British American Tobacco

54 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Accounts Assistant Interview

Accounts Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at British American Tobacco in July 2009.

Interview Details – Post job advertisment in the local dailies, contact for interview, provide refreshments, iice breakers and aptitude tests. Friendly, receptive interviewers.

Interview Question – Why BAT Kenya?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Benefits and salsries are comprtitive and attractive: there isn't much to negotiate.

Horeca Manager Interview

Horeca Manager
Almaty (Kazakhstan)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at British American Tobacco in September 2010.

Interview Details – First went through a comprehensive assessment center with tests and screening interviews. Then had an interview with the HR director. Then with the future line manager who suggested I applied to this position rather than an Area Manager one. Complex but fair hiring process.

Negotiation Details – Not too long: I needed the job so I took their offer.

Management Trainee Interview

Management Trainee

I applied through college or university - interviewed at British American Tobacco in June 2012.

Interview Details – The best thing is that the interviewers at BAT are trained. So you should be sure that you will be in capable hands where people wont waste your precious time.
There are several steps, including test, assessment center and behavioral as well as functional interviews.

Interview Question – Be prepared for the frequently asked behavioral interviews along the lines of their well preached values.
Assessment center is what can be tricky.
  View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Finance Manager Interview

Finance Manager

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at British American Tobacco.

Interview Details – First step after applying through an agency was an online SHL logical reasoning test which was very tough so I was shocked to be called back to the second stage. This consisted of an assessment day of activities and interviews. The final stage was a second interview which was followed by an offer.

Interview Question – Tell us of a time when you had to influence a senior manager.   Answer Question

Senior Insights Manager Interview

Senior Insights Manager
Seoul (South Korea)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at British American Tobacco in July 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted by professional search firm (whom where referred to by an ex-colleague of mine from a previous company). After a catch-up session with the head of the search firm they submitted my resume to BAT Korea. The resume review took around 1 week or so and informed of a full day assessment. The assessment involved 3 stages. First stage was "In/Out box exercise". An envelope with various issues, emails, situations were shown. My task was to get my head around the items and issues shown in the envelope and rank them in terms of urgency. I was give around 20 minutes to complete this task. i was left alone during this time and when completed, I sealed the envelope and informed the HR personnel outside the room. Next stage was "4P presentation". A case study was provided and my task was to develop my best strategy for the issue presented. It has been 5 years since I took the evaluation so the case study is a bit blurry, but it involved a shoe company and it was to decide whether to keep producing ourselves or merge with a competitor. I was given around 30 minutes to prepare using pen and paper (on my own). The results were presented to two interviewers. They asked questions in between. The last case study was "HR issue". Another case study was provided for me to read. Then two interviewers acted out a role in the case study. The objective of the case was to see how decisive I am as a manager to objectively evaluate subordinates. If an action is required I needed to act upon it and be stern. After this full day evaluation, it took BAT around 2 weeks to get back with the final interview date. They also requested for referral letters from an ex-line manager, ex-colleague and ex-direct report (if any). The final interview took around 30 minutes and it involved questions about previous challenges I had overcome, reason for looking for another job, how others might evaluate me, my leadership style etc. This was the final stage and then I was hired.

Interview Question – The HR case study within the full day evaluation was the most difficult. Reason is in Korea culture I am not stern or decisive but rather approach any staff who has problems or issues in a rather informal environment and try to be brotherly to assist. So, the objective was not as clear to me when I took the evaluation and that caused some issues during it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They requested a copy of my current pay balance. And proposed to pay 15% on top of that. I was able to negotiate an additional 10% on top of that.

Brand Manager Interview

Brand Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at British American Tobacco in December 2013.

Interview Details – Were interested in whether you could do the job and had the appropriate knowledge and experience rather than what qualifications you may have, a good and refreshing change, friendly, relaxed but probing both on knowledge and personality

Interview Question – Are you a member of any pressure group ?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Friendly

Intern (R&D) Interview

Intern (R&D)
Southampton, England (UK)

I applied online and interviewed at British American Tobacco.

Interview Details – Applied online before having a phone interview and finally a face-to-face interview at the place or work

Interview Question – No great difficulty, know your CV and past work experience and the interview should go well. Make you feel very comfortable   Answer Question

Trade Marketing Specialist Interview

Trade Marketing Specialist
Kiev (Ukraine)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at British American Tobacco in February 2013.

Interview Details – For hiring usually used 5 steps of intervew: CV, call, interview with HR, assesment center, interview with functional manager/ Head of function. Sometimes semms that there are no logic in selecting people. Meanwhile, most hired people are very potential.

Interview Question – Most of questions are standard   Answer Question

Database Administrator Interview

Database Administrator
Heredia (Costa Rica)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at British American Tobacco in September 2013.

Interview Details – A recruiter called me, and she asked me some questions about me, my studies and experience. After a few days, she asked me to go to the company, and again another interview.

Interview Question – How do you feel doing the same thing every day and What you should do to change it?   Answer Question

Services Procurement Analyst Interview

Services Procurement Analyst

Interviewed at British American Tobacco

Interview Details – Had 2 interviews: 1 with HR and the other one with the deparment's manager

Interview Question – What would you do if your budget is $50 and the supplier is aking for $60, and the client only wants to work with that particular supplier?   Answer Question

Worked for British American Tobacco? Contribute to the Community!