Build-A-Bear Interview Questions

2.4

Bear Builder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in April 2010.

I had a group interview to start where we did games and basically showed we could be silly. If we did well we had an individual interview with the manager which can include singing, making up songs, dancing, showing them a heart ceremony, stuffing a bear..etc. If you do well with this you get to take their test to make sure you are right for them and then they either hire you or they don't.

Chief Workshop Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in August 2010.

I was recruited and they didn't have many other options. So it was pretty easy aside from a test.

Interview Questions
    • Do you thrive under pressure? How would you coach an underperformer?   Answer Question
    They are paying less and less and their payroll is shrinking. I think I was one of the last ones to get a really great salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Northridge, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in October 2012.

Applied online, got call back within the week. Went to first interview which was group style. They went through and asked us pretty laid back questions, such as "What do you do in your free time?" The goal of that seems to be if you are able to hold a conversation--as suggestion, I would not go on and on about how you have a passion for working with kids; it was highly overrated and overused by everybody before me--instead, I gave a more creative "fun" answer which I believe helped me stand out and got me a second interview.

At first interview, they selected a few of us randomly (pretty sure it's not really that random), and I was one who had to fill out long questionnaire (took about 20 minutes of bubble-filling) regarding random legal stuff (are you hispanic, average family income, etc.)

After that, got call to come in for a second interview--this is where you need to be careful. They require you to wear their uniform, and observe/interact for a couple of hours. In my case, another girl and I had to assist in a birthday party. So I went out and purchased white sneakers and khaki pants and showed up, where we two interview candidates had to help out as this birthday party--I felt SO bad for the parent paying for this large party, because the two of us who were not employed by the company were learning on the fly and trying to act like we did this a lot. We helped out the entire party time, then were given that second interview based on our interactions. Here, the real interview questions came such as availability and expectations. Long story short here, after purchasing new clothes and providing free labor for a couple of hours, my availability did not match their needs. Save yourself the trouble, and verify if your availability is a problem for them right at first interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Build a Bear?   View Answer

Bear Builder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minnetonka, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in August 2011.

Getting hired was easy. They will always do a group interview and most of the time if you just smile and act happy. You will get hired. They don't consider you work experience or anything really.

Interview Questions
    • Give three adjectives that best describes you that fits best at build a bear.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in November 2009.

You must first go through a group interview. I was first hired before the holiday season and had an interview with a group of ten other people. We were shown around the store, and then sat in a circle, where we asked multiple questions, such as what have we done to make someone happy, and how we would cheer up a sad child. We then were passed a dressed up bear and had to come up with a name and a back-story. I was then called back for an interview with the store manager a week later, where I had to complete a behavioral question packet, and go over which hours I would be able to work and starting pay.

Interview Questions
    • Coming up with the name and back-story for the bear was the most unexpected, but no difficult questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Starting pay was set for all workers.

Sales Associate/Bear Builder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in June 2009.

So for starters, fill out an application online. Make sure to attach a resume because it makes it very very simple to be done with the app. Next, if they have not contacted you, call them within four days of sending your app and request to speak to a manager (all the managers are usually apart of the hiring process). Be nice, cordial, and super friendly with a touch of energetic. They are attractive to happy, smiley, and out going people. Also be classy and choose your words carefully. The interview itself is also unique. Depending on the location, they could ask you anything (because not all Build a Bears ask the same interview questions). It ranges from "How would you make guest (what they call costumers) connections?" to "What kind of animal would you be?" Be calm and patient. Smile often and answer effectively. If you have to, tweak your answers to best fit their wants. They want out going people so always center your answers on how you communicate with people you don't know.

Interview Questions
    • Can't say that any of the questions are too difficult especially those with retail experience.   Answer Question
    There isn't anything to negotiate. You can ask for something but what they offer is bottom line. If you are just starting out, expect just around minimum wage. If you have done this before, you can probably get $1.50 more than minimum wage. Depends on the management and experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Applied online got called in for a group interview. Was like ten people at the interview. They went around and asked basic questions. Said they would call selected people the next day and I wasn't called. The people that conducted the interviews were nice and they made it clear this is a company that values fun individuals.

