Bridgewater Associates

Employer Engaged

Bridgewater Associates Software Developer Interview Questions

3.7

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

It's one thing to hear about Bridgewater's strange culture, another to experience it firsthand. I interviewed for a Software Engineer position with them in 2010, and had been warned that it was "cult-like". I breezed through the initial call and programming challenge they sent me, and remember thinking "this seems pretty normal".

Then they sent me an electronic copy of Ray Dalio's book and told me I was going to be quizzed on it in three days.

This was where things started to get weird. I spoke with two people from management who seemed to be deliberately trying to throw me off balance. They briefly asked about the book, but I get the sense that the real test was in how I reacted under pressure, and whether I could offer "honest feedback" (read: blunt and critical to a point that would have been harmful to team cohesiveness in a work situation). They would deliberately try to lead me on to agreeing with them on things that were outright wrong, and seemed frustrated when I called them on it. They started probing pretty insistently into my personal life: what type of people did I hang out with? What do I do after work? Why? Do I really want the job? How do I know I really want the job?

After about an hour of this, I decided I actually didn't want the job if that was the way the culture was set up, and cut the interview process off myself.

Interview Questions
  • What's the dumbest thing that a past company you've worked at has done, and how did you react to it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bridgewater Associates

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in January 2014.

First, I received a coding problem as a 'homework'. I would say the problem was fairly easy.

One week later, I had a phone interview with a manager. It lasted 15 minutes, we (briefly) talked about my last experience, my solution to the problem, I even had some time to ask questions about the position.

One week later, I got an email saying I was not selected for in-person interview as I did not detect issues in my solution - No, I only explained my choice and proposed scalability improvements, which did not trigger any interest from the interviewer as he did not question it.

Since they recorded the phone interview, and the company praises on its website its transparency, I gently requested a copy of the record for my personal review. I never received anything.

Their principles are great, I am still wondering about the rest...

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in November 2013.

Initial phone interview, not too unusual. Asked technical and background questions. Interviewers probed background questions to see how well I responded to persistent questioning. Asked to complete coding challenge and personality test and go to firm for second interview, which consisted of 3 hour-long interviews. First was a technical interview, second was a debate-style interview, last was a fit interview.

Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Bridgewater Associates.

The process started with a "take home" coding problem (given an article, write a program that computes how many times each distinct word appears). Fairly easy problem, and you can use any language of your choice. No time limit, but it should be doable in a couple of hours.

It was followed by a phone interview with a manager. The conversation was actually completely non-technical, and mostly involved finding out "why" I made the choices in my career and how I dealt with certain professional situations. He also asked about my opinions on where my current company is headed in its industry, and its high level business strategy. What they wanted to see is if the candidate has strong opinions on a subject, and whether he/she can articulate and communicate these ideas clearly. Bridgewater's culture is heavily based on "truthful" communications to the point of brutal honesty, and the interviewer's attitude reflected that culture quite clearly.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think defines the high level strategy of your company? What differentiates your company's products from those of your competitors?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in October 2012.

Read interview posts here and ready for unusual tactics for the phone interview. Was surprised as it was a normal interview. Technical questions and then job wa.s explained in great detail. I was told I receive a call from my recruiter. Interviewee also said that their enviromnet is different and it does promote independent thinking which some people don't like.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself and why should we hire you?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in May 2012.

a lot of question about their principle.
    general questions about how to approach non-technical problems.
    question about past mistakes and how to handle.
    need to be wiling to face 'truth'

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in September 2011.

I was contacted by a recruiter who told me about Bridgewater Associates and its work culture. He asked me if I could fit in such a work environment. I read all about their culture and interview process from this website and others, so I knew what to expect and prepared not only to speak about my current experience, but also to prepare for their "culture" screening as well.

The recruiter scheduled a phone interview with the Bridgewater Associates employer. I was contacted and asked question about my resume and the technologies I knew. They have not contacted me yet with their decision.

Interview Questions
    • How do you debug a race condition in multithreading?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in May 2011.

Had weird experience with this company. I got an easy programming test. Didn't recognize few design pattern names but as soon as they explained - I let them know the answers. The interview was with one senior person and few junior ones. The senior person seemed very narrow minded with a limited object oriented design experience. The junior people where also confused at times and seems to have dificulty understanding some of the aspects of the design that they asked me to make.
    Overal - the whole place looked a little bit artificial.

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bridgewater Associates in October 2009.

I applied on Bridgewater's website and got a email some weeks later. They asked me to do a coding problem. The coding problem is not hard and I had 1 week to finish. Then they called for a phone interview. They asked some questions about the resume and discussed my solution to the coding problem. Within one week they called me for the onsite interview. The onsite interview includes one round technical and one round behavioral. The behavioral is very strange, they let you choose one public policy topic out of four and discuss the topic with two interviewers. They want to know your thinking process and want to know whether you fit their culture.
    Not surprisingly, got a rejection right after the interviews.
    Culture fit is really very important for bridgewater. Look at their philosophy on their website and think about it before the interview

Interview Questions
    • Choose one out of four public policy topics and discuss it with two employers. They will dig into your thinking process and try to figure out how you think   Answer Question