Brocade Communications

Updated Jan 16, 2015
Updated Jan 16, 2015

3.2

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Brocade Communications in January 2013.

Got a call from campus recruiter to set up a phone interview with an engineer. I spoke with the engineer 3 days afterwards. He asked very basic RLC circuit, TCP/IP, Transformer question that you most definitely have to get right, in order to move to the next round.

Two weeks later, I was selected as 1 of 4 interviewees for the final round interview at San Jose headquarter. The interviewing engineer said he chose me because I added him on Linkedin.... not the reason I was expecting for being chosen, but works for me. The final round interview consists of 6 one-on-one interviews with 2 hiring manager, engineers, and senior engineers.

It was basically all behavior questions, with some engineers asking very in depth details of the projects you have done in the past. It was not terribly hard. One interviewer was kind enough to hint to me that it was the hiring manager that I needed to impress in order to get hired. But throughout my conversation with the manager, I just got a bad vibe that he did not like me for some obscure reasons. I tried to be very friendly and asked a lot of working environment and technologies questions, and he appeared very disinterested in answering me.

3 business days later I received an email that I did not get the position. The whole process was very smooth and welcoming. Their headquarter was very modern and people looked energetic and smart. I just go unlucky with impressing the hiring manager, so I couldn't pull through. The overall experience was a positive one.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult but here are the technical questions
      1. Difference between TCP and UDP
      2. Series and parallel R, L and C representation
      3. Difference between IPv4, and IPv6
      4. Equation for Transformers in AC and DC
      5. Simple C/C++ syntax questions regarding loops and conditions

Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Brocade Communications in November 2012.

Usually, recruiter contacts you for a mtching position. If the skill set matches, the phone interview happens for initial screeningfor 20-30 minutes. Once that goes fine, you are called for an onsite interview which is quite detailed and thorough. It is 4-5 hours process in which 4- 5 come one by one and ask you technical questions related to the requirement.

Interview Questions
    • In my case, it was QA job in server load balancing in L4-L7 area, so many questions were asked about the TCP/IP stack.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Brocade Communications in September 2012.

excellent -- organized and responsive

no negotiation

Senior Manager, Advertising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Brocade Communications in August 2012.

Process moved very quickly. Initial phone interview lasted about 25 minutes, then I was scheduled to meet with the Director of Adv/Media, Brand manager, and the Sr. Director within 4 days. Each interview lasted 45 minutes. Second round of interviews occurred 3 days later with the Mktg CMO and lasted 45 minutes. Campus is beautiful, people were very friendly and kind, organized, and interviews were insightful. Waiting for written offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Went over skill set, expectations, challenges within company.   View Answer
    has not occurred yet

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Brocade Communications.

Responded to listing back in early June. Received automated thank you. Did not hear anything until July. Recruiter called to say liked my resume, set up call with hiring manager. Manager started off the conversation by letting me know why it was so long until they reached out. They had done full first round of interviews, but no ideal candidates came out of that, so they went back to resumes again - and I am first one they called out of that batch. I really appreciated knowing this off the bat. Going in for formal interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Hiring Manager did most of the talking, so nothing too difficult yet   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Brocade Communications in June 2012.

The interview was for a developer position in the switch group. Contacted by internal recruiter. Initial phone screen with the hiring manager. Interview was non-technical, pretty straight forward, simple questions (what I did in my current job, what I know, what I want to do, etc). Was invited for a face-to-face interview at the company site. Interview questions consisted of protocol knowledge, and some c-interview questions (queues, locks, etc), not too difficult ones. As for the members of the team, I did not get a warm feeling from most of them, no "get to know you" talk, hardly any smiles, very dry and non-personal. Did not sense any excitement from them about their job or technology. Maybe because most of them has been there 8+ yrs.

I was told by the hiring manger she/Brocade would get back to me within a few days with a decision. Lets just say, I sent a few emails (to recruiter and hiring manger), left voice mails, finally heard back from them after three weeks. Status - the hiring manger is still looking at other candidates and would get back to me "soon" and thanked me for my patience. Btw, this is week four. :) I think I should take the hint by now. lol.

To recap, I was very disappointed with the whole interview process. Did not get opportunity to get to know member of team on a personal level.

Interview Questions
    • Basic question about stacks, queues, multi-core programing, FC protocol basics (login related).   Answer Question

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Brocade Communications in May 2012.

This was the worst interview experience I've ever had. While the staff was nice enough in person, scheduling the interview and the aftermath was extremely frustrating. It took months of follow-up to finally get the interview after the initial phone screening. A lot of it stemmed from the hiring manager taking his sweet time about finally scheduling a date for me to come in a meet the team. I had considered the lead dead after they hadn't returned my calls (or emails) for over a month when a second recruiter called me and asked me to finally come in for my interview. It lasted for 2 hours and I met with 3 out of 4 team members who I was scheduled to talk with. The 4th person didn't even bother to show up, nor let the other team members know that. The interviewers talked for most of it and rarely asked me anything about myself. The only time I spoke of my experience was when I thought it was necessary to relate to the conversation.

Overall, I though the interview itself went well and the hiring manager even walked me out. He said that the next step would be to follow up with the recruiter in a week. The rest of the experience went as follows:

Contacted recruiter exactly one week after the interview
    Recruiter said they weren't ready yet and it would be a few days
    I followed up one week from them
    Same story
    The third time around, the recruiter seemed a bit annoyed and told me that she would definitely let me know if there was any news
    I wanted patiently for exactly 30 days before I contacted her again
    The recruiter said the job had been put on hold

So...that's it? The job was put on hold after all that? Come on. The least they could've done was send out a mass email to all the people who applied and essentially wasted hours of time from the Brocade managers and myself. Brocade, you need to do a better job. I have such a poor taste from this company from this experience and if I ever find myself as a potential customer of yours I will not consider your business.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Brocade Communications in April 2012.

Initial communication was with the HR, resulted in a phone call with questions on background and interest. Next step was a phone screening with the Hiring Manager after which was called in to interview on site. Had 7 rounds of 1:1 interviews, half an hour each. Was very well organized. The interviews were in depth and detailed, focus was on analytical and problem solving skills. Was given a campus tour, people in general seemed very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you faced an unfriendly client.   Answer Question

Sales Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Brocade Communications in February 2012.

Received a call from HR, who did a quick phone interview and then informed me they would send me an email with interview details. I received an email 3-4 days later with the date of the interview. I then received another email the day before the interview with names of who I would be meeting with. The day of the interview, I had 2 in-person interviews and one phone interview. They were easy, normal interview questions and honestly the people interviewing did most of the talking. It seemed like they already had made a decision and were just going through the motions since the interview had been set up. I then received the generic thanks, but no thanks email from HR about a week or so later.

Interview Questions
    • Just asked standard interivew questions, nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Brocade Communications in February 2012.

Phone interview then in office interview with 3 of the managers. Overall an excellent interview process. Each of the 3 managers I interviewed with were extremely respectful and genuinely interested in learning about me rather than pressing me to see if I will crumble under pressure. I would recommend this company to anyone.