British Council

Updated Oct 25, 2014
Updated Oct 25, 2014

3.2

Branch Support Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at British Council.

I applied application online. They acknowledge my application immediately (BC only acknowledge short-listed CV). After 5 working days, BC called me for interview. I had 5 days for interview preparation. The interview is not difficult if you well prepare. BC's interview is Competent-based questions. Read BC's behaviour guide carefully before the interview as the interview panel will ask practical questions regarding your past experience to see how it matches with their culture/value.

Interview Questions
    • - Could you tell me how do you build trust?
      - Could you tell me an example in your past where you handled job difficulty?
      - Tell us how did you work with different parties holding different aims?
      - etc
        View Answer

Programming Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at British Council in August 2010.

An endless application form followed by questions that were the same as those int he application form. Felt very bureucratic.

Role Within Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at British Council in October 2014.

Very quick and easy to get to interview. Competency based question based on the job spec, which were straight forward to prepare for and questions about my CV. Unfortunately still haven't had any feedback 3wks later and they are re-advertising the role through other agencies. Not a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you had to influence and work closely with someone.   Answer Question

Any Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online – interviewed at British Council.

Mostly only Interview - Structured Behaviours/ Competency based questions. Need to have bank of examples available in order to do well. Once you pass the interview, they will also require references, medical check, and sometimes police check.

Interview Questions
    • Generic competency such as team work, initiative, problem solving, planning ahead   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Very slow process to claim travel. The interview process seemed a waste of time, where it seemed they had already selected a person, but were going through the motions. One of the interviewer completely in there own world.

Marketing Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at British Council.

Quite standard with situational questions with your future boss and related departments. You will have to had good track record because it is obligated that you need to have a reference in person to be officially accepted to work in the company. Also, you will be asked to offer reason why you are a good fit for the company in terms of culture.

Interview Questions
    There was small ground to negotiate because the process is very standardized

Exams Assistant Interview

Applied after finding vacancy on line. Had a response within a few days and was called to interview the next week. The interview itself was around 45 minutes long. As the position was based in Paris, questions were asked in both English and French which was a little daunting at first.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions - all questions were based around the competencies that were in the original application.   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at British Council in November 2013.

Applied online and was tasked to work on a task to write a 500 word business plan to bring a brand new UK product/service into a new East Asian market. Waited 1 week before they came back with confirmation of a phone interview. Was interviewed on the phone by 3 key Directors (who are based in different countries). Questions asked were mainly based on current or past roles/ experiences.

Interview Questions
    • - Tell me some innovative sales promotions that you had done previously
      - In 3 bullet points, how are you capable of this position?
      - What are the challenges that you think you would face in this role?
      - Have you faced any challenges in your new territories/ markets and how do you overcome them?
      - KPIs- how are you currently measured against?
      - BC has a strict child safety policy- what are your views on it?
        Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at British Council in September 2013.

Short 45min interview

Interview Questions

Current company improved my package, so stayed

EXAMINATION SERVICES MANAGER Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at British Council.

Initial Short Listing based on Competencies; Interview based on the same competencies; Panel Interview, with no HR and functional managers; The examples were asked to be real and the evience was noted on a forms

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a situation where you have to take over operations of long standing partners   Answer Question
    We have good news