Bronto Software

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bronto Software.

Interview Details – Interview process started with an unexpected 'phone interview' then followed by an in-person interview. Overall process took almost two weeks.

In-person interview started off with a tour of the office then I was interviewed with two associates that I would be closely working with. Being interviewed by them was fine, I almost felt that I was having a conversation instead of the interview with them. The next portion of the interview involved the VP of Client Services and a Manager. It was great up until they started throwing me questions where they did not feel my answers were living up to their expectations. With one particular question they had asked me, the VP actually questioned my answer to the point where it felt like I was lying to them, as if I had given them a wrong answer. These questions were open-ended, there was no right or wrong answer to them. From that point on, the interview went downhill and lost my confidence. I have never been in an interview where I felt as close as being insulted because I did not answer a question 'right'. However, I acknowledged that there were questions that required you to think quickly on your feet, which I totally understand.

Overall, the interview left a bad taste in my mouth -- the VP of Client Services gave me a very bad vibe, honestly. The company seems to be living off of too much 'charity work' and seemed as if they had way too much time on their hands doing really 'fun activities'. When do they even have time to work? After the interview, I didn't feel like I would mesh well with environment. I have never felt relieved and somewhat happy in receiving news that I was not extended an offer.

Interview Question – What superhero would you be and why?

What song would you choose that closely relates to your life.

Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bronto Software.

Interview Details – I applied for the Support Associate role through Bronto's website and was contacted via email requesting face to face interview. Once I confirmed the interview, an HR representative sent me a very clear interview schedule outlining who I would be meeting with and for how long, and where to go. This communication was very prompt. After arriving for my interview I was given a tour of the office space by an HR recruiter before the interview process began. I had three sessions of interviews that day, the first being with associates I would be working with directly, the second with the VP of Client Services and the hiring manager for my role, and the third a more informal Q & A wrap up with the recruiter. Everyone I met with was welcoming and polite. I felt as though everyone gave me a chance to speak and that the interview, although paced by questions, was more of a conversation. After my initial interview, I was contacted within about 48 hours with positive feedback about my interview and requesting a time to interview with the CEO. This second trip to Bronto was just as pleasant, and my time with Joe was informative into the culture and direction the company is headed, and also into Joe himself. After I accepted the position I got a personal call from Joe welcoming me to the team.

Interview Question – It's tough to prepare for questions like "Tell me a song that describes your work ethic and why." But come on, those questions are simply to see how you think off the cuff and make things a bit more personal.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My salary requirements were initially countered to a bit less than my previous salary, which was worrisome. However, after being upfront about the financial logistics of making the move work for me and my family, Bronto came through and offered a package that should put me near my initial request, with bonuses and the like.

Support Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Bronto Software.

Interview Details – Brief phone interview with a manager which was quite unexpected. Follow up with an in-person interview. Interview with two associates were fine -- VP of client services was off-putting -- made me feel tense and uncomfortable throughout the rest of the interview. At first, the company seemed appealing due to its 'laid-back' working atmosphere but I was given the impression that the company relies too much on 'extra-curricular' activities. I would definitely vouch for any previous employee of this company that gave it a mediocre review.

Interview Question – What bothers you most about your co-workers?

What superhero would you be and why?

What song can you most relate to?

Marketing Associate Interview

Marketing Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bronto Software.

Interview Details – An unfortunate review for what seems to be a good company follows! Applied online for a marketing associate position, and I received an email two weeks later to set up a phone interview. The interview lasted about 45 min, and seemed to go very well. At the end of the interview, the hiring manager for the position (not an HR rep--the actual marketing manager) stated that she would love to bring me in for an in-person interview. She said that an HR person would call within the week to set this up.

Well, 7 business days go by, and no word from Bronto. At this point I email the hiring manager to express continued interest in the job. The next day I get an email from an HR rep at Bronto stating that they are going to "pursue other candidates."

Their decision to pursue other candidates is fine and certainly understandable if they find someone with more pertinent experience! However, I was extremely not impressed with the hiring manager's conduct: stating that an in-person interview is to follow and then a complete dropoff of future communications. It is not something I would expect from a company that touts transparency and its employee culture as selling points of working there. I will certainly share my negative interview experience with others who may be considering working at Bronto.

Interview Question – There were not any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Durham, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Bronto Software.

Interview Details – Worst Interview process I've seen yet. Very bad with email communication. Sad because something something email marketing company.

Interview Question – 1. List the programming languages with which you have proficiency and professional experience, along with how much experience you have.

