Build-A-Bear

Getting the Interview

75 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Workshop Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview Details – Group interviews with a followup one-on-one interview and an assessment if approved after both interviews. Group interviews usually have 4-7 candidates. The focus of the group interview is to gauge personality, determine if the individual is a good fit for the company as well as the team. Once approved after the group interview, a one on one interview and online assessment will take place.

Interview Question – Questions vary. Anything from Leadership experience, conflict resolution to guest service as well as hobbies can be discussed.   Answer Question

Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview Details – Was awarded an on spot interview, and it was very informal. Manager was very kind and helpful. Questions were very basic and they were strictly behavioral based questions. I found out within 3 days whether or not I received the position(which I did).

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you had a problem with a coworker and what did you do to resolve this problem?   Answer Question

Associate Workshop Manager Interview

Associate Workshop Manager

Interviewed at Build-A-Bear

Interview Details – * Group interview.
* Second individual interview.
* Third individual interview.

Interview Question – * Behavioral questions.   Answer Question

IT Position Interview

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in August 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the HR Recuiter on the phone first. Then came in and interviewed with HR, the team lead, and the director the first interview. I then came back and interviewed with the CIO and CEO the second interview. Then I took a psych eval.

Interview Question – If you saw an employee stealing money and you knew they needed money for essentials would you report them?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They do not negotiate time off. I negotiated the salary through the HR recruiter. The negotiation phase took only one day and was painless.

District Manager Interview

District Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in September 2012.

Interview Details – Very detailed interview process involving all major executives. Expect to take a detailed on line assessment which is scrutinized by a corporate psychologist. They take the assessment VERY seriously, and while they may not admit it, it is a pass fail process. A balance of drive for results and a soft touch with the people skills are expected.

Interview Question – Tell us how you involved your entire team on reaching your goals.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Not much wiggle room after an offer.

Fresno, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview Details – was very fast and easy and called right away.

Bear Builder Interview

Bear Builder
Sugar Land, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in April 2010.

Interview Details – I had a group interview to start where we did games and basically showed we could be silly. If we did well we had an individual interview with the manager which can include singing, making up songs, dancing, showing them a heart ceremony, stuffing a bear..etc. If you do well with this you get to take their test to make sure you are right for them and then they either hire you or they don't.

Interview Question – Make up a song about a panda...GO!   Answer Question

Chief Workshop Manager Interview

Chief Workshop Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in August 2010.

Interview Details – I was recruited and they didn't have many other options. So it was pretty easy aside from a test.

Interview Question – Do you thrive under pressure? How would you coach an underperformer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They are paying less and less and their payroll is shrinking. I think I was one of the last ones to get a really great salary.

Northridge, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, got call back within the week. Went to first interview which was group style. They went through and asked us pretty laid back questions, such as "What do you do in your free time?" The goal of that seems to be if you are able to hold a conversation--as suggestion, I would not go on and on about how you have a passion for working with kids; it was highly overrated and overused by everybody before me--instead, I gave a more creative "fun" answer which I believe helped me stand out and got me a second interview.

At first interview, they selected a few of us randomly (pretty sure it's not really that random), and I was one who had to fill out long questionnaire (took about 20 minutes of bubble-filling) regarding random legal stuff (are you hispanic, average family income, etc.)

After that, got call to come in for a second interview--this is where you need to be careful. They require you to wear their uniform, and observe/interact for a couple of hours. In my case, another girl and I had to assist in a birthday party. So I went out and purchased white sneakers and khaki pants and showed up, where we two interview candidates had to help out as this birthday party--I felt SO bad for the parent paying for this large party, because the two of us who were not employed by the company were learning on the fly and trying to act like we did this a lot. We helped out the entire party time, then were given that second interview based on our interactions. Here, the real interview questions came such as availability and expectations. Long story short here, after purchasing new clothes and providing free labor for a couple of hours, my availability did not match their needs. Save yourself the trouble, and verify if your availability is a problem for them right at first interview.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Build a Bear?   View Answer

Bear Builder Interview

Bear Builder
Minnetonka, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in August 2011.

Interview Details – Getting hired was easy. They will always do a group interview and most of the time if you just smile and act happy. You will get hired. They don't consider you work experience or anything really.

Interview Question – Give three adjectives that best describes you that fits best at build a bear.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Build-A-Bear

Worked for Build-A-Bear? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Build-A-Bear interview questions and advice. All 75 interview reviews posted anonymously by Build-A-Bear employees and interview candidates.