BrightRoll

Updated Nov 13, 2014
Updated Nov 13, 2014

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at BrightRoll.

One of the best.. Real smooth and transparent..
    I applied online. Got reply from recruiter...Arranged phone call.. We talked...She asked technical question which I answered. Next the phone interview was arranged ..
    Manager asked me about my work and then explained the role. Asked me a programming question over phone..I told how to solve. Asked me other ways to do it..I did tell ..seems she was not convinced.. Call ended..

The best thing is recruiter called and told I am not selected and the reasons also..
    But I was not convinced with the reason given..
    The reason given was - I was not passionate about the work I have done..
    Over the phone how can you judge if person is passionate.. If some one talks in low voice does it mean not passionate?..

But I really liked the complete process...I wish Brightroll Success..
    Good to know Yahoo acquired..

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BrightRoll.

Couple of stages, applied online.

(1) Initial HR phone interview, basic. Go over resume, talk about your interests and why you applied to BrightRoll.

(2) Phone interview with engineering manager. Mix of technical questions and a little more in depth talk about projects you have done and resume.

(2.5) Coding Simulation.

(3) On site interview superday. 3 Interviews in the morning. Mix of technical and fit. Lunch with engineers, and then a resume dig and a final interview with a manager where you get to interview him for 45 minutes.

Really fast and smooth process.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation --- compensation is extremely generous for interns.

Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at BrightRoll.

The recruiter was very easy to talk to. For the initial screening, they asked the usual "what's your interest" and "what would you like to do". Like most other interviews, they asked me to walk them through what happens when you enter an address in the url. For the second interview, the interviewer was an engineer. He was also very easy to talk to. He asked me more about my experiences and tried to gauge my talent from that. He then asked me 2 technical questions which weren't that hard if you know how the internet works. Asked me again about the address in the url process, but I didn't know deep details. The algorithm question was fairly straightforward.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at BrightRoll in October 2014.

A college recruiter reached out to me over LinkedIn (I dropped off my resume at a career fair but it didn't have my email on it...whoops)

We had a quick chat over the phone about BrightRoll, my motivations, and what I'm looking for as a summer intern.

Then, I got set up with a hiring manager which has been the most thought provoking phone screen yet. In addition to the standard recursion question, he asked me about my aspirations - pointed questions at why I'm passionate about the things I do. I vividly remember a question he asked me about my heros in life and I was able to speak freely about how my mother's been a huge inspiration for me.

After that, we had a 1.5 hour interview over Skype where I was given a javascript-based game to implement on my development platform of choice, and I had a ton of fun coding it up though I struggled a bit with the end of the question.

All throughout the interview process, Brightroll was committed in giving me the best feedback loop I've ever had in the process. The recruiter was able to follow up with me usually within the very same day I had the screen, which was truly impressive.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at BrightRoll in October 2014.

Submitted the resume on campus and got an email from a recruiter a few days later. She asked me for a short talk. I am very interested in this company and I think my experience should be very competitive and matches their requirements. So I am very happy to talk with the HR about the engineering opportunities.
    But the weird thing is she doesn't want me to talk much about my experience, she even doesn't give me time to talk about my experience or introduce myself. The talk just lasts 20 mins or even less and looks like she doesn't have any interest to talk with me at the beginning, also I haven't been asked any tech questions.
    At the end, she told me she would let me know the result within 2 days, but after 2 days I haven't heard from her and I have to ask her by myself, then I got a standard reject letter with no details.
    I have a negative experience with this recruiter and I would write an email to BrightRoll's recruiting team complaining about her un-professional attitude.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at BrightRoll.

My experience was a new grad interviewing for a Software Engineer position. I've done dozens of interviews as a student with companies in Silicon Valley, including bigger companies like Google and Microsoft, but the interview process at BrightRoll was one of the more unique I've had. BrightRoll certainly vets their employees well as the entire process wasn't short, but I was left with a solid sense of the culture there and had some of the more entertaining questions I've had in an interview.

Career Fair Intro
    Met a BrightRoll engineer at my school's career fair to whom I talked about my experience and handed my resume. He put my name down on a list for phone screens.

Recruiter Phone Screen
    Pretty standard stuff for technical positions, first I talked with a non-technical recruiter than runs through the list of questions/topics they have and if you seem like you know what you're talking about and have enough of the right check marks you make it through.

1:1 Technical Interview
    Also fairly standard next step for technical positions, next I spoke with an engineer in a little more detail about my resume and experience. He asked a couple brief and not too challenging coding and basic algorithms questions before talking about the position more and my potential role at the company. The whole call probably lasted 45 minutes.

