Broadcom

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Principal Engineer Interview

Principal Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Broadcom.

Interview Details – I applied for a job through the company website. I had a phone interview, then was invited to an on-site interview. They were very polite, but the process was very formal and serious. The interviewers were extremely smart from a technical standpoint, and asked very difficult technical questions - mostly about my background and detailed textbook questions. They were definitely looking for the brightest engineers they could find. They gave me a good offer. On my first day of work, someone told me congratulations and that I must be someone special to be hired by Broadcom.

Interview Question – During the interview I was asked a question about binary search algorithms (tree data structures). I.e. how would you search through a tree data structure to sort data?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was very reasonable. I did not negotiate a higher offer due to the weak state of the job market at the time.

Software Staff Engineer Interview

Software Staff Engineer
San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Broadcom in June 2010.

Interview Details – Had initial phone screen back in June 2007. This was for their MPS division which works on cellular chipsets i.e. GSM/UMTS. Was invited to onsite interview. Had 4-5 interviews, all technical in nature. There was a written test as well with C programming questions. Was asked general questions about UMTS technology. Received offer and accepted.

Interview Question – How does the debugger work when setting a break point if it's a multi processor environment?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Broadcom in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through referral. Recruiter contacted and scheduled two back-to-back phone interview in the following week. Mix of probability and algorithm questions. There was no onsite interview. Overall process was smooth and quick. Interviewers were friendly.

Interview Question – Generate numbers from a linked list randomly   Answer Question

Staff IC Design Engineer Interview

Staff IC Design Engineer

Interviewed at Broadcom

Interview Details – Applied by internal referral. One phone interview and one on-site interview. The whole process takes two weeks. Phone interview covers basic analog and digital circuit knowledge, lasting for 1 hour. On-site interview was in Broadcom Irvine with 6 managers and 1 hiring coordinator, lasting for 6.5 hours. The interview process with each manager was introducing my past project and solving analog/RF circuits. The interview process with the hiring coordinator was about the employee benefit (promotion opportunity, stock compensation, etc).

Interview Question – The on-site interview is mainly solving circuits. There are questions whose answers are not obvious, including mismatch contributors and fix in two-stage op-amp, limit of intrinsic gain for common-source amplifier. But managers gave hints that helped me through all the questions.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Broadcom in December 2010.

Interview Details – Hiring process was straightforward with 2 phone interviews for the intern position.
30 minutes each from 2 engineers in the team.
Once cleared, HR will contact you.
No negotiation of salary
Start date can be negotiated by a week

Interview Question – Mostly it was logical questions and basics of CDMA and testing.
Questions about previous experience.
Questions about the courses you have taken during your masters
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation

Senior Staff Applications Software Engineer Interview

Senior Staff Applications Software Engineer
San Diego, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Broadcom in August 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screen interview, 2 rounds of in-office interview.
Very positive atmosphere, speaking with hiring manager and other engineers provides the full picture of the project and work environment.
Great new-hire orientation provided by professional HR personal, excellent on-time communication and pretty good offer signing bonus.
Great promotion benefits along with medical and other benefits.

Interview Question – SW process development diagram   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Staff Software Engineer Interview

Senior Staff Software Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Broadcom.

Interview Details – Interview was casual and not very formal. I talked to 6 engineers and the manager. They did not ask a lot of technical questions but wanted to understand my working style. They focus more upon the teamwork spirits and the problem solving capability instead of the real technical details.

Interview Question – Some C++ details which I had a disagreement with one of the interviewers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had a phone conversation with the recruiter and that settle it. I did not ask too much.

Very Easy Interview

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Principal Software Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Broadcom in April 2014.

Interview Details – They interviewed me and then never bothered to email or call me either way. I did not appreciate that. I made alot of effort to prepare and attend interview and traveled far to attend it, and felt the interview went well, so to not have heard from them in ANY way whatsoever afterwards was a mild annoyance.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. ARM, Linux device drivers, white board coding.   Answer Question

Intern-Serdes Test Interview

Intern-Serdes Test

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Broadcom in July 2013.

Interview Details – Two interviews. The first one was held by the manager, introducing the lab and instruments. After 2 or 3 days, the second interview includes 5 interviewers, asking about the basic circuit questions, filter, Fourier Transform, transmission line theory and some resume related questions.

Interview Question – No unusual questions asked.   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I interviewed at Broadcom in March 2013.

Interview Details – 2 Telephone Interview. 1 face to face interview. Was interviewed by 7 persons. Covered all the topics from rtl to sta. They covered all the topics from verilog, rtl to sta. There were also some design compiler questions. Got my reply within 3 days after my interview.

Interview Question – some really good questions about my project   Answer Question

Worked for Broadcom? Contribute to the Community!