BrightRoll

33 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at BrightRoll.

Interview Details – My experience was a new grad interviewing for a Software Engineer position. I've done dozens of interviews as a student with companies in Silicon Valley, including bigger companies like Google and Microsoft, but the interview process at BrightRoll was one of the more unique I've had. BrightRoll certainly vets their employees well as the entire process wasn't short, but I was left with a solid sense of the culture there and had some of the more entertaining questions I've had in an interview.

Career Fair Intro
Met a BrightRoll engineer at my school's career fair to whom I talked about my experience and handed my resume. He put my name down on a list for phone screens.

Recruiter Phone Screen
Pretty standard stuff for technical positions, first I talked with a non-technical recruiter than runs through the list of questions/topics they have and if you seem like you know what you're talking about and have enough of the right check marks you make it through.

1:1 Technical Interview
Also fairly standard next step for technical positions, next I spoke with an engineer in a little more detail about my resume and experience. He asked a couple brief and not too challenging coding and basic algorithms questions before talking about the position more and my potential role at the company. The whole call probably lasted 45 minutes.

Coding Simulation
This is where things started to get interesting and is probably the first time I could ever say I genuinely had fun as part of an interview process. This time instead of writing code in a collabedit or Google Doc, it was an hour long Skype interview where I was given a task (mine was a simple browser game, but it seems to vary based on the specific role you're interested in) and told to just code it using whatever tools I wanted. The engineer was there to answer any questions I had, and I was free to use Google or any documentation I wanted. I REALLY appreciated this type of interview because I always thought the standard software engineer interview didn't accurately represent day-to-day job performance, but this did quite well, and I actually ended up really enjoying myself!

Onsite Interview
Once I passed the first couple rounds they brought me out for an onsite. It took a whole day and was incredibly draining but offered a great deal of insight into the company, and I had more than enough time to get all of my questions answered. The day consisted of a technical 1:1 interview in the morning focused on general algorithms and coding ability, knowledge of the whole web stack, etc, followed by a lunch with a couple different team members, followed by three more 1:1 interviews, the first with a very role-specific focus (I was front-end so very nitty gritty JavaScript questions) and the other two with more personality and culture fit kinds of conversations without specific questions (not the typical stupid behavioral questions like 'What's your greatest weakness?' but just candid conversations about work style and what excited me about the field in general). Finally, the day was over, and I got a call later that day with an offer.

Highlights
What really impressed me the most about the entire process was the completely transparent feedback that was given after each step. I was used to companies opaquely saying they were either going to continue to next steps or 'pursue other candidates at this time', but BrightRoll gave concrete feedback at each round that I really appreciated. It let me know what about my application they found exciting or valuable and that in turn said a lot about what type of work I'd be doing there and if I'd be a great fit. Not to mention it was a comfort to be validated in the midst of a sea of faceless interactions with companies where you never hear from your interviewer again!

Cons
The process did take a while and was on the higher end for number of steps before getting an offer, but definitely worth the effort if you're passionate about building great tech and wanting to work with the best people! You also get the sense that BrightRoll is very intense from the early interviews which was off-putting at first, but it seems largely part of the vetting process to find serious candidates as the coding sim and onsite interviews were much more relaxed once basic competency was established.

Interview Question – Live coding a game in under an hour was quite unexpected, but a welcome challenge!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – BrightRoll likes to have both parties equally excited about joining them. If you're as excited as they are and ready to join, they're open to candid discussions about salary expectations and do a pretty good job of meeting it. I didn't feel the need to negotiate beyond the initial offer.

Campaign Manager

I applied online and interviewed at BrightRoll.

Interview Details – The HR sent an email and scheduled a phone interview with me. During the interview, we just went through my resume ask me if I have any questions. The HR person was nice and the whole process took only about 15 minutes. In the end of the call she said she'll talk to the hiring manager. After a week, I received an email telling me that my background is not as competitive as the others.

