Brown Shoe Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015

2.3

Sales Associatest Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Brown Shoe (Miami, FL).

Interview

it was nerve wrecking. first you have to fill out the online portion then they will ask you to come in for a one on one then they required me to fill out a lot of application

Print Marketing Procurement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Brown Shoe (Saint Louis, MO) in February 2015.

Interview

Long, but intriguing and stimulating online application portion including basic skills and personality test.
    Was contacted to do an initial phone interview.
    Was told I would hear by a certain week either way. I did hear. I appreciate being notified even though I did not advance.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about being asked at the last minute to stay late? Do you have a hard stop time?   1 Answer
    • We have a customer who likes to change things at the last minute. Do you deal well with last minute changes?   1 Answer

Real Estate, Store Planning Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter who scheduled the initial phone interview asking your general interview questions. Recruiter also coordinated the second and third interviews with Human Resources and the Director of the team. Each interview getting more specific to the qualifications and expectations of the position.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Brown Shoe in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online, contacted at a later date. Was called on a Thursday and had an interview on Sunday morning, it was also a group interview. They had a panel where each of the three assistant managers asked one and the other questions coming from the manager. Straight forward questions. There was to be a one on one interview to follow, but I believe I was overly qualified and didn't receive a follow up.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions:
      What does success mean to you?
      Why do people steal? And what would you do if you saw someone trying to steal?
      What is your greatest accomplishment?
      What's your five year plan? (In 10-20 seconds)

Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview

I went into Famous Footwear just to shop and the manager asked me to apply. I applied later that day and had an interview a few days later. The manager was really nice and made the interview super comfortable. She offered me the job at the end of the interview and I started work just a few days after that.

Interview Questions

• There were no extremely difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Director, Talent Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Brown Shoe (Madison, WI).

Interview

I started with the company in 2001in the Madison, WI Famous Footwear office where I had been brought in as a consultant. The company hired me based on the good work I had done for them. From there I continued to be developed, mentored, promoted and rewarded for my work efforts until I left in 2011.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview

-applied-interviewed-follow up phone call-then nothing.
    -they called for an additional interview--follow up phone call-then nothing again.
    -they called about weeks later and offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to take a risk-the interviewers could not even explain the question to me. did not know how to answer.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Brown Shoe in April 2014.

Interview

When you go into the store and ask for an application they hand you a brochure with what the company is looking for and a small section to fill out. Before you can bring the filled out portion back they require you to do an online application and questionnaire that takes about 30-45 minutes to do. If you pass that portion of the processes and get noticed they will call you for an interview.
    My first interview was with the store manager over the phone (I was moving across the country at the time). The normal questions were asked as well as questions pertaining directly to working in shoe sales. After speaking with her for about 30 minutes she said she liked my personality and would like me to do an in person interview with the associate manager after I arrived in town (which was only a week away).
    The in person interview lasted about 45 minutes and was basically a repeat of what was asked on the phone with a bit more emphasis on my personality and strengths.
    After both interviews have been completed (some stores in the company may require three: manager, associate manager, assistant manager) they said they would call me in a few days to let me know what was going on.

If you are interviewing with this company keep in mind that their dress code is business casual. Slacks (or a knee-length skirt if you choose) and a button down top are a must for the interview. NO SNEAKERS or torn up shoes. Heels would be my recommendation for the ladies, dress shoes for the gentlemen.

Interview Questions

• If a client comes in looking for a specific brand but you know that particular brand/shoe would not be the best fit for her/his needs how would you redirect them into the correct shoe without being overbearing?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Brown Shoe in February 2014.

Interview

It took some time to get a call back for an interview from the time I put my application in. The interview itself only lasted 15-30 minutes. The questions were worded very differently and not typical. They were challenging to answer, but luckily the interviewer understood they were difficult and helped to explain the questions as best they could.

Interview Questions

• Explain what you would do when you encounter an angry customer.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Brown Shoe in February 2014.

Interview

I was called the same day I applied to come in for an interview. Went in the next day to interview with the AM, was called a few days later for a second interview with the GM. GM told me she wanted to hire me as an AM (I applied for associate). She called her DM that day and he called me on Monday for a phone interview. Took over 2 weeks for them to get my references checked and then was offered an associate position with the opportunity to be promoted after the training period.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions, lots of "tell me about a time when you..." questions which are sometimes difficult to answer   Answer Question