after the fact. We dove straight into the case, and I had the chance to ask them questions afterwards. I performed poorly on the case (it was not a good fit, and I had lost my voice and had to speak in a whisper, pretty awkward) and did not get a second round. I believe second rounds were held the very next day, and offers were given out within several days.

Interview Questions
    • The case was an open-ended invitation to identify a problem with elevators and design a software-based solution. The interviewers were aggressive about asking why I chose the topic I did, what I wanted to do with it, etc. They wanted to make sure I could have strong opinions and back them up. I think the process was supposed to mimic a three-way brainstorming session, with me coming up with ideas and them trying to pick them apart. It all felt quite fair.   View Answer

Worked for Bridgewater Associates? Contribute to the Community!