Brown University Interview Questions in Providence, RI

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.9

Teaching Assistant for Machine Learning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in January 2015.

Interview

Took course and interacted with instructor, did very well in this course. Checked with instructor after this course and he agreed to give the TA position. I signed up for the TA and go to the TA hour and grade the homework.

Interview Questions

• What grade did you get for machine learning   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in March 2014.

Interview

It was an interview in the office with one of the directors. It was in person and one-on-one with the director of research. She was very kind and welcoming and asked many questions related to my resume and previous work experience. Additionally my education and relevant classes were also discussed. Many of the questions also related to leadership capabilities, times that I worked independently and research capability, as well as experience speaking with senior executives. Following the initial interview an offer of employment was made promptly.

Interview Questions

• What was a time that you demonstrated leadership?   1 Answer

Residential Peer Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in May 2013.

Interview

First a one-on-one, then a full night of group tasks and interview process. The process was fairly simple in the first round, where you get asked basic behavioral questions by current staff. The group process presents various scenarios and challenges to solve in a team of your competitors which you are evaluated by current Peer leaders as well as your potential boss . Very selective process!

Graduate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in March 2013.

Interview

My department and others set up a matching system to pair students with faculty over the summer months. Everyone who requested a research opportunity was matched with one. It was done through our department's head of the graduate program, who talked to students about their interests and then spoke to potential faculty matches during the spring term to determine who would need graduate assistants and to facilitate good matches. It began with filling out a form and then a conversation with the head of graduate studies, followed by a chat with the potential match before finalizing the arrangement by email with the department office staff in the loop. Very simple and easy.

Interview Questions

• Not much was unexpected or difficult, but we did have to choose how many weeks of the summer we were looking to be employed, and it was a question that depended on an educated guess about how much time we'd need for other summer projects. It was quite flexible in the end, though.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

interviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in August 2012.

Interview

I applied through my school and was accepted for an internship. They asked me a few questions about my background and studies. My future career factored into working here, as I am looking to work in the Archival / Cultural Institution industry. There was a short trial period to establish if I was qualified for the position.

Interview Questions

• What qualities do you have that would make you desirable for the position?   Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied on line and in less than 48 hours I had received a phone call from a very friendly individual. She explained the position to me and told me that the salary, due the position being a granted position, was less than I was currently making. Being that I was relocating to the area, I agreed to proceed with the process. We scheduled an interview for a Friday and agreed to do it over skype since I was still several states away. She told me that they wanted to fill the position very quickly. Friday arrived but Skype didn't work, so she and another woman called and we conducted the interview over the phone. It went well and I received positive feedback. I was the first of several interviews. They said they'd let me know in a week if I made it to the second round. Over a week passed, so I contacted them to see if a decision had been made. I had made it to the second round and needed to schedule an immediate skype interview with the professor running the grant. We had the skype interview which seemed rushed, after calling me 10 minutes late. He acted like he had much better things to do and did most of the talking. I didn't get a good feeling from him. They told me they'd make their final decision within the week. Again, over a week later, I contacted them and they told me they went with another individual who had more "higher education experience"

Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in December 2011.

Interview

We scheduled a face to face interview after a successful phone interview - but the interviewers didn't show up! Even worse, nobody would return my calls or emails looking for a reason, or a reschedule. Unbelievable! The phone interview went long, and was very pleasant. I spoke with two team members who were very nice, professional and eager to find the right fit for their team. We scheduled the live interview enthusiastically for the following week - to this day I have no idea what happened.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in February 2011.

Interview

Friendly, some profs asked very pointed questions, met great continuing students. Some bits were boring, but generally what I expected. Very nice tour of campus. Not too technical, but assessed my thoughts well. Asked about what other schools I was applying to. Very forthcoming about what the school may or may not offer.

Interview Questions

• How I would fit into the research portfolio at the school   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in February 2011.

Interview

The interview process started with an initial phone interview with two faculty members who then recommended me for an in-person interview. The in-person interview entailed meeting with faculty and staff members on an individual basis and as part of a group. Then I had to do a presentation in front of the entire department.

Information Systems Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in January 2011.

Interview

This was the longest interview process I had ever experienced. I received a phone call a month after I had applied on-line. The 1st interview was a 30 min screening with HR and CIS. The questions were regarding my experience and background. After 3 weeks, a 2nd interview was on-site from 9-2 meeting with 3 groups of 2 managers at each interview, an hour break, and 1 hr lunch with some of the interviewers. Again, it was more experience questions- not hard. The 3rd interview came about 3 weeks later. I met 2 upper management at the same time. This one was less than an hour- this one was more situational. Mixed questions- experience and what if type of questions. About 3-4 weeks later came in to meet hiring manager again (very casual- she was telling me the great things at Brown) as well as a new panel of 3. Their questions were more situational. Unfortunately, after 4 interviews meeting 11 people, I didn't get the job (runner up). Everyone was very nice and it seems like a great place to work. My advice - keep positive, be patient with their process, and keep looking in between their interviews.