Bristol-Myers Squibb

Relevance Date Difficulty

Drug Safety Evaluation Intern Interview

Drug Safety Evaluation Intern
New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process involved two phases. The first phase was a phone interview with 3-4 scientists from different departments within the Drug Safety Evaluation division. The questions asked in the phone interview mainly involved the details of your experiences on your resume (e.g., past research) and your reasons of interest in the research position. The second phase was an onsite interview by invitation, and involved meeting 2 scientists from each department to discuss in greater detail about your past experiences and expectations for interns offered a position in Drug Safety Evaluation. During each of these mini interviews, the scientists also talked about potential projects on which interns will work and asked questions to gauge the candidate's level of interest and qualifications for completing the project. A final offer for an internship position was given in one of the departments of Drug Safety Evaluation based on the candidate's project interest.

Interview Question – No specific or especially technical questions were asked during the interview. However, it is highly recommended that the candidate knows his or her resume very well, especially about past research experience(s).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Hourly rate for an intern was standard and non-negotiable. The start and end dates of the internship are strictly set from the last week of May to the first week of August (approximately).

Very Easy Interview

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in March 2014.

Interview Details – The process was easy. First I received a phone call, next I was followed up for an in-person interview. Mostly behavioral questions, then was asked two simple questions about packaging.

HOWEVER, I find it to be very unprofessional and disrespectful for a company such as BMS not to follow up after my final interview. I have contacted the company asking for an update and was told I'd hear back about the decision within the next two weeks. I did not. I've never had that experience with any other company.
Do not lie to your applicants that thy'll hear back. Is it really that difficult for the HR person to have a generic e-mail saying "thank you, but no thank you?"

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult about the interview.   Answer Question

Senior Scientist, Spectroscopy Interview

Senior Scientist, Spectroscopy
New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through employee referral. HR lady called in with a hiring manager followed up with phone interview in 2 weeks. Invited for onsite interview at the New Brunswick site after "duly impressing" HM. Met with HM, a principal scientist, a Sr scientist, an associate director each for 30 min. Then phone interviewed with HR again in the afternoon. Phone interviewed with an associate director next day because of missed appointment. Four weeks later, received an email declining me for a Scientist I position I never applied.

Interview Question – Unexpected question from HR lady: how to balance speed and quality. Strange question from HR working in pharmaceutical industry, since quality tops everything in pharma   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Research Investigator Interview

Senior Research Investigator
New Brunswick, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in May 2013.

Interview Details – I had an on site interview that included a 1 hour seminar and 11 different one on one interviews, some in person, while others were on the phone. I found this number to be a bit excessive/unnecessary.

Interview Question – The questions did touch on technical what if scenarios, so be prepared for this. In addition to technical questions, a number of behavioral questions were asked.   Answer Question

Global Manufacturing Supply Associate Interview

Global Manufacturing Supply Associate
New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in November 2012.

Interview Details – I got the first round in campus recruiting, and 3 weeks later got the notification to go to their New Jersey plan for the second round. All questions are behavioral, nothing hard, all based on past experience.

Global Supply Chain Co-Op Interview

Global Supply Chain Co-Op
New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in October 2013.

Interview Details – Was a difficult interviewing process. Total of 3 rounds, 2 rounds of in person interviews with multiple people and a final round of a phone interview. Could be because i applied from a major university, questions for me were very analytical, biased on my previous work experience. Recruiters depend from person to person, had some very nice recruiters and some difficult ones, but ultimately a great company to work for. Had a total of 5 offers and choose BMS.

Interview Question – Asked me a very technical question about my previous work experience, and asked me why i chose BMS, what do i have to bring to the company.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation, BMS was one of my top choices and i gladly accepted.

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in April 2013.

Interview Details – The job position was posted on my university's career website, so I sent in an email. A couple months later, around March, I received an email requesting a phone interview with the manager the position would be working with. The interview was not difficult, with very general questions about my experience and there were a few behavioral questions; however, because it was my first interview in a while, I was a little nervous and unprepared. A week later I received an email about the interview result.

Interview Question – What did you learn from ______ project?   Answer Question

Associate Research Scientist Interview

Associate Research Scientist
New Brunswick, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in September 2011.

Interview Details – Every thing that big pharma job interview consists

phone with HR, Phone with team, Personal interviews with each member of team, Presentation with Q&A.

Interview Question – Explain the type of work you do at your present job, challenges, examples   Answer Question

Clinical Manager Interview

Clinical Manager
New Brunswick, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in July 2010.

Interview Details – Ability to learn and grow, emphasis on scientific learning and encouraging knowledge sharing. Management emphasizes research and publication as key to growth and development.

Evaluate the process of outsourcing and the actual cost to the company, and don't just go by the estimate of the person who is doing the outsourcing as they will always not account for the other costs and have a vested interest in showing that outsourcing works. IT might work in some cases, but in many others, we are compromising on the integrity on the data and also frustrate the scientist who overseas such outsourced projects.

Being a large institution the process sometimes gets to bureaucratic. Decisions are not always based on sound scientific judgement. Sometimes, it feels like a dog eat dog world.

Interview Question – Give an instance where you had to voice concern over a fellow colleauge and how did you approach it.   Answer Question

Worked for Bristol-Myers Squibb? Contribute to the Community!