British Consulate-General New York Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

3.2

Science and Innovation Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at British Consulate-General New York (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

One brief phone interview where I was offered the panel interview during. The panel consisted of three interviewers, one was the Deputy Director of Science and Innovation, the other was the head of Science and Innovation in LA, and the third was a public relations person. After that interview, I went to an interview with just the Head of Science and Innovation. I made the mistake of thinking it would be laid back but he still asked me Competency based questions which caught me off guard a bit. I felt like I floundered a bit but i was offered the job about a week later.

Interview Questions

• What is one obstacle you've faced at work that you had to overcome?   1 Answer
    • How would you be able to tell if a trip with a UK minster went well?   1 Answer
    • Discuss a time when you had to do something you didn't agree with.   1 Answer
    • How would you prepare for a Minister's arrival if you had six months to organize it?   1 Answer

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at British Consulate-General New York (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied online and received a brief phone call interview with HR who later set up the in-person interview. Interview consisted of meeting with the two people the position would mainly work under - HR played very little role in the actual interview process. I had to complete a brief writing test on a computer. Overall, a professional interview experience.

Interview Questions

• What news channels and periodicals I read on a daily basis (mostly because I just was not expected this question for the position)?   Answer Question

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at British Consulate-General New York (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Hiring process is through the Embassy in Washington, your first contact will be a phone call from the HR department asking basic questions. Then an interview will be scheduled at the post you are applying for (there are 10 around the US). Typical questions for a BDA role will be economic development focused, event management, time management, and risk management.

Interview Questions

• If we hired you tomorrow, tell me how you would go about planning X event?   1 Answer

Negotiation

NO NEGOTIATION. The posted salary is final - it's government!

Entry Clearance Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at British Consulate-General New York.

Interview

The British Government uses "competency based" interviews, so you'll be expected to produce a short story for every "tell me about a time when you..." question. Make sure your story follows the STAR format. I also had to produce a timed writing sample in which I had to write an email response to a dissatisfied customer.

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. The salaries are posted with the job advert and you will either take it or leave it.

Public Affairs Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at British Consulate-General New York in February 2012.

Interview

Interviews are competency based. You should come prepared to answer questions (with succinct examples from your past work experience) related to: team work, adaptability/flexibility, management, policy delivery, ability to communicate and influence.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. Knowing the inflexibility on wages/leave there would not have been a benefit to negotiating.

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at British Consulate-General New York (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

applied online with cover letter, resume, recommendation. Was contacted by HR and asked various questions. After the phone interview i received opportunity to have a panel interview as well as an hour research assignment. The people were so friendly and really seemed to enjoy what they were doing. The office was in a great location.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at British Consulate-General New York (New York, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

If you work at the Consulate, its most likely not what you'd imagined it to be when you applied. I interviewed for a manager position and during the course of the 3 person panel interview, I was constantly told that I would be performing menial tasks. Way to present the job! British are stereotyped as being cold and stand-offish and the interview did nothing but reconfirm this generalization.

At the end of the interview, I was asked to take a "skills" test. If you're testing my skills at obtruse scenarios, then I guess the test I was given fit the bill. Question: "The deputy counsel's wife calls you at 5 pm on a Friday night and says the power has gone out at their townhouse residence. She has already contacted an electrician who has not yet arrived They are hosting a reception gala at 7 pm that evening at their residence for 200 guests, most of whom are foreign dignitaries. What do you do?" Say whaaaa???? EXACTLY.

Also should mention interview was scheduled for 3pm and they kept me waiting until 3:45 pm. Imagine the impression you'd make arriving 45 minutes late. Just because I'm in the market for a job, doesn't mean that my time isn't valuable!

Interview Questions

• See above non-sensical question. Is there REALLY a categorically correct way to answer this?   Answer Question

Vice Consul Public Diplomacy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at British Consulate-General New York (Houston, TX) in August 2008.

Interview

Was hired and worked on a special project. Most interesting.

Interview Questions

• Why I would change career to government position.   1 Answer

Events Coordinator Interview

Interview

Panel interview, usually with 3 people. Competency based, can see the levels for each position online on their website. So no surprise questions for what they're looking for when you go to website.

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bucharest (Romania)

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at British Consulate-General New York (Bucharest (Romania)).

Interview

This was only a temporary position, as their current receptionist needed to go in vacation. There was only one interview, I don't remember the name of the HR person but all the experience was great. Starting with the first question and till the last day of working there. There wasn't any "tricky" questions, just an open, sincere discussion about my intentions to work there.