Brookings Institution

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Brookings Institution

Interview Details – I was contacted a week after applying; I interviewed with a few experts in the field and they had everything quite planned out. They asked highly detailed questions. Two were upper level policy members and one was a manager and the other was an assistant--they wanted everyone's feedback on the entire hiring process.

Interview Question – What were the implications of X legislation?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Brookings Institution in January 2012.

Interview Details – Very rigorous interview process. Met with three full time researchers and was drilled with math and econ questions. The interviewers were very friendly but intense. We had lunch after the interview and they held very interesting conversations.

Interview Question – Guestimate the number of emplyees at brookings.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had another offer.

Staff Assistant Interview

Staff Assistant
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Brookings Institution.

Interview Details – I applied for a position and two months later I started. This is not normal for Brookings. In fact, most staff waited nearly 6 months between initial application, interviews, and hiring.

Interview Question – What is your health background?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I started immediately.

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

Interviewed at Brookings Institution

Interview Details – applied via online system, one HR interview, one interview with the researcher

Interview Question – what kind of supervisor would you work well under?
what kind of organization culture would you work well in?
  Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

Research Intern
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Brookings Institution in November 2013.

Interview Details – Cover letter, resume, transcript required, and just one phone interview

Interview Question – Of all of the scholars in the Governance Studies program, whose research are you most interested in?   Answer Question

Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Brookings Institution.

Interview Details – Two weeks after application was asked to submit writing sample; a few days later asked to set up an interview. After a few emails the interview was set up and went alright. Took about a half hour. It took over 1 month for a final decision following that.

Interview Question – Began, after brief introduction, asking about if I had any questions before inquiring into my experience - this was a little surprising.   Answer Question

Development Coordinator Interview

Development Coordinator
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Brookings Institution.

Interview Details – Very extensive.
1. Applied online
2. Heard back a month later and had a phone interview with a team member
3. a couple weeks later, had a 1-on-1 with that team member
4. A week after that, had a series of panel interviews with the team, the head of the team, and the deputy director of the department, and then an HR interview.
5. A week later, there was a skills test onsite.
6. A week after thought, following a background check, I received an offer.

Interview Question – What are you reading right now?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not too extensive. I was satisfied with the offer.

Washington, DC

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Brookings Institution in May 2010.

Interview Details – Several interviews wiith prospective boss and peers.

Interview Question – What do you think of our website?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation. Each job advertised has a specific grade level and salary band.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Brookings Institution in February 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online at the company's website in mid-Dec. Received an email mid-Jan from the department to schedule a 15min. phone interview with the director of the project and a senior researcher. They apologized for getting back to applicants so late, so normally the process doesn't take that long.

Phone session a couple of days later went well. I was asked why I switched careers to research and how I got interested in their topic area. I spoke about how it impacted my class work and part-time ra job, what my views and understanding of the subject was. Basically, they wanted to confirm that you knew what you were talking about. Two weeks later, received an email from the department to schedule an in person interview with the same pair.

Met at office a week later. Spent half an hour with hr going over my resume, career change, classes, and activity since graduation. It was the most detailed questioning I've had for any job to date. Lots of follow up questions. Surprisingly, there were many about my spouse and what they did. That was strange. She asked if my references were up to date and I said I'd check on an older one and get back to her.

Went on to the director and researcher and talked for an hour and a half about the job, my past experience, and stories about things we had in common. There weren't any hr-type questions and they were direct and straightforward. They asked me to send a writing sample. I thought the interview went well and there was a real rapport. However, they said they were doing two weeks of in person interviews, then at least one more round after that, maybe more.

Sent thank you emails with follow up materials the next day. Didn't hear anything for three weeks. Sent an inquiry to hr. Haven't heard anything since. I've heard that it's normal now for companies not to contact you with the results after an interview, but this was disappointing as they were otherwise professional.

In all, it seems like a wonderful place to work with people who care about what they do. God only knows how many applications they got. Frankly, it’s a job lottery for overqualified candidates. The position only called for a BA and I have two MS’s. Other applicants probably had similar education and more experience.

Interview Question – Where does your spouse attend school?   View Answers (2)

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Brookings Institution in March 2007.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with current research assistant. Then three one-on-one interviews, first with the current research assistant, then with the program manager, and then with the scholar. Most questions about my previous experience, especially data collection and management for economics, major focus on the details of my knowledge of particular topics.

Interview Question – Please describe your previous experience in managing large data sets and presenting economic data in graphic format.   Answer Question

Worked for Brookings Institution? Contribute to the Community!