Brown Shoe

Getting the Interview

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Brown Shoe in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was called the same day I applied to come in for an interview. Went in the next day to interview with the AM, was called a few days later for a second interview with the GM. GM told me she wanted to hire me as an AM (I applied for associate). She called her DM that day and he called me on Monday for a phone interview. Took over 2 weeks for them to get my references checked and then was offered an associate position with the opportunity to be promoted after the training period.

Interview Question – Standard questions, lots of "tell me about a time when you..." questions which are sometimes difficult to answer   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – My friend told me her boss was hiring and said it was an easy job, so I came in to apply. She asked me about my availability and how many hours I was looking for. I said I could work evenings and weekends, and that I didn't care too much about how many hours I worked. She had me fill out a miniature store application for her to keep, and then gave me directions for a complete online application to do later. She said she'd call if interested.
The online application consists of a personality, skills, and traits assessment. Takes about two hours. It was only a week I think before she called me in for an interview, and my friend said you've pretty much got the job if the manager calls you back to interview. I do not remember the questions asked, but she (the store manager) and her assistant manager basically told me what the day to day looked like and what I should expect and I said I was fine with it. If they asked me any real interview questions, they were easy and I think only gauged my personality. I am very outgoing and personable, and I think that's all they look for in their sales associates. Just be friendly, smart, and look like you're going somewhere in life. SMILE.

Interview Question – I remember the interview being short and easy. Appropriate for minimum wage job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was my first job, so I only put down minimum. Looking back, I wish I would have asked for $8.50 to start because I probably would have gotten $8 or so instead of $7.35.

Ask for more than you want. They are pretty negotiable. Plus, your raise in the future is a tiny percentage of what you're currently at, so you want to start high to end high.

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Brown Shoe in January 2009.

Interview Details – Filled out and turned in an application then recieved a call for an interview the same week. The interview was in the backroom of the store and was very informal. Many of the questions were based on my character. What type of grades I made in school, hobbies, etc.. Person conducting the interview offered to place me in location that was closer to my residence.

Interview Question – Would you be able to stop someone by yourself whom you saw stealing a pair of shoes?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – Got a call and had an interview.

Interview Question – Sell me this pen   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Brown Shoe.

Interview Details – One interview and hired. The only question I remember was.... What is you pet peeve? It was a very simple and laid back interview. Not to much to say about it. But when you're being interviewed for a mindless job with no benefits and 10 to 20 hours a week making 8 bucks a hour you shouldn't expect it to be to hard!

Interview Question – There was none that I remember.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. I needed a job at the time so I took the $8.00.

Petaluma, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Brown Shoe in July 2012.

Interview Details – The process was simple, but tedious. You have to be persistent, don't just come in once. Come in and fill out the in-store and online applications and keep coming back once every week and keep checking in.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions arose   Answer Question

Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Brown Shoe in June 2009.

Interview Details – I took some hiring information from the cashier area inside the store and applied online. I got a call from them within a week and went through pre-screening on the phone and then got asked to come in for an interview. I found the staff to be very unprofessional. The supervisor who was supposed to interview me acted like she did not want to waste her time interviewing me and had someone else do it. The questions were not hard, just basic questions like why do you want to work here and a lot of questions about team work and how well I interact with others. I did well during the interview process but at the end I feel like it was a waste of time because he told me that they were not hiring for that particular location I had been interviewed at, but another location further away.

Interview Question – what was the best method you used to manage a large group project?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I applied for this particular location because it was close to home and I got offered a job in a inconvenient location. They also wanted credentials I felt was unnecessary like recommendations from my high school teachers.

Cranberry Township, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Brown Shoe in August 2008.

Interview Details – I applied once, never heard back, and waited a few months and applied again. From my second application, I got an interview. I came in and sat in the back office with the head manager, who asked me standard interview questions. I also had to "sell" her a pen to show off my sales skills. Fairly easy interview.

Interview Question – What would you do if a customer was unhappy or angry about a store experience?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was my first job, so I didn't try to negotiate.

New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Brown Shoe in October 2010.

Interview Details – I met with one manager who told me I would have to come back to meet with the store manager. Both interviews were severally quick and easy I was offered the job right there

Interview Questions

Tallahassee, FL

The process took a day - interviewed at Brown Shoe in September 2009.

Interview Details – I went into the store to fill out an application, talked with some of the other sales associates and they were all very kind. A few days after turning in the application I received a call back for an interview with the assistant manager. It was an easy interview and in some ways didn't even seem like an interview. Another few days went by and I was called back and was offered a position. So the next week I started training which lasted for about the first 20 hours of working there.

Interview Question – What kind of magazines do you read monthly?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Brown Shoe

Worked for Brown Shoe? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brown Shoe Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Brown Shoe employees and interview candidates.