Brown Shoe

Average Difficulty
42 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Detroit, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Brown Shoe in September 2011.

Interview Details – I called to follow up on the online application about a week after I applied. The manager was difficult to get ahold of, I set up an interview about two weeks later. I interviewed with the Store Manager and District Manager, both in the same week.

Interview Question – There is a strong focus on loss prevention, they will want to know how you would deal with shoplifters. Be prepared to give personal instances and roleplaying.   View Answer

Assistant Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Brown Shoe in April 2014.

Interview Details – When you go into the store and ask for an application they hand you a brochure with what the company is looking for and a small section to fill out. Before you can bring the filled out portion back they require you to do an online application and questionnaire that takes about 30-45 minutes to do. If you pass that portion of the processes and get noticed they will call you for an interview.
My first interview was with the store manager over the phone (I was moving across the country at the time). The normal questions were asked as well as questions pertaining directly to working in shoe sales. After speaking with her for about 30 minutes she said she liked my personality and would like me to do an in person interview with the associate manager after I arrived in town (which was only a week away).
The in person interview lasted about 45 minutes and was basically a repeat of what was asked on the phone with a bit more emphasis on my personality and strengths.
After both interviews have been completed (some stores in the company may require three: manager, associate manager, assistant manager) they said they would call me in a few days to let me know what was going on.

If you are interviewing with this company keep in mind that their dress code is business casual. Slacks (or a knee-length skirt if you choose) and a button down top are a must for the interview. NO SNEAKERS or torn up shoes. Heels would be my recommendation for the ladies, dress shoes for the gentlemen.

Interview Question – If a client comes in looking for a specific brand but you know that particular brand/shoe would not be the best fit for her/his needs how would you redirect them into the correct shoe without being overbearing?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – I went into Famous Footwear just to shop and the manager asked me to apply. I applied later that day and had an interview a few days later. The manager was really nice and made the interview super comfortable. She offered me the job at the end of the interview and I started work just a few days after that.

Interview Question – There were no extremely difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

South Portland, ME

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Brown Shoe in August 2012.

Interview Details – Hardly even talked about my qualifications. Mostly talked about where my District Manager went to college. I think that the online screening assessment is very accurate. And it is useful to finding peoples strengths.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in three years?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Brown Shoe in August 2011.

Interview Details – Will be asked to briefly tell your story, what skills you have and how they can relate to this position. You may be required to "try" to sell certain accessory items to the interviewer to see if you have what it takes to sell their products.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is really little to no negotiating.

Director, Talent Management Interview

Director, Talent Management
Madison, WI

I applied through other source and interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – I started with the company in 2001in the Madison, WI Famous Footwear office where I had been brought in as a consultant. The company hired me based on the good work I had done for them. From there I continued to be developed, mentored, promoted and rewarded for my work efforts until I left in 2011.

Assistant Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – -applied-interviewed-follow up phone call-then nothing.
-they called for an additional interview--follow up phone call-then nothing again.
-they called about weeks later and offered me the job.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had to take a risk-the interviewers could not even explain the question to me. did not know how to answer.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Brown Shoe in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was called the same day I applied to come in for an interview. Went in the next day to interview with the AM, was called a few days later for a second interview with the GM. GM told me she wanted to hire me as an AM (I applied for associate). She called her DM that day and he called me on Monday for a phone interview. Took over 2 weeks for them to get my references checked and then was offered an associate position with the opportunity to be promoted after the training period.

Interview Question – Standard questions, lots of "tell me about a time when you..." questions which are sometimes difficult to answer   Answer Question

Mesa, AZ

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Brown Shoe in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was asked a regular set of interview questions. I felt very respected.

Interview Question – What was the most difficult situation you have had to deal with regarding customers?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered a position and a wage and I accepted. It was very quick and easy.

Store Sales Manager Interview

Store Sales Manager
Coralville, IA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brown Shoe in May 2010.

Interview Details – Online application and resume submission. Fill out personality test. One on one interview with District Manager. After one on one with district manager second interview with another Store Sales manager. Talked about the basics of what the job entails and how you would be in charge of multiple employees and payroll.

Interview Question – Most difficult question was about What I thought was the most important aspect of retail/sales that will increase sales and how will I achieve that in this position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None they had already decided a final salary

Worked for Brown Shoe? Contribute to the Community!