British Gas Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 27, 2015

3.1

Sales Support Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at British Gas (Oxford, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

I was invited to an assessment centre after my online application. The assessment centre included a 15 minutes Excel test, 2 group exercises and a face to face interview. It took about 2,5 hours altogether. The Excel test was basic. Data entry and formatting. We had 15 minutes to complete it. In the first group exercise we had to put the passengers in order of rescuing them of a sinking boat. At the end we had to explain the reason of the order of the passengers. In the second group exercise we had to build a building from paper using only 2 staples and loads of sheets of blank A4 paper. We had to build as high as we could and stable as possible at the same time. There was a "wind test" at the end. Between the group exercises there was a 10 minutes break with drinks and snacks. On the interview there was nothing unexpected. (Talk about yourself, Why should they hire you, Tell me about your weaknesses, Where do you feel you need to improve, How much money would you like to get for this position) If you prepare yourself you will be fine. The atmosphere was friendly during the whole assessment centre.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at British Gas in June 2015.

Interview

Telephone interview. Had telephone interview. Interviewer was very polite. Asked me if I was ready for telephone interview. Interviewer confirmed my name, address i.e. email, home address. Then straight to simple question/answer interview. No such questions were asked that you need to think and answer. Told me that they will inform me within 14 days if I am selected for further process.

Interview Questions

• 1. Why do you want to join British Gas? 2. What experiences have you got in gas/electric meter installations? 3. What do you know about smart metering?   Answer Question

Trainee Smart Meter Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thatcham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at British Gas (Thatcham, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Firstly you will do an online assessment of your personality and basic engineering tasks. Then you will be asked if you would like a telephone interview, which will last 30 minutes. If successful you will then be invited to the assessment centre and have another interview, a group discussion, and a basic practical task.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you worked well as part of a team. Tell us about a time you did some difficult practical work with your hands. Tell us about a time you provided outstanding customer service. Tell us about a time when you solved a problem at work under pressure.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.The contract is set out beforehand.

Call Centre Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at British Gas.

Interview

Online application involved a maths test which was quite hard as time limited. Got a phone interview which lasted about 20mins. Didn't know enough about the company. Answers too vague.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at British Gas.

Interview

Firstly you complete the application form online, which is fairly straight forward, assessing your suitability for the role. After this you take part in a telephone interview where you are asked fairly standard questions, such as describe a time you provided great customer service. If successful at this stage you are invited to the assessment centre, which lasts half a day. It is a thorough but very good assessment which allows you to showcase your strengths. After this you will receive a phone call with their decision as well as feedback.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at British Gas.

Interview

First you do an online application with some Numerical tests and Structured Questions. You also get to fill in questions on your attitudes, adapting to change and so on. Then if you are successful you get a telephone interview. This is mostly competency based. Also do research. Finally you are invited to an Assessment Centre. There is a role play and the information is all there. There is also an interview based on the online answers about your attitudes and how you adapt to change or are able to work in a team. Mostly its Situation; Task; Action & Result (STAR) based so examples have to be good.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me of a time when you were in a team and had problems. How did you feel? What did you do? Did you tell your boss?   Answer Question

Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at British Gas (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

The first part of the process was a telephone interview. You are told immediately if you have passed and are then invited to an assessment day. This involved a team activity, a role play and a competency based interview.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you used your persuasion skills?   Answer Question

Smart Meter Expert Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at British Gas (Cardiff, Wales (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Online application first followed by telephone interview. If successful you move on to assesment day and interview locally. Online application is easy and telephone interview lasts about 30 mins. I'm still waiting to hear if I've been successful for the next stage

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you fixed something mechanical.   Answer Question

Smart Energy Expert (Meter Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at British Gas (Derby, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

the first interview is by telephone, they ask you to have examples of times you have had a mechanical problem, and i dont recall the other, but they let you prepare the answers well in advance. I hate talking over the phone, so i was sure i wasnt going to make it to the next stage, but the lady that conducted the interview was really friendly and made the process alot easier. She then told me that i had made it to the next stage which is a half day assessment in Leeds, this consisted of an interview, a mechanical reasoning test and a team exercise (kind of like roleplay). in the interview you are sat in a room with 2 managers, they were both really friendly and told me that they like to try and do them informally. They asked questions based on the answers you gave in the behavioural test online to apply for the job, (e.g 'in the behavioural test, the answers you gave suggest that you may, on occasion, cut corners in your work, tell me a time when you may have not been as thorough as you could have been'). Then it was the mechanical reasoning test, it was very easy, it was just multiple choice questions that you had to answer, e.g if cog x moves this way, which way will cog y move? and then finally, it was the group exercise... where all the candidates sat together, and a lady that worked there pretended to be a customer and you had to make things for her like paperclip bracelets and blow up balloons whilst some other staff watch and review you. it sounds easy, but after the first try where you make them, she will say its not right she wanted a bracelet made of all blue paperclips and only red balloons blowing up (so you have to ask her specifically what she wants before you start, if you remember to do that you will have a massive advantage because noone asked, they just assumed) Overall it was a good experience, everyone was really helpful and friendly, they rang me today and unfortunately i didnt get the job, im really disappointed, but they said it was the interview that let me down, but they were impressed with the rest of my application, and they encouraged me to apply again in the future.

Interview Questions

• Tell me an example of a time that you have completed a task for a company that you may have found unethical   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at British Gas in October 2014.

Interview

Very professionally carried out by British Gas. I got the feeling I was involved in something I could win at - with what I had to offer. Online application with following sections: Personal Details/Online Assessment/CV Upload/ Equal Opportunities/Further Info. Online assessment was easy-ish, but there's quite a bit to read then answer questions on (multiple choice) - so you can't dawdle; you have to crack-on! Then, a few days later, a telephone interview (almost 30 mins). Again, not too difficult, but try and prepare some examples of you having solved some practical/mechanicals problem; having worked better as part of a team than by yourself and having given excellent customer service (above and beyond the call of duty). If you get to a face to face assessment/interview, as I did, that's when the going gets tough, because, even if you have everything (and more) needed for the job, they still have to like you. So, having gotten just about everything right, you then still face something of a lottery! I allowed my concentration on the tasks to take precedence over my body language and facial expressions and that was a mistake! So, relax, smile, take it seriously, but not too seriously and you might just get the balance right.

Interview Questions

• Sorry, I have to paraphrase, as I can't recall exact wording: "When have you found following the rules difficult and how did you reconcile this?"   Answer Question