Bristol-Myers Squibb Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2015

2.9

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb (Princeton, NJ) in November 2011.

Interview

The hiring manager was late; I was greeted in the lobby by an inarticulate young woman who unfortunately did not take the time to introduce herself or explain who she was; then instructed me to follow her into (loud) the cafeteria during lunch hour. I askedwhere would the interview be conducted and she didn't seem to know, couldn't explain what next setps were.

She was very disintereted in reviewing the detailsof my work history even when I tried to refer to my resume which she had apparently not read. many questions and she answered with the simple answers of a very inexperienced emplyoee (I learned she had only been employed for four months in her current position). I tried to fill in the awkward silences as lunch chairs banged around us and hungry, happy employees filtered in. The hiring manager was delayed almost 20 minutes. The "fill-in" interviewer apparently had tasks which were more important than interviewing me nor did she want to share too many details about the employment opportunity. She pulled out her ipad and leaned face down into it and poked around, stopping only to crane and twist,awkwardly looking for her manager to arrive. She was obviously in siituation she was not able to handle; inexperienced in talking about project details, seemed unfamilair with and overwhelemd with the work she was trying to explain. Seemed uncomfortable talking with someone she didn't know, was not able to converse well. This interview required much patience and when the hiring manager arrived, Ilearned some of the "facts" iwas given were apparently not factual.

When the manager arrived, she prompted questions which were apparently planned ahead to be reviewed by the young apprentice: daily hours, start times, typical project processes which had not been reviewed. The hiring manager gave sidewards glances, with annoyed facial expressions at the young "fill-in". The group experience was very uncomfortable. When the hiring manager finally asked relevant questions regarding my resume and in my estimation the interview finally began 30 minutes later, it was peak lunch time and we could hardly hear each other accross the table with the crowds of talking, laughing people all around us. There was no opportunity to talk in detail about any of the many project details and processes I had managed in my many years experience in advertsing agencies and creative services. When the hiring manager realized the time had not been well spent, when my "fill-in" was substituting for her manager, with misinformation/no information given to me in manager's absence, the interview ended abruptly.

It was the worst interview I have ever been on: rudeness to a point of incivility descibes the young person who was unqualified to be given the task to meet with me. I had an awkward experience and perhaps that is why the hiring manager was (deliberately?) late....? There were obvious issues between these two employees.

Needless to say, with obvious departmental issues, I was not offered the position, nor did I want the opportunity to be employed with that particular "team".

Interview Questions

• Hiring Manager: Did "fill-in" review the daily hours and start time and do you know about the overtime terms?   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb (East Los Angeles, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

got a referral from a doctor. no signing bonus. 7 interviews that you must go through. they asked for a resume, cv and a brag book. must pass drug test and background check. must take a personality test. must pass training in NJ in order become a rep

Interview Questions

• why do u want to work at BMS and why do u want to leave your current company   Answer Question

Negotiation

specialty pharmaceutical representative is better

Strategy and Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

There's 3 interviews then a brunch and dinner. They're very brutal with their questions and have a lot of applicants. there's the usual ones like why BMS or why this particular position. They don't like it if you apply for multiple positions in the pharmaceutical field that have little in common. I applied as a pharmacy student at ASHP's clinical midyear

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you were unable to meet a deadline.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in July 2013.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter then face to face, then final interview. Entire process is lengthy. Expect at least 4-6 weeks. The managers I interviewed with in the Pacific Northwest were rather difficult. One was very disengaged while reading messages on his phone, the other was superficially nice, but as the interview progressed had a very aggressive/critical way of interviewing. Examples that I would give of a behavior were restated and belittled by the manager so as to sound negative. I withdrew candidacy after interview. The managers' behavior in the interview is indicative of a culture I do not want to be a part of.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Interview

The interview process from start to finish was quick and smooth.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plainsboro Center, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb (Plainsboro Center, NJ) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied online and a corporate recruiter contacted me a week later. Did a 15-20 minute phone screen during which the recruiter was energetic, positive and welcoming. Boy did that change after the interview.

I did an onsite interview at two locations with six different. I went to one site in the morning, then had to travel to the second site, have lunch with one of the hiring managers, and then finish up my day with three other directors.

The company didn't ask me anything about my qualifications for the position I was applying for, and were ill-prepared for the interview. Four of the six people I interviewed with asked me the EXACT same behavioral questions in the exact same order. It was more than a difficult interview, it was pointless. The interviewers were also very rude and seemed to delight in asking tangential, offbeat questions that had next to nothing to do with the job for which I was applying.

After leaving, the recruiter's tone completely changed. Didn't answer any of my followup emails or phone calls. When I finally did hear back she told me the panel felt I didn't have enough experience for the job. I don't see how they could have made that assumption when none of the six actually asked me about my qualifications. And they made this determination despite the fact that I had 12 years experience doing exactly what they were hiring for. It was pretty obvious to me by the time I got that impersonal email that I was just a time filler and that they already had their person picked.

Never again.

Interview Questions

• None were especially difficult, but after answering the same behavioral questions four times in a row, answering became a bit difficult.   Answer Question

Technical Operations Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Interview

There was a number of role played and 1 panel interview. It was very professional and you were keep up to date on your progress via mail. The role play was tough and you needed to be on the ball to get through it. Overall a very fair process but was difficult

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was a offer and I was told to take or leave it.

Research Investigator II Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Interview

3 interviews - initial meeting at a conference, phone interview (s), and an on - site interview with a panel of 10 individuals - a mixture of senior level scientists and directors.

Biggest emphasis and questions geared towards goodness of the fit to a company. Working as part of a team/matrix environment, and scientific ability. Be honest about your answers ...

Interview Questions

• Have you worked as part of matrix environment? How?

Have you had a conflict with a colleague? How did you handle it?

Answer Question

Negotiation

Good offer (within the range I wanted). Didn't negotiate.

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Interview

After waiting several weeks I was contacted by email to arrange a Pre-screening appointment to be done over the phone. I was contacted at the exact time I arranged but that is the only positive thing I can say about this experience. I could hear the interviewer mocking me as I answered her questions. I assume she thought she could not be heard.

Interview Questions

• The problem is the unprofessional attitude of the recruiter. I am not a fan of the behavioral questions and the "tell me about a time" type questions but I tried to cooperate. I found it difficult to continue to answer the questions while hearing her mock my answers in a rude fashion. It was very difficult to understand why a company would contact me and then act like a 5th grade student who was mocking children in the playground. Clearly she is burned out and this profession does not meet her personality type.   1 Answer

Associate Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plainsboro, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb (Plainsboro, NJ) in September 2013.

Interview

There are usually 3-4 in person interviews with hiring manager and those that you'll be working closely with in the position. A rubric is used when asking questions in the interview. The interviewer will ask generic questions about your resume and experience then based on a behavior guide.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were a key member of a project team and the project did not go as anticipated.
      Tell me about a time when you built a relationship with a challenging external or internal colleague.
      Tell me about a situation in which you had to implement a significant change.
      Tell me about a recent project or initiative that was challenging to complete.

Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered me a little lower than I expected, I nudged a little and was given a slightly higher offer