Brightcove

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineering Manager Interview

Engineering Manager

The process took a day - interviewed at Brightcove in May 2011.

Interview Details – I hadn't heard about Brightcove at all but was advised by a friend in the financial sector to check them out since they're a vibrant, growing company. Brightcove was way out of my experience / interest area so I didn't think I had much of a chance but I thought I might as well take a phone screen.

My first phone screen was with the VP of Engineering. It was extremely positive; even though he had no domain experience about my background, he was able to drill into my strengths and weaknesses very well and I felt by the end of the conversation that he had somehow "figured me out" and specifically how I would fit into the organization and what challenges I would need mentorship around. Later, I've heard other candidates mention that they were attracted to Brightcove for this same demonstration of leadership and insightfulness from either this VP or other mgmt.

My on-site interviews stretched me quite a bit but were very fair. Brightcove was clearly looking for individuals who had done more than run-of-the-mill management, so the questions drilled very deep into my experience and the interviewers didn't accept stereotypical answers. Through the interview process, I got a a very thorough impression of the company's values (e.g. self-directed team, mentorship-style mgmt) which gave me a fair chance to self-evaluate whether my leadership style would fit well into this. It was clear that Brightcove was looking for strong leadership, versus just domain and technical experience.

Everyone was extremely courteous and professional (even when I stretched their patience by engaging in tons of calls with individuals across the organization to get a better idea of what I was getting into). I was actually very surprised at the level of professionalism since the company is modestly sized (< 300 employees when I interviewed).

I would say overall that the mgmt interviews are very tough, but not in the traditional way that you'd expect. Nobody asked me to solve coding, design, architectural questions, nor was anyone combative or nitpicky, but the questions drilled pretty deep into my experiences and it was obvious to me that the mgmt in particular is very introspective about how they run the organization. Even looking back, it's hard for me to articulate how 'soft skill" questions can be rough, but when you interview with a lineup of leaders who are all extremely solid leaders, they can "cut through the crap" pretty quickly and find out what you're actually able to offer.

Interview Question – Various questions about leadership, mgmt style, process management, challenging situations, etc.   Answer Question

Worked for Brightcove? Contribute to the Community!