Brookdale Senior Living Executive Director Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2015

3.2

Executive Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in April 2015.

Interview

I interviewed in person and by phone with six people. Everyone I met with was professional and openly complimentary of my background. It was a long process that started to lose momentum over time.

Interview Questions

• They were interested in my strategy ideas for increasing census.   Answer Question

There wasn't enough upside for me to leave my current position.

Other Interview Reviews for Brookdale Senior Living

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living (Columbus, OH) in April 2015.

Interview

They put you through situational but in your own words they want your story and how you handled the situation. I spoke with HR and they sent me to the interim Regional for the facility and then I had another phone interview with the regional clinical. I was then to have an additional phone interview with the regional sales, after two weeks of not hearing from this individual I reached out to HR via email and my email was ignored, how can a corporation expect to obtain professional individuals when they are so unprofessional in there process. I am completely fine with not obtaining a position from this organization because they do not meet any of the standards that there culture speaks on. I am sure that the CEO of this organization would be interested to know how they treat prospective employees, very unsettling.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to discipline an individual and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salisbury, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living (Salisbury, NC) in July 2013.

Interview

The actual process is quite lengthy; approximately 5 months from start to actual offer. I had 3 phone interviews to start, one onsite interview at community, then 3 more phone interviews afterwards. The recruiter was very friendly and professional. They all use situation-based interview questions to evaluate personality, motivation, experience, and results.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me a time when had a difficult employee/manager who was valuable to your team but their personality was creating conflict with other employees?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They were limited on the negotiating as it is based on the community's annual budget, but they did come up to a fair level and were able to offer a small signing bonus to help offset the cost of moving. They do not cover relocation costs for any position.

Executive Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living.

Interview

call from RDO, schedule face to face interviews with her and regional Nurse, Regional Sales Manager. Long gaps of time between interviews made me think the process died, but they picked it up and I was hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was making more than they wanted to pay me, but they ultimately met my salary requirements.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living (Seattle, WA) in March 2013.

Interview

Briefly spoke with the Regionals Team and discussed scenerios and my experience. Three dsiciplines were present: Operations, Nursing and Marketing. Each explained their position and how they supported my role. They all asked for ideas on current problems and issues they were having. Basically they were looking for problem solving skills and how I would react under pressure.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you liked an employee and no one else did.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was presented with thier highest offer. There was no negotiation.

Executive Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living.

Interview

I was promoted from within still had to complete fingerprint and background screenings. It is for the safety and well being of the residents. The process is lengthly especially for a new associate to Brookdale. The background screening can take from 1 - 10 + days depending on names, addresses. Healthcare is so regulated, it is out of Brookdale control, then there is fingerprinting, drug test, physical and TB test. That process takes time. If some one doesn't meet any one of those test, they could be declined the offer. From on-line application to offer was about 4 - 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Do you believe you have all the information/knowledge to be able to work in this position effectively?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living (Boston, MA) in July 2012.

Interview

Interviewed by phone with corporate HR; Regional Director and VP of East Coast. i had to submit an online application and mail in my references. I had two interviews face to face with the hiring director. The phone interviews were harder for me because I like eye to eye contact to whom I speak .

Interview Questions

• A lot of "what would you do if..." questions. "What was your worst day on the job and what made it that way?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living (Houston, TX) in June 2012.

Interview

I completed the application online and emailed my resume. I was contacted by a recruiter within 5 days. He was very pleasant and said I was extremely qualified for the position. He recommended I apply for the Operations Specialist position. He set up an appointment for the RVP who never called. The recruiter called again and explained she had not been available and was interested in rescheduling the call. The call was scheduled for 2 weeks later. She finally called about 20 minutes late and spent less than 5 minutes on the phone with me. She said she had other interviews and would call to set up an interview at the community. Months went by and that call never came. The same position has been posted now 2 times in the last 3 months. They have hired people and those same people have quit or been terminated. I then applied for the same position in another state and region and never received a call.

Interview Questions

• Questions were not difficult at all. I had extensive experience in the field as a Regional Director and Consultant   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living (Houston, TX) in January 2012.

Interview

If you interview for a leadership position at the community level or higher: You will interview over the phone with a recruiter or ED Next you will interview with each regional directors from Operations, Clinical, Dietary, Sales and Marketing, and perhaps Asset Management. Sometimes these interviews happen over a week, but the norm is closer to 2 weeks. Then either your future boss' boss or a Divisional VP.

Interview Questions

• Give me a specific example of a time when you had to make quick decision without all the facts? what was the action and most importantly what was the result?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Brookdale Senior Living (Detroit, MI) in December 2010.

Interview

13 interviews and it took 3 months to hire me. By the time they get around to hiring you most good candidates are gone or already found a job. It takes them about 60 to 90 days to hire for all managers.

Interview Questions

• Your most difficult interview will be with the CEO or Vice President. Open Ended interview questions, give me an example of how you handled a situation where you believe you were right and your supervisor did not. Did you take it up the chain of command. If so, what happened?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Whatever you tell the recruiter your bottom line is, you are stuck with. If you tell them you were making 65,000 at your last job, that is how much you will make here. You can't negotiate after the recruiter refers you on. They really low ball you to the budget. They try to get the best talent for least amount of money and ask about the health insurance. The health insurance is terrible!!! They hardly pay for anything and no doctor's want to take United Health Care. They make you take a blood test and then it takes a year just to get United to pay the bill for a $600 lab they require to be employed. Doctors do not like to deal with United and its not uncommon to have a doctor that participates that is 45 minutes away from your home. My hospital was 45 minutes away from my home and how am I supposed to go into labor and travel 45 minutes? Then, have pay out of network for other hospital by your home.