Coding Simulation
    This is where things started to get interesting and is probably the first time I could ever say I genuinely had fun as part of an interview process. This time instead of writing code in a collabedit or Google Doc, it was an hour long Skype interview where I was given a task (mine was a simple browser game, but it seems to vary based on the specific role you're interested in) and told to just code it using whatever tools I wanted. The engineer was there to answer any questions I had, and I was free to use Google or any documentation I wanted. I REALLY appreciated this type of interview because I always thought the standard software engineer interview didn't accurately represent day-to-day job performance, but this did quite well, and I actually ended up really enjoying myself!

Onsite Interview
    Once I passed the first couple rounds they brought me out for an onsite. It took a whole day and was incredibly draining but offered a great deal of insight into the company, and I had more than enough time to get all of my questions answered. The day consisted of a technical 1:1 interview in the morning focused on general algorithms and coding ability, knowledge of the whole web stack, etc, followed by a lunch with a couple different team members, followed by three more 1:1 interviews, the first with a very role-specific focus (I was front-end so very nitty gritty JavaScript questions) and the other two with more personality and culture fit kinds of conversations without specific questions (not the typical stupid behavioral questions like 'What's your greatest weakness?' but just candid conversations about work style and what excited me about the field in general). Finally, the day was over, and I got a call later that day with an offer.

Highlights
    What really impressed me the most about the entire process was the completely transparent feedback that was given after each step. I was used to companies opaquely saying they were either going to continue to next steps or 'pursue other candidates at this time', but BrightRoll gave concrete feedback at each round that I really appreciated. It let me know what about my application they found exciting or valuable and that in turn said a lot about what type of work I'd be doing there and if I'd be a great fit. Not to mention it was a comfort to be validated in the midst of a sea of faceless interactions with companies where you never hear from your interviewer again!

Cons
    The process did take a while and was on the higher end for number of steps before getting an offer, but definitely worth the effort if you're passionate about building great tech and wanting to work with the best people! You also get the sense that BrightRoll is very intense from the early interviews which was off-putting at first, but it seems largely part of the vetting process to find serious candidates as the coding sim and onsite interviews were much more relaxed once basic competency was established.

Interview Questions
    • Live coding a game in under an hour was quite unexpected, but a welcome challenge!   Answer Question
    BrightRoll likes to have both parties equally excited about joining them. If you're as excited as they are and ready to join, they're open to candid discussions about salary expectations and do a pretty good job of meeting it. I didn't feel the need to negotiate beyond the initial offer.

Client Engagement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BrightRoll in August 2014.

The interview was extremely long. Everyone was very kind, and I was excited to work at BrightRoll, but 4.5 hours was hard. I applied online, went through 2 phone screens, then came in for the interview which consisted of a resume review, questions about my experience with research, a "coffee" time, where they asked me questions about how much I knew about BrightRoll and the job, and a simulation test. My biggest problem was that they were TOO encouraging. We started talking about my commuting situation and they hinted about seeing me the next week. I felt pretty sure I had the job, but they gave it to someone else with more experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me 3 of your greatest weaknesses and 3 of your greatest strengths.   Answer Question

Director Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at BrightRoll in August 2014.

Interviewing was with 5 people each 45 minutes each interviews with a lunch and then a simulation test afterwards. The interviewing process is too long just for the intital assessment and not needed. They should shorten the time to half hour with each interviewer given that there may not be mutual interest. I would agree with some of the other interviewers because its so long you start to lose interest. The hiring manager who is the most important person to the interview process is the last person but should be right at the top because he/she knows the job. if you wait to the end with long interviews you can lose the candidate especially if the candidate has a lot of questions about the job. I feel the company culture and is designed for younger candidates. The senior ones don't need the office tour ((been there done that).

BrightRoll Response

Aug 29, 2014Head of Talent Engineering

Thank you for making time to share your feedback. Whether it is positive or, in this case constructive, we value your perspective. Furthermore, I am sorry to hear you simply did not enjoy the ... More

Campaign Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at BrightRoll.

The HR sent an email and scheduled a phone interview with me. During the interview, we just went through my resume ask me if I have any questions. The HR person was nice and the whole process took only about 15 minutes. In the end of the call she said she'll talk to the hiring manager. After a week, I received an email telling me that my background is not as competitive as the others.

BrightRoll Response

Jul 30, 2014Head of Talent Engineering

My name is Erin Wilson, I am the Head of Talent Engineering here at BrightRoll, and I want to personally apologize to you for your experience. I take this feedback very seriously and want to let you ... More

Software Engineer, Developer Productivity Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at BrightRoll.

I only made it as far as the phone screen but is was one of the most enjoyable interviewing experiences in my career. If they are as respectful to their employees as they are to their potential employees, it must be a fantastic place to work. They took the time to explain to me their process and gave me honest feedback about why they were passing. The treated me with dignity. It was awesome.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't feel any of the questions were particularly difficult. They are really just looking for a cultural fit. Although answering honestly didn't get me the job, I just didn't have the right qualifications   Answer Question