Broadcom

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Getting the Interview

315 candidate interviews

Engineering Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Broadcom in May 2009.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of a talk and a test. I did not pass the test so there was no second interview. If I had passed the second interview and test, I would have been flown to California for a third and final interview before a decision was made about whether to hire me or not. If I had been offered the job, I would have been forced to work a six-day week.

Interview Question – Why is common collector configuration not used for amplifier?   View Answer

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Staff Software Engineer
San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Broadcom in August 2009.

Interview Details – The position was in DSP group. Here are the questions
1. Difference between FIR and IIR filters
2. How to tell if an IIR filter is stable given a system's transfer function
3. Noise suppression, signal fidelity
4. DSP processor architectureb
5. GIven a C cross compilable code, Do you expect any difference in the output of ARM and DSP. Why

Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Broadcom in July 2008.

Interview Details – For the first time, phone interview by the HR recruiter for about haft an hour. After pass the HR interview the hire manager will call and interview again on the phone to see if the candidate fix for the job. If the second phone call pass then the HR will set up for in person interview with the group for another 4 people in the group.

Principal Systems Engineer Interview

Principal Systems Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Broadcom in November 2011.

Interview Details – The written test had three sections- general Mathematics, Communication Systems and C. The test was of very high standards. One has to be familiar with probability and Expectations. Practice with Fourier transforms, Estimation theory, Random variables and wireless communication( MIMO, OFDM, PAM etc ) is a must.

HRIS Interview

Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Broadcom in March 2012.

Interview Details – Initial phone screening through recruiter which lead to a FOUR hour interview and they didn't feed me even! First met with benefits person who has some interaction with this position, then a global HR person who little to nothing to add to the interview, after that met with recruiter, followed by panel of direct co-workers who only allowed me 5 minutes to ask questions back. After I was beat down they finally bring in the hiring manager. Seriously I was starting to expect water boarding to happen next. I had read prior reviews of the lengthy reviews and they were not joking.

Interview Questions

• Asked the usual BS questions, why do you want to work here, tell me about a challenge, blah blah.   Answer Question
  • Tested my kung fu MS Excel skills. How would you add a formula to a pivot chart?   Answer Question

Engineer
Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Broadcom in July 2010.

Interview Details – One day interview, several engineers, 45m-1hr each

Interview Question – What is mean time before failure   View Answer

Analog Design Intern Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Broadcom.

Interview Details – The interview process was fairly straightforward but thorough. One phone interview and then on site interview. Phone interview consisted of 8 questions of moderate difficulty on basic single stage amplifiers and step responses. On site interview was pretty intense from 9am to 3:15pm with 6 people not including HR. Questions included current mirrors (matching and sizing), basic PLL (stability), switched capacitor circuits(noise), ADC basics (aliasing, transfer functions), feedback (output impedance), OTA structures (slew rate, bandwidth), supply independent biasing etc. A good preparation textbook is "Design of Analog CMOS Integrated Circuits by Behzad Razavi" and most of the questions had a form similar to end of chapter exercises and examples.

Interview Question – Question about the integrated output noise due to switches in the feedback capacitor bank in a switched capacitor gain circuit.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Internship

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Broadcom.

Interview Details – Phone interview from a senior engineering for one hour, asking questions regarding the resume and some basic circuit knowledge. One week later, an on-site interview for three hours.

Interview Question – For a single balanced Gilbert mixer, analysis LO leakage to output.   Answer Question

IC Design Engineer Interview

IC Design Engineer
Bangalore (India)

I applied online and interviewed at Broadcom.

Interview Details – First, there was a phone screening interview, which included questions based on resume, computer architecture and memories. The second and third telephonic interview were on computer architecture, mainly focusing on through put , pipe lining , pipe lining hazards, branch prediction ,cache L1,L2 verilog implementation of state machines etc
The interviewer gave ample time for answering and even had numerical solved

Interview Question – question on branch prediction buffers   Answer Question

Engineer
Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Broadcom in April 2012.

Interview Details – 1:1 interview

Interview Question – lot circuits and vlsi related question , c ,aps   View Answer

Negotiation Details – fixed salary

Interviews for Top Jobs at Broadcom

Worked for Broadcom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Broadcom interview questions and advice. All 315 interview reviews posted anonymously by Broadcom employees and interview candidates.