Brightcove

Relevance Date Difficulty

Lead Engineer Interview

Lead Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brightcove.

Interview Details – Telephone interview with HR, then a telephone interview with Hiring manager(Technical & Behaiviour) followed by onsite technical interview with 8 people. Office is in prime location in south Boston, they have modern and open work environment even for managers. Lots of people working there seems to have joined no more then 2 year ago.

Reason for Declining – Offer was not competitive to other offers I received

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Brightcove in July 2009.

Interview Details – Met with 3 people, 2 developers and 1 tester. All friendly people, young vibrant atmosphere. Questions were on algorithms, design patterns and some brain teasers.

Interview Question – NDA, cannot reveal.   Answer Question

Marketing/Sales Interview

Marketing/Sales
Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brightcove in July 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screens first with HR and then with hiring manager, followed by 5 or so 1:1 interviews onsite. Most of the interviewers seemed nice and were candid about both the opportunities and challenges facing the organization as it continues to grow. One interviewer was a sales guy who seemed like a self-important weenie.

I don't often have very good things to say about interacting with a prospective employer's HR department as a job seeker. However, I was extremely impressed by the HR representative from Brightcove who shepherded me through the interview process - she was consistently responsive before, during, and after the interviews. They ended up extending an offer to another candidate, but did let me know that within just a few days of my last set of interviews, which I appreciated.

However, I later learned that the person who got the offer and accepted the job worked previously with one of my interviewers at another company. When I heard this, I couldn't help but wonder if I had wasted my time unwittingly participating in an interview charade if it was already in the bag that this person would get the job. A couple months later, I ran into a colleage who told me about an administrative job they had pursued at Brightcove, only to learn that someone who had worked previously with one of the interviewers or hiring manager got the job instead. I hope these experiences are both rare exceptions to what is otherwise a fair and competitive process where every candidate invited in to interview at Brightcove has a genuine shot at getting the job.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions demonstrating certain skills in prior roles.   Answer Question

Tier I Technical Support Interview

Tier I Technical Support
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Brightcove.

Interview Details – Applied through their website, received an email the next day asking for a face-to-face interview the following day. Arrived at their office only to find the person who organised the interview wasn't even in the office that day, no phone call or email to reschedule.

Interview Question – Wasn't asked any questions.   Answer Question

Business Developer Interview

Business Developer
London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brightcove in November 2012.

Interview Details – Easy process, slim and simple. Nice people to meet, exceptional location.

Interview Question – What is the ratio of a pipeline in a perfect sales world?   View Answer

Engineering Manager Interview

Engineering Manager

The process took a day - interviewed at Brightcove in May 2011.

Interview Details – I hadn't heard about Brightcove at all but was advised by a friend in the financial sector to check them out since they're a vibrant, growing company. Brightcove was way out of my experience / interest area so I didn't think I had much of a chance but I thought I might as well take a phone screen.

My first phone screen was with the VP of Engineering. It was extremely positive; even though he had no domain experience about my background, he was able to drill into my strengths and weaknesses very well and I felt by the end of the conversation that he had somehow "figured me out" and specifically how I would fit into the organization and what challenges I would need mentorship around. Later, I've heard other candidates mention that they were attracted to Brightcove for this same demonstration of leadership and insightfulness from either this VP or other mgmt.

My on-site interviews stretched me quite a bit but were very fair. Brightcove was clearly looking for individuals who had done more than run-of-the-mill management, so the questions drilled very deep into my experience and the interviewers didn't accept stereotypical answers. Through the interview process, I got a a very thorough impression of the company's values (e.g. self-directed team, mentorship-style mgmt) which gave me a fair chance to self-evaluate whether my leadership style would fit well into this. It was clear that Brightcove was looking for strong leadership, versus just domain and technical experience.

Everyone was extremely courteous and professional (even when I stretched their patience by engaging in tons of calls with individuals across the organization to get a better idea of what I was getting into). I was actually very surprised at the level of professionalism since the company is modestly sized (< 300 employees when I interviewed).

I would say overall that the mgmt interviews are very tough, but not in the traditional way that you'd expect. Nobody asked me to solve coding, design, architectural questions, nor was anyone combative or nitpicky, but the questions drilled pretty deep into my experiences and it was obvious to me that the mgmt in particular is very introspective about how they run the organization. Even looking back, it's hard for me to articulate how 'soft skill" questions can be rough, but when you interview with a lineup of leaders who are all extremely solid leaders, they can "cut through the crap" pretty quickly and find out what you're actually able to offer.

Interview Question – Various questions about leadership, mgmt style, process management, challenging situations, etc.   Answer Question

Worked for Brightcove? Contribute to the Community!