Bristol-Myers Squibb

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Getting the Interview

91 candidate interviews

Community Product Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in July 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screen with recruiter then face to face, then final interview. Entire process is lengthy. Expect at least 4-6 weeks. The managers I interviewed with in the Pacific Northwest were rather difficult. One was very disengaged while reading messages on his phone, the other was superficially nice, but as the interview progressed had a very aggressive/critical way of interviewing. Examples that I would give of a behavior were restated and belittled by the manager so as to sound negative. I withdrew candidacy after interview. The managers' behavior in the interview is indicative of a culture I do not want to be a part of.

Interview Question – How does an oncologist run their business?   Answer Question

Territory Business Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Interview Details – The interview process from start to finish was quick and smooth.

Interview Question – How have you handled a difficult co-worker?   Answer Question

Strategy and Analytics Interview

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Interview Details – There's 3 interviews then a brunch and dinner. They're very brutal with their questions and have a lot of applicants. there's the usual ones like why BMS or why this particular position. They don't like it if you apply for multiple positions in the pharmaceutical field that have little in common. I applied as a pharmacy student at ASHP's clinical midyear

Interview Question – Give me a time when you were unable to meet a deadline.   View Answer

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Princeton, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in November 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring manager was late; I was greeted in the lobby by an inarticulate young woman who unfortunately did not take the time to introduce herself or explain who she was; then instructed me to follow her into (loud) the cafeteria during lunch hour. I askedwhere would the interview be conducted and she didn't seem to know, couldn't explain what next setps were.

She was very disintereted in reviewing the detailsof my work history even when I tried to refer to my resume which she had apparently not read. many questions and she answered with the simple answers of a very inexperienced emplyoee (I learned she had only been employed for four months in her current position). I tried to fill in the awkward silences as lunch chairs banged around us and hungry, happy employees filtered in. The hiring manager was delayed almost 20 minutes. The "fill-in" interviewer apparently had tasks which were more important than interviewing me nor did she want to share too many details about the employment opportunity. She pulled out her ipad and leaned face down into it and poked around, stopping only to crane and twist,awkwardly looking for her manager to arrive. She was obviously in siituation she was not able to handle; inexperienced in talking about project details, seemed unfamilair with and overwhelemd with the work she was trying to explain. Seemed uncomfortable talking with someone she didn't know, was not able to converse well. This interview required much patience and when the hiring manager arrived, Ilearned some of the "facts" iwas given were apparently not factual.

When the manager arrived, she prompted questions which were apparently planned ahead to be reviewed by the young apprentice: daily hours, start times, typical project processes which had not been reviewed. The hiring manager gave sidewards glances, with annoyed facial expressions at the young "fill-in". The group experience was very uncomfortable. When the hiring manager finally asked relevant questions regarding my resume and in my estimation the interview finally began 30 minutes later, it was peak lunch time and we could hardly hear each other accross the table with the crowds of talking, laughing people all around us. There was no opportunity to talk in detail about any of the many project details and processes I had managed in my many years experience in advertsing agencies and creative services. When the hiring manager realized the time had not been well spent, when my "fill-in" was substituting for her manager, with misinformation/no information given to me in manager's absence, the interview ended abruptly.

It was the worst interview I have ever been on: rudeness to a point of incivility descibes the young person who was unqualified to be given the task to meet with me. I had an awkward experience and perhaps that is why the hiring manager was (deliberately?) late....? There were obvious issues between these two employees.

Needless to say, with obvious departmental issues, I was not offered the position, nor did I want the opportunity to be employed with that particular "team".

Interview Question – Hiring Manager: Did "fill-in" review the daily hours and start time and do you know about the overtime terms?   View Answer

Sales Representative Interview

East Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in January 2008.

Interview Details – got a referral from a doctor. no signing bonus. 7 interviews that you must go through. they asked for a resume, cv and a brag book. must pass drug test and background check. must take a personality test. must pass training in NJ in order become a rep

Interview Question – why do u want to work at BMS and why do u want to leave your current company   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – specialty pharmaceutical representative is better

Director Interview

Director

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in November 2010.

