Bridgewater Associates

Updated Dec 13, 2014

3.5

Facilities Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

I applied online – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Was a group interview with some outside the box questions. Multiple people conducting the interview and multiple people receiving the interview a true group interview. At the end of the interview they went to another room and discussed if they wanted to speak one-on-one with anybody in my instance they did not.

Interview Questions
    • Are there any circumstances under which torture is justified?   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

A friend recommended I check Bridgewater out. I met the head recruiter at a recruiting fair, and she was very cool and very nice. I sent in an application online, and got a first round interview. It was a discussion with about 5 other applicants and 3 interviewers sitting around a table. Each of us interviewing was instructed to bring an interesting, open-ended discussion question roughly along the lines of their example question, "If you could make everyone immortal, would you?" It was supposed to be thought-provoking and discussion-provoking. They were interested in seeing how we reasoned and how we thought through interesting questions and problems. I was called the same night and told that I was invited to second-round interviews the next day. I had two second-round interviews, one that was very similar to the first-round (with other applicants), and one that was a behavioral-fit interview.

Interview Questions
    • The behavioral-fit interview was very unusual--the interviewer was intensely interested in figuring out why I spent the time I had spent on the activities listed on my resume, looking for a logically rigourous explanation of how I spent my time. I wasn't ready for this kind of questioning and my answers were not satisfying to her (I could tell).   View Answer

Management Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

I applied through LinkedIn and got a call about three weeks later. The recruiter was incredibly difficult to schedule an interview with; it took multiple calls and emails to finalize a time (I was very flexible with my time requirements so it was entirely on their end). We finally had an interview, which was quite basic and much of it was focused on Bridgewater's "principles" and culture. The recruiter also had a difficult time describing the position and I did not feel like I understood exactly what it entailed.

The recruiter said that they were extremely interested and wanted to bring me in within a few days and would let me know within the day when I should come. Then they did not schedule the interview for nearly two weeks, and then canceled the interview saying that they chose not to continue with my application with no explanation. Dealing with the recruiter was one of the most frustrating experiences I've had, and everyone I worked with on this seemed pretty incompetent.

Edit: Was contacted by a recruiter yet again for a completely different position three weeks later. The recruiter didn't know that I had been contacted once before. The exact same problem happened--they promised I would be scheduled for a second interview within the day, but it's been 10 days, and no answer.

Edit 2: The recruiter got back to me, but wanted me to come in for a completely different position--administrative assistant. He also said that the interview process would be two full days. That's a lot to ask for me to take off work for a position I'm not interested in. I chose not to pursue.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

The interview process was a little over a 1/2 a day, and was group based. You have your standard case study where you work together as a group to come up with a cohesive answer, then you are questioned whether or not you met your goals and succeeded. Bridgewater is really looking to see how you react in certain settings, logic, and common sense. Just be yourself because they see through BS and fake answers, and will grill you until the truth comes out. After the case study is the culture fit portion where two new employees come in and talk about BW and want to get to know you deeper. Don't expect to talk about your past work experiences at all! Make sure you know your strengths and weaknesses, and expect to talk about them on a deeper level. They know exactly the type of people they are looking to hire and have guidelines to follow when grading a person. After lunch 3 people were asked to leave and myself and one other person were asked to stay for further questioning. I talked with two other people about the job position and the department they worked for, they dug into my past work experience and basic job interview questions. I also talked about my college, hobbies, passions, and goals. During the day I felt completely comfortable and myself and loved how they wanted to get to know me personally. Ultimately it wasn't a good cultural fit and I didn't get the position, but I don't regret going on the interview. My advice, be yourself! it's hard to prepare for this interview because you can't change your personality and how you react to certain situations. Ask questions, ask questions, ask questions... they want you to interview them as well.

Interview Questions
    • why do you think the way you think...
      how do you feel about this or that..

Answer Question

Technology Associate Interview

Interview was to show the thinking abilities and values, nothing to do about skills. This was very appealing at the time. The interview also requires you to hold a level of conversations and not start about doing but better about how would you do something.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult really, perhaps one of these standard wanna-be-like-Google-and-similars "how many windows in NYC "   View Answer
    They have first low-ball me then adjusted upon rejection.

Knowledge Management Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

I used a 3rd party recruiter. They have you take the Myers-Briggs (MBTI®) personality test before they invite you for an interview. If you make the cut, they have you in for the first round, which is for behavioral/cultural fit. Total of two rounds. I made it to the final round, but no offer.

Interview Questions
    • Case study: How would you complete an RFP, start to finish, step by step?   View Answer

Data Validation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in October 2014.

Interviewed in a small conference room where they recorded the conversation. Applied to the position through a recruiting agency and was interviewed the following day. The beginning of the interview was fairly standard, a lot of it was the interviewer talking about the position, responsibilities it entails, and answering any questions I had about the position. Continued on by reviewing my resume and experiences. After about half an hour to forty minutes interview questions moved towards the culture of the firm, my understanding, and how I perceived myself interacting in such an environment. Second part was far less formal; a free flowing, organic conversation. I received feedback on the spot (it is something they do) from my interviewer on how I performed. I later had a phone interview that was entirely behavioral where they asked questions that "probe". Questions such as problems I had encountered, why these problems manifested and if they were related to my personal values and principles.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you found a better way of doing something and how you communicated that to your superiors, their reaction, and your reaction.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in October 2014.

Applied through a staffing agency that placed an ad on my college's alumni page. After confirming that they liked my resume, had a brief phone interview. Then had to complete personality exams, watch various videos, and prepare for the interview.

Once I got onto Bridgewater's campus, my experience was rather negative. I did not get the vibe that they were a family, like their videos claim. The people I met were a bit full of themselves, and the whole process seemed quite formulaic and cold.

My major advice to anyone applying would be to be very, very careful on what you put on the personality surveys before going in. I felt like they had a set perception of me, and did their best to take everything I said and connect it back to that perception. I never understood how people can simultaneously challenge you to question and challenge everything, but somehow believe that they are the only ones who know what objective truth is.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in October 2014.

I was contacted by a campus recruiter. I spoke to the recruiter on the phone for about 15 minutes. Then I was sent an application with a series of personality tests. After that I was invited to interview at their office in Westport, Connecticut.

Interview Questions
    • Debate of if Ebola patients should be quarantined or not and where that ends. Should all people with illnesses be quarantined?   Answer Question

Investment Associate Summer Interview

The first interview takes place with a small set of individuals. Each person is required to come with a question or dilemma to present. After a question is decided upon, the group engages in a debate, which the interviewer participates in.

Interview Questions
    • The question depends on the set of possible questions introduced by the other interviewees.   Answer Question