Brown Shoe Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2014
Updated Jun 24, 2014

2.3

Receiving/Inventory Control Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Brown Shoe in January 2013.

Basic , be a temp deal with all the hard labor. If they like you and your work hard they will hire you just don't be late or miss much days

Interview Questions
    They tell what is . Nothing to argue about you wont get it .

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Brown Shoe in September 2011.

I called to follow up on the online application about a week after I applied. The manager was difficult to get ahold of, I set up an interview about two weeks later. I interviewed with the Store Manager and District Manager, both in the same week.

Interview Questions
    • There is a strong focus on loss prevention, they will want to know how you would deal with shoplifters. Be prepared to give personal instances and roleplaying.   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Brown Shoe in April 2014.

When you go into the store and ask for an application they hand you a brochure with what the company is looking for and a small section to fill out. Before you can bring the filled out portion back they require you to do an online application and questionnaire that takes about 30-45 minutes to do. If you pass that portion of the processes and get noticed they will call you for an interview.
    My first interview was with the store manager over the phone (I was moving across the country at the time). The normal questions were asked as well as questions pertaining directly to working in shoe sales. After speaking with her for about 30 minutes she said she liked my personality and would like me to do an in person interview with the associate manager after I arrived in town (which was only a week away).
    The in person interview lasted about 45 minutes and was basically a repeat of what was asked on the phone with a bit more emphasis on my personality and strengths.
    After both interviews have been completed (some stores in the company may require three: manager, associate manager, assistant manager) they said they would call me in a few days to let me know what was going on.

If you are interviewing with this company keep in mind that their dress code is business casual. Slacks (or a knee-length skirt if you choose) and a button down top are a must for the interview. NO SNEAKERS or torn up shoes. Heels would be my recommendation for the ladies, dress shoes for the gentlemen.

Interview Questions
    • If a client comes in looking for a specific brand but you know that particular brand/shoe would not be the best fit for her/his needs how would you redirect them into the correct shoe without being overbearing?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

I went into Famous Footwear just to shop and the manager asked me to apply. I applied later that day and had an interview a few days later. The manager was really nice and made the interview super comfortable. She offered me the job at the end of the interview and I started work just a few days after that.

Interview Questions
    • There were no extremely difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  South Portland, ME
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Portland, ME

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Brown Shoe in August 2012.

Hardly even talked about my qualifications. Mostly talked about where my District Manager went to college. I think that the online screening assessment is very accurate. And it is useful to finding peoples strengths.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Brown Shoe in August 2011.

Will be asked to briefly tell your story, what skills you have and how they can relate to this position. You may be required to "try" to sell certain accessory items to the interviewer to see if you have what it takes to sell their products.

Interview Questions
    There is really little to no negotiating.

Director, Talent Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through other source - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

I started with the company in 2001in the Madison, WI Famous Footwear office where I had been brought in as a consultant. The company hired me based on the good work I had done for them. From there I continued to be developed, mentored, promoted and rewarded for my work efforts until I left in 2011.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

-applied-interviewed-follow up phone call-then nothing.
    -they called for an additional interview--follow up phone call-then nothing again.
    -they called about weeks later and offered me the job.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to take a risk-the interviewers could not even explain the question to me. did not know how to answer.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Brown Shoe in February 2014.

I was called the same day I applied to come in for an interview. Went in the next day to interview with the AM, was called a few days later for a second interview with the GM. GM told me she wanted to hire me as an AM (I applied for associate). She called her DM that day and he called me on Monday for a phone interview. Took over 2 weeks for them to get my references checked and then was offered an associate position with the opportunity to be promoted after the training period.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions, lots of "tell me about a time when you..." questions which are sometimes difficult to answer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mesa, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Brown Shoe in March 2012.

I was asked a regular set of interview questions. I felt very respected.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult situation you have had to deal with regarding customers?   View Answer
    I was offered a position and a wage and I accepted. It was very quick and easy.

Worked for Brown Shoe? Contribute to the Community!