British Columbia Government

Relevance Date Difficulty

Finance Clerk Interview

Finance Clerk
Kamloops, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at British Columbia Government in April 2012.

Interview Details – Pretty normal interview process. There were no trick questions. After the interview was over, I had got called back that day and offered the job. I then had to fill out a long questionnaire on my personal lifestyle. I was not expecting that. I then met with the Human Resources Manager to go over other policies.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult workplace situation you have had to deal with?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. Union position, so you take what you get. The terms are pretty specific and a contract is sent out that you have to sign.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Victoria, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at British Columbia Government in March 2009.

Interview Details – External and Internal postings - unionized environment. Behavioral Interviews.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Information Technology Manager Interview

Information Technology Manager
Victoria, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at British Columbia Government.

Interview Details – Applicants are reviewed and screened by professional HR recruiters. For those that match the minimum criteria, they are handed off to the person / group who are posting the position. Shortlisted candidates are asked to complete a written assignment. These are submitted prior to the interview, as part of the final interview selection process.

Interview Question – Some strategic questions were asked which can at times be difficult to wrap effective language around, include specific examples of, and provide evidence of technology and management expertise.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Government salaries aren't really negotiated much, particularly if you are already within the government. It's generally a set increase relative to your current position, and within salary bands.

Executive Director Interview

Executive Director
Victoria, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at British Columbia Government in July 2011.

Interview Details – Initial communications and interview set up very formal.
Interview process very formal, following hiring documents developed for internal use only.
Interview process involved large number of canned questions.
The evaluation was, however, quite subjective - unclear what exactly was evaluated.

Interview Question – Questions associated with the future job, requiring knowledge of it.
Question asking how I will be successful in the future job, without clarity what success means to the interviewers.
  Answer Question

Credit Risk Analyst Interview

Credit Risk Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at British Columbia Government in June 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed for a credit risk analyst position. Detailed interview on financial statement analysis and a written test on the same

Interview Question – How would you analyze a company for it's financial capability   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at British Columbia Government in June 2009.

Interview Details – initial phone screening
written exam - technical and written communication assessment
panel interview - assessing competencies in identified core (soft skill) areas
reference check with three prior employers
post offer internal review period to assess if any union grievances, or other issues, noted

Interview Question – what was the most difficult problem you have had to solve   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not applicable - fixed payscales within defined job posting

TELP Program Interview

TELP Program

The process took a day - interviewed at British Columbia Government in March 2011.

Interview Details – Entry-level position. Recruitment process consisted of an initial telephone interview, followed by a written assignment and concluded with a panel interview. Situational/competency questions. Good, comprehensive recruitment process.

HR came off as hostile to those with advanced degrees and appeared incredibly, incredibly paranoid about turnover to the point they seemed to view less qualified candidates as lesser flight-risks and therefore more appropriate to the job in question.

Interview Question – How do you feel about working for people with less education? Possibly only a high school diploma?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable position

Finance Interview

Finance

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at British Columbia Government in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted about a vancancy after submitting my resume to a general pool. I was interviewed by the hiring manager and one rep from the HR department. They asked me mostly about my experiences and how i would fit into the job i was interviewing for.

Interview Question – What do you do day-to-day in your current position   Answer Question

Legal Services Interview

Legal Services

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at British Columbia Government in January 2010.

Interview Details – Four interviewers, including representative from HR asked both behavioral and technical questions related to the position. Felt like they already had a candidate in mind/ picked and were just following through with other candidates that they had already booked interviews with. Defiantly felt that there was a negative history associated with the position.

Interview Question – how do you deal with difficult people not wanting to change with organizational change?   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
Victoria, BC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at British Columbia Government in January 2009.

Interview Details – Typical interview - skills based questions, experience questions, how would you handle this sort of situation questions, i.e. difficult people, situations, stress, deadlines. A lot of questions 'how would you handle...' and 'tell me about a situtation where...' Panelled interview, marked, and then ranked. No written portion.

Interview Question – Interviewer asked a question on the difference between a business and a system use case   View Answer

Worked for British Columbia Government? Contribute to the Community!