Broadcom Interview Questions

Updated Oct 7, 2014
Updated Oct 7, 2014

3.1

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Broadcom in May 2014.

I had a telephonic interview.The interview lasted for only 15 minutes and i was asked to explain my projects during the first 5 minutes. Then I was asked questions related to VLSI->> 'the ratio of pmos to nmos in cmos inverters' and also the design procedures of current mirrors using mosfets.Then some questions on basic digital.But be thorough with what is in your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Ratio of pmos to Nmos in Cmos inverters for equal rise and fall time?   Answer Question

Digital Communication Systems Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Broadcom in February 2014.

I get an phone interview, mostly about some knowledge of communication system, including the relationship between inteference, phase offset and constellation map. And I get an on-site interview after one week. Most of the question is about C++, include memory allocation, binary tree and operator overloading.

Interview Questions
    • A engineer asked me. What is the difference between RLS adaptive filter and gradient descent filter. At which situation you should use gradient descent filter.   View Answer

Principal Software Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Broadcom in March 2013.

Referred by a friend and get recruiter within a week. mostly C/C++ questions like array of function pointers, return of (p++) etc. One algorithm question asked was "write a function to reverse a string".

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Broadcom in June 2013.

I interviewed at Broadcom in Irvine for IC Test Engineer - Intern position. The interview consisted of 5 people interviewing me back to back for half an hour each. I believe this was a very last minute position they had to fill up fast so they were really unorganized. They all asked me same questions back to back. They were also all over the place. Eventhough the position was for IC - CMOS Test Engineering, they were asking me control systems questions!

Interview Questions
    • what is the difference between the left hand rule and the right hand rule in magnetics?   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Broadcom in August 2014.

Asked about my background and 4 programming questions.
    In one of the questions I was given a financial graph which shows a stock's price which changes in time, and I had to write a method that finds the highest difference of price in the graph.

Interview Questions
    • I answered the graph question and then I was asked to do it with a better complexity.   Answer Question

Applications Software Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Broadcom in June 2014.

On-site interview was arranged through university co-op office. Interview was approximately 1 hour long and consisted of a short discussion of my studies and then answering programming problems on a white board. One of the questions involved implementing atoi() and the other involved using a queue to solve a particular problem.

Interview Questions
    • The second coding question, while not involving difficult concepts, was poorly contrived and the interviewer was not very responsive to my attempts to clarify the details of the problem.   Answer Question

Business Systems Analyst, Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Broadcom in January 2013.

Multiple rounds of thorough interview process with leadership and peers. Technical skills, people skills, interpersonal and communication skills were examined closely. All skills in the advertised open positions were considered during interview process..

above expectation

Software Engineer I Interview

There was only one interview at first. There there was a manager and a senior engineer who briefly went over my resume and asked me about my past work experience such as what I did what was my role and etc. The interview probably lasted for about 2 hours or so and then HR contacted me and got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty straightforward. They asked about object oriented programming questions such as what is polymorphism in C++.   View Answer

Senior Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Broadcom in March 2013.

Applied online and got a request for a phone interview after a little over two weeks. The phone interview was technical, and asked to send him some C code that implemented the usual linked list operations (insertion, deletion). Also asked about my experience in wireless (BTW this was for a embedded wireless firmware job, for which the business doesn't exist anymore).

The on-site was done a week later, which is faster than normal (usually they're 2 weeks after the phone interview). About 6 people interviewed me, each an hour long. The schedule was a little dynamic since they were busy, so some scheduled interviewers were replaced by other engineers who were last-minute substitutions. This can rub some people the wrong way, as it can give a bad picture of the organization of the group, but if you take it in stride then you realize that it just gave you a picture of how hectic the group is at the moment, so you can take advantage of the situation by saying how good you are under stress :).

Interviews were all in-depth technical questions; no behavioral questions other than the first one with HR. Two gave me embedded C questions (what is volatile, what is static, describe characteristics of an RTOS, how do you set bits in an int). One gave me a brain teaser (the one where a bird flies between two oncoming trains, and calculate how far the bird flew). One asked me questions about wireless protocols (WCDMA, LTE), how does initial access work, what are the control channels, what information was in each control channel, etc. All of them looked at the resume (as if it was their first time!) and asked questions about the work I did, and to describe it to them. This is fair game; if it's on your resume, you'd better be able to defend that you did good work and were at one time an expert on it!

The last one was the hiring manager, who gave me a mathematical question and asked me to solve it. He walked out after five minutes, then came back and asked if I had the answer. I did not, but explained my plan of attack to give him a sense that I wasn't stumped, just trying different ways to solve it. I eventually did, but I was upset with myself that I didn't get it right away. He explained that he wanted to see how I did under pressure, and emphasized that the job will be stressful at times.

Interview Questions
    • Two trains are traveling towards each other at a certain closing speed and initial distance between them. A bird at another speed is flying from one train to another, turning around every time it reaches a train. How far does the bird fly before the trains collide?   View Answer
    The recruiter asked me what my present salary and bonus was (what unvested bonuses would I be giving up?), and one counter-offer was presented and basically met halfway.

No negotiation on the relocation package. I moved from the east coast, so it was a fairly costly move. For my package, only half the closing costs of my house were covered, and there was a cap on moving expenses and another separate cap for real-estate related expenses. If you have a long/big move, you will exceed that cap, so take this into account because you may incur substantial costs in relocation that you may not recover from even with future bonuses.

ASIC Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Broadcom in August 2014.

45 minutes talking, only ask me about my background and make me explain my projects. During the explanation, ask me several questions about design skills, i have capability to most of them. However, the Interviewer seems disappointed once he heard that i don't know about post silicon validation, they after several days, he told me that my background might not be a good fit to the skill sets expected of their open position. And they will not proceed with the next interviewing step.