Brookhaven LAB Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015

2.6

Clerical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upton, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY).

Interview

I sat one on one in HR to interview with the recruiter. I was then directed to the office/building of the position I was applying for. I interviewed with the manager and administrator that was hiring for the position. They expressed the position clearly, then they reviewed my resume, pointed out where they saw a good fit, asked me some follow up questions, clarified some resume bullets, inquired when I would be available if offered the position, showed me around the office/medical area, asked if I had any questions, shook my hand and stated that it was very nice to meet me. Even if I hadn't gotten the position they made me feel confident in my skills. It was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Why am I leaving my current job?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and then got an request for phone interview after a month. Then after another 3 weeks, I was invited to a one-day on-site visit. I was asked to deliver a 1-hour presentation on my PhD thesis. Then there were several 30 minutes meetings with all the PIs on the proposal. One thing you should be aware of is that Brookhaven National Lab is located in very rural area. In the evening before your onsite interview, the only place to get some food is an automatic vending machine at the Guest Center. If you arrive on weekends, it might run out of stock. The research group will probably treat you to dinner for your on-site visit. However, if that's not in the plan, It might be a good idea to grab some to-go food from the airport.

I was the first candidate to be invited there and there were two other candidates whom they would like to see but hadn't worked out the schedule yet. So it took a bit long after my on-site visit before I got the offer. From the first phone interview, it took about 2 months.

Interview Questions

• Q: What's your career goal? (Academia, industry, etc.)   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Brookhaven LAB.

Interview

Submitted application online, asked about GPA and some basic question; two short essays about why would you like to work in the lab and what project did you interested in. Got reply back after a month, and had a 20 min phone interview. got an offer three days after the phone interview

Interview Questions

• nothing difficult, the only question i can remember is "what's your favorite class and lease favorite class"   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upton, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY).

Interview

Recruitment department is strong. Recruiter helps the candidate to be successful. The process can take a few months and this is not unexpected. There are multiple interviews until an offer is extended. All interviewers seem genuinely interested in the lab and in the job candidate personally and in the candidate's fit.

Gold Haber Fellow Interview

Interview

Find a mentor, submit a research proposal, get invterviewed, get hired

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation options

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Brookhaven LAB in March 2014.

Interview

online phone interview over skype, 1 hours talking including 30 mins presentation and 30 mins conversation. presentation is about my PHD work. I changed my phd defense slides a little bit. then all group members (PIs) asked questions according to my PHD work. because of my strong publication, they decide to offer me a position after online talk. no more onsite interview.

Senior Technology Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Brookhaven LAB.

Interview

Technical Questions, getting to know people

Post Doc Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Brookhaven LAB.

Interview

Online application followed by a 40min phone interview and then selected for one-day onsite interview

Interview Questions

• Why you choose Brookhaven? Do you have any other pending offers?   Answer Question

The location is a minus.

Assistant Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Upton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

several emails change and onsite

Interview Questions

• mostly behavioral, since technical skills were proved by my publications.   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upton, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Brookhaven LAB (Upton, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

Meetings with many individuals. Tour of the facilities. Lunch with a group. Give a 1-hour seminar with very detailed discussion after the talk. The on-campus housing is minimal so don't expect a nice hotel room.