Brighterion Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2014
Updated Oct 17, 2014

2.4

Entry Level Data Science Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Brighterion in October 2014.

I submitted my resume online with no cover letter. I get an interview the next day. The interview takes about an hour. I get interviewed by two technical people, the CEO, and a manager. The technical interview asked about machine learning concepts, and asked me to suggest methods for using credit card data to predict fraud. Like the other reviews on glassdoor indicate it was pretty easy, however the questions did at least require some machine learning background to be able to answer. The CEO was very friendly, asked me about myself, said I reminded him of his daughter who is the same age and looking for work. He said he liked me and was going to offer me a job, but indicated he was doing it as a favor to me because there were so many qualified people applying. He flattered me a lot, and he talked a lot about how great and smart everyone at the company was. On the way out he told me the one value at the company was honesty, which pleased me at the time, but after reading other reviews it made me afraid that this would just increase his ability to micromanage and control me. The office was cubicles and didn't look fun. I was told the hours would be long, and the pay would be bad, but that in exchange I'd be taught cutting edge machine learning.

Interview Questions
    • Given data of the form: datetime, card#, location, type of purchase:
      How would you train a classifier to catch 99% of the fraud with only 20 false guessed frauds allowed to every correct guessed fraud?...
      Talk about this problem for a while.
        Answer Question

Reviews on glassdoor looked bad.

Software Engineer Interview

Long wait, then very easy problem set suitable for a class quiz during freshman year of college.

Modeling Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Brighterion in December 2013.

I was asked by the management team about my background, especially my internship in college. After I spoke about that, I was given a quiz that covered mostly Unix, SQL and some machine learning terminology. I didn't do very well on that quiz but they decided it didn't matter much, and I was hired a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • There were some very obscure questions about differences between various Unix-based systems.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate anything.

QA Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Brighterion.

Responded to an ad on Craigslist and received an email for an interview with the QA manager. He went over my resume and I talked about my senior project. That lasted about 20 minutes.

Then, I received an email two days after that and went in for a second interview with the CEO. I waited for probably an hour for him to arrive due to traffic. When he got there, he first stated that my school, UCSB, was the worst university out there. The next hour was just him talking about the company. He also said that people from Google and Amazon were turned down, and that I would be very lucky to have this opportunity.

There was a 3 question quiz that took 15 minutes to gauge my education. One question was to write a single bash script that took in a sample.txt file and outputted any line that had FOO or BAR in it.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array [dog cat llama...], traverse the array and for each element in the array, write that element to a file that begins with the first letter of that element. For example, write cat to c.txt, dog to d.txt, etc.   Answer Question

I declined because I got offered a better position from a different company the next day. Also, I was never really asked if I wanted the position, the CEO just assumed I did because he thinks it is the greatest company in the world to work for. Don't get me wrong, it is a global leader in fraud prevention but the salary was very low ($3000/month), and the CEO was very conceited. At one point, he said that I should be working for free.

Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Brighterion.

Hiring was a total joke: 1/2 hr interview with head of engineering who asked 2 questions of any import. He doesn't speak English very well, so this isn't surprising, but his communicative skills in toto are quite lacking. 2 days later, hour long talk with the president who is very affable, though deluded about how great his product is. I can see he's proud, but he could use some more common sense.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the ilom on Sun Solaris servers   View Answer
    the president went over my resume; asked salary history and gave me what I requested. As a contractor I came up w/ a fairly high number and he gave in easily.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Brighterion in January 2011.

The interview is quite ridiculous. The first half is CEO talking about how great they are and some large corporations was going to acquire them. How they are the best in this field. The second part some senior engineer came and asked about what projects I did and very basic technical questions. The offer is a fraction of my previous job.

Interview Questions

talked with several people who has worked there and decided to stay away.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Brighterion in January 2011.

The interview process was a mix of 1:1 discussions with the CEO, a written skills test, and some conversations with other engineers in the company. It wasn't too different than what was mentioned in some of the other comments, except that I did get a chance to talk (briefly) with 4 other people in the company. From the other comments and talking with other employees not everyone got that chance. Be sure you ask for this when you interview.

The downside was that it was spread over 2 days, when it could have easily been done in 1 day if things were more organized. I spent 30 minutes or more each day waiting around.

First impressions of the office: nice open space with lots of natural light. It's fairly quiet in the office, not in the sense that nobody is there but rather everyone is seriously hard at work. There were a few conversations going on and some people walking around but that's about it.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the type of platforms you have developed on before. Which tools did you use?   Answer Question
    Up front : the pay is on the low side across all levels. The tradeoff is you'll get offered stock options, so it's similar to many startup situations. However you should ask for what you think you are worth based on the market. This will at least lead to their best offer and you may get more stock options. Then you'll have to decide whether or not the tradoff is worth it for you personally.

Modeler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Brighterion in June 2010.

They had me waiting for around 3 hours before I went in for the interview. I had a 1:1 interview with the entire management team, basically just asking me what had I done during college.
    After that was over I waited for another hour before I talked to the CEO, in there he just rambled on and on about how great, intelligent and successful he has been, and how great he was for giving me an opportunity.
    Honestly I felt a little bit offended by some of his comments.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Brighterion in March 2010.

Like another recent interviewee have stated, you mostly talk to the CEO. He was selling the company and told me how great and intelligent his staff is. He goes on to say that honesty is the number one thing int he company and to respect everybody, even if you get yelled at. I then took a quick programming test with broiler plate stuff...no theory, just stuff you can rip from a text book or google.

The next time I'm in, I basically get the job, and the CEO goes on to repeat a lot of the things he said on the first interview. He then tells me (or was it a warning?) about how many of his international staff is very introverted. (I'm not an introverted person, so that has me a lil worried about potential communication issues)

The offer was a HUGE pay cut, but since I will be learning a lot from the phd guys, it will be worth it. I will also be able to increase my salary after a few months

Interview Questions
    • How do you list the directory contents in Unix?   View Answer
    I didn't try to negotiate since I needed a job.

Analytical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Brighterion in March 2010.

CEO (he won't introduce himself as such or give you his name) talks to you for a while. You take a test. You're told you've done a terrible job on the test/quiz you've been given. CEO decides to "give you a chance".

This is to soften you up for the super low salary and benefits you'll be getting when you finally get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember, this was a long time ago. Maybe some random trivia about how paths are evaluated on Windows versus linux (from left to right or right to left).   View Answer
    About to walk out of the interview the first time at the wage offered (below poverty level for the bay area for a reasonably technical job) but was bumped up with promises of quick raises (which I thought would be to Bay area standards). I really needed a job at that point and thought it would be a good way to learn AI so I took the job.