Brigham and Women's Hospital

Updated Nov 1, 2014

2.7

Administrative Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Brigham and Women's Hospital in November 2012.

There are six rounds of interviews in three hours with past fellows and three vice presidents. Talking with the vice presidents was a pleasure and exciting experience. The culture there is to pursue excellence. People there are highly educated. Their recruiting process is very professional, e.g. they mailed the detailed interview schedule and some of their brochures for us to understand the organization.

Interview Questions
    • How is the Deland fellowship distinguish itself from other fellowships in other hospitals?   View Answer

Lab Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Brigham and Women's Hospital in January 2009.

I met with Co- Director and was interviewed for 15 minutes before being offered the position. I was not fully prepared for the expectations of the position but when you are in a competitive environment you have to expect that. It took a few months to connect with enough people to develop the network I needed to properly complete the projects I was assigned to complete. It was a challenging experience both as a Lab Supervisor and as a manager.

Interview Questions
    • I found that communication was not straight forward. Often individuals were not clear about their timelines.   View Answer
    I wanted to get my foot in the door. I accepted the position knowing I was worth more. One has to be realistic when you are in a very competitive organisation.

Licensed Practical Nurse Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Brigham and Women's Hospital in April 2012.

I submitted an online application with HR. Within about a week, I heard from a nurse recruiter who asked me some basic questions over the phone about my past experience and what i was looking for in a future position. She told me she'd forward my application to both the manager for the job I applied for and for a few similar positions that we discussed. She called back the next day to schedule am interview for two of those positions. The job I actually took included an interview with my future direct manager and the nursing director. A week later they called to schedule a phone interview with the practice's medical director. After the phone interview, I was called by HR to "follow up" at their building, which turned out to be the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a past project or team experience that did NOT go well. How could you have changed things?   View Answer
    None. They have a pay-scale that corresponds to years of experience. It's pre-calculated with little wiggle-room.

Lab Technician Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Brigham and Women's Hospital.

The interview process was straightforward but somewhat lengthy-- a brief meeting with the lab director and a tour was followed by several meetings with different groups of lab techs (1-4 people at a time) who each asked similar questions. Understandable enough because the lab is quite busy, but I believe the interview took about two hours. Great work environment, though; everyone was very friendly throughout the process. Despite trying to get in touch with the director, I didn't hear back about the position until about six weeks later (though I'm sure if I'd been hired it would have been sooner).

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty standard, but I was also asked about past lab experience, familiarity with specific tests, etc.   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Brigham and Women's Hospital in February 2010.

Consisted in a Phone interview and 1:1. Technical questions.

Transplant Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Brigham and Women's Hospital in November 2011.

I first met with the head surgeon and administrator .
    The next day, I met for 4 hours with various members of the team. Very organized.

Interview Questions
    • Why was I applying where I had no experience in the field?   View Answer

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Brigham and Women's Hospital in January 2010.

I applied online and was contacted a couple of months later for an interview. The interview process involved two separate site-visits. During the first visit, I met over 2 days with faculty of my current department, the head of the department, and gave a research presentation of the science I had already done. They took me to dinner and the next day I had another full day of meetings and a "chalk-talk", where I presented work that I might like to do if I came there. Approximately a month or so later, they invited me back to spend another two days talking to people, but not giving any presentations. The offer came a month or so later.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think this is the right place for you to start your independent research career?   View Answer
    Uncomfortable negotiation. They wanted to offer me less then other places. But I was able to negotiate a bonus to be used for housing, money for moving expenses, and salary.

Research Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Brigham and Women's Hospital in January 2014.

It took a while to schedule the interview, but it was a very informative experience. I spoke to about 7 people, some of whom were very friendly others who were a bit more terse. They also seemed a little miffed about the idea of me applying for grad school in a few years. In the end they decided they wanted someone with more technical experience.

Interview Questions
    • The answer (not the question) threw me on this one. "Why do you hope to do working here"
      I gave an answer about how I enjoyed the research they were doing, and how I wanted to contribute. I also said it would be nice to start to make a dent in my college loans. His answer "Well, that's not a good plan. Boston's an expensive place to live and we don't pay much."
        View Answer

Research Technician Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Brigham and Women's Hospital.

I first had a phone interview with the Research Tech who'd I would be taking over for. I was asked about what previous research experience... research techniques I was proficient at... my long term plan...what I liked most about research.

In person interview with the PI I was asked the information above as well as what my weakness was.

All in all, typical research technician interview questions.

Technical Research Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Brigham and Women's Hospital in August 2010.

The job posting was found on craigslist (in 2010) and my CV/cover letter were promptly responded to. I traveled to Boston for an onsite interview and was told I was "over qualified" for the position. I was unexpectedly asked to interview for a different position under a different supervisor. Overall, the interview process was quick and painless. Despite interviewing for a level two position, I was then offered the job as a level one due to lack of experience. I used this position as a spring board, gaining much needed skills and real world experience. Great for entry level work, but don't plan on staying long.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the tasks you'll be required to perform are routine and monotonous. How will you deal with such routine tasks?   View Answer
    No negotiation allowed