2. What design patterns have you found yourself using in a professional capacity? Can you provide use-cases for why these patterns helped you write maintainable, testable code?

3. Describe your approach to unit testing. When can unit-testing fail? What are some additional benefits to unit testing, outside of the tests themselves?

4. Name the top 3 data structures you find yourself using for storage and manipulation of in-memory data. If you can, provide average and worst-case execution time for element add/remove/access/search.

5. List the top 3 things you like best about your primary development language. Likewise, provide your top 3 most hated aspects of that language.

6. Provide techniques and/or experience you have in order to scale applications for rapidly increasing:

o read-performance requirements

o write-performance requirements

o computational requirements

7. Please detail your experience working with and/or implementing distributed computing environments, where application logic, storage, manipulation, scheduling, etc. is not isolated to a single machine. What particular challenges and/or opportunities has these types of environments provided you?

8. Do you have experience working with HTTP-based APIs? Both application-internal and public, Internet facing APIs are OK. If so, what did you use them for? Have you implemented such an API? If so, please explain.

9. What is your preferred development environment? What operating system do you develop on/for? What editor/IDE do you use? Why do you use this set of tools?

10. Please list your top 5 favorite "geek" web sites.

For Java / Platform candidates:

1. Do you have experience with Spring or Google Guice?

2. Do you have experience with using Generics in your application design(s)? Explain.

3. Do you have experience with Java's concurrency API? Explain.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not heard back.

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Bronto Software.

Interview Details – So bad as to seem almost surreal. The HR was completely, utterly unorganized. They "scheduled" an interview with a hiring manager and when I called on the set time and day, HR had screwed up the day and time...even though we had "confirmed" the day and time at the time of the first call. Then another three or four weeks go by before another is scheduled...and it happened AGAIN! Another few weeks go by and I finally get to talk with the hiring manager. That interview seemed moot because they'd already forgotten about me anyway and probably had another candidate in mind. The whole process took a month and a half...for 1 phone interview with HR and 1 with a hiring manager...6 weeks...for two 15 minute phone calls. No offer...thank heavens.

Interview Question – The questions were standard stuff...they didn't care...I was one of a hundred.   Answer Question

Not Clear, Some Sort of Sales Role Interview

Not Clear, Some Sort of Sales Role
Durham, NC

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Bronto Software.

Interview Details – Not hired, and based on how disorganized and unprofessional their recruiter was I'm not sure I want to be. All through the process, which was stretched over a month (to get one phone interview), I was told different stories. Interviews were setup and not confirmed so I was called out of the blue to discuss to do a phone interview regarding a role which we had determined I was already not interested in. I was told different stories by different people about what was available. The recruiter did not respond to direct questions and at times was completely unresponsive. All in all a poorly organized process.

The interviews that did transpire were very brief, no really relevant questions and almost felt like I was putting them out. One person actually just said "What questions do you have for me?" over and over, not sure he even asked me one. Then, and this was funny, I get a "thanks for your interest in XYZ position but we have...." and I didn't even interview for that position!

It may be a cool place to work but that can only carry you so far. Organization, execution and professionalism are important too, especially when you are trying to attract top talent. Quirky, funky, startup feels are one thing but should not be confused with unprofessionalism and lack of organization or planning.

Interview Question – None, failed to schedule properly or even clearly define what I was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bronto Software in June 2011.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews, 1 in person interview (but with many people...5).

Negotiation Details – Initial offer was lower than expectations. 2nd offer was low again. 3rd was higher but not where I wanted to be.

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Regional Sales Manager
Durham, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bronto Software in August 2012.

Interview Details – Got 2 interviews.
I got invited the first time and nobody knew I was coming: so they scrambled to find warm body to interview me. Decide the next step with HR.
Nothing happened.
They rescheduled the interview. This time they were able to "alert" everybody of the interview. First meeting was 30 minutes late!
Went through all the interviews, and we all agreed (both parties) on the next steps.
They came back later saying that they decided otherwise.
Basically they tell you one thing and do the opposite. I suspect this is the company behavior and I feel sorry for their customers.

Interview Question – Typically standard questions. The only weird thing was the VP of Sales that was complaining about the formatting of my resume rather than asking me the tough questions.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Bronto Software.

Interview Details – Applied online through LinkedIn posting. HR contacted me for phone interview. Then phone interview with hiring manager. Heard nothing for weeks. Finally, a "We had to make a tough decision blah, blah, blah, you're not hired" email.

Interview Question – Have you ever used Bronto's email marketing platform?   View Answer

Worked for Bronto Software? Contribute to the Community!