British Council Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2014
Updated Aug 21, 2014

3.2

Branch Support Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at British Council.

I applied application online. They acknowledge my application immediately (BC only acknowledge short-listed CV). After 5 working days, BC called me for interview. I had 5 days for interview preparation. The interview is not difficult if you well prepare. BC's interview is Competent-based questions. Read BC's behaviour guide carefully before the interview as the interview panel will ask practical questions regarding your past experience to see how it matches with their culture/value.

Interview Questions
    • - Could you tell me how do you build trust?
      - Could you tell me an example in your past where you handled job difficulty?
      - Tell us how did you work with different parties holding different aims?
      - etc
        View Answer

Programming Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at British Council in August 2010.

An endless application form followed by questions that were the same as those int he application form. Felt very bureucratic.

Any Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online - interviewed at British Council.

Mostly only Interview - Structured Behaviours/ Competency based questions. Need to have bank of examples available in order to do well. Once you pass the interview, they will also require references, medical check, and sometimes police check.

Interview Questions
    • Generic competency such as team work, initiative, problem solving, planning ahead   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Very slow process to claim travel. The interview process seemed a waste of time, where it seemed they had already selected a person, but were going through the motions. One of the interviewer completely in there own world.

Senior Finance Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at British Council in February 2012.

Only one round, all competency based, the interiewer were nice, but it seemed that they prefer internal candidates and someone with ACCA background. The HR was nice, the finance team was not very big, the working hours were quite normal, the salary was normally not negotiable and was disclosed in the job description.

Interview Questions
    • no difficult question, but testing the ability to respond appropriately   Answer Question

Marketing Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at British Council.

Quite standard with situational questions with your future boss and related departments. You will have to had good track record because it is obligated that you need to have a reference in person to be officially accepted to work in the company. Also, you will be asked to offer reason why you are a good fit for the company in terms of culture.

Interview Questions
    There was small ground to negotiate because the process is very standardized

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at British Council in May 2011.

It was only a one stage interview where you met two British Council employees. They ask you a lot about what the BC does, why you believe it's work is important/influential. Having a good understanding of cultural relations is really beneficial. The rest of the interview is competency questions, a time where you have influenced somebody, a time where your teamworking skills made a difference, similar to the ones on the application. There are no trick questions.

Exams Assistant Interview

Applied after finding vacancy on line. Had a response within a few days and was called to interview the next week. The interview itself was around 45 minutes long. As the position was based in Paris, questions were asked in both English and French which was a little daunting at first.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions - all questions were based around the competencies that were in the original application.   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at British Council in November 2013.

Applied online and was tasked to work on a task to write a 500 word business plan to bring a brand new UK product/service into a new East Asian market. Waited 1 week before they came back with confirmation of a phone interview. Was interviewed on the phone by 3 key Directors (who are based in different countries). Questions asked were mainly based on current or past roles/ experiences.

Interview Questions
    • - Tell me some innovative sales promotions that you had done previously
      - In 3 bullet points, how are you capable of this position?
      - What are the challenges that you think you would face in this role?
      - Have you faced any challenges in your new territories/ markets and how do you overcome them?
      - KPIs- how are you currently measured against?
      - BC has a strict child safety policy- what are your views on it?
        Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at British Council in September 2013.

Short 45min interview

Interview Questions

Current company improved my package, so stayed

Worked for British Council? Contribute to the Community!