British Gas

Updated Dec 1, 2014

3.1

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at British Gas in November 2014.

the first interview is by telephone, they ask you to have examples of times you have had a mechanical problem, and i dont recall the other, but they let you prepare the answers well in advance. I hate talking over the phone, so i was sure i wasnt going to make it to the next stage, but the lady that conducted the interview was really friendly and made the process alot easier. She then told me that i had made it to the next stage which is a half day assessment in Leeds, this consisted of an interview, a mechanical reasoning test and a team exercise (kind of like roleplay).
    in the interview you are sat in a room with 2 managers, they were both really friendly and told me that they like to try and do them informally. They asked questions based on the answers you gave in the behavioural test online to apply for the job, (e.g 'in the behavioural test, the answers you gave suggest that you may, on occasion, cut corners in your work, tell me a time when you may have not been as thorough as you could have been'). Then it was the mechanical reasoning test, it was very easy, it was just multiple choice questions that you had to answer, e.g if cog x moves this way, which way will cog y move? and then finally, it was the group exercise... where all the candidates sat together, and a lady that worked there pretended to be a customer and you had to make things for her like paperclip bracelets and blow up balloons whilst some other staff watch and review you. it sounds easy, but after the first try where you make them, she will say its not right she wanted a bracelet made of all blue paperclips and only red balloons blowing up (so you have to ask her specifically what she wants before you start, if you remember to do that you will have a massive advantage because noone asked, they just assumed) Overall it was a good experience, everyone was really helpful and friendly, they rang me today and unfortunately i didnt get the job, im really disappointed, but they said it was the interview that let me down, but they were impressed with the rest of my application, and they encouraged me to apply again in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me an example of a time that you have completed a task for a company that you may have found unethical   Answer Question

Trainee Smart Metering Expert Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at British Gas in October 2014.

Very professionally carried out by British Gas. I got the feeling I was involved in something I could win at - with what I had to offer.
    Online application with following sections: Personal Details/Online Assessment/CV Upload/ Equal Opportunities/Further Info.
    Online assessment was easy-ish, but there's quite a bit to read then answer questions on (multiple choice) - so you can't dawdle; you have to crack-on!
    Then, a few days later, a telephone interview (almost 30 mins). Again, not too difficult, but try and prepare some examples of you having solved some practical/mechanicals problem; having worked better as part of a team than by yourself and having given excellent customer service (above and beyond the call of duty).
    If you get to a face to face assessment/interview, as I did, that's when the going gets tough, because, even if you have everything (and more) needed for the job, they still have to like you. So, having gotten just about everything right, you then still face something of a lottery!
    I allowed my concentration on the tasks to take precedence over my body language and facial expressions and that was a mistake! So, relax, smile, take it seriously, but not too seriously and you might just get the balance right.

Interview Questions
    • Sorry, I have to paraphrase, as I can't recall exact wording:
      "When have you found following the rules difficult and how did you reconcile this?"

Answer Question

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at British Gas in October 2014.

filled in online application which was a very long process and then the following day i got a telephone call advising id been short listed for a telephone interview. The telephone interview lasted aroud 20 minutes and consisted on compentancy based questions .I got told the same day i was successful and then attended an assessment day which lasted 3 hours . The assessment day started with a tour of the call centre and a quick presentation then a 30 min competancy based interview based on the results of your personality questionaire from the application stage ... following on from that you have two role play calls which you do in the call centre ... the first is a customer calling to advise they think their bill is too high and the second is an angry customer complaining their bill is £20 higher but this is because their promotion has ended. Before you do the calls you get 20 mins to prepare.

Interview Questions
    • the questions are based on the personality questionaire so its easy to answer them and give an example   Answer Question

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thatcham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thatcham, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at British Gas.

Applied online through their careers website. Overall the online section was smooth comprising of the usual CV upload and filling out your history and personal details. There are some competency based online tests (basic numeracy, verbal reasoning and a personality test) and if successful a telephone interview. Personally I found the whole telephone interview unpleasant. The interviewer for me was rude and did not come across as someone who wanted to hire anyone. Thankfully however I passed, the questions were not too complicated for example: what do you know about the company?
    explain a time you solved a mechanical problem?
    explain a time you helped a customer with an issue? etc.
    After the interview is finished if you are successful you are invited to an assessment day there and then.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you solved a mechanical problem?   View Answer

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at British Gas in July 2014.

