Brown Shoe

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – I went into Famous Footwear just to shop and the manager asked me to apply. I applied later that day and had an interview a few days later. The manager was really nice and made the interview super comfortable. She offered me the job at the end of the interview and I started work just a few days after that.

Interview Question – There were no extremely difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Brown Shoe in August 2011.

Interview Details – Will be asked to briefly tell your story, what skills you have and how they can relate to this position. You may be required to "try" to sell certain accessory items to the interviewer to see if you have what it takes to sell their products.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is really little to no negotiating.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Brown Shoe in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was called the same day I applied to come in for an interview. Went in the next day to interview with the AM, was called a few days later for a second interview with the GM. GM told me she wanted to hire me as an AM (I applied for associate). She called her DM that day and he called me on Monday for a phone interview. Took over 2 weeks for them to get my references checked and then was offered an associate position with the opportunity to be promoted after the training period.

Interview Question – Standard questions, lots of "tell me about a time when you..." questions which are sometimes difficult to answer   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – My friend told me her boss was hiring and said it was an easy job, so I came in to apply. She asked me about my availability and how many hours I was looking for. I said I could work evenings and weekends, and that I didn't care too much about how many hours I worked. She had me fill out a miniature store application for her to keep, and then gave me directions for a complete online application to do later. She said she'd call if interested.
The online application consists of a personality, skills, and traits assessment. Takes about two hours. It was only a week I think before she called me in for an interview, and my friend said you've pretty much got the job if the manager calls you back to interview. I do not remember the questions asked, but she (the store manager) and her assistant manager basically told me what the day to day looked like and what I should expect and I said I was fine with it. If they asked me any real interview questions, they were easy and I think only gauged my personality. I am very outgoing and personable, and I think that's all they look for in their sales associates. Just be friendly, smart, and look like you're going somewhere in life. SMILE.

Interview Question – I remember the interview being short and easy. Appropriate for minimum wage job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was my first job, so I only put down minimum. Looking back, I wish I would have asked for $8.50 to start because I probably would have gotten $8 or so instead of $7.35.

Ask for more than you want. They are pretty negotiable. Plus, your raise in the future is a tiny percentage of what you're currently at, so you want to start high to end high.

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Brown Shoe in January 2009.

Interview Details – Filled out and turned in an application then recieved a call for an interview the same week. The interview was in the backroom of the store and was very informal. Many of the questions were based on my character. What type of grades I made in school, hobbies, etc.. Person conducting the interview offered to place me in location that was closer to my residence.

Interview Question – Would you be able to stop someone by yourself whom you saw stealing a pair of shoes?   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – Got a call and had an interview.

Interview Question – Sell me this pen   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – One interview and hired. The only question I remember was.... What is you pet peeve? It was a very simple and laid back interview. Not to much to say about it. But when you're being interviewed for a mindless job with no benefits and 10 to 20 hours a week making 8 bucks a hour you shouldn't expect it to be to hard!

Interview Question – There was none that I remember.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. I needed a job at the time so I took the $8.00.

Petaluma, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Brown Shoe in July 2012.

Interview Details – The process was simple, but tedious. You have to be persistent, don't just come in once. Come in and fill out the in-store and online applications and keep coming back once every week and keep checking in.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions arose   Answer Question

Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Brown Shoe in June 2009.

Interview Details – I took some hiring information from the cashier area inside the store and applied online. I got a call from them within a week and went through pre-screening on the phone and then got asked to come in for an interview. I found the staff to be very unprofessional. The supervisor who was supposed to interview me acted like she did not want to waste her time interviewing me and had someone else do it. The questions were not hard, just basic questions like why do you want to work here and a lot of questions about team work and how well I interact with others. I did well during the interview process but at the end I feel like it was a waste of time because he told me that they were not hiring for that particular location I had been interviewed at, but another location further away.

Interview Question – what was the best method you used to manage a large group project?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I applied for this particular location because it was close to home and I got offered a job in a inconvenient location. They also wanted credentials I felt was unnecessary like recommendations from my high school teachers.

Cranberry Township, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Brown Shoe in August 2008.

Interview Details – I applied once, never heard back, and waited a few months and applied again. From my second application, I got an interview. I came in and sat in the back office with the head manager, who asked me standard interview questions. I also had to "sell" her a pen to show off my sales skills. Fairly easy interview.

Interview Question – What would you do if a customer was unhappy or angry about a store experience?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was my first job, so I didn't try to negotiate.

Worked for Brown Shoe? Contribute to the Community!