Build-A-Bear

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in July 2012.

Interview Details – Initially a group interview which is very fun and turn based. Includes thinking on your feet to come up with sales pitches, "heart ceremonies", and how to handle certain in store situations (such as a crying child or a damaged product) they will most likely have you dance and sing in the store or mall to prove you are fine with being goofy and creative in public (it's not as bad as it sounds). If you pass group interview rounds, you'll traditionally interview with an assistant manager and if they like you, you'll interview with the store manager who either accepts or declines your application officially

Interview Question – "Go pick a display animal, split into 2 teams, and sing a nursery rhyme while dancing with your animal."   Answer Question

West Raleigh, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in person and got a call back 3 days later for a group interview. I now have an interview for a one on one manager interview. Their third step is checking your references. They like to make sure that you are crazy and know how to have fun while still respecting the kids and the parents. Be sweet and compassionate but do not be fake. They can definitely tell. If you love kids and are right for the company you should be fine.

Interview Question – Having to "sell" something to the manager was the hardest part for me because you're put on the spot. Be calm. Be funny.   Answer Question

Sugar Land, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in April 2010.

Interview Details – I had a group interview to start where we did games and basically showed we could be silly. If we did well we had an individual interview with the manager which can include singing, making up songs, dancing, showing them a heart ceremony, stuffing a bear..etc. If you do well with this you get to take their test to make sure you are right for them and then they either hire you or they don't.

Interview Question – Make up a song about a panda...GO!   Answer Question

Minnetonka, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in August 2011.

Interview Details – Getting hired was easy. They will always do a group interview and most of the time if you just smile and act happy. You will get hired. They don't consider you work experience or anything really.

Interview Question – Give three adjectives that best describes you that fits best at build a bear.   Answer Question

Bear Builder

I applied online and interviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview Details – Called about 3 days after applying online. Set up a group interview for the following week. Interview was with a group and lasted about 20 minutes. Pretty informal and laid back.

Interview Question – Had to pretend to talk to a child and go through the bear building process.   Answer Question

Bear Builder

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in June 2013.

Interview Details – The store is under renovation at a mall, and there was a 'Now Hiring' sign, so I applied online. I received an email from the manager about 1-2 weeks later to schedule an appointment. My interview was two days later at 10 am. Because the store still isn't ready our interview was in a restaurant in the mall (The mall just opened at 10, so no one was there at to eat yet). The interview was a group interview: there was 6 of us and there were 3 managers interviewing us. We all bonded so well with each other including the managers that we already felt like a "family". The questions asked were "What are the benefits/challenges of working as a team?", "Think of a time where you had to multitask?, "Name a mistake you made, what did you learn and how did you fix it?", "What is a recent goal that you set for yourself?" They also split us up into two groups of three. We had put a short performance together to show our creative side (the performances were no longer than 1 minute). At the end we had to fill out a 100 question survey. Depending on the managers and how you answer your questions, the interview will be fun and enjoyable, so just relax...and be bubbly and smile. Show your personality through your answers because that is what sticks out to them, especially since you're going to be working with kids.

Interview Question – Unexpected: What was a recent goal you set for yourself?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me 8.50/hour. Did not negotiate because: it is over minimum wage in new york, its my first job, and I'm only working part-time.

Peabody, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in July 2010.

Interview Details – I went in and asked for an application, for some reason they were out of paper ones so they gave me the website where I could apply. A few months later I got a call asking me to come in for a group interview. there were four of us, we went around the circle answering the same questions one at a time. They were the typical interview questions about former jobs, what we liked and disliked about them and our strengths and weaknesses, but the last question was interesting. We were asked if we were any animal what animal would we be and why. I got a call a few weeks after the interview to come in and take the Reid Survey, and a few weeks after that I got a call saying I was hired and asking if I could come in the following week and fill out the paperwork, and then the next week I was on the schedule and started training.

Interview Question – If you were an animal which animal would you be and why?   Answer Question

Anchorage, AK

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in June 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process is thorough. Usually, there are three interviews. First, a phone interview. Second, a group interview. Third, a one-on-one interview with one of the managers. Once you've had a one-on-one interview with one of the managers you are asked to fill out a scantron sheet and answer questions from a test booklet based on ethics and such. The group interview was done in the form of a party for mine. We were each told to pick out a bear and then we stuffed it and had to answer questions about why we picked that bear and what made it special and we got asked things like what we like to do in our spare time as well as what we do to make other people in our lives feel happy and special. The one-on-one interview was a bit more conventional asking about my experiences and what I'm good at as well as why I want to work there. I didn't feel pressured or anything. Of course, it has to be a very thorough process as we work very closely with children of all ages.

Interview Question – The most difficult questions for me were what am I good at as well as what are my flaws. Those questions had made me draw a blank as I had no previous work experience that wasn't volunteer work.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't really able to do any negotiation. I started at $9.00 per hour because I had no previous work experience. However, once I was there for a year we did a yearly appraisal of my work and I was able to get a raise to $9.26. It is above minimum wage, which is better than I was expecting for a job in the mall.

Bear Builder

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview Details – Started off as a group interview with a manager and two other people. It was a fun, relaxed interview and they asked a lot of personal questions (what kind of music do you listen to, what do you do for fun, etc.) I didn't hear anything after a week so I called them and they set up a one on one interview for me with the store manager. It was a typical interview without any surprises. A day after the one on one interview I got a job offer. Persistance was key.

Interview Question – I had no prior job experience and I was asked "Why do you think you would be good at sales without having any prior experience?"   Answer Question

Providence, RI

I applied online - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in November 2012.

Interview Details – i had never had work experience before so this was a great start. I had 1 interview and recieved a call back in less than a week. I actually started about 2 weeks later though. The questions where simple such as "have you worked with kids." "what do you like about working with kids." "how are you working with a team.

The team that I worked with had many years of experience under there belt and were hardworking, very friendly and accepting of a new team member.

Interview Question – How would you rate your personality on a daily basis.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Was not able to negotiate starting wages but was able to work out a very flexible schedule.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Build-A-Bear

Worked for Build-A-Bear? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Build-A-Bear Bear Builder interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Build-A-Bear employees and interview candidates.