Bristol-Myers Squibb Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2014

2.9

Medical Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in May 2014.

Applied on line. Had two separate phone screen interviews. One round of interviews involving about 10 interviewers over 10 days period: on site interview with about 5 interviewers, and another 5 interviews conducted by telephone over several days. Many of interview questions were behavioral.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plainsboro Center, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plainsboro Center, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in May 2014.

I applied online and a corporate recruiter contacted me a week later. Did a 15-20 minute phone screen during which the recruiter was energetic, positive and welcoming. Boy did that change after the interview.

I did an onsite interview at two locations with six different. I went to one site in the morning, then had to travel to the second site, have lunch with one of the hiring managers, and then finish up my day with three other directors.

The company didn't ask me anything about my qualifications for the position I was applying for, and were ill-prepared for the interview. Four of the six people I interviewed with asked me the EXACT same behavioral questions in the exact same order. It was more than a difficult interview, it was pointless. The interviewers were also very rude and seemed to delight in asking tangential, offbeat questions that had next to nothing to do with the job for which I was applying.

After leaving, the recruiter's tone completely changed. Didn't answer any of my followup emails or phone calls. When I finally did hear back she told me the panel felt I didn't have enough experience for the job. I don't see how they could have made that assumption when none of the six actually asked me about my qualifications. And they made this determination despite the fact that I had 12 years experience doing exactly what they were hiring for. It was pretty obvious to me by the time I got that impersonal email that I was just a time filler and that they already had their person picked.

Never again.

Interview Questions
    • None were especially difficult, but after answering the same behavioral questions four times in a row, answering became a bit difficult.   Answer Question

Scientist I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Phone screening through HR, Follow up call from PI, present a 1 hour seminar and Q&A session, followed by one on one meetings with various staff, peers, and director.

Interview Questions
    • Defending your science presentation, why didn't you do this set of experiment instead of the one's you choose to do.   View Answer
    I was called by HR with an offer and time to make the decision. I wanted some time to discuss the position with my family and I was wondering how I might negotiate the position for a little more money. I choose not to negotiate for more money since I was looking to leave my last science position because I was overlooked for a well deserved promotion by someone that I was responsible for training. She applied for another internal position and was perceived to be leaving so they promoted her instead of me. So I decided to look for a position at BMS.

Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Can be long, sometimes months.

NO negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

I went through a recruiting company. I had two phone interviews that were very interesting. One interview cut off the call after ten to fifteen minutes to begin vacation. The other interview was interesting and intriguing. My interviews did not pertain to the position I was most interested in pursuing. I went for an on - site interview. Initially I was supposed to be in one location and ended up at another. This caused many difficulties in arranging travel for an on - site interview. Of the five interviews I completed, only three were helpful and answered my questions. (Although, my questions about the change of location of the interview or the change in position I wanted were never answered). The other two interviewers were rude and egotistical. I had to give a presentation which was particularly difficult because of the confidentiality clauses I signed at my previous employers.

Interview Questions
    • These questions all pertained to behavioral type questions that were poorly worded. If the questions, were more straightforward, the answers would have been easier to answer. One interviewer asked about my previous company and explained the problems BMS had with them. I felt pressured to say negative things about my former company. Instead, I chose to discuss the positive points and colleagues I worked with. Overall, this interviewer was not someone I would want to work with and has a poor demeanor.   View Answer

Senior Scientist, Spectroscopy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in April 2014.

Applied through employee referral. HR lady called in with a hiring manager followed up with phone interview in 2 weeks. Invited for onsite interview at the New Brunswick site after "duly impressing" HM. Met with HM, a principal scientist, a Sr scientist, an associate director each for 30 min. Then phone interviewed with HR again in the afternoon. Phone interviewed with an associate director next day because of missed appointment. Four weeks later, received an email declining me for a Scientist I position I never applied.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question from HR lady: how to balance speed and quality. Strange question from HR working in pharmaceutical industry, since quality tops everything in pharma   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in April 2014.

I applied online, followed by email contact from HR to schedule interview. Met with HR, hiring manager and a number of stakeholders on a half day long interview circuit. HR contacted me with initial offer to be followed by formal written offer if accepted.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle admitting to mistakes made on the job   Answer Question

Procurement Co-Op Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Applied on Rutgers Career Knight, followed by 2 phone interviews and then a 1:1

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

I had interviews with this company for two different positions. Best interviews I ever had!! Both times, I thought that I would probably be offered the position, but, I got rejected both times. The second time, I had to actually seek out my rejection by sending a follow-up email to the hiring manager two weeks after they said I would receive a response. Immediately after sending my email, I received my rejection email. In this day and age of instant electronic communication, I thought that this was quite unprofessional for one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. In addition, they have a somewhat large "Candidate Care Center".

Interview Questions
    • In my initial phone interview, I was asked how I was performing against my annual goals at my current employer. Fortunately, I knew this answer, but should have written it out before the interview so I could answer it quickly and smoothly.   Answer Question

Territory Manager Interview

panel interview, be prepared to show sales forecast measured against territory earnings, training and promotional programs implemented with sales personnel, philosophy and track record, mgt philosophy and dealing with non-motivated representatives

Interview Questions
    • balancing the demands from upper management and sales team   Answer Question

wanted to work for myself