Broadcom

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Broadcom in June 2013.

Interview Details – got referred by a friend. The Director interviewed on the phone for about an hour. Mostly about school projects and C++ questions. Then there was the onsite interview for about 4 hours. Each interviewer interviewed for about 45 min. Asked questions about FIFO, school projects, C++, Verilog, Perl.

Interview Question – Just some C++basics since I had not prepared C++ at all. Arrays and pass by reference and value.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no Negotiation, since it was my first internship

San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Broadcom in March 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview. Email me first to schedule a phone interview time.

Interview Question – Power dissipation. Clk design. Logic desig   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Broadcom in June 2012.

Interview Details – Got a phone interview thru linkedin, had one phone interview and than onsite at Irvine. The phone interview was based on resume and few computer architecture questions based on 5 stage pipeline,cache and virtual memory. onsite was based on verilog programming and c++

Interview Question – They asked me about data structure   Answer Question

Chennai (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Broadcom in August 2013.

Interview Details – Initial written round followed by 3 rounds of technical interview. Each round takes about 45mins and each will focus on a different area.

Interview Question – I was not prepared for questions from digital logic design. But there were questions in digital logic design   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied online and interviewed at Broadcom.

Interview Details – First, there was a phone screening interview, which included questions based on resume, computer architecture and memories. The second and third telephonic interview were on computer architecture, mainly focusing on through put , pipe lining , pipe lining hazards, branch prediction ,cache L1,L2 verilog implementation of state machines etc
The interviewer gave ample time for answering and even had numerical solved

Interview Question – question on branch prediction buffers   Answer Question

IC Design Engineer
Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Broadcom.

Interview Details – written technical test followed by a technical interview with senior designers

Interview Question – there a few tricky technical questions,   Answer Question

IC Design Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Broadcom in July 2012.

Interview Details – Broadcom questions:
The first round- written test:
For hardware division of broadcom, the written test was divided into 4 sections: general aptitude, 2 sections on electronics and communication, and a section on software.
General Aptitude:
Few questions that came are as below:
1. There is a drawer with 20 pairs of socks, 10 black and 10 white. All black socks n white socks are identical. What is the minimum no: of socks a person has to take out to ensure that there is a pair of matching socks?
2. Make 100 with six 9’s.
3. If the probability of seeing a car on a deserted road in 30 mts is 96%, what is the probability of seeing a car in 15 mts on the same road?
4. There is a 4 digit number PQRS. PQRS * 9 = SRQP (digits r interchanged.) Identify the number PQRS.
(Go through typical puzzles in google. That should be sufficient for this section.)
Electronics and Communication Sections:
I don’t remember the questions exactly, but the questions were based on Logic Design, Digital Integrated circuits and Digital communication.

Software:
Some codes were given and outputs were to be predicted. Was based on C.

Interviews:
There were 3 interviews, each of about half an hour duration.
1. Core Tech Interview: Questions on Digital, analog electronics and microprocessors were asked. If you are electrical they might ask you on Induction machines, inverters also along with the above topics. All questions focus on the basics only (no hifi tronics stuff, but u need to be really really clear about your subject basics.)
Eg:
a. Draw an Inverting amplifier.
 b. Exchange it’s +ve n –ve terminals. What is this new ckt??
 c. Draw the waveform when a sinusoidal i/p is given to it.

Explain the concept of virtual short in op amp.

Some i/p and a corresponding o/p will b given(both digital). Design a logic ckt using flip flops, logic gates etc. to get the o/p from the given i/p. (Many questions of this format were asked. The answers were simple ckts only. But v need to think logically)

Microprocessor basics (eg: describe different pins, function of ALE etc.)

2. Tech interview based on projects you have done.

I was asked about all the projects I had done. The concepts involved in each were asked in detail. So be thorough with your project reports. Give special importance to block diagrams/ flow charts.

3. HR interview: This one is simple. Nothing much was asked. Just where you are from, ur hobbies etc. They will tell you about different career options you have.

Yup, that is pretty much it I guess... All the best ?

Interview Question – no   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no nego.

Interviewed at Broadcom

Interview Details – first round dealt on puzzles,communication,c language and digital design....no negative marking......second round based mostly on dsp and vlsi design....time factor is great difficulty in first round.......

Interview Question – why reset is given '1' as input?   Answer Question

IC Design Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Broadcom in September 2011.

Interview Details – Asked a lot of basic questions over a broad range things listed on resume. Asked about details on programming languages.

Interview Question – Describe your last design   Answer Question

IC Design Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Broadcom in January 2011.

Interview Details – Interesting questions. Involved IC design and digital logic/flip flop questions. Was also asked few puzzles

Interview Question – What is setup time and hold time (simple)? Other complicated timing questions were asked   Answer Question

Worked for Broadcom? Contribute to the Community!