British Red Cross Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

Digital Fundraising Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at British Red Cross (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Stages weren't clear - had 1st interview which was a panel interview of 2, then a test. Followed up with a 2nd interview which was a presentation, a panel interview of 3 and then another test.

Interview Questions

• lots of competency based questions. Not many focused on Digital Fundraising. More around management and prioritization of your time.   Answer Question
    • Test 1 (1hr) complete spreadsheet with formula. Write what further info is needed to review activity more thoroughly. Recommendations on which activity performed the best and what you would look to increase. Any key assumptions.
      Part 2 of test 1: Critically assess an email and a landing page. Highlight what you would look to emulate or change. Make testing recommendations for the future.

Answer Question
    • Test 2 (stage2) 45 mins)) The board have requested to raise an additional £400k from £100k spend. Create a marketing plan which allows us to test new activity (not existing channels).   Answer Question

Country Support Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at British Red Cross (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

I did the application online and they wrote back to me within a couple of days inviting me for a one one interview. When i arrived i had to complete a finance test, which was simple enough had Excel been working correctly. The dated IBM computer was slow and therefore had problems with completing the whole test. Other than that, i think the interview was fine and the people who interviewed me were very pleasant.

Senior Community Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at British Red Cross (Inverness, Scotland (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Online application followed by interview where I was to complete two scenario based questions (15mins provided) then completed a 5min presentation and then interview questions.

It felt very much like all the information provided in the application wasn't even read or taken on board as all of the questions were very basic and common sense and I felt like I had repeated myself so many times. When it came to the presentation, the panel seemed completely surprised that I brought along some supporting documentation for them to look at while I did the presentation! One panel member clearly had no interest in the whole process, was rude multiple times and couldnt wait to leave - quickly threw on her jacket as I was about to leave the room. The one question I had for them about what its like working for BRC they couldn't even answer which made me feel like it wasn't the right place for me.

No follow up or feedback provided since the interview which is very disappointing considering the Red Cross need all the support they can get. I'm unlikely to do any volunteering with them now either.

Interview Questions

• How do you like to be managed?   1 Answer
    • You receive a cheque in the post for £5000. What do you do?   1 Answer

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at British Red Cross (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

The information before the interview was clear. I was invited to the interview within 2 days from the deadline. I was interviewed by panel made of 2. There was also a writing test after the interview. The interviewees were very friendly. The questions weren't very challenging and mainly from the job spec

Unspecified Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at British Red Cross in November 2014.

Interview

Most of the staff appeared to be relaxed at the time I had a good impression of the company at the time. It was a relaxing atmosphere. Interview seemed like a standard, competency based interview. Unfortunately some companies don't get back to you, even after an interview. I felt that this company would be different, based on their values and what they do. No response even though I was told would hear back from someone by a certain time. Since they weren't courteous enough to adhere to what they told me, it certainly changed my impression of the company, especially since I took time off to attend.

Major Donor Team Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at British Red Cross (London, England (UK)) in December 2012.

Interview

I filled in an online application form and then was called, fairly short notice, requesting me to come for an interview.
    When I went to the London HQ I was interviewed by two really friendly young women who really made me feel at ease. They both introduced themselves and their roles and explained what the intern position would involve. The questions they asked were all completely relevant to the position and no unexpected questions - I definitely felt they were genuine and not trying to trip me up like I have done with other interviewers in the past.
    I then had to complete a 40 minute writing task, which comprised writing a thank-you letter to a recent donor, using a case study document as something on which to base my letter.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They were very flexible on negotiating the days I could work and were happy to accept that I would not be able to commit to more than 3 days per week as this was not a paid position, and therefore I had to have some time to earn some money too.

Regional Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at British Red Cross in October 2011.

Interview

standard competency based question along with a required presentation piece (15mins) around the expectation of a Regional Manager. This was conducted by two members of the senior management team and a member of HR.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you would overcome some of the major issues (provided example) within this role?   Answer Question

Shop Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at British Red Cross in April 2009.

Interview

There were three interviewers: the area manager, a reserve manager, and the assistant manager for the shop where I'd applied to manage. The area manager asked 3 or 4 questions, then the other two asked a couple of questions each. The area manager then spoke a bit about the shop and the role, and what would be expected. They then asked if there were any questions I had.

Overall, the questions were fairly straight forward. How would you increase sales? What would you do if your store was suffering losses to make up the deficit? It is a normal working day, tell me how you would run the shop? What things would you do?

It was a fairly relaxed atmosphere, and they were all very friendly.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a volunteer wasn't performing?   Answer Question
    • In a typical day, what would be your priorities for the shop?   Answer Question