Brown University

Updated Dec 18, 2014
Updated Dec 18, 2014

2.6

Assistant Professor Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Brown University.

The process included two talks, one for teaching and one for research. By far the most difficult part of the process was an all department panel session (which was not very friendly). I got the sense that some interdepartmental tensions were taken out on job candidates, which is not cool.

Interview Questions
    • 5-10 yr research plan. I think its a bit much to ask, since such pathways are necessarily curving.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Through GRE scores, Toefl for non-US citizens, Under grad and Masters grades and letters of recommendation. There was no interview for me (in Physics). I would say having a publication in your undergrad or master will help.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Brown University.

An interview is a conversation between two or more people where questions are asked by the interviewer to elicit facts or statements from the interviewee. Interviews are a standard part of journalism and media reporting, but are also employed in many other situations, including qualitative research.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Brown University.

Was informal. I had two phone conversations with my future research mentor, we decided it was a good match, and I came. I was attracted to my department because it is extraordinary in research productivity, but it is also collaborative and supportive. It's a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate; salary is set by the T32 funding mechanism.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

There was an interview and many follow ups with administration. It took a few weeks due to having to coordinate with overall Brown HR. The interview was fair and I was asked about my resume and past experiences. I met with the people I would work with. We discussed the projects on which I would work.

Communications Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Brown University in December 2013.

One of the most intensive interview processes I've experienced but over all positive. First phase was a phone interview, followed by an on campus interview which required I develop a communications plan to be presented to the search committee. The rest of the afternoon included three interview sessions with various panels. Questions were straight forward and situational in nature. Everyone was very nice, down to earth and obviously extremely passionate about their jobs.

Research Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Brown University.

Have to be prepared. Interviewers are outgoing, friendly, open and ready to answer any questions about the jobs. But the competition is touch so preparation is a must.

Also, be ready to talk about research experience, whether you are applying from college or transfer form another school.

Be sure to show the liberal arts spirit. Be supportive and Be flexible.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Brown University.

only submited CV, transcript, three references.

Career Center Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Brown University in May 2013.

Application was online, directly to the supervisor. Phone screen was set up quickly for 10 days later. Following the initial phone screen, received a reply to the thank you note but no further update (since I turned out to be a no). Did not hear definitively until I reached out for my 2nd post-thank you follow-up.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your ideal manager... slight twist in this case because the interviewer would be the direct supervisor of the candidate, so you had to be very careful that your answer matched exactly what she was looking for. This required some quick thinking about any personal hints she had dropped during the conversation thusfar. (I didn't think the answer through thoroughly enough in realtime.)   Answer Question

Visiting Assistant Professor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Brown University.

Emailed resume to chair. Got a phone interview. Asked about research and teaching assistant experience.

Interview Questions
    • What a specific research is about in terms of data collection   Answer Question