Build-A-Bear

Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.3

33 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Bear Builder Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

The interview was just me and two managers. They basically asked me my experience with children, selling merchandise, etc. They were very friendly and sweet. They told me eight then and there they liked me and would like to offer the job!

Interview Questions
  • They picked up a random bear in a costume and had me sell it to them.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Build-A-Bear

Bear Builder Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview is pretty standard. I would suggest coming up with ways to interact with kids. Also, they are very focused on the selling of multiple products on a bear so I would try to "sell" that in the interview!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Build-A-Bear in November 2014.

It was a group interview, maybe about 20 of us in the group, almost all younger girls (between 18-25). They asked a few questions and then we had to perform a skit. They were reslly strict about hair color, nail color, and tattoos at this location. Several people were asked to leave in the middle of the process.

No negotiations.

Bear Builder Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

After filling out a online application I was contacted 3 weeks later and asked to go into the store and fill out an application in person and to meet a manager. When I did this the manager scheduled me for another interview the next week. It was a basic interview with another manager and I could tell they were just trying to see if I had a positive attitude or not. After this I was scheduled for a second interview with a third manager and it was pretty much the same thing, they even asked some of the same questions the last manager did. I was called a week later to take a simple personality test on the computer and was told that they could only hire me if I passed the test. I passed it and was sent to a final interview with the main manager and was hired on the spot. It was the longest interview process for a part time job I had ever been through but it was well worth it. All the questions were the normal interview questions it was nothing to hard. They just want to make sure that your positive and bubbly and can work well in a team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Build-A-Bear.

The first interview is a group interview. It's pretty laid back, I had about 13 people in my group. When it began the managers introduced themselves and our first activity began. We had to ask the person in front of us three things, 1. Why do you want to work here, 2. What's somethibg unique about you, 3. Tell me something random about you, and then we had to introduce them to the group. They next asked us to give them a positive and a negative about working in a group. Use personal experience they can tell if you're just making it up as you go. They then ask you to describe a time when you brightened up someone's day. Then they want to see your ability to work in a group, they put you into a group and I don't know if the activity is randomized but during my interview our group activity was to create a commercial. So just make sure they see how goofy and cheery you are and ask lots of questions so that they'll notice you.

When the interview is through if they like you they'll make an appointment for your second interview or if it's possible you can ask if you can take it that same day.

The second interview is you just talking to a manger theyll ask you a few questions and just try to be as honest as possible. They'll then ask you to take a questionnaire which just tests if you're the right fit for the job just answer honestly and you'll be fine!

No negotiation. I was hired for 9/hr

Bear Builder Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

The first interview was a group one. All the candidates sat in a circle in the back of the store and were asked to pick 1-3 hearts from a basket. Most picked 1 heart while myself and one other person picked 3 (we were both offered the jobs btw). We got to say facts about ourselves depending on how many hearts we had. Since I had 3 I got to say more about myself than the other candidates. Afterwards it was an open question and answer between the hiring manager and us. Anyone could speak during this and of course I spoke up a lot and answered more questions. Finally we were told to march to the front of the store, pick a bear we loved and skip back to the back. When we got to the back we had to talk about why we picked the bear we did.

I was called back not even an hour after the group interview to schedule a one on one interview. During the interview we talked more about the company, why I wanted to work there and what I thought I could bring to build a bear.

They originally said that they would consider me, but they had one more person to interview and that they might have to call me back for seasonal. I put it out there that I would definitely be interested in working at build a bear and if I had to I would wait til seasonal interviews started. Long story short I put myself out there and made it known that I was serious about this job and that I wanted to work there and would wait. They called me back the next day and offered me the position. :)

Interview Questions
    • What do you think the most important thing is here at build a bear for the customer and us?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I was hired at 8 dollars an hour.

Bear Builder Interview

Interview was fun and nice. It was really laid back and seemed like a group talk. It was pretty nice and cool. I felt no pressure at all. Very little maybe because of the group interview.

Interview Questions
    • Maybe the fact that you were in a group interview. No difficult questions.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Raleigh, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear in May 2014.

Applied in person and got a call back 3 days later for a group interview. I now have an interview for a one on one manager interview. Their third step is checking your references. They like to make sure that you are crazy and know how to have fun while still respecting the kids and the parents. Be sweet and compassionate but do not be fake. They can definitely tell. If you love kids and are right for the company you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    • Having to "sell" something to the manager was the hardest part for me because you're put on the spot. Be calm. Be funny.   Answer Question

Bear Builder Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Called about 3 days after applying online. Set up a group interview for the following week. Interview was with a group and lasted about 20 minutes. Pretty informal and laid back.

Interview Questions
    • Had to pretend to talk to a child and go through the bear building process.   Answer Question

Bear Builder Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear in June 2013.

The store is under renovation at a mall, and there was a 'Now Hiring' sign, so I applied online. I received an email from the manager about 1-2 weeks later to schedule an appointment. My interview was two days later at 10 am. Because the store still isn't ready our interview was in a restaurant in the mall (The mall just opened at 10, so no one was there at to eat yet). The interview was a group interview: there was 6 of us and there were 3 managers interviewing us. We all bonded so well with each other including the managers that we already felt like a "family". The questions asked were "What are the benefits/challenges of working as a team?", "Think of a time where you had to multitask?, "Name a mistake you made, what did you learn and how did you fix it?", "What is a recent goal that you set for yourself?" They also split us up into two groups of three. We had put a short performance together to show our creative side (the performances were no longer than 1 minute). At the end we had to fill out a 100 question survey. Depending on the managers and how you answer your questions, the interview will be fun and enjoyable, so just relax...and be bubbly and smile. Show your personality through your answers because that is what sticks out to them, especially since you're going to be working with kids.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected: What was a recent goal you set for yourself?   Answer Question
    They offered me 8.50/hour. Did not negotiate because: it is over minimum wage in new york, its my first job, and I'm only working part-time.