Brigham Young University (BYU)

www.byu.edu
  www.byu.edu

Brigham Young University (BYU) Teaching Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Nov 25, 2014
Updated Nov 25, 2014

1.5

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Teaching Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU).

The best way to get hired as a TA is to build a relationship with the professor you want to TA for and do well in their class. You need to participate in class discussions, but also visit the professor outside of class. Mention to them early that you would be interested in TAing for them.

Interview Questions
There was no negotiation phase, position terms were cut and dry.

Other Interview Reviews for Brigham Young University (BYU)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

The process took a dayinterviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU) in April 2009.

Very easy. I just had to do well in the class and then ask the teacher after the semester was over.

Teaching Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Brigham Young University (BYU).

I was approached by a professor who needed a new teaching assistant. I'd only had this professor for one semester but had performed very well in a small class. He gave me an overview of the requirements, salary and a job application; I submitted it and was hired. There was some paperwork to fill out in the Wilk Employment Office but overall it was fairly painless. After I'd had a semester of assisting under my belt, another professor (whom I'd had for many classes) asked me if I'd feel comfortable TA'ing for two professors at once. My experience was very similar to most of the other TAs' I knew--professors handpick TAs from their own classrooms. If you want to be a TA, be prepared to go above and beyond in one of your classes.

Interview Questions
    • My professors were mostly concerned with my class schedule; conflicts would have made it impossible for me to TA, obviously.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. All teaching assistants start out at the same base pay and receive raises if they stick with it for consecutive semesters.