Build-A-Bear Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.4

Bear Builder Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview

After filling out a online application I was contacted 3 weeks later and asked to go into the store and fill out an application in person and to meet a manager. When I did this the manager scheduled me for another interview the next week. It was a basic interview with another manager and I could tell they were just trying to see if I had a positive attitude or not. After this I was scheduled for a second interview with a third manager and it was pretty much the same thing, they even asked some of the same questions the last manager did. I was called a week later to take a simple personality test on the computer and was told that they could only hire me if I passed the test. I passed it and was sent to a final interview with the main manager and was hired on the spot. It was the longest interview process for a part time job I had ever been through but it was well worth it. All the questions were the normal interview questions it was nothing to hard. They just want to make sure that your positive and bubbly and can work well in a team.

Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Build-A-Bear (Greenville, SC).

Interview

I applied and got a call the next day to set up a group interview. I got there early so the manager told me I could look around. I watched one employee as she interacted with the customers. Once the manager saw that everyone was there she walked us to the back. She asked use questions based on what was on our written application then asked us what experience we had with children? What kind of ice cream we would consider ourselves as and Why? This one threw me off though. She gave us a scenario to see how we would do. She said she was a grandmother looking for a bear for her grandson, but he is not a fan of superheros and she wanted something that did not cost a lot of money. All three of us had to agree on a bear, clothes, and shoes that was not expensive then one by one tell why we chose it and about how much it would be all together. She showed us how to do a heart ceremony and we had to do one on our own. Over all the interview was fun and easy for my first interview. At the end we shook hands and she said we could leave She said we would get a call in a few days for another interview with another manager. I was asked to stay to take an assessment.

Anonymous Employee in Humble, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear (Humble, TX).

Interview

I applied online. I got an email in about a week saying that they were having a group interview. They was only one other person there. So we had a very fun interview with the manager. We set for an interview the same day and I went in next week and had an individual interview with the assistant manger. I got a call after 2 weeks, but I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected thing they asked us to do in the group interview was to make a commercial for the store.   1 Answer

Stuffer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview

The Interview was laid back and enjoyable. It was a group then the next week was a 1 on 1. They then set you up at a computer to take a 15 to 30 mins test. I got hired as was in training within 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. Start pay was $ 9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Build-A-Bear (New York, NY).

Interview

The first interview is a group interview. It's pretty laid back, I had about 13 people in my group. When it began the managers introduced themselves and our first activity began. We had to ask the person in front of us three things, 1. Why do you want to work here, 2. What's somethibg unique about you, 3. Tell me something random about you, and then we had to introduce them to the group. They next asked us to give them a positive and a negative about working in a group. Use personal experience they can tell if you're just making it up as you go. They then ask you to describe a time when you brightened up someone's day. Then they want to see your ability to work in a group, they put you into a group and I don't know if the activity is randomized but during my interview our group activity was to create a commercial. So just make sure they see how goofy and cheery you are and ask lots of questions so that they'll notice you.

When the interview is through if they like you they'll make an appointment for your second interview or if it's possible you can ask if you can take it that same day.

The second interview is you just talking to a manger theyll ask you a few questions and just try to be as honest as possible. They'll then ask you to take a questionnaire which just tests if you're the right fit for the job just answer honestly and you'll be fine!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. I was hired for 9/hr

Master Bear Builder Interview

Interview

The average store gets 10-15 walk in asking for applications a day, along with 20-30 online applications. If you want to have an interview, find out who the hiring manager is, along with the Chief workshop manager. Talk to them and ask them when they plan on hiring and what their expectation is.

Interview Questions

• Other than wanting to work with kids, why do you want to work here.   1 Answer

Bear Builder Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview

The first interview was a group one. All the candidates sat in a circle in the back of the store and were asked to pick 1-3 hearts from a basket. Most picked 1 heart while myself and one other person picked 3 (we were both offered the jobs btw). We got to say facts about ourselves depending on how many hearts we had. Since I had 3 I got to say more about myself than the other candidates. Afterwards it was an open question and answer between the hiring manager and us. Anyone could speak during this and of course I spoke up a lot and answered more questions. Finally we were told to march to the front of the store, pick a bear we loved and skip back to the back. When we got to the back we had to talk about why we picked the bear we did.

I was called back not even an hour after the group interview to schedule a one on one interview. During the interview we talked more about the company, why I wanted to work there and what I thought I could bring to build a bear.

They originally said that they would consider me, but they had one more person to interview and that they might have to call me back for seasonal. I put it out there that I would definitely be interested in working at build a bear and if I had to I would wait til seasonal interviews started. Long story short I put myself out there and made it known that I was serious about this job and that I wanted to work there and would wait. They called me back the next day and offered me the position. :)

Interview Questions

• What do you think the most important thing is here at build a bear for the customer and us?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I was hired at 8 dollars an hour.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear in September 2014.

Interview

Took them over a month to call me. Interview was a joke. All about who can suck up to the manger the most. It was a group interview that took place in the food court. There were about 15 of us with the manager trying to talk over the food court noise and everyone else. Very unorganized and unprofessional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear (Alpharetta, GA) in September 2014.

Interview

the hiring process took a while- it was probably a month before I was contacted via phone about coming in for an interview. I had two phone interviews with two representatives, both who were very helpful. I was offered to come in for an interview twice. However, I didn't get the job due to some errors I had made.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us? What skills/talents can you bring to Build-A-Bear?- it was something similar to this- I can't remember the exact question-sorry...
       Do you have any experience working with children?

1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Interview was easy. Mostly wanted to know your background/ how you would handle certain situations with kids. Very relaxed. Interviewed at food court. Interviewed by two managers. Basically told me I was hired at the end of the interview and had me do an ethics survey. Called me back a few days later telling me I got the job.