Brookdale Senior Living Executive Director Interview Questions

Updated Jun 1, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living (Columbus, OH) in April 2015.

Interview

They put you through situational but in your own words they want your story and how you handled the situation. I spoke with HR and they sent me to the interim Regional for the facility and then I had another phone interview with the regional clinical. I was then to have an additional phone interview with the regional sales, after two weeks of not hearing from this individual I reached out to HR via email and my email was ignored, how can a corporation expect to obtain professional individuals when they are so unprofessional in there process. I am completely fine with not obtaining a position from this organization because they do not meet any of the standards that there culture speaks on. I am sure that the CEO of this organization would be interested to know how they treat prospective employees, very unsettling.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to discipline an individual and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salisbury, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living (Salisbury, NC) in July 2013.

Interview

The actual process is quite lengthy; approximately 5 months from start to actual offer. I had 3 phone interviews to start, one onsite interview at community, then 3 more phone interviews afterwards. The recruiter was very friendly and professional. They all use situation-based interview questions to evaluate personality, motivation, experience, and results.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me a time when had a difficult employee/manager who was valuable to your team but their personality was creating conflict with other employees?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They were limited on the negotiating as it is based on the community's annual budget, but they did come up to a fair level and were able to offer a small signing bonus to help offset the cost of moving. They do not cover relocation costs for any position.

Executive Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living.

Interview

call from RDO, schedule face to face interviews with her and regional Nurse, Regional Sales Manager. Long gaps of time between interviews made me think the process died, but they picked it up and I was hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was making more than they wanted to pay me, but they ultimately met my salary requirements.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living (Seattle, WA) in March 2013.

Interview

Briefly spoke with the Regionals Team and discussed scenerios and my experience. Three dsiciplines were present: Operations, Nursing and Marketing. Each explained their position and how they supported my role. They all asked for ideas on current problems and issues they were having. Basically they were looking for problem solving skills and how I would react under pressure.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you liked an employee and no one else did.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was presented with thier highest offer. There was no negotiation.

Executive Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living.

Interview

I was promoted from within still had to complete fingerprint and background screenings. It is for the safety and well being of the residents. The process is lengthly especially for a new associate to Brookdale. The background screening can take from 1 - 10 + days depending on names, addresses. Healthcare is so regulated, it is out of Brookdale control, then there is fingerprinting, drug test, physical and TB test. That process takes time. If some one doesn't meet any one of those test, they could be declined the offer. From on-line application to offer was about 4 - 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Do you believe you have all the information/knowledge to be able to work in this position effectively?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living (Houston, TX) in June 2012.

Interview

I completed the application online and emailed my resume. I was contacted by a recruiter within 5 days. He was very pleasant and said I was extremely qualified for the position. He recommended I apply for the Operations Specialist position. He set up an appointment for the RVP who never called. The recruiter called again and explained she had not been available and was interested in rescheduling the call. The call was scheduled for 2 weeks later. She finally called about 20 minutes late and spent less than 5 minutes on the phone with me. She said she had other interviews and would call to set up an interview at the community. Months went by and that call never came. The same position has been posted now 2 times in the last 3 months. They have hired people and those same people have quit or been terminated. I then applied for the same position in another state and region and never received a call.

Interview Questions

• Questions were not difficult at all. I had extensive experience in the field as a Regional Director and Consultant   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living (Detroit, MI) in December 2010.

Interview

13 interviews and it took 3 months to hire me. By the time they get around to hiring you most good candidates are gone or already found a job. It takes them about 60 to 90 days to hire for all managers.

Interview Questions

• Your most difficult interview will be with the CEO or Vice President. Open Ended interview questions, give me an example of how you handled a situation where you believe you were right and your supervisor did not. Did you take it up the chain of command. If so, what happened?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Whatever you tell the recruiter your bottom line is, you are stuck with. If you tell them you were making 65,000 at your last job, that is how much you will make here. You can't negotiate after the recruiter refers you on. They really low ball you to the budget. They try to get the best talent for least amount of money and ask about the health insurance. The health insurance is terrible!!! They hardly pay for anything and no doctor's want to take United Health Care. They make you take a blood test and then it takes a year just to get United to pay the bill for a $600 lab they require to be employed. Doctors do not like to deal with United and its not uncommon to have a doctor that participates that is 45 minutes away from your home. My hospital was 45 minutes away from my home and how am I supposed to go into labor and travel 45 minutes? Then, have pay out of network for other hospital by your home.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living (Melbourne, FL) in June 2010.

Interview

Initial phone interview then an in person interview, walk through of the facility and then on the job trial period shadowing trainer. The Interview questions were mostly situational, What-if questions. There were some that seemed to be experienced based, but not as much time was spent on them.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question involved how to get a team working for you to accomplish the goals of the healthcare facility.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. It was a take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living (Providence, RI) in January 2010.

Interview

Brookdale uses the Targeted Selection Interview process. How it differs from other interviews is that they will not ask you what you would do in a given situation. They want stories that reveal what you have actually done in response to their question. I had seven interviews for my position as executive director and it took 10 weeks.

Negotiation

I was unable to negotiate on salary, however I was able to negotiate additional paid time off.

Executive Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in November 2012.

Interview

The process seemed at first to be well done. I was interviewed by the recruiter first and was immediately scheduled for an interview with the regional VP. Because the VP was called away, I was interviewed by a "Operations Specialist". I was later interviewed over the phone by the VP and it seemed to go exceptionally well and I was told I would have a new interview with some one farther up the food chain. Although I was told they would soon contact me , all my future e-mails were ignored. I found this to be quite unprofessional. Even if they decided not to go forward with me, I would have expected at least a kind e-mail. During the numerous interviews, I heard repeatedly about the "amazing Culture" at Brookdale. They "culture is not supported by my experience, nor by those I know who work there or worked there, nor by this "glassdoor". I am disappointed.