Build-A-Bear

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dayton, OH

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in June 2012.

Interview Details – 4 or 5 interviews over a period of a month. Hugely stressful when job seeking to avoid double-booking. There were also a series of tests that had to be taken which seemed easy to pass with a little common sense.

Interview Question – Nothing too hard- management questions that were easy to handle.   Answer Question

Chief Workshop Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in August 2010.

Interview Details – I was recruited and they didn't have many other options. So it was pretty easy aside from a test.

Interview Question – Do you thrive under pressure? How would you coach an underperformer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They are paying less and less and their payroll is shrinking. I think I was one of the last ones to get a really great salary.

Nashville, TN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview Details – First Interview is by phone. Most questions are the standard answer, straight from the page type.
Second was with the District manager(bearatory leader) and another exec. Questions are more detailed and give you a chance to interject how you handle things.
Final interview was with a local Store manager and is just a formality, The next step is a series of Psychological exams.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. All interviewers seemed very inexperienced. The most important thing is to act like a cheerleader the whole time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I gave them a very narrow range and they offered me the lower. I countered with the higher and they made that offer.

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in April 2009.

Interview Details – it was weird

Interview Question – why should we hire you?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Chief Workshop Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview Details – Work through a set list of questions, you will have a telephone screening interview or what you think is a general chat but the interviewer is looking for key things between 2-3 face to face interviews, a battery of tests that will take between 4-6 hours, once that is reviewed unknown to the candidate it goes to a review board in the USA where the trading manger or managing director plus the area manger will go over the interviews you have had with them, plus your test results! If you measure up you will then be offered a position! (Be prepared for the long haul on the interview process!)

Interview Question – Usually things like explain a time where you have negatively impacted on your team .. Usually throws candidates .. Because they don't want to admit that they ever have.. But if you acknowledge you have and the way you rectified it and learned from it you will get major brownie points!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Gave me a couple of days to accept the offer, they offered me more than I was expecting so no negotiation required.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Build-A-Bear

Worked for Build-A-Bear? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Build-A-Bear Chief Workshop Manager interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Build-A-Bear employees and interview candidates.