BrightWire

9 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Writer Interview

Writer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at BrightWire in January 2013.

Interview Details – Writing test / language test

Very Difficult Interview

Writer/Reporter - Europe Interview

Writer/Reporter - Europe
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at BrightWire in March 2013.

Interview Details – I met BrightWire on campus following a career expo. There were three interviews, two very hard technical interviews with a case study. The case study examined my language fluency and writing ability. They also asked a lot about ambition and personal ambition.

Smart people, innovative ideas, seemed really likable. Seemed also very young.

Interview Question – They dive into whatever you talk about and get very technical very quickly. Lots of topical questions for the region I was interviewing. Ex: How has the ECB easing of monetary policy affected currency rates in China.   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BrightWire in October 2011.

Interview Details – They did an on campus interview and then they did a super day and then they made offers

Interview Question – Why do you think Brightwire will be a good fit   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Had much better offers

Chinese Global Media Analyst Interview

Chinese Global Media Analyst
Newark, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at BrightWire in November 2011.

Interview Details – Had a case study in Chinese and two 1:1 behavioral interviews. The company seems pretty cool, but the interviewers seemed to lack much personality, which made me not want to work there. Company is moving to Manhattan in a month or so.

Interview Question – Tell me about a class you've taken that you've found interesting and tell me about it.   Answer Question

Global Media Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at BrightWire.

Interview Details – Applied to the position via on-campus recruiting in October, attended second round interview ("super day") at their central office, and was extended an offer in November for a post-graduate GMA job.

In August I received a call rescinding my offer of employment due to a downturn in the company's growth. BrightWire offered no form of compensation or help in obtaining a new job, despite having gone 8 months without any notification that my position might be in jeopardy.

Bottom line: don't waste your time applying here.

Interview Question – What was your favorite undergraduate class and why?   Answer Question

Global Media Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at BrightWire in November 2011.

Interview Details – Several weeks after applying online, was contacted via email with an invitation to take a skills test. The test consisted of a relatively in depth case study - finding, translating and summarizing five news articles about a given company.

I completed and sent in the case study, but never heard back from the hiring manager who had initially contacted me. Hoping for confirmation of receipt, I re-sent the email and again got no response. The company was incommunicado for about a month before I received an automated message that I was still under consideration, but that the hiring process had been pushed back to the company rebranding itself and moving to new headquarters in NYC. This email further stated that I would be made aware of the status of my application by the end of December. January rolls around and I had still not heard back. I accepted a job with another company, and was chuffed to recieve one final email from Brightwire a few weeks later, letting me know that I was no longer being considered for the job.

All in all it was a negative experience. Terrible communication from the company relative to the difficulty and time investment of their skills test. In my experience, sloppy hiring practices mean sloppy business practices; I'm convinced that I dodged a bullet.

Interview Question – Case Study   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Editor

The process took a day - interviewed at BrightWire in January 2012.

Interview Details – In person interview followed by a case study. Never heard anything from the recruiter after submitting my completed case study.

Interview Question – What are your hobbies?   Answer Question

Global Media Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at BrightWire in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interviewer asked me whether I have past experience from media and translation and wanted to know how strong my writing skill is since they are collecting news information from all around the world and let their analysts to translate those to provide hot news to their customers.

Interview Question – tell me about your writing ability   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at BrightWire in October 2011.

Interview Details – It was an 1:1 interview. I was asked to extract some numbers out from a nested list. For example {{11,2,3},4,null,{1},{4,null,3}}. I was using a nested loop to save those numbers in a new array. So that it could be easy to get any of them out. But I'm sure there would have a simpler way. As time was limited, I didnt figure it out in the interview.

Worked for BrightWire? Contribute to the Community!