Brookings Institution Interview Questions

Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.9

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Brookings Institution.

Interview

One phone interview with department coordinator/RA, simple questions. Tell me about yourself, tell me about X experience on your resume, your weaknesses and your strengths, why are you interested in Brookings, why this department, do you know any of the scholars work, what are you most looking forward to in working here

Interview Questions

• Pretty easy, I guess hardest would be do you know scholars in the department   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, you have about a week to accept

Application

Interview

Sent in an email application to the main job board. After about 2 weeks, I received a response asking if I was available for a phone interview. The first interview was relatively relaxed, with very basic behavioral questions asked. After another 2 weeks, I received an update asking if I was available for an interview with the Director of the Department. After this interview, which also had an economist brought on to ask more focused questions, I was told to wait a few days while they made a decision. After 4 days, I was told I received the job.

Interview Questions

• The Export-Import Bank has made quite a bit of news recently. Please explain what the bank does and please make an argument for or against its operations.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online and interviewed via phone 3 weeks later. The interview was conducted by a current research assistant to one of the experts and the questions were very typical, such as "why would you want to work at Brookings," "describe a research project you really enjoyed," etc. They were very interested in knowing exactly how much research I had previously done in the area of study. Entire process was very pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Most very common questions. Most difficult question asked for details of research in specific area of expertise   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

I was contacted a week after applying; I interviewed with a few experts in the field and they had everything quite planned out. They asked highly detailed questions. Two were upper level policy members and one was a manager and the other was an assistant--they wanted everyone's feedback on the entire hiring process.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Brookings Institution (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied for a position and two months later I started. This is not normal for Brookings. In fact, most staff waited nearly 6 months between initial application, interviews, and hiring.

Interview Questions

• What is your health background?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. I started immediately.

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

applied via online system, one HR interview, one interview with the researcher

Interview Questions

• what kind of supervisor would you work well under?
      what kind of organization culture would you work well in?

Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Brookings Institution.

Interview

Two weeks after application was asked to submit writing sample; a few days later asked to set up an interview. After a few emails the interview was set up and went alright. Took about a half hour. It took over 1 month for a final decision following that.

Interview Questions

• Began, after brief introduction, asking about if I had any questions before inquiring into my experience - this was a little surprising.   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Brookings Institution (Washington, DC) in November 2013.

Interview

Cover letter, resume, transcript required, and just one phone interview

Interview Questions

• Of all of the scholars in the Governance Studies program, whose research are you most interested in?   Answer Question

Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Brookings Institution (Washington, DC).

Interview

Very extensive.
    1. Applied online
    2. Heard back a month later and had a phone interview with a team member
    3. a couple weeks later, had a 1-on-1 with that team member
    4. A week after that, had a series of panel interviews with the team, the head of the team, and the deputy director of the department, and then an HR interview.
    5. A week later, there was a skills test onsite.
    6. A week after thought, following a background check, I received an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not too extensive. I was satisfied with the offer.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Brookings Institution (Washington, DC) in January 2012.

Interview

Very rigorous interview process. Met with three full time researchers and was drilled with math and econ questions. The interviewers were very friendly but intense. We had lunch after the interview and they held very interesting conversations.

Had another offer.