Interview Details – This was an internal application for a new position. I was asked if I was interested in the new position. I applied, had some interviews with people who I already knew personally and received an offer. This was a very straighforward process. I experienced positive scrutiny, lots of detailed questions- some also around difficulties which I anticipate moving to the new role. So it was actually helpful to prepare for my new role.

Interview Questions

• Who will be jealous or feel that they should have gotten your job?   View Answer
  • What will you do in the first 30 days in your new position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I got an offer, typically it is not really negotiable. I took it!

Internal Auditor Interview

Plainsboro, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in May 2012.

Interview Details – I called the internal audit manager after being told by a recruiter that he was interested in speaking to me. I thought the interview went well until the very end when he says he prepared a TEST for me over the phone! I couldn't believe that I had a test during an initial pre-screening. It was extremely detailed "what account do you debit and credit" type of questions when my resume says I haven't done general accounting in over 3 years. I am an auditor not an accountant.

Interview Questions

• If I give a patient a 10% discount and the item is $100, what accounts do you debit and credit?   Answer Question
  • How do you book an inventory reserve in terms of what account do you debit and credit   Answer Question

Manager IM Interview

Hopewell, NJ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in July 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process is typically divided among several people between HR, the hiring associate director, and others that this position may interact with. Each person has assigned a number of questions about one specific "behavior" like leads strategically, communicates effectively, etc. All the questions are the likes of "Tell me of a time when...". Be ready for follow up questions.

Interview Question – How many trucks the postal service has in America? this question was supposed to test my thinking process.   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Paterson, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Interview Details – I went through a recruiting company. I had two phone interviews that were very interesting. One interview cut off the call after ten to fifteen minutes to begin vacation. The other interview was interesting and intriguing. My interviews did not pertain to the position I was most interested in pursuing. I went for an on - site interview. Initially I was supposed to be in one location and ended up at another. This caused many difficulties in arranging travel for an on - site interview. Of the five interviews I completed, only three were helpful and answered my questions. (Although, my questions about the change of location of the interview or the change in position I wanted were never answered). The other two interviewers were rude and egotistical. I had to give a presentation which was particularly difficult because of the confidentiality clauses I signed at my previous employers.

Interview Question – These questions all pertained to behavioral type questions that were poorly worded. If the questions, were more straightforward, the answers would have been easier to answer. One interviewer asked about my previous company and explained the problems BMS had with them. I felt pressured to say negative things about my former company. Instead, I chose to discuss the positive points and colleagues I worked with. Overall, this interviewer was not someone I would want to work with and has a poor demeanor.   View Answer

Research Scientist I Interview

Research Scientist I
Princeton, NJ

The process took a day - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in June 2008.

Interview Details – Interview process was rather quick. Was first called by HR person. HR person expressed that my background was great fit for the position and that there was an immediate need. Couple standard HR questions about background, salary, etc. Then after a couple weeks, met on-site with the hiring manager and team of scientists. Pre-formulated questions were given to staff as they asked me standard questions like "Name a time you faced adversity on a project and how you handled it". However I was caught off guard when I interviewed with one of the research staff and she immediately gave me a skills test and didn't have even a normal interview-like converstation. Was thrown for a loop with some very test-like stumper questions. However, they did treat me to lunch and the discussions and conversations I had with the director and hiring manager went very well and it was more natural. Overall, they expressed so much interest in my background and how good a fit I would be for the department, but it was kind of a let-down in the end because I wasn't given an offer. However, nothing is certain until your T's are crossed and i's are dotted.

Interview Question – Was asked a questions about a very specific SAS procedure and whether the syntax in it was appropriate for the study   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bristol-Myers Squibb

Worked for Bristol-Myers Squibb? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bristol-Myers Squibb interview questions and advice. All 91 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bristol-Myers Squibb employees and interview candidates.