Bristol-Myers Squibb Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.9

Associate Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

This was by FAR the most bizarre and unusual recruiting/interviewing experience I've ever had.

I was first contacted out of the blue by a BMS employee (who was to be my manager) via LinkedIn informing me that the position would be opening soon; this person and I were neither, prior to this exchange, connected nor aware of the other's existence. He told me to send over a basic resume, which I did, and they said that they would get back to me.

About two weeks later this person contacted me again and told me that I needed to apply for the position through the BMS website. Again, I complied and was told to await further instructions.

A few business days thereafter I was contacted by an HR rep and they asked for my basic background and salary requirements (their offered range was competitive). I asked them what the next steps in the process were and they said that their top candidates would be brought directly in for on-site interviews with *no phone interview needed*.

Almost two weeks went by and I was contacted by the manager again but this time they wanted to set up a phone interview, focusing on my technical qualifications, within the next two days. We had the phone screen and it went just about as poorly as possible for several reasons. At that point I was worried that getting an on-site invitation was nearly impossible.

Low and behold: about a week later I was asked to come in for an on-site interview the week after that.

I went in and the on-site interview went extremely well, only one person asked me any sort of technical questions. I left with high hopes thinking that they must really want me for some reason!

About a week after the on-site I received notification from the manager informing me that they had made an offer to another candidate with a "superior" technical background. At that point I felt as though I had been used as a formality, that I was just another candidate they *had* to interview just so they could *say* they interviewed multiple candidates when they had already made their hiring decision before I even walked in the door. I mean, if my technical phone interview went so poorly, why was I brought in for an on-site in the first place?? I don't see any other logical explanation as long as my manager communicated the results of the phone interview to HR.

This certainly wasn't the worst interview I've ever been on but it certainly reflected very poorly on BMS. There's clearly disorganization, gaps in communication and unnecessary delays in critical functions within the organization and, from this experience, there are even signs of potential unfair treatment/favoritism. Sure, they have an amazing pipeline and development projects, but it seems like they have such a rocky road to reach their goals.

If this is what it was like just to *interview* at BMS I couldn't imagine what it's like to work there!!

Interview Questions
    • Where you do see yourself in five years?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your current role. What responsibilities do you handle and how do you solve problems related to those?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in March 2015.

Phone interview with recruiter. Second phone interview with hiring manager and then brought in for panel review with 4 people. 1 person from HR and remaining people from the Business.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Das Gespräch war sehr interessant und nett. Das was danach kam, war sehr irritierend. Habe über 2 Monate nichts mehr von der Firma gehört. Gesprächspartner reagierten weder auf meine Anrufe oder Nachrichten. Nach 2 Monaten kam per Mail ein automatisiertes Schreiben mit der Ablehnung.

Technical Operations Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

There was a number of role played and 1 panel interview. It was very professional and you were keep up to date on your progress via mail. The role play was tough and you needed to be on the ball to get through it. Overall a very fair process but was difficult

Interview Questions
    There was a offer and I was told to take or leave it.

Cta Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in March 2013.

Fairly easy interview process. Upon phone screening, was called in for a face to face interview. Interview was with two people, fairly easy and standard interview process. I was given the offer in approximate 1 week.

Site Leader/DRM (Director) Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in November 2014.

Saw and applied via the website for the aforementioned position. Totally did not expect the phone call a few days later informing me that they wanted to fly me out for an onsite visit. They didnt even want to phone screen me which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending all on the current situation you are walking into.
    Onsite i interviewed with the global HR manager via telephone followed a seemingly intimidated site HR manager who "wished me well." ( This is when i realized this interview was not going well. :) I really think the high salary disturbed him.
    Next, i was walked clear across campus to the a global ops manager who was very personable and informative. He explained the situation to me in total leaving nothing to the imagination.
    Next was the director of quality who asked me all the behaviour based questions in one long run-on sentence and im not joking. and that struck me as very very odd. obviously she had not interviewed before based on that fact and the fact she seemed extremely nervous. around this time i was thinking no matter how much money they offered, i most likely would not accept this job, this was a very high profile job with much much responsibility and without the proper backing you are doomed to fail.
    Lastly i met my potential new boss. He was very relaxed and he offered the flip side of the coin about the current situation i might be dealing with in my new role. In fact, he offered so much information i felt i might actually be offered the job. But this was not the case.
    I left the interview feeling i wasted my time, and this particular site was very unprofessional in manner in which they handled the interview/ site visit.
    i still have yet to receive my reimbursement for my travel expenses as well. This alone is beyond ridiculous.

Interview Questions
    • When questions were asked they were an attempt at behavioural based platforms. Other wise they were just statements   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in January 2012.

There was a phone interview first and then they called you for an onsite interview. You got a tour of the facilities and several members from the lab interviewed you. Each member interviewed the applicant one on one. They mostly just went through the resume and asked for a more thorough explanation of each experience.

Solution Architect Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

I had applied online and was called for HR interview within 2 weeks after applying. HR interview was easy with quick scan of the resume submitted and few other details about comp, etc. Then follow-up phone interview was arranged with two people. Meeting was started on time and interviewer was finding it hard to remember the questions he wanted to ask...Most of the questions were very basic and not sure if the interviewer was serious about the process. Somehow he is interested in completing allotted time than finding more about experience or seeing fitment.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA
    Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in September 2014.

She asked me about my research experience in the data mining area. She asked me about the data scare and processing techniques and the conclusion. After that she asked me to talk about the accordance requirement

Intern Interview

Applied through campus career site. Job was sponsored by college alum. Received interview invite about 2-3 weeks after I submitted my app. I had a 30 min phone interview with 2 scientists. Pretty straightforward, with mostly behavioral questions. A couple technical questions thrown in, but those were easy. Standard phone interview.