Buffalo Exchange

Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Buffalo Exchange in August 2013.

Interview Details – Three interview process. First interview I was asked about my past jobs, what job I liked best and why, good customer service experiences, bad customer service experiences, etc. Filled out a paper asking to check off adjectives I felt described me. They asked about my style and where I shop, how I learn about upcoming fashion, what trends I've noticed this year and how they differ from the previous year. Then they showed me pieces of clothing and asked if I would pass or buy them in if I were a buyer. The second interview I was asked to pick from the racks 3 pieces I though would sell fast, 3 I thought would sell slowly and 3 I thought would not sell and explain my choices. The third interview was a run down of the position and after they offered me the job I was asked to sit and read a huge manual.

Interview Question – What do you see as recent fashion trends and what do you see as trends from last year that are no longer in style?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There's no negotiation, cashiers start at $8.95 per hour.

Independent Buyer Interview

Independent Buyer
Brooklyn, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Buffalo Exchange in May 2011.

Interview Details – Three Interviews. Usually takes about a month to get hired. Make sure to have a big personality. Name magazines and blogs you read. Name shops you frequent - and give a diversified range. Know the price-points of items. Know the desirability of items. Know cuts on items. Make sure you have a background in fashion or retail.

Interview Question – Knowing all labels and where you can buy them from and what you would price it for in the store.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they tell you what the job is and you can negotiate pay.

Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Buffalo Exchange in November 2013.

Interview Details – I had to pick which clothes to buy from a bag of clothes they prepared.

Interview Question – What's your weakness?   Answer Question

Independent Buyer Interview

Independent Buyer

Interviewed at Buffalo Exchange

Interview Details – 3 interviews, personality test, questions on style, books, music, etc.

Interview Question – how do you discribe your personal style.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – first job, minimum wage.

Buyer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Buffalo Exchange.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call for an interview about a week later. The preliminary interview was conducted by 2 associate managers. I was asked to choose 3 pieces off the salesfloor that I thought would sell quickly, and 3 that would sell slowly before beginning the interview. They asked questions about customer service as was to be expected.

Interview Question – Interviewing to be a buyer means showcasing your knowledge of current fashion and where your personal interests in style lie. They asked me to name three current trends, and asked what some of my favorite style websites/blogs were.   Answer Question

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Buffalo Exchange in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied in person and online, responding to a craigslist posting. A month later I was called in for an interview. Part one of a three interview process. I arrived early and the interview was one on one with a different manager every time. Each interview lasted for about an hour. After the first interview I was immediately scheduled for a second.

Interview Question – Describe an experience where you received excellent customer service and a time where you received poor customer service. Describe the up and coming trends and several fashion blogs that you follow. Describe your personal style.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received a more gainful employment opportunity

Brooklyn, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Buffalo Exchange in June 2012.

Interview Details – Long process. 3 separate interviews. The first you do a test of what you would buy, the second is a personality test, and the third "interview" is when they offer you the job.

Interview Question – Tell about a time you dealt with a difficult customer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotation.

Very Easy Interview

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Tucson, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Buffalo Exchange.

Interview Details – it was a long and very awkward interview, or maybe the interviewer was just an awkward person. called me up the night before the interview asking me if i was available for some questions. came in the next day. asked me some questions about my retail and management experience. gave me a bag full of clothes and asked me to which items i would buy for the store, which ones i wouldnt, and why. i aced that. she then gave me hypothetical situations for a manager. if so and so was to do this how would you respond kind of thing. nearing the end of the interview i took a small personality test and was told about the pay. she told me she would love to interview me again and would call me in the next couple of days to set up that second interview, but she must be fair and get through the other first round of applicants. nearly a week went by, and i called her, she apologized and said that she had more applicants than expected and promised to call me the following monday. never did. thats ok though- wasnt exactly jazzed about working there- just needed a job.

Interview Question – other than punishing your employees, give me a situation where you think you were fair as a manager and handled a situation without being over bearing and how would you kept that employee and others from letting the situation weigh down their performance.   Answer Question

Buyer

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Buffalo Exchange in May 2013.

Interview Details – The store is extremely chaotic and when asking someone other than a manager about hiring they can be a bit defensive as if it is their job you are taking. When submitting my application, I briefly spoke with a manager and was set up with an interview later that week. After my initial interview I was called back for a 2nd interview. In this interview, I was asked to pick from a pile of clothing which ones I would buy for the store and why. It was also really weird to have one of the managers to exam my purse. I understand that it's a fashion store, but I found that a bit inappropriate. During the 3rd interview, you have to pick clothing from the floor that you think will sell fast and 3 items you think would sell slowly. You fill out a personality activity form and basically wait to hear back from them. You don't have to dress extremely professional and it is encouraged to reflect your personal style. Depending on the location and their need, the hiring process could be extremely fast. I was already on the next employee schedule shortly after my final interview.

Interview Question – What TV shows or Movies have you seen with great fashion?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had to basically have open availability.

Floor Assistant Interview

Floor Assistant
Chelsea, NY

Interview Details – Went into the store in person to hand in my application, the manager was very sweet (like most of the people that work there) and looked over my availability and asked me some questions on the spot. Scheduled an interview for a week later - the interview was with one other person. We were asked to fill a questionnaire that listed traits or characteristics. Interview was pretty relaxed and the questions were mostly about customer service/experience and fashion. We were told at the end of the interview process more details about the position, our pay, benefits, the 90 day evaluation period, and that it was a three interview process to get the job.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you? - I always hated this question in interviews   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Buffalo Exchange

Worked for Buffalo Exchange? Contribute to the Community!