Brown Shoe

Getting the Interview

36 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – -applied-interviewed-follow up phone call-then nothing.
-they called for an additional interview--follow up phone call-then nothing again.
-they called about weeks later and offered me the job.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had to take a risk-the interviewers could not even explain the question to me. did not know how to answer.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Brown Shoe in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was called the same day I applied to come in for an interview. Went in the next day to interview with the AM, was called a few days later for a second interview with the GM. GM told me she wanted to hire me as an AM (I applied for associate). She called her DM that day and he called me on Monday for a phone interview. Took over 2 weeks for them to get my references checked and then was offered an associate position with the opportunity to be promoted after the training period.

Interview Question – Standard questions, lots of "tell me about a time when you..." questions which are sometimes difficult to answer   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Mesa, AZ

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Brown Shoe in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was asked a regular set of interview questions. I felt very respected.

Interview Question – What was the most difficult situation you have had to deal with regarding customers?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered a position and a wage and I accepted. It was very quick and easy.

Store Sales Manager Interview

Store Sales Manager
Coralville, IA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brown Shoe in May 2010.

Interview Details – Online application and resume submission. Fill out personality test. One on one interview with District Manager. After one on one with district manager second interview with another Store Sales manager. Talked about the basics of what the job entails and how you would be in charge of multiple employees and payroll.

Interview Question – Most difficult question was about What I thought was the most important aspect of retail/sales that will increase sales and how will I achieve that in this position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None they had already decided a final salary

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – My friend told me her boss was hiring and said it was an easy job, so I came in to apply. She asked me about my availability and how many hours I was looking for. I said I could work evenings and weekends, and that I didn't care too much about how many hours I worked. She had me fill out a miniature store application for her to keep, and then gave me directions for a complete online application to do later. She said she'd call if interested.
The online application consists of a personality, skills, and traits assessment. Takes about two hours. It was only a week I think before she called me in for an interview, and my friend said you've pretty much got the job if the manager calls you back to interview. I do not remember the questions asked, but she (the store manager) and her assistant manager basically told me what the day to day looked like and what I should expect and I said I was fine with it. If they asked me any real interview questions, they were easy and I think only gauged my personality. I am very outgoing and personable, and I think that's all they look for in their sales associates. Just be friendly, smart, and look like you're going somewhere in life. SMILE.

Interview Question – I remember the interview being short and easy. Appropriate for minimum wage job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was my first job, so I only put down minimum. Looking back, I wish I would have asked for $8.50 to start because I probably would have gotten $8 or so instead of $7.35.

Ask for more than you want. They are pretty negotiable. Plus, your raise in the future is a tiny percentage of what you're currently at, so you want to start high to end high.

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Brown Shoe in January 2009.

Interview Details – Filled out and turned in an application then recieved a call for an interview the same week. The interview was in the backroom of the store and was very informal. Many of the questions were based on my character. What type of grades I made in school, hobbies, etc.. Person conducting the interview offered to place me in location that was closer to my residence.

Interview Question – Would you be able to stop someone by yourself whom you saw stealing a pair of shoes?   View Answer

Assistant Sales Manager Interview

Assistant Sales Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – app online, people answers

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – Got a call and had an interview.

Interview Question – Sell me this pen   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – One interview and hired. The only question I remember was.... What is you pet peeve? It was a very simple and laid back interview. Not to much to say about it. But when you're being interviewed for a mindless job with no benefits and 10 to 20 hours a week making 8 bucks a hour you shouldn't expect it to be to hard!

Interview Question – There was none that I remember.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. I needed a job at the time so I took the $8.00.

Store Sales Manager Interview

Store Sales Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – Interview process stems from both picking up in store app and/or online application with a skills test. Next, manager filters through applicants and calls them in for interview. Then a one on one interview to discuss a multitude of things from experience to auto generated questions. Then it is left up to the manager to decide on a candidate. I did not interview perse for the store management job. I was promoted from within and had worked under the DM for 3 years prior. I did not have a formal interview.

Interview Question – What is your professional goals?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – My DM told me as a new manager that salary was based on store volume and management experience. She told me what she could offer me and it was better than I thought.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Brown Shoe

Worked for Brown Shoe? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brown Shoe interview questions and advice. All 36 interview reviews posted anonymously by Brown Shoe employees and interview candidates.