Brigham Young University (BYU) Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014

2.5

Warehouse Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in August 2013.

Very low-key, everyone is very laid-back and friendly. EVERYONE. It's awesome. Sure, I never got a pay raise in the 8 months I worked there because upper-upper management was trying to lay off warehouse workers and my manager was fighting to keep us all...but that was ok.

Interview Questions
    • None, really. They just want to see if you're a hard worker.   Answer Question

BYU - Student Custodian Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in August 2013.

Great job! Especially for a student. Supervisor was super chill. He wanted to make sure the student could handle the work rather than just know that he could work you to the bone. Honestly, I was a warm body and the job has a high turnover rate as a student job.

Interview Questions
    • Really, probably when he asked if I could keep the schedule. He wanted an employee, but he didn't want one that would only show up half the time.   Answer Question
    Since it's BYU, pay was set and they would not negotiate. It's just expected that you'll get a raise every semester if you're a decent employee for just staying on.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU).

The interview and hiring process was really easy. A friend let me know that Independent Study was hiring and I sent in a resume. I was contacted for an interview a few days later and then had the interview. I followed up a few days later to see if there was anything else I could do and then a few days later I was hired. The interview was simple, really basic questions like "tell me about yourself" and "what is your biggest weakness?" It was a super cliche interview and if you take anytime to prepare you should do well. The key is to show you are outgoing and friendly and that you will fit in well.

They tell you that you will be paid minimum wage.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in April 2013.

The interview process was fairly straightforward. I met with a few students on the web team who asked a series of questions. There were 3 application questions which dealt with the following: 1) HTML syntax 2) a programming challenge in your preferred programming language and 3) a database question. After this first round, if they liked you, they had you come back and meet with the full-time supervisor for a second round interview which was more of a sit-down and get to know you.

Interview Questions
    • Design a database to handle classes and students and be able to find what classes a student is taking and what students are in a class.   Answer Question

Benefits Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in February 2013.

Communication was very professional and carried out formally. Overall, three interviews were conducted. I had an initial interview with all colleagues and the director in the office. This was the most rigorous, as each individual on the panel (about 7) asked at least two interview questions. The questions tended to be behavioral questions with a focus on the work I would be doing.

Then I had a second interview, which was a one-on-one with the Vice President of HR. Very nice, approachable, and conversational. No real interview questions. More of a "getting-to-know-you" type interaction.

The third and final interview was a setting much like the first, but a smaller panel of interviewers. It consisted of colleagues in the office that weren't able to attend the first interview, and tended to be less rigorous than the first, mostly due to the smaller volume of questions.

All communication was done by phone or email. It was very prompt. The hiring manager was extremely nice, and even provided some help with the process.

The day after the last interview I received my offer, and immediately accepted.

Cataloger Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU).

I worked as a student in the library during my schooling and needed a job after graduation, but as a staff employee. I contacted my previous boss to see if they were looking for anyone in that department and he said they were. So I sent my resume to his boss and she called me in for an interview. It went well and she offered me a job on the spot.

Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in November 2012.

I applied online and then emailed the hiring agent directly to make sure my application was received. I was invited in for an interview, met with my supervisor and her assistant, and was called a few days later with the offer.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a difficult patron while simultaneously managing a phone or email?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in September 2012.

I was notified of the position in a department email. I filled out the application and sent in my resume. I received a phone call from the project manager and he asked me questions about my ability to be punctual and reliable. He asked me to describe a time when I was reliable. He was mainly worried about me messing up the data collection. I told him that I was always on time to my custodial job and that convinced him.

Interview Questions
    There was nothing to negotiate. I was able to choose my schedule but that's about it.

Research Development Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in August 2012.

It began with an online submission of my resume and cover letter to the job opportunity on BYU student employment website. Following that I received an email asking for additional information.Once they received that email and decided to progress with my application i was invited in for an interview. The interview was fairly straightforward and standard, We talked mainly about hours and pay as well as qualifications and expectations. After the interview, I received a phone call two days later offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were given little direction to solve a problem and how did you handle it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    Didn't attempt to negotiate

Student Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in June 2012.

I work for BYU Independent Study. Mostly the questions were based on the nature of the job, including how to handle difficult phone calls, and how to advocate for students of Independent Study. Overall it was a very good experience, and I was hired quickly. Working at BYU is fantastic, because we get to choose our own hours and its easy to get time off to study for tests or do homework.

Interview Questions
    • How would you best handle an angry student or parent on the phone?   Answer Question