Brookdale Senior Living

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Providence, RI

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in January 2010.

Interview Details – Brookdale uses the Targeted Selection Interview process. How it differs from other interviews is that they will not ask you what you would do in a given situation. They want stories that reveal what you have actually done in response to their question. I had seven interviews for my position as executive director and it took 10 weeks.

Negotiation Details – I was unable to negotiate on salary, however I was able to negotiate additional paid time off.

Salisbury, NC

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in July 2013.

Interview Details – The actual process is quite lengthy; approximately 5 months from start to actual offer. I had 3 phone interviews to start, one onsite interview at community, then 3 more phone interviews afterwards. The recruiter was very friendly and professional. They all use situation-based interview questions to evaluate personality, motivation, experience, and results.

Interview Question – Can you tell me a time when had a difficult employee/manager who was valuable to your team but their personality was creating conflict with other employees?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They were limited on the negotiating as it is based on the community's annual budget, but they did come up to a fair level and were able to offer a small signing bonus to help offset the cost of moving. They do not cover relocation costs for any position.

Melbourne, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in June 2010.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview then an in person interview, walk through of the facility and then on the job trial period shadowing trainer. The Interview questions were mostly situational, What-if questions. There were some that seemed to be experienced based, but not as much time was spent on them.

Interview Question – The most difficult question involved how to get a team working for you to accomplish the goals of the healthcare facility.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It was a take it or leave it.

Executive Director

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living.

Interview Details – call from RDO, schedule face to face interviews with her and regional Nurse, Regional Sales Manager. Long gaps of time between interviews made me think the process died, but they picked it up and I was hired.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was making more than they wanted to pay me, but they ultimately met my salary requirements.

Executive Director

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living.

Interview Details – I was promoted from within still had to complete fingerprint and background screenings. It is for the safety and well being of the residents. The process is lengthly especially for a new associate to Brookdale. The background screening can take from 1 - 10 + days depending on names, addresses. Healthcare is so regulated, it is out of Brookdale control, then there is fingerprinting, drug test, physical and TB test. That process takes time. If some one doesn't meet any one of those test, they could be declined the offer. From on-line application to offer was about 4 - 6 weeks.

Interview Question – Do you believe you have all the information/knowledge to be able to work in this position effectively?   View Answer

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in December 2010.

Interview Details – 13 interviews and it took 3 months to hire me. By the time they get around to hiring you most good candidates are gone or already found a job. It takes them about 60 to 90 days to hire for all managers.

Interview Question – Your most difficult interview will be with the CEO or Vice President. Open Ended interview questions, give me an example of how you handled a situation where you believe you were right and your supervisor did not. Did you take it up the chain of command. If so, what happened?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Whatever you tell the recruiter your bottom line is, you are stuck with. If you tell them you were making 65,000 at your last job, that is how much you will make here. You can't negotiate after the recruiter refers you on. They really low ball you to the budget. They try to get the best talent for least amount of money and ask about the health insurance. The health insurance is terrible!!! They hardly pay for anything and no doctor's want to take United Health Care. They make you take a blood test and then it takes a year just to get United to pay the bill for a $600 lab they require to be employed. Doctors do not like to deal with United and its not uncommon to have a doctor that participates that is 45 minutes away from your home. My hospital was 45 minutes away from my home and how am I supposed to go into labor and travel 45 minutes? Then, have pay out of network for other hospital by your home.

Executive Director

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in November 2012.

Interview Details – The process seemed at first to be well done. I was interviewed by the recruiter first and was immediately scheduled for an interview with the regional VP. Because the VP was called away, I was interviewed by a "Operations Specialist". I was later interviewed over the phone by the VP and it seemed to go exceptionally well and I was told I would have a new interview with some one farther up the food chain. Although I was told they would soon contact me , all my future e-mails were ignored. I found this to be quite unprofessional. Even if they decided not to go forward with me, I would have expected at least a kind e-mail. During the numerous interviews, I heard repeatedly about the "amazing Culture" at Brookdale. They "culture is not supported by my experience, nor by those I know who work there or worked there, nor by this "glassdoor". I am disappointed.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult.   View Answer

Executive Director

Interview Details – Very unorganized; interviewed with RDO who kept asking if recruiter had contacted me yet (they had not).

Interview Question – They use targeted selection, meaning they will ask you to use examples of past experiences.   View Answer

Executive Director

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was called by the recruiter for my position. The inital interview was standard and I was passed on through each member of the regional team and then the divisional team. Each person made me feel comfortable and valued for my opinions about leadership and seniors. Overall it was a great experience.

Interview Question – What was your closing ratio for each previous community you operated?   Answer Question

Executive Director

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in March 2010.

Interview Details – Very long and unorganized. Panel interview was the most frustrating. 6 people taking turns asking questions.....so unrealistic and unnecessary.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Disorganization, pay, present employees opinions.

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!