Interview Question – No questions.   Answer Question

BrightRoll Response

Jul 30, 2014Head of Talent Engineering

My name is Erin Wilson, I am the Head of Talent Engineering here at BrightRoll, and I want to personally apologize to you for your experience. I take this feedback very seriously and want to let you ... More

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Software Engineering Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at BrightRoll in April 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process at BrightRoll is one of the most unique I've had, as well as one of the best.

It started with a call with a recruiter, where she talked to me about the company and its culture, my background/experience, the role I was interviewing for, and she also laid out the rest of the process as a whole. She was very transparent, extremely positive, and she left me excited for the rest of the process.

The second step was a call with the hiring manager, which was a bit more of a vetting -- questions about my technical skill and background, and a chat again about the role. It was a nice chance for me to see if there was a cultural fit with the person whom I would be reporting to (and I assume vice-versa).

As a referral, I then went out to lunch with the person referring me and the hiring manager, and then had a brief conversation with the hiring manager, who asked me some resume questions and talked to me a bit about the company. He gave me some immediate feedback, which was very refreshing -- it was empowering to know what he felt about our conversations thus far, and that he thought I was a good fit.

I had another call with the recruiter where she gave me more feedback. The step after that was the on-site interview, in their San Francisco offices. One of the most interesting things, to me, was the communication between the interviewers, as well as the quality of the interviews themselves; they covered a large amount of information, didn't step on each others' toes w/r/t areas assessed, and were able to give each other information between sections, so that something I mentioned to one person earlier in the day was referred to by someone later. I also went out to lunch with two of the people who I would potentially be managing, and had an opportunity to talk to them about the company and their roles in particular.

The next step was the sim. I felt that the sim gave me an expectation about what working with the hiring manager would feel like on a day-to-day basis, and was also an interesting thought process.

Overall, the amount of feedback, and the quality of it, that I received in this process, helped to sell me on the company. At no point did I have to wonder about what their impressions were of me, be they good or bad. I was left with an exact understanding of my role and how it would be working with the hiring manager, as well as my peers. The interview process at BrightRoll is well-defined, as well as well-reasoned and intentional, and I was pleased to experience it.

Interview Question – The sim was time-intensive but exciting and enjoyable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase at BrightRoll is straight-forward and moves quickly. Essentially, you give a salary that is acceptable and they attempt to meet it at the first pass.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at BrightRoll in November 2012.

Interview Details – First I had a phone call with a recruiter, who asked me general questions about what I've been doing and what I was looking for. Then I had a phone call with a technical manager who asked me some light technical questions, including "What happens when you click a link in a web browser?" Then I came in an did a 1 hour "code simulation" where I was handed a computer and asked to perform a task in my preferred technology in 1 hour. Then I had an on-site interview which lasted most of the day. I met with 6-8 people, whose objectives were to dig into my resume, ask me technical algorithm/data structures questions, a lunch interview which was more casual, and finally a technical interview about my technology. Finally I spoke with another technical manager who was there to answer any questions I had.

Interview Question – One stage of the on-site interview focused on CS fundamentals such as algorithms and data structures.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were able to meet my initial expectations so there was not much negotiation. I asked about the value of my stock allocation but was not given an answer.

Software Engineer, Developer Productivity Interview

Software Engineer, Developer Productivity

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BrightRoll.

Interview Details – I only made it as far as the phone screen but is was one of the most enjoyable interviewing experiences in my career. If they are as respectful to their employees as they are to their potential employees, it must be a fantastic place to work. They took the time to explain to me their process and gave me honest feedback about why they were passing. The treated me with dignity. It was awesome.

Interview Question – I didn't feel any of the questions were particularly difficult. They are really just looking for a cultural fit. Although answering honestly didn't get me the job, I just didn't have the right qualifications   Answer Question

Campaign Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BrightRoll.

Interview Details – The interview process with BrightRoll was a seamless and extraordinary experience. At each stage, proper communication was provided in regards to expectations, the position, the organizational culture and next steps.

