Brigham Young University (BYU) Interview Questions

Updated Sep 7, 2014
Updated Sep 7, 2014

2.5

Research Development Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in August 2012.

It began with an online submission of my resume and cover letter to the job opportunity on BYU student employment website. Following that I received an email asking for additional information.Once they received that email and decided to progress with my application i was invited in for an interview. The interview was fairly straightforward and standard, We talked mainly about hours and pay as well as qualifications and expectations. After the interview, I received a phone call two days later offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were given little direction to solve a problem and how did you handle it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    Didn't attempt to negotiate

Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in May 2012.

All based on who you know. Positions may appear open, but are often filled by those who have already been "roadmapped". However, faculty and staff are very kind and open during the actual interview. Upon employment I was treated very well and allowed to build my skill set on paid time.

Interview Questions
    • What is a situation in which you handled sensitive information?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in April 2010.

Very simple, take the GRE, score appropriately, and pass you undergrad courses with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. The real trick is to impress the professor that you want to work for so that you can research the topics that you really want.

Interview Questions
    • Had to pass the finals from all of my core classes in undergrad to guarantee my acceptance into the program.
      It mostly depends on the professor that you want to work for in their area of research.
        Answer Question
    None.

Warehouse Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in August 2013.

Very low-key, everyone is very laid-back and friendly. EVERYONE. It's awesome. Sure, I never got a pay raise in the 8 months I worked there because upper-upper management was trying to lay off warehouse workers and my manager was fighting to keep us all...but that was ok.

Interview Questions
    • None, really. They just want to see if you're a hard worker.   Answer Question

Writing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in April 2010.

I saw a job posting online. I contacted the office and they set up an interview. I did a writing test and passed the test. I did better than the other applicants and so got the offer. I took the job and began work. Worked with financial people to get direct deposit of my earnings.

Interview Questions
    • There was a lot of work to be sometimes under a tight time crunch. I was always able to get the work done, but it was very stressful sometimes. I guess the key to this job is ability to work quickly under pressure and be able to make quick decisions about your work without asking for help. You need to be resourceful and smart. If you have a question when there's a time crunch, you need to take initiative to figure out the answer instead of relying on others.   Answer Question
    No negotiation was allowed as this was part-time.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in April 2013.

The interview process was fairly straightforward. I met with a few students on the web team who asked a series of questions. There were 3 application questions which dealt with the following: 1) HTML syntax 2) a programming challenge in your preferred programming language and 3) a database question. After this first round, if they liked you, they had you come back and meet with the full-time supervisor for a second round interview which was more of a sit-down and get to know you.

Interview Questions
    • Design a database to handle classes and students and be able to find what classes a student is taking and what students are in a class.   Answer Question

Help Desk Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in August 2010.

Standard interview process for a part time job position. Asked about experience and how well I work in a team environment.

No negotiation

Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in November 2012.

I applied online and then emailed the hiring agent directly to make sure my application was received. I was invited in for an interview, met with my supervisor and her assistant, and was called a few days later with the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a difficult patron while simultaneously managing a phone or email?   Answer Question

Laboratory Manager Interview

I had been working in the lab for several years and so there was no interview involved.

I researched what the market value was, and told them the services I provided and then provided the amount I thought was reasonable. The offer I negotiated was agreed upon.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in January 2010.

There was a phone interview about my general experiences and goals. Then they sent a take-home programming challenge written in javascript. They usually interview candidates who turn in a completed challenge regardless of correctness.
    The in-person interview was with three other engineers. They asked a couple general experiences questions and then had me write code on the board. The problem wasn't too hard and they gave a lot of hints and help along the way.

Interview Questions
    • give an algorithm in O(n logn) or less that takes an array of integers and finds two numbers that add to a third given number   Answer Question
    no negotiations

Worked for Brigham Young University (BYU)? Contribute to the Community!