Brown Shoe Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

I went into Famous Footwear just to shop and the manager asked me to apply. I applied later that day and had an interview a few days later. The manager was really nice and made the interview super comfortable. She offered me the job at the end of the interview and I started work just a few days after that.

Interview Questions
    • There were no extremely difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Director, Talent Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through other source - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

I started with the company in 2001in the Madison, WI Famous Footwear office where I had been brought in as a consultant. The company hired me based on the good work I had done for them. From there I continued to be developed, mentored, promoted and rewarded for my work efforts until I left in 2011.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

-applied-interviewed-follow up phone call-then nothing.
    -they called for an additional interview--follow up phone call-then nothing again.
    -they called about weeks later and offered me the job.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to take a risk-the interviewers could not even explain the question to me. did not know how to answer.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Brown Shoe in April 2014.

When you go into the store and ask for an application they hand you a brochure with what the company is looking for and a small section to fill out. Before you can bring the filled out portion back they require you to do an online application and questionnaire that takes about 30-45 minutes to do. If you pass that portion of the processes and get noticed they will call you for an interview.
    My first interview was with the store manager over the phone (I was moving across the country at the time). The normal questions were asked as well as questions pertaining directly to working in shoe sales. After speaking with her for about 30 minutes she said she liked my personality and would like me to do an in person interview with the associate manager after I arrived in town (which was only a week away).
    The in person interview lasted about 45 minutes and was basically a repeat of what was asked on the phone with a bit more emphasis on my personality and strengths.
    After both interviews have been completed (some stores in the company may require three: manager, associate manager, assistant manager) they said they would call me in a few days to let me know what was going on.

If you are interviewing with this company keep in mind that their dress code is business casual. Slacks (or a knee-length skirt if you choose) and a button down top are a must for the interview. NO SNEAKERS or torn up shoes. Heels would be my recommendation for the ladies, dress shoes for the gentlemen.

Interview Questions
    • If a client comes in looking for a specific brand but you know that particular brand/shoe would not be the best fit for her/his needs how would you redirect them into the correct shoe without being overbearing?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Brown Shoe in February 2014.

I was called the same day I applied to come in for an interview. Went in the next day to interview with the AM, was called a few days later for a second interview with the GM. GM told me she wanted to hire me as an AM (I applied for associate). She called her DM that day and he called me on Monday for a phone interview. Took over 2 weeks for them to get my references checked and then was offered an associate position with the opportunity to be promoted after the training period.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions, lots of "tell me about a time when you..." questions which are sometimes difficult to answer   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

My friend told me her boss was hiring and said it was an easy job, so I came in to apply. She asked me about my availability and how many hours I was looking for. I said I could work evenings and weekends, and that I didn't care too much about how many hours I worked. She had me fill out a miniature store application for her to keep, and then gave me directions for a complete online application to do later. She said she'd call if interested.
    The online application consists of a personality, skills, and traits assessment. Takes about two hours. It was only a week I think before she called me in for an interview, and my friend said you've pretty much got the job if the manager calls you back to interview. I do not remember the questions asked, but she (the store manager) and her assistant manager basically told me what the day to day looked like and what I should expect and I said I was fine with it. If they asked me any real interview questions, they were easy and I think only gauged my personality. I am very outgoing and personable, and I think that's all they look for in their sales associates. Just be friendly, smart, and look like you're going somewhere in life. SMILE.

Interview Questions
    • I remember the interview being short and easy. Appropriate for minimum wage job.   Answer Question
    It was my first job, so I only put down minimum. Looking back, I wish I would have asked for $8.50 to start because I probably would have gotten $8 or so instead of $7.35.

Ask for more than you want. They are pretty negotiable. Plus, your raise in the future is a tiny percentage of what you're currently at, so you want to start high to end high.

Assistant Sales Manager Interview

app online, people answers

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Got a call and had an interview.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

One interview and hired. The only question I remember was.... What is you pet peeve? It was a very simple and laid back interview. Not to much to say about it. But when you're being interviewed for a mindless job with no benefits and 10 to 20 hours a week making 8 bucks a hour you shouldn't expect it to be to hard!

Interview Questions
    No negotiating. I needed a job at the time so I took the $8.00.

Store Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview process stems from both picking up in store app and/or online application with a skills test. Next, manager filters through applicants and calls them in for interview. Then a one on one interview to discuss a multitude of things from experience to auto generated questions. Then it is left up to the manager to decide on a candidate. I did not interview perse for the store management job. I was promoted from within and had worked under the DM for 3 years prior. I did not have a formal interview.

Interview Questions
    My DM told me as a new manager that salary was based on store volume and management experience. She told me what she could offer me and it was better than I thought.

Worked for Brown Shoe? Contribute to the Community!