Broadcom

Updated Feb 9, 2015
Updated Feb 9, 2015

3.1

Engineering Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Broadcom in May 2009.

The interview consisted of a talk and a test. I did not pass the test so there was no second interview. If I had passed the second interview and test, I would have been flown to California for a third and final interview before a decision was made about whether to hire me or not. If I had been offered the job, I would have been forced to work a six-day week.

Interview Questions
    • Why is common collector configuration not used for amplifier?   View Answer

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Broadcom in August 2009.

The position was in DSP group. Here are the questions
    1. Difference between FIR and IIR filters
    2. How to tell if an IIR filter is stable given a system's transfer function
    3. Noise suppression, signal fidelity
    4. DSP processor architectureb
    5. GIven a C cross compilable code, Do you expect any difference in the output of ARM and DSP. Why

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Broadcom in July 2008.

For the first time, phone interview by the HR recruiter for about haft an hour. After pass the HR interview the hire manager will call and interview again on the phone to see if the candidate fix for the job. If the second phone call pass then the HR will set up for in person interview with the group for another 4 people in the group.

Principal Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Broadcom in November 2011.

The written test had three sections- general Mathematics, Communication Systems and C. The test was of very high standards. One has to be familiar with probability and Expectations. Practice with Fourier transforms, Estimation theory, Random variables and wireless communication( MIMO, OFDM, PAM etc ) is a must.

Interview Questions
    • If an N point DFT X[z] is sub sampled by 2 to Y[z], what is y[n]   Answer Question
    • Given E[XY] and E[X], derive MMSE estimate for Y   Answer Question

HRIS Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Broadcom in March 2012.

Initial phone screening through recruiter which lead to a FOUR hour interview and they didn't feed me even! First met with benefits person who has some interaction with this position, then a global HR person who little to nothing to add to the interview, after that met with recruiter, followed by panel of direct co-workers who only allowed me 5 minutes to ask questions back. After I was beat down they finally bring in the hiring manager. Seriously I was starting to expect water boarding to happen next. I had read prior reviews of the lengthy reviews and they were not joking.

Interview Questions
    • Asked the usual BS questions, why do you want to work here, tell me about a challenge, blah blah.   Answer Question
    • Tested my kung fu MS Excel skills. How would you add a formula to a pivot chart?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Broadcom in July 2010.

One day interview, several engineers, 45m-1hr each

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Broadcom in June 2014.

Hiring process started with a phone asked all your details. Then in one week got a call for face-to-face. The interview is completely on C. Until they feel you are really good in C, then dont ask about other skills, like linux etc. Their main focus is on C.
    There are many pdf's available online like "crack the interview" etc. Make sure you have prepared or recalled the thingsin C. They are very good that they will ask you to come for one more interview on C if they feel you are nervous and couldnt answer the questions. Company is good. Saw ppl going here and there with laptops and boards, discussing only about work while sitting there for the interview to start.

Interview Questions
    • Datastructure implimentation like linked lists, binary search etc   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Broadcom.

I applied for a job through the company website. I had a phone interview, then was invited to an on-site interview. They were very polite, but the process was very formal and serious. The interviewers were extremely smart from a technical standpoint, and asked very difficult technical questions - mostly about my background and detailed textbook questions. They were definitely looking for the brightest engineers they could find. They gave me a good offer. On my first day of work, someone told me congratulations and that I must be someone special to be hired by Broadcom.

Interview Questions
    • During the interview I was asked a question about binary search algorithms (tree data structures). I.e. how would you search through a tree data structure to sort data?   Answer Question
    The offer was very reasonable. I did not negotiate a higher offer due to the weak state of the job market at the time.

Graduate Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Broadcom in July 2013.

I applied through Braodcom Online Application process with an employee referral. I was asked to be interviewed directly at their Manchester office. I also had to provide a presentation on my Msc project. At first I was interviewd by the HR which included general questions. Then I was interview by two different panel, one focused on programming/codin in C, System verilog and another about basic digital deigning exercise.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mysore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mysore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Broadcom in August 2013.

Basically i was hired from college. 1 written round, 3 f2f interviews. Basics of OS, strong hold in 'c' programming, computer architecture, bit manipulation, bit of OOPS, and bit of linux.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing as such if you're prepared. They expect knowledge in depth.   Answer Question