Bridgewater Associates Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

3.6

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

Interview process went fast. I applied online an was asked to take a bunch of tests. Then had a phone interview and got invited to a campus. 5h interview was exhausting.

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT).

Interview

The process was slow at first (starting 21 days before my interview) and was eventually slapdash, including the company wanting to recall me from a personal trip before changing their mind (I-7). The process was meant to last for a few hours in the morning but ended up taking all day. It was mentally exhausting, but quite interesting (I+0). I was told before my last interview that I would probably get an offer, then I was told afterwards that they wanted to call a reference and would give me an offer after that. The next day (I+1)I made sure my previous employer was aware and they scheduled a time with BW outside of normal hours to do the call, however BW forgot to call. It took another week (I+8) for them to reschedule the reference call. Two days later (I+10) I got a verbal offer via phone and a commitment to get me a physical offer shortly after (~I+12). I sent a pair of emails when the offer didn't come, and it ended up taking until I+21 for my package to arrive. In general, while my interviewers were interesting and I enjoyed discussions with them, I found the process to be comically poorly managed and confusing.

Interview Questions

• They ask several questions and try to force you to discuss your own weaknesses. It's not a conventional process by any means, but if you're honest, capable of recognizing flaws, and somewhat comfortable analyzing those flaws, you'll be fine.   Answer Question

While the people were interesting, Bridgewater wouldn't offer me the skill set I want to have to achieve my long term goals. I also felt I would be frustrated with something they refer to as "the trains not running on time."

Technology Lead Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

Very weird. A lot of personal questions and cornering you into spots where you have to take negative feedback about what you said wrong or did wrong. A lot of personality tests to tell you about you.

Interview Questions

• Algoritms and data structures. Nothing at all about specific technology.   Answer Question

Investment Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

Company culture is intense, and they are intense about the company's culture. The personality quiz and all of the slide shows alone take up a good bit of time. I would definitely like to see more of this style interview process with other companies.

Business Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Wilton, CT) in May 2015.

Interview

Confusing and drawn out. People were nice but I spent seven hours at the campus without even a clear idea of what job I was interviewing for. Group discussion is interesting idea, but you'll also spend a significant period of time watching videos about the company. I found them interesting, but some may find them an unnecessary waste of time. Coordinators of the interview were helpful and kind, and a delicious lunch was served.

Business Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied for a temp job through a recruiter, who told me to check the Bridgewater website, study the videos about their culture carefully, and if I thought I could fit into that type of environment, call. Long story short, my resume was sent; within one week, the recruiter called me that they wanted to interview me in person in a "blitz" setting where they interview multiple candidates at once, always focusing on the "culture". I received emails from HR specifying the date of the interview. I never received confirmation, and the recruiter informed me they changed their mind, and would let me know of next steps. Finally I got a phone screen that lasted about 20 minutes from an HR rep. The call ended cordially, and the person stated I might fit into some roles, and some roles not. I had the impression after the call that I would be invited to the office to discuss roles with some team leaders to further decide if I was a "fit." Six days later, I received a call from the recruiter that they decided not to pursue my candidacy.

Interview Questions

• All questions centered around culture, goals, why did I want to work there, what were some of my weaknesses, would I be able to criticize a senior person, etc. Nothing about my background or skill level. Prior to this interview, I was required to study a case that HR sent me about Bridgewater's culture that took about 1.5 hrs to review; also had to complete various on line assessments that took about 45 minutes.   1 Answer

Technology Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates (Westport, CT) in May 2015.

Interview

Quick interview process. I applied through a referral and was immediately contacted by a recruiter. The recruiter was very helpful and also assigned me a bunch of online aptitude tests and programming assignments which is quite difficult and time consuming. It was finding a server deadlock and they explained the question. The recruiter also set up the technical phone screen. The phone screen lasted not more than 45 minutes sprinkled with technical difficulties of the phone getting dropped. The interviewer seemed snappy because of that and seemed to have cut the interview short. The recruiter had promised to respond right away after the interview but went cold turkey on me. Would not respond to a single email (he was very prompt before the interview). Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• The interview question was an OOP design for the game Guess Who. It was a single technical question and you have to go into a lot of depth of the design. You have to think of each variable and function in each class that you create.   Answer Question

Investment Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in May 2015.

Interview

The process consisted of a phone interview that lasted approximately 30 min. After the phone interview, I was prompted to complete some online personality tests. A phone interview was scheduled with the investment engineering team and I was given a problem in Excel to solve at submit. The problem was fairly difficult, as I was expected to complete population trends from raw data. The interviewer called me unexpectedly for the interview (I was not informed about the time), and we went over the work that I did.

Interview Questions

• Which data did you use to create your population trend for school age children?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Interview

Initial coding of problem in 3 days, so lot of time for that, after coding test is done, they ask for phone interview, mainly to see you fit in their culture of radical transparency. After phone interview they asked me for on sight interview. At on sight they tested me on algorithms which was fine and asked me talk about two technical projects I have worked on, which in my case was not very strong.
    Initially they had scheduled me for discussions and showing their video too but after my second round (describing two technical projects)of technical interview they asked me to leave so I knew I am not getting the offer.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in April 2015.

Interview

I had the best interview experience. From HR providing driving directions and an overview of the day, to the interview evaluation. It was so impressive with such a good interview arrangement, yet they are still looking for improvement. I don’t believe in “perfect” because there is always a room for improvement, but this time I just can’t think of any.