Broadcom

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Matawan, NJ

The process took a day - interviewed at Broadcom in June 2012.

Interview Details – Questions on resume, projects done and basics of C and C++

Interview Question – Question on allocating memory pointers inside a function. A pointer variable is passed as a parameter to a function. Memory allocation is done inside the function for the pointer using malloc. After coming out of the function, will the pointer still retain this address in the main program?   View Answer

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Broadcom in January 2008.

Interview Details – The interviews were over 2 days, 8 hours at both Irvine (day1) and San Diego (day2). I interviewed for multiple compatible positions and at the end of the day was asked to select one, so I knew it was positive. The process itself was a little disorganized. The interview content ranged from highly detailed and technical discussions of past projects, to casual scenario approaches to "getting to know you" types. Since the experience of the various engineers was wide (RF, HW, systems, FW and also SW), I was asked different types of questions. It it understood you might not know everything in those domains in complete detail but they test both your width as well as depth of knowledge - not to mention how to deal when you don't know the answers (which is bound to happen at some point).

Interview Question – - Questions on some basic on embedded microprocessors
- Questions on basic ARM assembly
- Asked to write an ARM assembly program (on whiteboard) which compared two sections of memory and returned if they were identical or not
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – They were unwilling to negotiate the vacation.

When negotiating, you'll be better off if you can quantitatively why you are demanding the figure you are demanding (eg "my options to be vested are worth xyz and I'd like that compensated"). Remember, Broadcom aims to pay top quartile (top 25% of industry), so an industry "average" (=50% mark) doesn't matter.

Staff Engineer
Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Broadcom.

Interview Details – Initial meet and greet, followed by an hours telephone interview (technical), followed several weeks later by a full day one on one technical interview face to face.

Interview Question – Bit shifting and algorithms.   Answer Question

Worked for Broadcom? Contribute to the Community!