Bristol-Myers Squibb

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.9

Senior Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

It was a convoluted and drawn out process with a little keystone cops thrown in for good measure. Lots of phone interviews mixed in with in person and back to phone. Was not even sure that I got the job even after getting the offer! Definitely need to improve the process since I hear it still can be bad.

Interview Questions
    • It's been a while but many were arbitrary and had nothing to do with the job.   Answer Question
    They were taken aback that I would dare ask.

Scientist/Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in July 2014.

I applied online in July 2014. Was contacted about 1.5 weeks later by HR and setup a phone interview. It has been more than 3 months since the phone interview but I haven't been notified of their decision. I contacted them in August 2014 to know more about the hiring status for this job, and they said they are still in the process of making their decision.

Interview Questions
    • Standard situation-specific questions. The question I found difficult (because I didn't understand it well the first time) was "Do I seek self-assessment and work towards improvement?"   Answer Question

Scientist I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Got a call from recruiter; asked about basic information. The onsite interview was almost the whole day. Was interviewed by people above the position level. Most of the interviewers asked some pre-set behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Can you explain ... (unrelated field to the job and my previous experience; but something that the director is interested in )   Answer Question
    Asked for more ; didn't get it

Procurement Co-Op Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

campus recruiting. 2 phone interviews with behavior questions, nothing unexpected. and 1 on site interview.1:1 in 40 min. good experience. nice interviewers. make sure you know why you choose BMS? do some research before interview on their website.

Scientist/Engineer Interview

The HR person was very unprofessional. Called me almost an hour later than scheduled time. Asked a few behavioral questions and that was it. The entire conversation was less than 10 minutes.

Professional Level Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in June 2014.

Behavioral based questions; Tell me about a time that you led a team and an obstacle that you faced? Tell me about a time that you led a matrix team. Tell me about a time that you had the opportunity to improve something. Tell me about the most difficult person you have had to work with. Tell me about someone that you have helped to grow.

Interview Questions
    • What is your vision of the future of this organization in 10 years?   Answer Question

Common of Interview Process Within Company Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in June 2014.

HR was not organized and did not give feedback or even attempt to contact me after the interview process is over. If you make first contact post interview, you will be met with a basic message informing you they will contact you when a decision is made. This is same for most but not all internal employees. Internal employees hear back from external applications more so than internal. Communication is an area HR could work on.

Interview Questions
    • Which job did you apply for? - HR did not know which job I was interviewing for at the time of my 1:1 with one of the managers on the interview team. Therefor could not provide this individual with the correct information   View Answer

Medical Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in May 2014.

Applied on line. Had two separate phone screen interviews. One round of interviews involving about 10 interviewers over 10 days period: on site interview with about 5 interviewers, and another 5 interviews conducted by telephone over several days. Many of interview questions were behavioral.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plainsboro Center, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plainsboro Center, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in May 2014.

I applied online and a corporate recruiter contacted me a week later. Did a 15-20 minute phone screen during which the recruiter was energetic, positive and welcoming. Boy did that change after the interview.

I did an onsite interview at two locations with six different. I went to one site in the morning, then had to travel to the second site, have lunch with one of the hiring managers, and then finish up my day with three other directors.

The company didn't ask me anything about my qualifications for the position I was applying for, and were ill-prepared for the interview. Four of the six people I interviewed with asked me the EXACT same behavioral questions in the exact same order. It was more than a difficult interview, it was pointless. The interviewers were also very rude and seemed to delight in asking tangential, offbeat questions that had next to nothing to do with the job for which I was applying.

After leaving, the recruiter's tone completely changed. Didn't answer any of my followup emails or phone calls. When I finally did hear back she told me the panel felt I didn't have enough experience for the job. I don't see how they could have made that assumption when none of the six actually asked me about my qualifications. And they made this determination despite the fact that I had 12 years experience doing exactly what they were hiring for. It was pretty obvious to me by the time I got that impersonal email that I was just a time filler and that they already had their person picked.

Never again.

Interview Questions
    • None were especially difficult, but after answering the same behavioral questions four times in a row, answering became a bit difficult.   Answer Question

Scientist I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Phone screening through HR, Follow up call from PI, present a 1 hour seminar and Q&A session, followed by one on one meetings with various staff, peers, and director.

Interview Questions
    • Defending your science presentation, why didn't you do this set of experiment instead of the one's you choose to do.   View Answer
    I was called by HR with an offer and time to make the decision. I wanted some time to discuss the position with my family and I was wondering how I might negotiate the position for a little more money. I choose not to negotiate for more money since I was looking to leave my last science position because I was overlooked for a well deserved promotion by someone that I was responsible for training. She applied for another internal position and was perceived to be leaving so they promoted her instead of me. So I decided to look for a position at BMS.