Brocade Communications

Interviewed at Brocade Communications

Interview Details – Called by recruiter went over resume

Reason for Declining – Received a better offer

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Brocade Communications in February 2010.

Interview Details – There was an initial phone interview with the hiring manager, which consisted of only technical Qs. Later there was an onsite interview with written coding round and five 1:1 interviews. Interviewers were team members with varying experience. Most Qs were technical networking related. The coding round consisted of 3 programming Qs with 1.5 hrs. There was no review of code after the interview. All in all it was a pleasant experience. Very disappointing that I could not get an offer.

Interview Questions

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Brocade Communications in February 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter from Brocade to set up a telephonic interview. The interview was relatively easy and consisted of questions on sockets, VLANs, TCP/IP, ARP. Then they asked about my projects, some operating systems concepts like difference between thread and process. Finally he concluded the interview saying he thinks I am suitable for a software engineer in test and not a software developer. Key point being not a single coding question asked yet he arrives at that conclusion.

Interview Question – What are VLAN's and how do they work?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brocade Communications.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me through one of the job portal, scheduled couple of technical interviews with US folks and India, and then face-to-face interview with hiring manager.

Interview Question – Interview went pretty OK, mainly on the current projects and challenges.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brocade Communications.

Interview Details – It was great, 3 rounds on same day and offer letter within a week.

Interview Question – Find if the program is moving up or down the stack, write the code.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Brocade Communications

Interview Details – First there was a written test. A number of technical, mainly from Clang, questions were asked. Then there were two coding questions, on an online compiler. One was easy, other was dynamic programming based. Interview was purely technical, based on algorithms and data structures.
Work atmosphere is fine, but you will have a lot of work to do.

Interview Question – How to print fibonacci numbers with log(n) complexity   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brocade Communications in September 2012.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview on sept 10, and 1:1 interview with 4 people on sept 21 which took 4.5 hrs,
then another round with senior hiring manager on sept 25.

Followed up with, they got back saying , offer is pending approvals and they will revert once they have approvals.
Dont know hat it means, having my fingers crossed.
I am having 2 other offers, and soon ready to put my papers. But waiting to hear the decision from Brocade before that.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected in programming. There was design question which I found hard to crack.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Brocade Communications.

Interview Details – A very smooth and well communicate and ,timely process. Hiring Manager was very reachable to the extent of explaining granular details of role and responsibility.

Interview Question – Why Brocade?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Initial offer was good and left no space for negotiation.

Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Brocade Communications in April 2012.

Interview Details – To begin with by the time I went for the 1:1 face to face interview I already had offers from Cisco and Juniper, however since I had committed to the interview I decided to go ahead for the experience.

20 minutes into the first round I realized that while to me it appeared that I was providing various alternatives to solving a problem the interviewer had a very specific solution in mind and all the encouragement was with the intent to nudge me to find the "right" solution.
I have a taken lot of interviews and its perfectly fine to proceed in this manner as long as the intent is to gauge how a person thinks but as it turns out all that mattered was the final solution. This happened repeatedly for different problems.

It got really funny when one of the interviewers wrote code with the standard problem of a C function returning a pointer to a local variable and printing it out in the caller. After pointing out what was wrong the question was whether the code would even compile to which I clearly replied that not only will it compile but also run. The interviewer refused to agree despite explaining why the compiler would consider it valid code and I don't think it was a way to get me to doubt myself, the interviewer really believed it :-D

It was very simple to get the interviewers to loose their cool by simply sticking to a proposed solution and defending it and having them insist it was not an optimized solution. Even better was to get them to explain their version of the "right" solution and then poking holes in it.

On the whole I had the feeling that the interviewers were more concerned about getting affirmations rather than finding out about the candidate's skills. So I know I will definitely not be a good fit in the company.

Interview Questions

• find and remove all duplicate instances of strings in a file.   View Answer
  • write function to generate a bit mask given a start bit position and number of bits   Answer Question
  • breadth first traversal of a binary tree   View Answer

Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Brocade Communications in April 2011.

Interview Details – Had a 1 hour phone interview followed by questia face to face interview. In face-to-face interview the questions were mostly on Linux internals kernel. All questions required thorough understanding of linux kernel. Next round consisted of algorithms and data structures. I could not get through to next round as the interviewer was not satisfied with my approach.

Interview Question – give a data structure and alogrithm to search for a string in a huge file   Answer Question

Worked for Brocade Communications? Contribute to the Community!