Brigham Young University (BYU)

www.byu.edu

Relevance Date Difficulty

Secretary Interview

Secretary
Provo, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in May 2012.

Interview Details – All based on who you know. Positions may appear open, but are often filled by those who have already been "roadmapped". However, faculty and staff are very kind and open during the actual interview. Upon employment I was treated very well and allowed to build my skill set on paid time.

Interview Question – What is a situation in which you handled sensitive information?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Provo, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in April 2010.

Interview Details – Very simple, take the GRE, score appropriately, and pass you undergrad courses with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. The real trick is to impress the professor that you want to work for so that you can research the topics that you really want.

Interview Question – Had to pass the finals from all of my core classes in undergrad to guarantee my acceptance into the program.
It mostly depends on the professor that you want to work for in their area of research.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Warehouse Worker Interview

Warehouse Worker
Provo, UT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in August 2013.

Interview Details – Very low-key, everyone is very laid-back and friendly. EVERYONE. It's awesome. Sure, I never got a pay raise in the 8 months I worked there because upper-upper management was trying to lay off warehouse workers and my manager was fighting to keep us all...but that was ok.

Interview Question – None, really. They just want to see if you're a hard worker.   Answer Question

Writing Interview

Writing
Provo, UT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in April 2010.

Interview Details – I saw a job posting online. I contacted the office and they set up an interview. I did a writing test and passed the test. I did better than the other applicants and so got the offer. I took the job and began work. Worked with financial people to get direct deposit of my earnings.

Interview Question – There was a lot of work to be sometimes under a tight time crunch. I was always able to get the work done, but it was very stressful sometimes. I guess the key to this job is ability to work quickly under pressure and be able to make quick decisions about your work without asking for help. You need to be resourceful and smart. If you have a question when there's a time crunch, you need to take initiative to figure out the answer instead of relying on others.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was allowed as this was part-time.

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
Provo, UT

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in April 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was fairly straightforward. I met with a few students on the web team who asked a series of questions. There were 3 application questions which dealt with the following: 1) HTML syntax 2) a programming challenge in your preferred programming language and 3) a database question. After this first round, if they liked you, they had you come back and meet with the full-time supervisor for a second round interview which was more of a sit-down and get to know you.

Interview Question – Design a database to handle classes and students and be able to find what classes a student is taking and what students are in a class.   Answer Question

Help Desk Engineer Interview

Help Desk Engineer
Provo, UT

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in August 2010.

Interview Details – Standard interview process for a part time job position. Asked about experience and how well I work in a team environment.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Secretary Interview

Secretary
Provo, UT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and then emailed the hiring agent directly to make sure my application was received. I was invited in for an interview, met with my supervisor and her assistant, and was called a few days later with the offer.

Interview Question – How do you handle a difficult patron while simultaneously managing a phone or email?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Provo, UT

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in January 2010.

Interview Details – There was a phone interview about my general experiences and goals. Then they sent a take-home programming challenge written in javascript. They usually interview candidates who turn in a completed challenge regardless of correctness.
The in-person interview was with three other engineers. They asked a couple general experiences questions and then had me write code on the board. The problem wasn't too hard and they gave a lot of hints and help along the way.

Interview Question – give an algorithm in O(n logn) or less that takes an array of integers and finds two numbers that add to a third given number   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

Very Easy Interview

Student Employee Interview

Student Employee
Provo, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in April 2012.

Interview Details – Fairly simple. Find a friend who knows the number of the person doing the hiring and scheduling. Give them a call, before you know it you have a shift that very night. There is no interview process, it's just a matter of who you call. NEVER apply via the online job board, the employers will never look at that.

Interview Question – None, when can you work?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Provo, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in September 2012.

Interview Details – I was notified of the position in a department email. I filled out the application and sent in my resume. I received a phone call from the project manager and he asked me questions about my ability to be punctual and reliable. He asked me to describe a time when I was reliable. He was mainly worried about me messing up the data collection. I told him that I was always on time to my custodial job and that convinced him.

Interview Question – There were really no hard questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was nothing to negotiate. I was able to choose my schedule but that's about it.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Brigham Young University (BYU)

Worked for Brigham Young University (BYU)? Contribute to the Community!