Brighterion

Getting the Interview

14 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Brighterion

Interview Details – Long wait, then very easy problem set suitable for a class quiz during freshman year of college.

Interview Question – Everything was easy.   Answer Question

Modeling Engineer Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brighterion in December 2013.

Interview Details – I was asked by the management team about my background, especially my internship in college. After I spoke about that, I was given a quiz that covered mostly Unix, SQL and some machine learning terminology. I didn't do very well on that quiz but they decided it didn't matter much, and I was hired a few days later.

Interview Question – There were some very obscure questions about differences between various Unix-based systems.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate anything.

Analytical Engineer Interview

Analytical Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Brighterion in March 2010.

Interview Details – CEO (he won't introduce himself as such or give you his name) talks to you for a while. You take a test. You're told you've done a terrible job on the test/quiz you've been given. CEO decides to "give you a chance".

This is to soften you up for the super low salary and benefits you'll be getting when you finally get the offer.

Interview Question – Don't remember, this was a long time ago. Maybe some random trivia about how paths are evaluated on Windows versus linux (from left to right or right to left).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – About to walk out of the interview the first time at the wage offered (below poverty level for the bay area for a reasonably technical job) but was bumped up with promises of quick raises (which I thought would be to Bay area standards). I really needed a job at that point and thought it would be a good way to learn AI so I took the job.

QA Engineer Intern Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Brighterion.

Interview Details – Responded to an ad on Craigslist and received an email for an interview with the QA manager. He went over my resume and I talked about my senior project. That lasted about 20 minutes.

Then, I received an email two days after that and went in for a second interview with the CEO. I waited for probably an hour for him to arrive due to traffic. When he got there, he first stated that my school, UCSB, was the worst university out there. The next hour was just him talking about the company. He also said that people from Google and Amazon were turned down, and that I would be very lucky to have this opportunity.

There was a 3 question quiz that took 15 minutes to gauge my education. One question was to write a single bash script that took in a sample.txt file and outputted any line that had FOO or BAR in it.

Interview Question – Given an array [dog cat llama...], traverse the array and for each element in the array, write that element to a file that begins with the first letter of that element. For example, write cat to c.txt, dog to d.txt, etc.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined because I got offered a better position from a different company the next day. Also, I was never really asked if I wanted the position, the CEO just assumed I did because he thinks it is the greatest company in the world to work for. Don't get me wrong, it is a global leader in fraud prevention but the salary was very low ($3000/month), and the CEO was very conceited. At one point, he said that I should be working for free.

Support Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Brighterion.

Interview Details – Hiring was a total joke: 1/2 hr interview with head of engineering who asked 2 questions of any import. He doesn't speak English very well, so this isn't surprising, but his communicative skills in toto are quite lacking. 2 days later, hour long talk with the president who is very affable, though deluded about how great his product is. I can see he's proud, but he could use some more common sense.

Interview Question – Tell me about the ilom on Sun Solaris servers   View Answer

Negotiation Details – the president went over my resume; asked salary history and gave me what I requested. As a contractor I came up w/ a fairly high number and he gave in easily.

Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Brighterion in January 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was a mix of 1:1 discussions with the CEO, a written skills test, and some conversations with other engineers in the company. It wasn't too different than what was mentioned in some of the other comments, except that I did get a chance to talk (briefly) with 4 other people in the company. From the other comments and talking with other employees not everyone got that chance. Be sure you ask for this when you interview.

The downside was that it was spread over 2 days, when it could have easily been done in 1 day if things were more organized. I spent 30 minutes or more each day waiting around.

First impressions of the office: nice open space with lots of natural light. It's fairly quiet in the office, not in the sense that nobody is there but rather everyone is seriously hard at work. There were a few conversations going on and some people walking around but that's about it.

Interview Question – Describe the type of platforms you have developed on before. Which tools did you use?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Up front : the pay is on the low side across all levels. The tradeoff is you'll get offered stock options, so it's similar to many startup situations. However you should ask for what you think you are worth based on the market. This will at least lead to their best offer and you may get more stock options. Then you'll have to decide whether or not the tradoff is worth it for you personally.

Modeler Interview

San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Brighterion in June 2010.

Interview Details – They had me waiting for around 3 hours before I went in for the interview. I had a 1:1 interview with the entire management team, basically just asking me what had I done during college.
After that was over I waited for another hour before I talked to the CEO, in there he just rambled on and on about how great, intelligent and successful he has been, and how great he was for giving me an opportunity.
Honestly I felt a little bit offended by some of his comments.

Interview Question – What programming languages do you know?   Answer Question

Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Brighterion in January 2011.

Interview Details – The interview is quite ridiculous. The first half is CEO talking about how great they are and some large corporations was going to acquire them. How they are the best in this field. The second part some senior engineer came and asked about what projects I did and very basic technical questions. The offer is a fraction of my previous job.

Interview Question – what kind of projects you have done   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – talked with several people who has worked there and decided to stay away.

Very Difficult Interview

Technical Writer Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Brighterion in April 2009.

Interview Details – I came in for an interview which was mostly the CEO telling me how intelligent he was and how he was the only one from his village to come to the U.S. and get a degree. He asked me a lot of questions about my ethnicity and immigration status--I replied that I was an American citizen and had been for almost 25 years. His questions became more and more inappropriate at this point, he asked me if I was married, and if my husband was an American, if my parents lived in this country, how I supported myself (I had been unemployed for almost 5 months when I interviewed here), and why it took me so long to finish college (seven years, because I worked full-time!!). When I left the interview I was close to tears. Never heard back from them.

Interview Question – Are you married?   View Answer

Engineering Interview

San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Brighterion in March 2010.

Interview Details – Like another recent interviewee have stated, you mostly talk to the CEO. He was selling the company and told me how great and intelligent his staff is. He goes on to say that honesty is the number one thing int he company and to respect everybody, even if you get yelled at. I then took a quick programming test with broiler plate stuff...no theory, just stuff you can rip from a text book or google.

The next time I'm in, I basically get the job, and the CEO goes on to repeat a lot of the things he said on the first interview. He then tells me (or was it a warning?) about how many of his international staff is very introverted. (I'm not an introverted person, so that has me a lil worried about potential communication issues)

The offer was a HUGE pay cut, but since I will be learning a lot from the phd guys, it will be worth it. I will also be able to increase my salary after a few months

Interview Question – How do you list the directory contents in Unix?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't try to negotiate since I needed a job.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Brighterion? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brighterion interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Brighterion employees and interview candidates.