British Consulate General

7 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at British Consulate General.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a brief phone call interview with HR who later set up the in-person interview. Interview consisted of meeting with the two people the position would mainly work under - HR played very little role in the actual interview process. I had to complete a brief writing test on a computer. Overall, a professional interview experience.

Interview Question – What news channels and periodicals I read on a daily basis (mostly because I just was not expected this question for the position)?   Answer Question

Business Development Associate Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at British Consulate General.

Interview Details – Hiring process is through the Embassy in Washington, your first contact will be a phone call from the HR department asking basic questions. Then an interview will be scheduled at the post you are applying for (there are 10 around the US). Typical questions for a BDA role will be economic development focused, event management, time management, and risk management.

Interview Question – If we hired you tomorrow, tell me how you would go about planning X event?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – NO NEGOTIATION. The posted salary is final - it's government!

Entry Clearance Officer Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at British Consulate General.

Interview Details – The British Government uses "competency based" interviews, so you'll be expected to produce a short story for every "tell me about a time when you..." question. Make sure your story follows the STAR format. I also had to produce a timed writing sample in which I had to write an email response to a dissatisfied customer.

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. The salaries are posted with the job advert and you will either take it or leave it.

Vice Consul Public Diplomacy Interview

Vice Consul Public Diplomacy
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at British Consulate General in August 2008.

Interview Details – Was hired and worked on a special project. Most interesting.

Interview Question – Why I would change career to government position.   View Answer

Business Development Associate Interview

Business Development Associate
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at British Consulate General in July 2011.

Interview Details – applied online with cover letter, resume, recommendation. Was contacted by HR and asked various questions. After the phone interview i received opportunity to have a panel interview as well as an hour research assignment. The people were so friendly and really seemed to enjoy what they were doing. The office was in a great location.

Interview Questions

Manager Interview

New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at British Consulate General in May 2010.

Interview Details – If you work at the Consulate, its most likely not what you'd imagined it to be when you applied. I interviewed for a manager position and during the course of the 3 person panel interview, I was constantly told that I would be performing menial tasks. Way to present the job! British are stereotyped as being cold and stand-offish and the interview did nothing but reconfirm this generalization.

At the end of the interview, I was asked to take a "skills" test. If you're testing my skills at obtruse scenarios, then I guess the test I was given fit the bill. Question: "The deputy counsel's wife calls you at 5 pm on a Friday night and says the power has gone out at their townhouse residence. She has already contacted an electrician who has not yet arrived They are hosting a reception gala at 7 pm that evening at their residence for 200 guests, most of whom are foreign dignitaries. What do you do?" Say whaaaa???? EXACTLY.

Also should mention interview was scheduled for 3pm and they kept me waiting until 3:45 pm. Imagine the impression you'd make arriving 45 minutes late. Just because I'm in the market for a job, doesn't mean that my time isn't valuable!

Interview Question – See above non-sensical question. Is there REALLY a categorically correct way to answer this?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Receptionist Interview

Bucharest (Romania)

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at British Consulate General.

Interview Details – This was only a temporary position, as their current receptionist needed to go in vacation. There was only one interview, I don't remember the name of the HR person but all the experience was great. Starting with the first question and till the last day of working there. There wasn't any "tricky" questions, just an open, sincere discussion about my intentions to work there.

Interview Question – There wasn't any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for British Consulate General? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at British Consulate General interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by British Consulate General employees and interview candidates.