Build-A-Bear Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2015
Updated Mar 21, 2015

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

Interview was easy. Mostly wanted to know your background/ how you would handle certain situations with kids. Very relaxed. Interviewed at food court. Interviewed by two managers. Basically told me I was hired at the end of the interview and had me do an ethics survey. Called me back a few days later telling me I got the job.

Customer Service Interview

Phone call and personal interview, meet with several people. a week went by and then they had difficulties locating references as the past company I had worked for went out of business. Finally we could track down the information. everyone was very pleasant and patience to work with

Interview Questions
    • What is your worst trait and why, they wanted details on what you are not good at so be prepared to list what you need to improve upon   Answer Question

Bear Builder Interview

Interview was fun and nice. It was really laid back and seemed like a group talk. It was pretty nice and cool. I felt no pressure at all. Very little maybe because of the group interview.

Interview Questions
    • Maybe the fact that you were in a group interview. No difficult questions.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Applied on June 16 and received an email from the store manager on June 27th for a group interview on July 2nd.
    The group interview was not as bad as I thought it would be. There was maybe about 10, no more than 13 of us in the group. First, we started by introducing ourselves and then she went around and asked up a couple of generic questions (what's your favorite tv show, what's your favorite song or album right now and why, what would your boss say is your strength/weakness are all that I can remember). The group interview was very casual, you do not have to dress up in super professional wear like you are interviewing at Ernst & Young.
    After the questions, we were separated into smaller groups to design a bear and given a story (mine was that a family came in and wanted a bear for their son and daughter and had a budget of $100) and then we played a game.
    I was called back for an individual interview a couple of days later. The interview was very informal. It was held in the staff break room and the interviewer was a keyholder and we talked mostly about our RA experience and how it related to the position (it really does). I also took an online questionnaire that asked about work experience and honesty questions (should a boss fired an employee of 8 years if she stole money).
    About 3 days later, I received an email from the keyholder saying to call the store manager for which I was offered the position and gladly accepted.
    Most important thing to know is to be friendly, kind and genuine. The workers will be able to pick up on fakeness easily. Also, even though the company caters to children, you will have all ages in the store so you can work with people as young as 1 year all the way to 100 years.

Interview Questions
    • Choose and decorate a bear for a brother and sister based on their stories (the boy liked superheroes and the girl was into sports). This question was hard for me because I had never worked retail before.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. I was hired as a part time sales associate with no retail experience. But if you do have experience, the pay rate can increase.

Sales Associate Interview

Great first job! Awesome company, fabulous benefits, a real treat to work there! I loved my job, very sad I moved away. Still a fabulous company to work for, great customer service training.

Bear Builder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Raleigh, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear in May 2014.

Applied in person and got a call back 3 days later for a group interview. I now have an interview for a one on one manager interview. Their third step is checking your references. They like to make sure that you are crazy and know how to have fun while still respecting the kids and the parents. Be sweet and compassionate but do not be fake. They can definitely tell. If you love kids and are right for the company you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    • Having to "sell" something to the manager was the hardest part for me because you're put on the spot. Be calm. Be funny.   Answer Question

Associate Workshop Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Group interviews with a followup one-on-one interview and an assessment if approved after both interviews. Group interviews usually have 4-7 candidates. The focus of the group interview is to gauge personality, determine if the individual is a good fit for the company as well as the team. Once approved after the group interview, a one on one interview and online assessment will take place.

Interview Questions
    • Questions vary. Anything from Leadership experience, conflict resolution to guest service as well as hobbies can be discussed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Was awarded an on spot interview, and it was very informal. Manager was very kind and helpful. Questions were very basic and they were strictly behavioral based questions. I found out within 3 days whether or not I received the position(which I did).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had a problem with a coworker and what did you do to resolve this problem?   Answer Question

Associate Workshop Manager Interview

* Group interview.
    * Second individual interview.
    * Third individual interview.

Bear Builder Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Build-A-Bear in March 2014.

Applied online- asked about availability over the phone. Scheduled for a one on one by the end of the week