Build-A-Bear Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minnetonka, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Build-A-Bear (Minnetonka, MN).

Interview

I had a Group interview on the floor of the backroom, was called in for a second one-on-one interview after that took about 30 minutes, and was called about 4 days later that got the job after the final one-on-one interview

Interview Questions

• If you could make any job fun, how would you do it and what job? Why do you like build a bear? Tell us about yourself.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear (Anaheim, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email a few days later informing me that they held group interviews Tuesdays and Thursdays at the store. When I arrived, they had me fill out a paper application and then took the 14 of us to a small area about 100 feet from the store. We were then split into two groups of 7 and asked to come up with a short skit. After we performed, the person interviewing us took us one by one to tell us whether or not we were moving on. We then took a personality test and were sent home. They called that night to tell us if we were moving on to a second interview, this time one-on-one.

Interview Questions

• What was one time that you went out of your way for a friend or co-worker?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant/Bear Builder Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview

I went and applied in-store, and I talked with the manager a bit about my application and she invited me to a group interview the next week. I had to go through 2 interviews. The first was a group interview with one of the store managers and the second was a one-on-one interview with the general manager.
    The first interview was very casual, it was only me and two other girls and the store manager. We first introduced ourselves and said a few things ourselves, like our hobbies etc. We all sat on the floor and were asked a series of questions, and we were told just to volunteer to answer them. After the questions were over, we each had a chance to pick out a bear and an outfit. (My advice to you is pick out a ton of stuff. like 4-6 items, not including the bear.) Once the interview was done, we were told they would contact us for a second interview.
    I got a call back about 4 days later and went in for my second interview the next week. I met with the general manager who asked me even more questions, and wanted to know what my ambitions were. After she was done interviewing me, I had to take a "personality quiz", which would determine if they could hire me or not. This quiz is nothing to stress over, it was very easy and asked a bunch of questions about if you use drugs or get into fights easily.
    They called me the next day and offered me a job.

Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Build-A-Bear (Temecula, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

It was a group interview, there was eight people in total in the group interview. The manager had us walk outside of the store and we had the interview outside of the store. It was in the mall so we were in the walkway of the mall. Not blocking anyone though. The manager told us to do the chicken dance, and then after the dance he asked us questions. You weren't forced to answer very single one he asked but it just looks better when you do. He asked us five questions in total. After he's done asking us the questions he asked if there were any questions for him. After that he just lets you go. And he said you would get a call in a week.

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a big mistake in your life what was it and what did you learn from t?   Answer Question

Bear Builder Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Build-A-Bear in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and the next day I walked in the store with a hard copy of my resume because I feel like that is the right thing to do when applying for jobs. I got a call the day after I brought in my resume telling me I had an interview. There was no phone interview and when I got to the store I was expecting a group interview, but we went straight to one-on-one. The interviewer seemed to really like me and told me I just had to take the personality test which she also mentioned that I'd pass with flying colors... that made me a little less nervous. I took the test, it was pretty much common sense, but make sure you're honest. If you make yourself seem TOO perfect they'll know you're just playing them. I got a call as soon as they got the results back which was a day later and was offered the job.

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Build-A-Bear (Roseville, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied on a Wednesday and was called the next day to come in that evening for a group interview. It was a lot of fun and really laid back and relaxed. We first went around the room talking about ourselves and took turns answering questions. Then we were asked to come up with a game to play. They were relatively busy so the interviewer had to keep stepping away. The group I was in was relatively chatty so we were there for about 2 hours and 45 minutes. The next day I was called back for a one on one interview that same day as well. I interviewed with Mark and then Julia. I was so nervous and excited to work at Build a Bear that I kind of panicked. At the end they had me take an online personality test and told me I would hear from them by Wednesday. I haven't heard anything back so I'm guessing they moved on with someone else.

Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Build-A-Bear (Temecula, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I read some interview experiences on here to prepare for my interview at my local Build-A-Bear. I was expecting a fun, high energy and unique interview experience. It was the complete opposite. The manager asked very basic questions. I arrived early and he told me to wait until the interview time. He seemed like he didn't want to interview anyone. My interview was a group setting, there was about 5 other girls. He gave us name tags and made us form a circle around him outside of the store. He then asked us four questions. None of them were related to the job/he didn't get to know us. This interview was basically who was the loudest/bubbliest. I was really disappointed with this interview.

Interview Questions

• What is one mistake you have made and what have you learned from it?   Answer Question
    • Have you worked in a group before and how did it benefit you?   Answer Question
    • what are two good qualities about you? what is one bad quality about you?   Answer Question

Bear Builder Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview

Fun, energetic, they want to know your personality the most. Don't say you want the job because you like kids! You should like kids if you're applying. Otherwise just have fun with it.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview

I had a seasonal position so they gave me the minimal hours. But I had a great team of coworkers! They're really flexible with school hours as well and considerate with wanting days off

Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Build-A-Bear (Anaheim, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied on a Tuesday and got an email the next week at noon telling me to come in on Tuesday or Thursday for a group interview at 4:30. Since it was Tuesday and I had some free time I decided to just get changed and go the same day. When I got there they handed me an application and sent me outside to fill it out with the rest of the candidates. Then we were taken around to the side of the store where they told us what Build a Bear's policies are, including hair and nail colors (only natural shades because they're on Disney property). They had us do a skit with a bear and since there were only six of us we worked together to create a story around the bear in under 10 mins while he looked over our applications. It was a lot of fun. After the skit we were called one by one for an overview of our app and then sent upstairs to do a personality quiz basically making sure we wouldn't steal or do drugs on the job. After completing it I informed them I was done and they told me they'd call me possibly the same day to tell me if I got the job. They never called me though and it's been 2 or more weeks since then, so that was a bit unprofessional. I could've handled the rejection!