After entering initial details, I was sent a link to an online application form & test. There were some (very easy, in my opinion) tests regarding numeracy & literacy, plus one of those multiple choice personality profile tests. After completing this I was emailed again & offered a telephone interview a few weeks later. This was quite easy - general competency based questions were asked, similar to some of the responsibilities of of the role. Some research of the company would be beneficial for this part as they do ask questions about what you know of British Gas/Centrica. Immediately after the phone interview - on the same call - I was told that I was successful and if I wanted to, could continue to the assessment centre which would involve some group exercises, an interview & a mechanical reasoning test.

The assessment centre date was given to me well in advance so I had time to arrange a day off from my current job to get there (it was just over an hour away from me in Thatcham). The assessment day turned out to be a very long process with a lot of waiting around. Firstly you sit through a very informative presentation about the role, the company, pay, hours, etc. Then you have the interview, mechanical test & group exercise, not necessarily in that order. You are given 10mins in a room to prepare for your interview with a few questions on a piece of paper. The interview was held by two managers & the questions are based answers given in the personality test. Some of the questions were quite difficult to answer. If you have ever done a competency interview though you will be ok. Make sure to note some examples of tasks you have completed, difficult times or giving good customer service.

Wear a suit or similar to the assessment day. They don't give you much idea about the dress code but we all had a suit & tie on.

The mechanical reasoning test was quite straight forward. I'd recommend doing online practice tests to get an idea of what sort of questions you'll get. We were given 20minutes to complete it which was actually too long for me.

The group exercise consists of some tasks for a customer, within a time limit. It's basically to assess both your communication skills and ability to ascertain customer requirements and not promise anything you can't deliver. The tasks initially seem easy until you ask more questions about what is required.

It's clear they are looking for candidates who are good with people, can communicate effectively, ask questions & have empathy. Demonstrate these skills and you will likely be offered a role.

Overall a good experience and a very professional, well thought out process to get the best candidates.

Interview Questions
    • If you were able to, would you cut corners to get things done quicker?   View Answer

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at British Gas in May 2014.

Filled out the Application Form,got back to me withing 2/3 weeks stating that I was successful.
    Then booked a Telephone Interview,which I was successful in too.
    Then booked a Roleplay Telephone Interview,which was thankfully successful!!

Now I have a Face to Face Interview which I have scheduled in a few weeks time,which I am really nervous for!!

Interview Questions
    • Roleplay Telephone Interview may be difficult but keep practicing!   View Answer

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at British Gas in April 2014.

The online application process was smooth and easy to follow. As well as the usual uploading of CV and completing application form I was required to take various behavioural tests/quizzes as well as a couple of arithmetic tests. After passing this stage I was invited to undertake a telephone interview which was arranged online and confirmed via email. This stage was very annoying as the interviewer did not call at the arranged time and I has to chase up. The reason given for not calling was not the most professional. I was asked 3 basic questions and passed this stage and progressed onto the final interview and role play. The role play did not go as well as I'd hoped but the interview seemed to go well.

As expected I didn't get the job as I made a mistake on the role play.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall any question being that difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at British Gas.

Recruiter hadn't read my cv and went ahead to let me know. Interview was fine except for that horrible start.

No negotiation. Bait and switch tactics used.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at British Gas in July 2013.

The initial contact went really well. The HR lady was very personable and friendly. We had a first phone interview that was quite informal. She then scheduled a face to face interview with the corporate HR manager and the division HR head. It was a competency based interview looking to understand the fit of the candidate with British Gas' values. They were both professional and to the point.
    I would recommend researching those values and preparing short, impactful stories to highlight your fit.

Overall, they were professional. The very disappointing part for me was that I actually never got an answer from them despite reaching out multiple times to the HR contacts I had. Disappointing coming from an organisation like British Gas.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time where you put yourself in your customer shoes   Answer Question

Energy Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at British Gas.

Face to face interview and role play.

Interview Questions
    Offer only, no negotiation.