Brookdale Senior Living

2.7

Maintenance Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in February 2009.

I worked there 2 years earlier, they called me last month(2/09) & asked me to come & talk to them, which I did. I filled out a new application as a formality & they lost it, the new Ex. Director scheduled a second interview with me & then took that day off. There is no Leadership skills in this Corp. Last week(3/09), the next new Ex. Director called me & asked me to come fill out "another" application, I declined.

Interview Questions
    • What would the inside of my car look like if we were to go look inside of it right now?   View Answers (2)
    • Why do I think I could be a Maintenance Director?   View Answer

Left hand does not know what the right hand is doing....Confussed atmosphere. They claim to have all the answers, but they don't know what the questions are.

Sales and Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in April 2012.

Oddest thing ever: Was contacted via email for a phone interview and requested 3 times when I was available. After I wrote right back that day, I never heard back. I wrote/called to follow-up numerous times over the next week and then was assigned a time another week out. I waited 45 minutes after the assigned interview time (yes, I checked and re-checked) and never got the call. I called the recruiter an hour after the appt. and followed up with 2 emails over the week and one more phone call. Then I received an email saying thanks but no thanks. HR/recruiting can do what they want but never forget that we are ALL in sales: what if I had a loved one that I was considering putting into an assisted living?! What this says is I would NEVER put a loved one in a place that has so little regard of people's time. Nor would I recommend it to anyone either. You didn't let ME down: I will find a career in senior living but you showed a terrible face to potential customers. Shame on you.

Director of Financial Services Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in April 2010.

Took a very long time. Interviewed 5 times.

Interview Questions
    Not able to negotiate at all. Not even since i wasn't taking health benefits

Director of Dining Services Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in April 2011.

Initial phone interview with the Executive Director, followed by and Interview with the Divisional F& B Manager, followed by a Panel interview, finally the last interview was a series of questions involving my observations after a tour of the facility to be answered in written form.

There was very little negotiation perhaps the attitude correlated with the bad economy.

Assisted Living Management Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in June 2009.

Recruited for the position and talked via phone with company recruiter. Recruiter scheduled an initial interview in person w/ managment which was 1:1. Was called back by recruiter and 2nd interview with another person. Recruiter called back and set up telephone interview with another person(This is now 3rd interview) Recruiter called back and set up in person interview with another management person (1:1). Recruiter called and set up final telephone interview. Total of 5 interviews - 2 in person. When too much time had passed for my comfort - I called the recruiter to find out where we were in the process - they had to find out becaues they didn't know either.
    All of the people I spoke with were pleasant, friendly and informative. With the exception of one person, I felt like they were giving me their undivided attention and trying to get to know me.
    My advise to other candidates is - don't expect immediate decision. Unfortunately their process is long and there is no feedback along the way. Also, don't pass up another good opportunity if one comes along thinking you have the job.

Interview Questions
    • What was the toughest obstacle you've had to overcome?   Answer Question

Nursing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in September 2011.

Had a 2:1 interview first then the next week due to my schedule 1:1 interview. Everyone seems .pretty nice no problems salary is what I asked for. I hate group interviews and I didn't know I was going to have one until I got there. But all in all typical questions positive experience

Got what I asked for

Marketing Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in November 2011.

I applied online and was invited by email to attend a group interview. They had two group interview sessions where about 8 people total were interviewed. There were no additional interviews. Though the title is Marketing Coordinator, it seems to be more of a sales support position. You need to have a strong background in sales and seniors to be a top candidate for this position.

Staff Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raymore, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raymore, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in September 2010.

I was originally interviewed by just the ADON, as the DON was unavailable. It was a casual interview, as I felt very comfortable talking with her. It lasted about 30 minutes or so. I waited, as they were still interviewing for the position. I lacked the actual requirements they were looking for. I kept in contact with the ADON over the next few weeks. I told her to give me a chance to prove myself and she would not be disappointed. I finally received a call from the DON, who conducted a short phone interview. She explained she had previous issues with others she had hired for the position, being unable to conduct a good in-service. That was on a Friday. She asked me if I would be willing to put together an in-service and come in that following Monday and do a presentation. I said yes and spent all that weekend preparing for Monday. I was escorted to the classroom, where there were about seven other people in the room. I did my in-service on "Fall Prevention" and was immediately welcomed to Brookdale afterwards. It was extremely nerve racking!!

Interview Questions
    • What did I see as my area that I needed more work on?   View Answer
    There was no negotiating. The salary was told to me upfront and it was acceptable.

Executive Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in March 2010.

Very long and unorganized. Panel interview was the most frustrating. 6 people taking turns asking questions.....so unrealistic and unnecessary.

Interview Questions
    • Do you like to work with elderly???   View Answer
    • What kind of supervisor do you enjoy working for?   View Answer

Disorganization, pay, present employees opinions.

Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Brookdale Senior Living in December 2010.

13 interviews and it took 3 months to hire me. By the time they get around to hiring you most good candidates are gone or already found a job. It takes them about 60 to 90 days to hire for all managers.

Interview Questions
    • Your most difficult interview will be with the CEO or Vice President. Open Ended interview questions, give me an example of how you handled a situation where you believe you were right and your supervisor did not. Did you take it up the chain of command. If so, what happened?   View Answer
    Whatever you tell the recruiter your bottom line is, you are stuck with. If you tell them you were making 65,000 at your last job, that is how much you will make here. You can't negotiate after the recruiter refers you on. They really low ball you to the budget. They try to get the best talent for least amount of money and ask about the health insurance. The health insurance is terrible!!! They hardly pay for anything and no doctor's want to take United Health Care. They make you take a blood test and then it takes a year just to get United to pay the bill for a $600 lab they require to be employed. Doctors do not like to deal with United and its not uncommon to have a doctor that participates that is 45 minutes away from your home. My hospital was 45 minutes away from my home and how am I supposed to go into labor and travel 45 minutes? Then, have pay out of network for other hospital by your home.