Bristol-Myers Squibb

Updated Nov 17, 2014
Updated Nov 17, 2014

2.9

Procurement Co-Op Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

campus recruiting. 2 phone interviews with behavior questions, nothing unexpected. and 1 on site interview.1:1 in 40 min. good experience. nice interviewers. make sure you know why you choose BMS? do some research before interview on their website.

Scientist/Engineer Interview

The HR person was very unprofessional. Called me almost an hour later than scheduled time. Asked a few behavioral questions and that was it. The entire conversation was less than 10 minutes.

Professional Level Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in June 2014.

Behavioral based questions; Tell me about a time that you led a team and an obstacle that you faced? Tell me about a time that you led a matrix team. Tell me about a time that you had the opportunity to improve something. Tell me about the most difficult person you have had to work with. Tell me about someone that you have helped to grow.

Interview Questions
    • What is your vision of the future of this organization in 10 years?   Answer Question

Common of Interview Process Within Company Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in June 2014.

HR was not organized and did not give feedback or even attempt to contact me after the interview process is over. If you make first contact post interview, you will be met with a basic message informing you they will contact you when a decision is made. This is same for most but not all internal employees. Internal employees hear back from external applications more so than internal. Communication is an area HR could work on.

Interview Questions
    • Which job did you apply for? - HR did not know which job I was interviewing for at the time of my 1:1 with one of the managers on the interview team. Therefor could not provide this individual with the correct information   View Answer

Medical Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in May 2014.

Applied on line. Had two separate phone screen interviews. One round of interviews involving about 10 interviewers over 10 days period: on site interview with about 5 interviewers, and another 5 interviews conducted by telephone over several days. Many of interview questions were behavioral.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plainsboro Center, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plainsboro Center, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in May 2014.

I applied online and a corporate recruiter contacted me a week later. Did a 15-20 minute phone screen during which the recruiter was energetic, positive and welcoming. Boy did that change after the interview.

I did an onsite interview at two locations with six different. I went to one site in the morning, then had to travel to the second site, have lunch with one of the hiring managers, and then finish up my day with three other directors.

The company didn't ask me anything about my qualifications for the position I was applying for, and were ill-prepared for the interview. Four of the six people I interviewed with asked me the EXACT same behavioral questions in the exact same order. It was more than a difficult interview, it was pointless. The interviewers were also very rude and seemed to delight in asking tangential, offbeat questions that had next to nothing to do with the job for which I was applying.

After leaving, the recruiter's tone completely changed. Didn't answer any of my followup emails or phone calls. When I finally did hear back she told me the panel felt I didn't have enough experience for the job. I don't see how they could have made that assumption when none of the six actually asked me about my qualifications. And they made this determination despite the fact that I had 12 years experience doing exactly what they were hiring for. It was pretty obvious to me by the time I got that impersonal email that I was just a time filler and that they already had their person picked.

Never again.

Interview Questions
    • None were especially difficult, but after answering the same behavioral questions four times in a row, answering became a bit difficult.   Answer Question

Scientist I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Phone screening through HR, Follow up call from PI, present a 1 hour seminar and Q&A session, followed by one on one meetings with various staff, peers, and director.

Interview Questions
    • Defending your science presentation, why didn't you do this set of experiment instead of the one's you choose to do.   View Answer
    I was called by HR with an offer and time to make the decision. I wanted some time to discuss the position with my family and I was wondering how I might negotiate the position for a little more money. I choose not to negotiate for more money since I was looking to leave my last science position because I was overlooked for a well deserved promotion by someone that I was responsible for training. She applied for another internal position and was perceived to be leaving so they promoted her instead of me. So I decided to look for a position at BMS.

Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Can be long, sometimes months.

NO negotiation

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paterson, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

I went through a recruiting company. I had two phone interviews that were very interesting. One interview cut off the call after ten to fifteen minutes to begin vacation. The other interview was interesting and intriguing. My interviews did not pertain to the position I was most interested in pursuing. I went for an on - site interview. Initially I was supposed to be in one location and ended up at another. This caused many difficulties in arranging travel for an on - site interview. Of the five interviews I completed, only three were helpful and answered my questions. (Although, my questions about the change of location of the interview or the change in position I wanted were never answered). The other two interviewers were rude and egotistical. I had to give a presentation which was particularly difficult because of the confidentiality clauses I signed at my previous employers.

Interview Questions
    • These questions all pertained to behavioral type questions that were poorly worded. If the questions, were more straightforward, the answers would have been easier to answer. One interviewer asked about my previous company and explained the problems BMS had with them. I felt pressured to say negative things about my former company. Instead, I chose to discuss the positive points and colleagues I worked with. Overall, this interviewer was not someone I would want to work with and has a poor demeanor.   View Answer

Senior Scientist, Spectroscopy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in April 2014.

Applied through employee referral. HR lady called in with a hiring manager followed up with phone interview in 2 weeks. Invited for onsite interview at the New Brunswick site after "duly impressing" HM. Met with HM, a principal scientist, a Sr scientist, an associate director each for 30 min. Then phone interviewed with HR again in the afternoon. Phone interviewed with an associate director next day because of missed appointment. Four weeks later, received an email declining me for a Scientist I position I never applied.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question from HR lady: how to balance speed and quality. Strange question from HR working in pharmaceutical industry, since quality tops everything in pharma   Answer Question