Broadcom Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

3.1

Senior Staff Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The hiring manager called directly for a phone interview and then had the HR schedule an onsite interview. Had the onsite in two weeks but took four weeks before hearing back about the offer.

ASIC Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Broadcom (San Jose, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

45 minutes talking, only ask me about my background and make me explain my projects. During the explanation, ask me several questions about design skills, i have capability to most of them. However, the Interviewer seems disappointed once he heard that i don't know about post silicon validation, they after several days, he told me that my background might not be a good fit to the skill sets expected of their open position. And they will not proceed with the next interviewing step.

Interview Questions

• Only needs typical skills.   1 Answer

Principal Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Broadcom.

Interview

I applied for a job through the company website. I had a phone interview, then was invited to an on-site interview. They were very polite, but the process was very formal and serious. The interviewers were extremely smart from a technical standpoint, and asked very difficult technical questions - mostly about my background and detailed textbook questions. They were definitely looking for the brightest engineers they could find. They gave me a good offer. On my first day of work, someone told me congratulations and that I must be someone special to be hired by Broadcom.

Interview Questions

• During the interview I was asked a question about binary search algorithms (tree data structures). I.e. how would you search through a tree data structure to sort data?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was very reasonable. I did not negotiate a higher offer due to the weak state of the job market at the time.

Interview

Applied by internal referral. One phone interview and one on-site interview. The whole process takes two weeks. Phone interview covers basic analog and digital circuit knowledge, lasting for 1 hour. On-site interview was in Broadcom Irvine with 6 managers and 1 hiring coordinator, lasting for 6.5 hours. The interview process with each manager was introducing my past project and solving analog/RF circuits. The interview process with the hiring coordinator was about the employee benefit (promotion opportunity, stock compensation, etc).

Interview Questions

• The on-site interview is mainly solving circuits. There are questions whose answers are not obvious, including mismatch contributors and fix in two-stage op-amp, limit of intrinsic gain for common-source amplifier. But managers gave hints that helped me through all the questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Broadcom (San Diego, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by email with basic questions about my availability. Then I was Phone interviewed and asked basic logic question like bitwise operation on numbers. Last was on site interview. It was kind of informal about what I had did early mostly my projects. I was interviewd by my manager and 3 other engineers.

Negotiation

I didn't negotitate

Senior Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Broadcom (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Interview was casual and not very formal. I talked to 6 engineers and the manager. They did not ask a lot of technical questions but wanted to understand my working style. They focus more upon the teamwork spirits and the problem solving capability instead of the real technical details.

Interview Questions

• Some C++ details which I had a disagreement with one of the interviewers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had a phone conversation with the recruiter and that settle it. I did not ask too much.

Staff DSP IC Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Broadcom (Irvine, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Interviewed over the phone by team manager. First he described his team's job and goals, and then ask me if I had any questions related to the work.Then he asked some standard technical questions, only circuit related questions are setup and hold time. Most are DSP questions like difference between FIR and IIR, Nyquist frequency, aliasing etc. Last about 30-45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Thought it would be mostly circuit related questions but instead it was heavy on DSP. Questions are basic, was able to answer most of them.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Broadcom (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Telephonic Round: Manager called and asked about my previous projects and what I was studying in that semester.
    After this I have 3 rounds for about 45 min each
    1st: Manager asked questions related to MySQL, my academic projects and work experience.
    2nd: Questions related to MySQL, Perl (How to fetch data from text files and generate report)
    3rd: Team Lead interviewed me. Questions on Core Java, Data Structures and Algorithms (Basic not in depth), Php and HTML etc. Gave his laptop and asked to write some code for 4-5 questions(includes java, php and HTML,MySQL)

Interview Questions

• 1) Asked to implement a Stack
      2) Asked to pull data from database and represent the data in line graph

1 Answer

Consulting Tools Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Broadcom in June 2014.

Interview

Lead from contract vendor. phone screen and a Skype call. Offer came without onsite. Initial phone call with Sr Manager and then a group with team architect and Lead Process. Looking back it was a team with a need and I seem to fit in. There was an extended time due to Vendor approval for recruiter, but that was done behind scenes.

Interview Questions

• Focus on background and similar skills   1 Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Broadcom (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Process took two weeks
    phone interview tested the basics of networking
    Onsite interviews tested my networking and programming skills along with my linux skills
    Interview was good. 4 rounds of interview and took thirty - fourty minutes each