Bristol-Myers Squibb

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Research Associate II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bristol-Myers Squibb in January 2013.

I submitted my resume online and was immediately phone interviewed the next day. The associate director mainly asked me what I did at my previous company, special projects, behavioral questions, and what I was responsible for at my company. We set up an interview appointment the following day. She was very professional at all levels.

I brought extra copies of my resumes, studied what the position does, read my notes on my previous work experience, and practiced answering behavior questions (very important).

We had one interview that lasted for a little over 2 hours. Nine people interviewed me: the associate director (first), six staff members (some having PhDs or masters. They came in as 3 pairs of 2), the director (fifth), and finally the associate human resource personal (sixth).

They were very friendly: they asked me about the hybridoma process, what I did at my previous job experience, pretty much trying to see if my behavior was a good fit for them and if I knew what I was talking about. The director was very dynamic and wanted me to answer questions quick, which was great because I was able to show my dynamic personality and keep my questions under 1 to 2 minutes. The associate HR personal was extremely friendly and it was like having a nice conversion with her. In fact, it was like having a nice friendly conversation with all the members.

I had a tour of the first floor, the departments, and the second floor where the offices were. Offices were clean, professional, and the laboratories were equipped with high tech machines and professional instruments. The building was new and Redwood City was beautiful. The company is right off the freeway, but not over-looking it, so, that was a huge plus.

I had a second follow-up phone interview with the associate director after two weeks. She just wanted to know if I was still interested in the position and my future plans and goals. She also asked if hired how much do I want to start making.

I received a phone call after three and a half weeks from a human resource personal stating I received the position.

Interview Questions
    • Questions that were asked. Nothing seemed unexpected. It was a lot of behavior questions from HR and the associate director. Here are ones that I remember:

-Are you willing to relocate?
      -Describe how you achieved a hybridoma cell.
      -How did you use ELISA and western blot to get positive results?
      -Have you worked with FACS?
      -Did you work in a clean environment? How did you use aseptic technique?
      -Describe subcloning. How did you achieve a monoclonal antibody?
      -If we give you the job, when can you start?
      -Why did you leave your previous job?
      -You worked with mice. How did you achieve taking out the spleen?
      -Why do you want to work for us?
      -What are your long term goals?
      -What do you see yourself doing in next 2 years?
      -Why hire you?
      -Are there any other positions from other companies you are considering at the moment?
      -Your published work, what techniques did you use as a research assistant?
        Answer Question
    The company offered better than what I expected along with company and individual bonuses, health plans, 401k with matching, 3 weeks vacation, nine days of holidays, cooperate discount, tuition pay if going back to school, paternity leave, retiring benefits, and much more. I took it because for an entry level position pay and ability to move up in the company seemed reasonable and doable if I work hard.