Bronto Software

Bronto Software Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

Account Development Representative Interview

They just blow smoke at you and promise you if you work hard you'll grow. Some of the people asked borderline questions and seemed rude. Very bizarre. Interesting in reading glass door and seeing it, you can actually see some of the things said here come through in the interview process. Thanks glass door.

Interview Questions
    • I think some of the people there are trying to throw you because the Senior people ask bizarre questions that border on illegal   Answer Question

Heard from others how they don't pay bonuses promised and about the politics plus base salary was lower than you can make at home depot.

Client Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Bronto Software in March 2014.

A corporate recruiter contacted me to do an initial phone screening, and was very nice. We just discussed my resume, salary requirements, etc. The next step was a phone interview (I was not local to Durham) with who would be my manager, and had about a 45 minute conversation. She was very forthcoming with details about the position and Bronto's culture, and we had a great discussion.

A few weeks later, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. The interview was actually comprised of three interviews, totaling 3 hours. I was greeted by my corporate recruiter, who took me on a tour of the offices, and then to a very small conference room for my first interview. I met with the position's managers, then two peers, and then the CEO. I thought it was great that the CEO wanted to take the time to talk with me, so I got some really good insight into the company. Everyone was very friendly and relaxed, and it felt more like a conversation than an interview.

Overall, it was a positive experience, except it did take them a very long time to make a decision after my interview. It was a new position, so they were still figuring out the job's scope, which understandably took a while. I was obviously anxious to hear, so that was the only frustrating part.

Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any odd questions like what song describes me (though I did prepare an answer!). Most difficult question wasn't a hard one for most people, but was, "What do you do outside of work to improve your career?" I believe they were looking for me to be attending networking groups, seminars, etc. outside of work hours, which I just don't do because of family reasons. So I think it's important to them that you're more than a 9-5 employee.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bronto Software.

Interview process started with an unexpected 'phone interview' then followed by an in-person interview. Overall process took almost two weeks.

In-person interview started off with a tour of the office then I was interviewed with two associates that I would be closely working with. Being interviewed by them was fine, I almost felt that I was having a conversation instead of the interview with them. The next portion of the interview involved the VP of Client Services and a Manager. It was great up until they started throwing me questions where they did not feel my answers were living up to their expectations. With one particular question they had asked me, the VP actually questioned my answer to the point where it felt like I was lying to them, as if I had given them a wrong answer. These questions were open-ended, there was no right or wrong answer to them. From that point on, the interview went downhill and lost my confidence. I have never been in an interview where I felt as close as being insulted because I did not answer a question 'right'. However, I acknowledged that there were questions that required you to think quickly on your feet, which I totally understand.

Overall, the interview left a bad taste in my mouth -- the VP of Client Services gave me a very bad vibe, honestly. The company seems to be living off of too much 'charity work' and seemed as if they had way too much time on their hands doing really 'fun activities'. When do they even have time to work? After the interview, I didn't feel like I would mesh well with environment. I have never felt relieved and somewhat happy in receiving news that I was not extended an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What superhero would you be and why?

What song would you choose that closely relates to your life.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bronto Software.

I applied for the Support Associate role through Bronto's website and was contacted via email requesting face to face interview. Once I confirmed the interview, an HR representative sent me a very clear interview schedule outlining who I would be meeting with and for how long, and where to go. This communication was very prompt. After arriving for my interview I was given a tour of the office space by an HR recruiter before the interview process began. I had three sessions of interviews that day, the first being with associates I would be working with directly, the second with the VP of Client Services and the hiring manager for my role, and the third a more informal Q & A wrap up with the recruiter. Everyone I met with was welcoming and polite. I felt as though everyone gave me a chance to speak and that the interview, although paced by questions, was more of a conversation. After my initial interview, I was contacted within about 48 hours with positive feedback about my interview and requesting a time to interview with the CEO. This second trip to Bronto was just as pleasant, and my time with Joe was informative into the culture and direction the company is headed, and also into Joe himself. After I accepted the position I got a personal call from Joe welcoming me to the team.

Interview Questions
    • It's tough to prepare for questions like "Tell me a song that describes your work ethic and why." But come on, those questions are simply to see how you think off the cuff and make things a bit more personal.   Answer Question
    My salary requirements were initially countered to a bit less than my previous salary, which was worrisome. However, after being upfront about the financial logistics of making the move work for me and my family, Bronto came through and offered a package that should put me near my initial request, with bonuses and the like.

Support Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bronto Software.

Brief phone interview with a manager which was quite unexpected. Follow up with an in-person interview. Interview with two associates were fine -- VP of client services was off-putting -- made me feel tense and uncomfortable throughout the rest of the interview. At first, the company seemed appealing due to its 'laid-back' working atmosphere but I was given the impression that the company relies too much on 'extra-curricular' activities. I would definitely vouch for any previous employee of this company that gave it a mediocre review.