Interview Questions
    • They gave me a card that said I had to dance so I had to come up with dance moves on the spot.   Answer Question

Bear Builder Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rockford, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in October 2013.

I applied online after seeing the position posted on the mall website. Not even an hour later I was emailed by the Chief Workshop Manager thanking me for my interest and asking if I was available to attend a group interviewed the next day. I was unable to attend it and a few days later she informed me of the next interview. I came early and i was greeted and asked to fill out a paper application. Every few mins more people for the interview joined me at the table to fill out their own applications. We were all given name tags and then split up in 2 groups.

I 1st interviewed with with a manager of another Build A Bear location along with a different girl that came for the job. The manager told us a little bit about her self and how long she worked with the company, asked us to tell us a little about ourselves, then began asking us questions. None were too difficult. They were questions like "Tell me about a time when you worked in a group/team and what were the pros & cons" or "Tell me about a time when you reached out for help and about when you helped someone else out" and "Tell me bout your experience with working with children. What did you like most about it and what was your least favorite thing about working with them?". You have a little time to quickly think of your answer since its a group interview while the person is talking which helps. The last question she asked was "If you could be any toy what would you be and why?". I had to think a bit on that one, but it was a fun question. When we were done she said she would switch off with the Chief Workshop Manager for this malls location and she will ask us the majority of the same exact questions so try to remember our answers.

The next manager did the same told us about herself, asked us to share a bit about us, then asked questions. Most questions I remember were the same except for the last 3 ones she asked. She asked us "What could you do/or continually work on that would better you as women?, "What could you contribute to our team?", "Why should I hire you?".

After that interview we were asked to fill out a survey scantron test which was about 100 questions. They were questions about honesty, drug use, and a few situational/scenario questions. There was no rush to finish.We handed them in when we finished and were told we would hear from them in the next 24 hours.

Overall it was a very positive experience & interview process. Both managers were really nice, open, and easy to talk to. Instead of question after question and expecting a quick answer they allow you time to think and answer and then they relate you what you said and add their own example/personal experience. You can tell they are team oriented and care a lot about they people that work for them. They express how it's a family like environment.

Tip: Dress professional. Don't have any tattoos or cleavage showing. Be sure to thank them for their time and shake their hand when the interview is complete. Be energetic.

Interview Questions
    • "What could you do/or continually work on that would better you as women?, ,   View Answer
    • "What could you contribute to our team?"   View Answer
    • "Why should I hire you?"   View Answer
    I had some scheduling concerns because I had another job and asked would that be an issue/problem and would they be willing to work with me on that. She said no that would not be a problem. The manager is really flexible and understands if you have prior obligations like school or work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in May 2011.

They're looking for bubbly people, outgoing, willing to be silly and have fun with the kids. Mine was a group interview they'll ask you to make up songs, chimes, silly things to have fun. Be creative and outgoing. If you're shy the job isn't for you. They teach you dances, etc.

Interview Questions
    • I can't recall. Just be honest and don't look for "right answer". If you fit in with the team, they typically know it.   Answer Question
    None, I was happy to be making more than 8.00 an hour for an easy job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Temecula, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in August 2013.

Applied online, got a call about a week or two later to come in for a group interview at 5:30. I went there, there were about 5 girls there. We started on time. He took us out to the middle of the mall walkway to do the interview as it was a small store inside the mall. First we did the chicken dance a million times, then he talked to us about the job and the store. Afterwards we were asked 4 questions we could raise our hand and answer we didn't have to answer the first thing if we didn't want to but we all had to answer the last one. After that he pulled us all aside and asked about availability and such.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a coworker you don't like? What is one thing your friends would say you're good at and one thing they say you could work on?   Answer Question