British Council Interview Questions

Updated Jul 6, 2015

3.1

Administration Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at British Council.

Interview

I got the invitation weeks after sending the resume and I was told that I passed the first round of interview. I was told to wear formal dress for that. There were two part of the interview, first was face to face conversation with the employers and the second part was to answer a few questions about admin on paper. The first part went fairly well, just some basic questions like: why do you apply for this position? What's your past work experience? The most difficult experience at your work. Tell us about an event that shows you are very detail-oriented. I honestly admitted that I had never worked as an admin assistant but I have related experience as a foreign affair assistant at school, and from my last internship at Disney English I got pretty familiar with communicating with clients. It went pretty good. It was important to be honest with your boss. And I got the offer a week after.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at British Council.

Interview

I applied application online. They acknowledge my application immediately (BC only acknowledge short-listed CV). After 5 working days, BC called me for interview. I had 5 days for interview preparation. The interview is not difficult if you well prepare. BC's interview is Competent-based questions. Read BC's behaviour guide carefully before the interview as the interview panel will ask practical questions regarding your past experience to see how it matches with their culture/value.

Interview Questions

• - Could you tell me how do you build trust? - Could you tell me an example in your past where you handled job difficulty? - Tell us how did you work with different parties holding different aims? - etc   1 Answer

Programming Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at British Council (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

An endless application form followed by questions that were the same as those int he application form. Felt very bureucratic.

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at British Council.

Interview

One stage interview, straight forward with line manager and country director, references checked, contracting was difficult, spent a lot of time on meeting various people between offer and starting the job, which is not ideal

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at British Council.

Interview

I was facing several people, from direct workers to HR interns, all were gentle and genuinly interested in my personality. I was asked why British council, what I know about it. To exemplify my leadership, organisational and teamwork skills-nothing unexpected. Get an offer in about 3 days, looking forward for the internship.

Programmer Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at British Council (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Standard UK Civil Services process and capability based interview, done over skype at the panels suggestion. Panel had problems operating the tech (microphone not plugged in, laptop running out of charge) and several of the questions asked could only have been fully answered by an internal candidate very familiar with the internal operations of the team the role was with.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest problem the team has and how would you fix this.   1 Answer

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at British Council (Johannesburg (South Africa)) in April 2015.

Interview

After an online application form was filled in. I received an call six weeks later from the HR department. And interview was set up for the next week. My manager and a co-worker did the interview. My interview ran for about 30 minutes. Feedback was given the following week.

Interview Questions

Interview

Applied at the BC online platform and after 10-15 days they sent me an email to inform that i have been selected to proceed with the next phase -interview. The email included all the necessary information such as when, time as well as short description of the interview process. Specifically, mentioned that it would be a panel of three people, the duration would be about an hour and the questions will be focused on the skills and behavior required for the position. The document presenting the position and the required skills, included information about the above requirements. Indeed all the issues that we discussed were taken from this document. They asked me to provide them specific examples.

Interview Questions

• How do yoh connect with people?   Answer Question
    • How do you understand the term shared goal and how you manage to communicate this to your team.   Answer Question

Role Within Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at British Council (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

Very quick and easy to get to interview. Competency based question based on the job spec, which were straight forward to prepare for and questions about my CV. Unfortunately still haven't had any feedback 3wks later and they are re-advertising the role through other agencies. Not a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to influence and work closely with someone.   Answer Question

Any Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at British Council (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)).

Interview

Mostly only Interview - Structured Behaviours/ Competency based questions. Need to have bank of examples available in order to do well. Once you pass the interview, they will also require references, medical check, and sometimes police check.

Interview Questions

• Generic competency such as team work, initiative, problem solving, planning ahead   Answer Question