British Columbia Government Interview Questions

3.2

Finance Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kamloops, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kamloops, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at British Columbia Government in April 2012.

Pretty normal interview process. There were no trick questions. After the interview was over, I had got called back that day and offered the job. I then had to fill out a long questionnaire on my personal lifestyle. I was not expecting that. I then met with the Human Resources Manager to go over other policies.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult workplace situation you have had to deal with?   View Answer
    None. Union position, so you take what you get. The terms are pretty specific and a contract is sent out that you have to sign.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at British Columbia Government in March 2009.

External and Internal postings - unionized environment. Behavioral Interviews.

Information Technology Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at British Columbia Government.

Applicants are reviewed and screened by professional HR recruiters. For those that match the minimum criteria, they are handed off to the person / group who are posting the position. Shortlisted candidates are asked to complete a written assignment. These are submitted prior to the interview, as part of the final interview selection process.

Interview Questions
    • Some strategic questions were asked which can at times be difficult to wrap effective language around, include specific examples of, and provide evidence of technology and management expertise.   Answer Question
    Government salaries aren't really negotiated much, particularly if you are already within the government. It's generally a set increase relative to your current position, and within salary bands.

Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at British Columbia Government in July 2011.

Initial communications and interview set up very formal.
    Interview process very formal, following hiring documents developed for internal use only.
    Interview process involved large number of canned questions.
    The evaluation was, however, quite subjective - unclear what exactly was evaluated.

Interview Questions
    • Questions associated with the future job, requiring knowledge of it.
      Question asking how I will be successful in the future job, without clarity what success means to the interviewers.
        Answer Question

Credit Risk Analyst Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at British Columbia Government in June 2011.

Interviewed for a credit risk analyst position. Detailed interview on financial statement analysis and a written test on the same

Interview Questions
    • How would you analyze a company for it's financial capability   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at British Columbia Government in June 2009.

initial phone screening
    written exam - technical and written communication assessment
    panel interview - assessing competencies in identified core (soft skill) areas
    reference check with three prior employers
    post offer internal review period to assess if any union grievances, or other issues, noted

Interview Questions
    • what was the most difficult problem you have had to solve   Answer Question
    not applicable - fixed payscales within defined job posting

TELP Program Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at British Columbia Government in March 2011.

Entry-level position. Recruitment process consisted of an initial telephone interview, followed by a written assignment and concluded with a panel interview. Situational/competency questions. Good, comprehensive recruitment process.

HR came off as hostile to those with advanced degrees and appeared incredibly, incredibly paranoid about turnover to the point they seemed to view less qualified candidates as lesser flight-risks and therefore more appropriate to the job in question.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about working for people with less education? Possibly only a high school diploma?   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable position

Finance Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at British Columbia Government in May 2010.

I was contacted about a vancancy after submitting my resume to a general pool. I was interviewed by the hiring manager and one rep from the HR department. They asked me mostly about my experiences and how i would fit into the job i was interviewing for.

Legal Services Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at British Columbia Government in January 2010.

Four interviewers, including representative from HR asked both behavioral and technical questions related to the position. Felt like they already had a candidate in mind/ picked and were just following through with other candidates that they had already booked interviews with. Defiantly felt that there was a negative history associated with the position.

Interview Questions
    • how do you deal with difficult people not wanting to change with organizational change?   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at British Columbia Government in January 2009.

Typical interview - skills based questions, experience questions, how would you handle this sort of situation questions, i.e. difficult people, situations, stress, deadlines. A lot of questions 'how would you handle...' and 'tell me about a situtation where...' Panelled interview, marked, and then ranked. No written portion.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer asked a question on the difference between a business and a system use case   View Answer

Worked for British Columbia Government? Contribute to the Community!