As an out-of-state candidate, the initial interview and second interview were both phone interviews, which shortly followed through to an on-site interview/media simulation in New York City. In the last stage, I had the opportunity to meet the team in the Los Angeles office. Through each step, I not only shared my skills and experience, but also my enthusiasm. But more than that, the on-site interviews and media simulation provided me a deeper insight into the organization culture and the day-to-day responsibilities of a Campaign Manager.

Overall, BrightRoll's interview process was one of the best experiences I have had. Their attention in selecting compatible, qualified candidate is evident in their communication and efforts through the process. They truly value bringing in talent that will excel and grow in their company while also ensuring that their culture and expectations align with their candidates.

Interview Question – The question was in regards to if I had any regrets in any portion of answers I provided throughout the interview process. This was an unexpected question, but I had no regrets as I was confident in each stage of the interview process.

My advice would be to be prepared for each interview. You are prepared with the interviewer's information, and researching in regards to their role, the industry space, BrightRoll news, and asking questions are all vital points in the interview process. The preparation, research and your enthusiasm will shine through!
  Answer Question

Campaign Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at BrightRoll.

Interview Details – After applying to BrightRoll, I was contacted within 24 hours. They had a very comprehensive interview process, including an in person, phone, and video interview as well as two online assessments and a verbal assessment. Personally, I was very impressed with this process as it proved that they were determined on finding the perfect "fit".

HR was extremely easy to communicate with through the entire process. They often checked in on how each interview went, and were actively involved from start to end. My key contact went on vacation throughout my interview process, and my temporary contact stepped without missing a beat.

Due to conflicting schedules (personal lack of availability) my interview process was slightly longer than I would assume the average is. It totaled 10 weeks from first HR contact to my first day on the job.

Overall, I really was impressed with the interview experience. It's great to know that the company is genuinely interested in finding the right candidate for each position.

Interview Question – The majority of the questions asked made sense to the position I was interviewing for, and related to my past agency experience. Some tasks were discussed that I was not versed in, so those were the most difficult as I had no background.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BrightRoll in April 2013.

Interview Details – I'm not going to detail the process, except to say it was one of the best interviews I've had. They accelerated the process since I told them I already was in talks with other companies. From start to finish it took a week. There were some initial phone calls including a phone screen. They continually kept in touch with me and let me know the current status and what was expected next. The onsite interview included a code sim and face to face interviews with multiple people. Each step felt as if they were organized and taking care to make sure we were a good fit. My favorite part was the code sim, I shouldn't have been surprised since I love to code, but so many interviews are just talking and you really don't get to do what you're going to be paid to do. Quite fun.

Interview Question – When they asked me if I had questions and I realized that had set aside between 30 minutes to an hour for me to ask them things. They wanted to make sure not only I would fit with the company, but that the company was a fit for me. I appreciated that.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This might sound odd, but my wife is the better negotiator of the two of us. I wanted her to be happy with the choice I was making. So I brought her in. She got to talk to two engineers just to get an idea of what life was like here. And then I let her do the negotiating. I was honest with them and they were honest with me. In the end we were both looking for the same thing, a great fit!

Product Support Specialist Interview

Product Support Specialist
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at BrightRoll in July 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter and had a phone screen interview with a manager. After that I was brought onsite for interviews with a series of people, from Product Marketing, Engineering, and other groups. Part of the process was the simulation which was a test of my understanding of browser/web technology. Two days later I had a video interview with the CEO.

Interview Question – The simulation portion of the interview was not expected and I was not satisfied with my performance but within thirty minutes I got a call back to schedule a video interview with the CEO.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had another job offer at the same time. They were able to meet my expectations.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at BrightRoll.

Interview Details – - Methodical interview process.
- Very involved for an "entry level" position, but the department obviously maintains high standards for all levels of hires.
- Typically two screen calls or video conferences, followed by in-person interviews, which includes a "test" to gauge math comprehension and familiarity with Excel.

Interview Question – - Questions related specifically to the online media industry are tough if you come from a different background. They don't seem to knock you for less "relevant" experience, though, which I appreciated.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at BrightRoll

Worked for BrightRoll? Contribute to the Community!