Brown and Caldwell Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2014
Updated Sep 3, 2014

2.4

Engineer II Interview

I interviewed for the Engineer II position at the Cleveland office for their Compliance Division. A phone interview with HR was followed up with an informal interview over dinner. Another informal interview took place with the person to whom I would have reported to over lunch just to familiarize myself with the physical location of the office. The easiest and most informal interview process I have ever come across.

I received an offer and was able to negotiate reasonable terms. However, my background check turned up a driving record that was not to their standards, and due to the nature of travel associated with the job, the offer was subsequently rescinded 4 weeks after my initial interview. Never once throughout the interview process was I notified what qualified as a good driving record. I only had speeding tickets on mine (no DUIs, accidents, etc.). If you have more that TWO moving violations in the past THREE years, you need not apply with this company. Given the fact that they were in scramble-mode to fill this position, and for the fact that despite my qualifications they were unable to work something out with me, I consider it a blessing in disguise that I'm not working for this company today. Below is an excerpt of their policy, which I did not receive until after the fact.

A driving record which includes any of the following is unacceptable:
    · A suspended or revoked driver’s license.
    · A felony conviction, such as homicide or assault, with a motor vehicle.
    · An incident of driving while intoxicated, reckless driving, hit-and-run driving, illegal use of drugs, or
    negligent homicide within a five-year period.
    · Two or more chargeable accidents during a three-year period. Chargeable accidents are those where
    the driver is cited, or liability is assessed by the insurance company.
    · Three or more moving violations in a three-year period.
    · A combination of four or more moving violations and chargeable accidents in a three-year period.

103.10 Driving Record Review

Driving records of employees who regularly drive on behalf of the Company shall be obtained and monitored
    by the Corporate Risk Manager:

· Upon hire; and
    · On a periodic basis thereafter, as required by BC’s insurance carrier or as otherwise deemed necessary
    by the Corporate Risk Manager.

Unacceptable driving records (those which do not meet Company standards or Company’s insurance
    company standards) will be reviewed by the Corporate Risk Manager, BC’s Corporate Human Resources
    department, and regional BC management to determine appropriate remedial and/or disciplinary action. Such
    action may include one or more of the following:

· Refresher training utilizing resources deemed appropriate by the Corporate Risk Manager and
    employee’s supervisor.
    · Attending a formal defensive driving or safe driving course, such as those sponsored by the National
    Safety Council, or other classroom or behind-the-wheel course deemed appropriate by the Corporate
    Risk Manager.
    · Restriction of driving privileges.
    · Other measures, up to and including separation from employment.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate better terms on PTO and an additional $1000 in base salary.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Brown and Caldwell in April 2014.

Phone call from the Seattle office HR department. Phone interview was very comfortable. They checked my references. Then sent me in for an on-site interview. Was very comfortable. I think I did a good job. I have not heard back from them yet. Very nice people. Salt Lake City office

Engineer II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Brown and Caldwell.

The interview process consisted of driving to the office and meeting with a Vice-President, Project Manager, and peers.

The interview began with providing background information and answering specific technical questions about the resume. The second portion was meeting the Project Manager and answering a few behavioral questions, but the focus was more on the engineering approach taken to a potiential project. The last portion was meeting the young engineers which was low key and relaxing

Interview Questions
    • If there is a project or task you are handed and you do not know how to approach it, how would you handle the situation?   View Answer
    It was 2008... you took the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Brown and Caldwell.

A supervisor called me from a referral of a former coworker. They asked a few questions and was also interviewed by senior and junior level piers. The process was pretty informal and laid back. Unfortunately I don't remember too many of the questions except the one shown below in the unexpected question section.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Brown and Caldwell.

I submitted an application online about a month before I had my first call. The phone interview lasted about an hour (I was told it was going to be around 30-40 minutes) had a lot of detailed questions about my work. After the phone interview, I was sent 3 writing assessments. One for punctuation, one for editing and clarifying sentences, and one writing a sample PR. They require 5 references and they must be reached by email. After all of this is submitted (they provide about 3-4 days), then they will contact with a second, in-person interview after about a week.

Interview Questions
    • Give a detailed description of your proposal writing process.   Answer Question
    • Give examples of how much in-put you had on decision making conversations (i.e. did you help decide on any proposals).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Brown and Caldwell.

Met a senior VP whom I met on my campus and he wanted me to interview with his company.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Brown and Caldwell in May 2013.

4 interviews

salary and vacation

Electrical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Brown and Caldwell in April 2013.

I had one phone interview and during the interview I was asked simple questions about my character. Not too technical. The majority of the interview I was given a description of what i'd do.

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Brown and Caldwell in July 2010.

Great!

Principal Hydrogeologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Brown and Caldwell in January 2010.

Talked to a headhunter then met the mentors many times. They seemed very sincere that they would help me in my new position, but after I joined the company, I was left high and dry.