Bridgewater Associates

Updated Dec 17, 2014

3.4

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Management Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

They want to see how well you think. They're looking for smart people who can thrive in their culture, not for particular finance or management skills. They want you to argue clearly, show an ability to change your mind, and be absolutely sincere. The other reviewers say it all. This isn't like a typical interview. You'll be asked to take and defend positions on political and philosophical topics. It's a good experience, and well worth your time even if you're skeptical of the place. They're aware that people might just want to make a ton of money and work somewhere prestigious, and they aren't looking for people like that.

Other Interview Reviews for Bridgewater Associates

Management Associate Interview

A friend recommended I check Bridgewater out. I met the head recruiter at a recruiting fair, and she was very cool and very nice. I sent in an application online, and got a first round interview. It was a discussion with about 5 other applicants and 3 interviewers sitting around a table. Each of us interviewing was instructed to bring an interesting, open-ended discussion question roughly along the lines of their example question, "If you could make everyone immortal, would you?" It was supposed to be thought-provoking and discussion-provoking. They were interested in seeing how we reasoned and how we thought through interesting questions and problems. I was called the same night and told that I was invited to second-round interviews the next day. I had two second-round interviews, one that was very similar to the first-round (with other applicants), and one that was a behavioral-fit interview.

Interview Questions
    • The behavioral-fit interview was very unusual--the interviewer was intensely interested in figuring out why I spent the time I had spent on the activities listed on my resume, looking for a logically rigourous explanation of how I spent my time. I wasn't ready for this kind of questioning and my answers were not satisfying to her (I could tell).   View Answer

Management Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

I applied through LinkedIn and got a call about three weeks later. The recruiter was incredibly difficult to schedule an interview with; it took multiple calls and emails to finalize a time (I was very flexible with my time requirements so it was entirely on their end). We finally had an interview, which was quite basic and much of it was focused on Bridgewater's "principles" and culture. The recruiter also had a difficult time describing the position and I did not feel like I understood exactly what it entailed.

The recruiter said that they were extremely interested and wanted to bring me in within a few days and would let me know within the day when I should come. Then they did not schedule the interview for nearly two weeks, and then canceled the interview saying that they chose not to continue with my application with no explanation. Dealing with the recruiter was one of the most frustrating experiences I've had, and everyone I worked with on this seemed pretty incompetent.

Edit: Was contacted by a recruiter yet again for a completely different position three weeks later. The recruiter didn't know that I had been contacted once before. The exact same problem happened--they promised I would be scheduled for a second interview within the day, but it's been 10 days, and no answer.

Edit 2: The recruiter got back to me, but wanted me to come in for a completely different position--administrative assistant. He also said that the interview process would be two full days. That's a lot to ask for me to take off work for a position I'm not interested in. I chose not to pursue.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in October 2014.

I was contacted by a campus recruiter. I spoke to the recruiter on the phone for about 15 minutes. Then I was sent an application with a series of personality tests. After that I was invited to interview at their office in Westport, Connecticut.

Interview Questions
    • Debate of if Ebola patients should be quarantined or not and where that ends. Should all people with illnesses be quarantined?   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

They called me to go through the process. They did not provide any job description. Fist phase is to complete a series of personality tests. Later they did a phone interview. Finally a in person interview. Once in the interview they asked me about my life. They call this "a life interview". After the life interview, they told me that they were going to get back to me.

Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

Like nothing else. The interview is a mix of discussion of philosophical issues with your peers and a few BW people, and personal interviews where an employee asks you to justify your life choices. You are expected to engage on a level employers rarely expect — possibly for good reason. The interview, like the company, felt somehow both violating and revelatory. I was discussing my childhood, passions, relationship with my father at an interview to work at a hedge fund. This seems entirely irrelevant but is indicative of what you'll be seeing should you take a job at Bridgewater. The deep focus on individual strengths and weaknesses can be a beautiful thing and can be very, very unpleasant. Lots of personality testing as well; expect to spend a few hours testing in advance of your debate.

Interview Questions
    • The interview is comprised of surprising philosophical questions. Traditional finance interview prep will not help you.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, the offer is absurdly good

Management Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

First round- group discussion.
    Second round - group discussion followed by a life interview/ another discussion (alone) with two panelists depending on how you fared in the debate session prior to that.

Interview Questions
    • Debate went on to classic age and Haiti situation in the second round   Answer Question

Management Associate Interview

I applied online and was contacted within 1.5 weeks for a phone interview. Prior to the interview I was sent a series of online assessments. These assignments are important, and you should go over them well. I had my phone interview and was asked a few questions in regards to my decision-making. I received an email 1 week later saying they were pursuing other candidates.

Management Associate Interview

Interview Questions
    • Group Discussion for 1 hour; 4-5 people in a group; each participant presents one topic; Interviewer chose 1-2 topics   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgeport, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgeport, CT

Applied online, received an email to complete four psychological assessments. After approximately two weeks I received an email stating that they "...were unable to find a suitable role at this time. We will keep your resume on file and will contact you should a position open that we feel may be a fit for someone with your strengths and qualifications. "