British Gas Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Sep 23, 2014

3.1

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Thatcham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thatcham, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at British Gas.

Applied online through their careers website. Overall the online section was smooth comprising of the usual CV upload and filling out your history and personal details. There are some competency based online tests (basic numeracy, verbal reasoning and a personality test) and if successful a telephone interview. Personally I found the whole telephone interview unpleasant. The interviewer for me was rude and did not come across as someone who wanted to hire anyone. Thankfully however I passed, the questions were not too complicated for example: what do you know about the company?
    explain a time you solved a mechanical problem?
    explain a time you helped a customer with an issue? etc.
    After the interview is finished if you are successful you are invited to an assessment day there and then.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you solved a mechanical problem?   View Answer

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at British Gas in July 2014.

After entering initial details, I was sent a link to an online application form & test. There were some (very easy, in my opinion) tests regarding numeracy & literacy, plus one of those multiple choice personality profile tests. After completing this I was emailed again & offered a telephone interview a few weeks later. This was quite easy - general competency based questions were asked, similar to some of the responsibilities of of the role. Some research of the company would be beneficial for this part as they do ask questions about what you know of British Gas/Centrica. Immediately after the phone interview - on the same call - I was told that I was successful and if I wanted to, could continue to the assessment centre which would involve some group exercises, an interview & a mechanical reasoning test.

The assessment centre date was given to me well in advance so I had time to arrange a day off from my current job to get there (it was just over an hour away from me in Thatcham). The assessment day turned out to be a very long process with a lot of waiting around. Firstly you sit through a very informative presentation about the role, the company, pay, hours, etc. Then you have the interview, mechanical test & group exercise, not necessarily in that order. You are given 10mins in a room to prepare for your interview with a few questions on a piece of paper. The interview was held by two managers & the questions are based answers given in the personality test. Some of the questions were quite difficult to answer. If you have ever done a competency interview though you will be ok. Make sure to note some examples of tasks you have completed, difficult times or giving good customer service.

Wear a suit or similar to the assessment day. They don't give you much idea about the dress code but we all had a suit & tie on.

The mechanical reasoning test was quite straight forward. I'd recommend doing online practice tests to get an idea of what sort of questions you'll get. We were given 20minutes to complete it which was actually too long for me.

The group exercise consists of some tasks for a customer, within a time limit. It's basically to assess both your communication skills and ability to ascertain customer requirements and not promise anything you can't deliver. The tasks initially seem easy until you ask more questions about what is required.

It's clear they are looking for candidates who are good with people, can communicate effectively, ask questions & have empathy. Demonstrate these skills and you will likely be offered a role.

Overall a good experience and a very professional, well thought out process to get the best candidates.

Interview Questions
    • If you were able to, would you cut corners to get things done quicker?   View Answer

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Leicester, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at British Gas in May 2014.

Filled out the Application Form,got back to me withing 2/3 weeks stating that I was successful.
    Then booked a Telephone Interview,which I was successful in too.
    Then booked a Roleplay Telephone Interview,which was thankfully successful!!

Now I have a Face to Face Interview which I have scheduled in a few weeks time,which I am really nervous for!!

Interview Questions
    • Roleplay Telephone Interview may be difficult but keep practicing!   View Answer

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at British Gas in April 2014.

The online application process was smooth and easy to follow. As well as the usual uploading of CV and completing application form I was required to take various behavioural tests/quizzes as well as a couple of arithmetic tests. After passing this stage I was invited to undertake a telephone interview which was arranged online and confirmed via email. This stage was very annoying as the interviewer did not call at the arranged time and I has to chase up. The reason given for not calling was not the most professional. I was asked 3 basic questions and passed this stage and progressed onto the final interview and role play. The role play did not go as well as I'd hoped but the interview seemed to go well.

As expected I didn't get the job as I made a mistake on the role play.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall any question being that difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days - interviewed at British Gas.

Recruiter hadn't read my cv and went ahead to let me know. Interview was fine except for that horrible start.

No negotiation. Bait and switch tactics used.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at British Gas in July 2013.

The initial contact went really well. The HR lady was very personable and friendly. We had a first phone interview that was quite informal. She then scheduled a face to face interview with the corporate HR manager and the division HR head. It was a competency based interview looking to understand the fit of the candidate with British Gas' values. They were both professional and to the point.
    I would recommend researching those values and preparing short, impactful stories to highlight your fit.

Overall, they were professional. The very disappointing part for me was that I actually never got an answer from them despite reaching out multiple times to the HR contacts I had. Disappointing coming from an organisation like British Gas.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time where you put yourself in your customer shoes   Answer Question

Energy Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Birmingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at British Gas.

Face to face interview and role play.

Interview Questions
    Offer only, no negotiation.

IT Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Staines, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staines, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days - interviewed at British Gas in September 2011.

Initial phone interview with line manager where he went over the role and expectations and I was asked to give a brief overview of skills to make sure it was a good match. Duration 20 mins.

Face to face interview 2 days later, kind repeating the above and going into a bit more detail. Interview was with the line manager and one of the senior team members. Nice straight forward interview with none of these fluffy HR type questions. Duration 1 hour.

Interview was at 11:00, by 13:00 I had an offer which I accepted.

If only all interviews were as straight forward as this.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your previous role.   Answer Question
    • Outline what you think makes you a good candidate for the role.   View Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at British Gas in April 2010.

Initially screened over the phone the door to door sales representative interview consisted of a number of steps and a final interview day out at a hotel. Apart from generic interview questions about background and experience, the field job interview involved a ‘scenario test’ session. Where you are asked to try and sell the product to one of your customers. One person from the panel acts as a customer and the other one notices your pitch, body language and presentation style.

Final interview is conducted with 2-3 people, lasting about 30-45 minutes it is a much more formal affair with questions regarding your background, experience, ambitions and future goals.

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at British Gas in September 2009.

Online application following by phone interview then personal interview including role play telephone calls. Friendly interviewers who paint a lovely picture of the company.

Interview Questions
    • The telephone call was quite hard as had to give bill information on call reading from sheet   Answer Question

Worked for British Gas? Contribute to the Community!