Interview Questions
    • What bothers you most about your co-workers?

What superhero would you be and why?

What song can you most relate to?

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bronto Software.

An unfortunate review for what seems to be a good company follows! Applied online for a marketing associate position, and I received an email two weeks later to set up a phone interview. The interview lasted about 45 min, and seemed to go very well. At the end of the interview, the hiring manager for the position (not an HR rep--the actual marketing manager) stated that she would love to bring me in for an in-person interview. She said that an HR person would call within the week to set this up.

Well, 7 business days go by, and no word from Bronto. At this point I email the hiring manager to express continued interest in the job. The next day I get an email from an HR rep at Bronto stating that they are going to "pursue other candidates."

Their decision to pursue other candidates is fine and certainly understandable if they find someone with more pertinent experience! However, I was extremely not impressed with the hiring manager's conduct: stating that an in-person interview is to follow and then a complete dropoff of future communications. It is not something I would expect from a company that touts transparency and its employee culture as selling points of working there. I will certainly share my negative interview experience with others who may be considering working at Bronto.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Bronto Software.

Worst Interview process I've seen yet. Very bad with email communication. Sad because something something email marketing company.

Interview Questions
    • 1. List the programming languages with which you have proficiency and professional experience, along with how much experience you have.

2. What design patterns have you found yourself using in a professional capacity? Can you provide use-cases for why these patterns helped you write maintainable, testable code?

3. Describe your approach to unit testing. When can unit-testing fail? What are some additional benefits to unit testing, outside of the tests themselves?

4. Name the top 3 data structures you find yourself using for storage and manipulation of in-memory data. If you can, provide average and worst-case execution time for element add/remove/access/search.

5. List the top 3 things you like best about your primary development language. Likewise, provide your top 3 most hated aspects of that language.

6. Provide techniques and/or experience you have in order to scale applications for rapidly increasing:

o read-performance requirements

o write-performance requirements

o computational requirements

7. Please detail your experience working with and/or implementing distributed computing environments, where application logic, storage, manipulation, scheduling, etc. is not isolated to a single machine. What particular challenges and/or opportunities has these types of environments provided you?

8. Do you have experience working with HTTP-based APIs? Both application-internal and public, Internet facing APIs are OK. If so, what did you use them for? Have you implemented such an API? If so, please explain.

9. What is your preferred development environment? What operating system do you develop on/for? What editor/IDE do you use? Why do you use this set of tools?

10. Please list your top 5 favorite "geek" web sites.

For Java / Platform candidates:

1. Do you have experience with Spring or Google Guice?

2. Do you have experience with using Generics in your application design(s)? Explain.

3. Do you have experience with Java's concurrency API? Explain.

Not heard back.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Bronto Software.

So bad as to seem almost surreal. The HR was completely, utterly unorganized. They "scheduled" an interview with a hiring manager and when I called on the set time and day, HR had screwed up the day and time...even though we had "confirmed" the day and time at the time of the first call. Then another three or four weeks go by before another is scheduled...and it happened AGAIN! Another few weeks go by and I finally get to talk with the hiring manager. That interview seemed moot because they'd already forgotten about me anyway and probably had another candidate in mind. The whole process took a month and a half...for 1 phone interview with HR and 1 with a hiring manager...6 weeks...for two 15 minute phone calls. No offer...thank heavens.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were standard stuff...they didn't care...I was one of a hundred.   Answer Question

Not Clear, Some Sort of Sales Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Bronto Software.

Not hired, and based on how disorganized and unprofessional their recruiter was I'm not sure I want to be. All through the process, which was stretched over a month (to get one phone interview), I was told different stories. Interviews were setup and not confirmed so I was called out of the blue to discuss to do a phone interview regarding a role which we had determined I was already not interested in. I was told different stories by different people about what was available. The recruiter did not respond to direct questions and at times was completely unresponsive. All in all a poorly organized process.

The interviews that did transpire were very brief, no really relevant questions and almost felt like I was putting them out. One person actually just said "What questions do you have for me?" over and over, not sure he even asked me one. Then, and this was funny, I get a "thanks for your interest in XYZ position but we have...." and I didn't even interview for that position!

It may be a cool place to work but that can only carry you so far. Organization, execution and professionalism are important too, especially when you are trying to attract top talent. Quirky, funky, startup feels are one thing but should not be confused with unprofessionalism and lack of organization or planning.

Interview Questions
    • None, failed to schedule properly or even clearly define what I was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Bronto Software.

Applied online through LinkedIn posting. HR contacted me for phone interview. Then phone interview with hiring manager. Heard nothing for weeks. Finally, a "We had to make a tough decision blah, blah, blah, you're not hired" email.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever used Bronto's email marketing platform?   View Answer