Bristol-Myers Squibb

Very Easy Interview

Research Scientist I Interview

Research Scientist I
Princeton, NJ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in December 2012.

Interview Details – HR called and left a msg, then emailed. She seemed minimally educated as she misspelled quite a few words and there were grammatical errors in what was such a short email. Phone interview was with a panel of 6 people for about 1.5 hours. It went very well, and we basically just reviewed my resume. Was invited for an onsite interview one day later, after they ran my references. The onsite interview was from 8:30am to 5pm with all HR based questions from Scientists. The day started with a 45 min presentation of my past research. The questions were super dumb based on their platform (values like soar, acheieve, etc). They were extremely repetitive but I am guessing they do that to see if you can respond with my different scenarios. I was prepared, and had about 50 situations ready :) One of the older Scientists did not ask his sheet of questions bc he said HR made up those dumb questions and he wasn't sure what they had to with the interview. Interview went well according to the HM and feedback from the other scientists.

Interview Question – I was prepared for all of the questions. I'd say one woman asked why I didn't use a certain technique back in graduate school?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – BMS was not for me. I was very turned off with the interview style. They were all very impersonal and borderline rude. No one asked a question that they wanted to know, every question was from their sheet. What they don't know is that you can prepare for that type of interview, and it does not test your ability or personality. I felt that they were very uptight in that regard and did not feel like I'd fit it. Plus, the company is very unstable. They change targets every quarter or so it seems.

Very Easy Interview

Analytical Development and Testing Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied via the school website (which was just sending an email to someone) and got an email back a few weeks later asking for a phone interview. Conducted the phone interview with one of the managers which was just 30 minutes of talking about the position and what he expects as well as asking what I would want. Emailed me later that day saying i'm going to get hired and I heard back from HR after the weekend.

Interview Question – What do you want?   Answer Question

Territory Manager Interview

Territory Manager

Interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb

Interview Details – basic like all others

Interview Question – tell me about a time you had to pull back   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Finance Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Interview Details – The typical interview process, phone screen followed by a 4/5 hr face to face interview. Overall, quite a good interview, management are open and honest. The role definition is precise. Follow up interview or communication is usually within a week to two.

Interview Question – They look for individuals who are willing to be open to relocation for future jobs.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Co-op Interview

Devens, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in April 2009.

Interview Details – I was a student when applying for this co-op position. I was recommended to the company by a fellow student working for them at the time. I had applied on the school job website, was contacted by someone in HR and set up a time for 2 phone interviews. I was contacted by 2 senior manufacturing engineers. I spoke with them back to back. The interview was friendly and not intimidating. They asked both technical and behavioral questions.

I heard back from them within a week and was offered the position.

Interview Question – Tell me how your experience in school will prepare you for this position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations because I was a student but the pay was very good and I didn't qualify for any benefits. I was given a monthly living stipend, which was enough, because I was relocating for the 6 month position.

Research Associate II Interview

Research Associate II
Redwood City, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in January 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume online and was immediately phone interviewed the next day. The associate director mainly asked me what I did at my previous company, special projects, behavioral questions, and what I was responsible for at my company. We set up an interview appointment the following day. She was very professional at all levels.

I brought extra copies of my resumes, studied what the position does, read my notes on my previous work experience, and practiced answering behavior questions (very important).

We had one interview that lasted for a little over 2 hours. Nine people interviewed me: the associate director (first), six staff members (some having PhDs or masters. They came in as 3 pairs of 2), the director (fifth), and finally the associate human resource personal (sixth).

They were very friendly: they asked me about the hybridoma process, what I did at my previous job experience, pretty much trying to see if my behavior was a good fit for them and if I knew what I was talking about. The director was very dynamic and wanted me to answer questions quick, which was great because I was able to show my dynamic personality and keep my questions under 1 to 2 minutes. The associate HR personal was extremely friendly and it was like having a nice conversion with her. In fact, it was like having a nice friendly conversation with all the members.

I had a tour of the first floor, the departments, and the second floor where the offices were. Offices were clean, professional, and the laboratories were equipped with high tech machines and professional instruments. The building was new and Redwood City was beautiful. The company is right off the freeway, but not over-looking it, so, that was a huge plus.

I had a second follow-up phone interview with the associate director after two weeks. She just wanted to know if I was still interested in the position and my future plans and goals. She also asked if hired how much do I want to start making.

I received a phone call after three and a half weeks from a human resource personal stating I received the position.

Interview Question – Questions that were asked. Nothing seemed unexpected. It was a lot of behavior questions from HR and the associate director. Here are ones that I remember:

-Are you willing to relocate?
-Describe how you achieved a hybridoma cell.
-How did you use ELISA and western blot to get positive results?
-Have you worked with FACS?
-Did you work in a clean environment? How did you use aseptic technique?
-Describe subcloning. How did you achieve a monoclonal antibody?
-If we give you the job, when can you start?
-Why did you leave your previous job?
-You worked with mice. How did you achieve taking out the spleen?
-Why do you want to work for us?
-What are your long term goals?
-What do you see yourself doing in next 2 years?
-Why hire you?
-Are there any other positions from other companies you are considering at the moment?
-Your published work, what techniques did you use as a research assistant?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The company offered better than what I expected along with company and individual bonuses, health plans, 401k with matching, 3 weeks vacation, nine days of holidays, cooperate discount, tuition pay if going back to school, paternity leave, retiring benefits, and much more. I took it because for an entry level position pay and ability to move up in the company seemed reasonable and doable if I work hard.

Medical Science Liaison Interview

Medical Science Liaison

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Interview Details – I met with the hiring manager. Then I had former interivew when I need to do a formal presentation. It was pretty smooth and speedy.

Negotiation Details – It was pretty straight forward

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

King of Prussia, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Interview Details – Standard interview asks questions about how you reacted in previous situations. This is often called a Star interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you failed at a task. What happened? What did you do/learn?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Interview Details – This was a phone interview with HR

Interview Questions

Manager IM Interview

Hopewell, NJ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in July 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process is typically divided among several people between HR, the hiring associate director, and others that this position may interact with. Each person has assigned a number of questions about one specific "behavior" like leads strategically, communicates effectively, etc. All the questions are the likes of "Tell me of a time when...". Be ready for follow up questions.

Interview Question – How many trucks the postal service has in America? this question was supposed to test my thinking process.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bristol-Myers Squibb