Build-A-Bear

86 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Santa Clara, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in November 2009.

Interview Details – You must first go through a group interview. I was first hired before the holiday season and had an interview with a group of ten other people. We were shown around the store, and then sat in a circle, where we asked multiple questions, such as what have we done to make someone happy, and how we would cheer up a sad child. We then were passed a dressed up bear and had to come up with a name and a back-story. I was then called back for an interview with the store manager a week later, where I had to complete a behavioral question packet, and go over which hours I would be able to work and starting pay.

Interview Question – Coming up with the name and back-story for the bear was the most unexpected, but no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Starting pay was set for all workers.

Sales Associate/Bear Builder Interview

Sales Associate/Bear Builder
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in June 2009.

Interview Details – So for starters, fill out an application online. Make sure to attach a resume because it makes it very very simple to be done with the app. Next, if they have not contacted you, call them within four days of sending your app and request to speak to a manager (all the managers are usually apart of the hiring process). Be nice, cordial, and super friendly with a touch of energetic. They are attractive to happy, smiley, and out going people. Also be classy and choose your words carefully. The interview itself is also unique. Depending on the location, they could ask you anything (because not all Build a Bears ask the same interview questions). It ranges from "How would you make guest (what they call costumers) connections?" to "What kind of animal would you be?" Be calm and patient. Smile often and answer effectively. If you have to, tweak your answers to best fit their wants. They want out going people so always center your answers on how you communicate with people you don't know.

Interview Question – Can't say that any of the questions are too difficult especially those with retail experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There isn't anything to negotiate. You can ask for something but what they offer is bottom line. If you are just starting out, expect just around minimum wage. If you have done this before, you can probably get $1.50 more than minimum wage. Depends on the management and experience.

Lynnwood, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview Details – Applied online got called in for a group interview. Was like ten people at the interview. They went around and asked basic questions. Said they would call selected people the next day and I wasn't called. The people that conducted the interviews were nice and they made it clear this is a company that values fun individuals.

Interview Question – They gave me a card that said I had to dance so I had to come up with dance moves on the spot.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bear Builder Associate Interview

Bear Builder Associate
Rockford, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online after seeing the position posted on the mall website. Not even an hour later I was emailed by the Chief Workshop Manager thanking me for my interest and asking if I was available to attend a group interviewed the next day. I was unable to attend it and a few days later she informed me of the next interview. I came early and i was greeted and asked to fill out a paper application. Every few mins more people for the interview joined me at the table to fill out their own applications. We were all given name tags and then split up in 2 groups.

I 1st interviewed with with a manager of another Build A Bear location along with a different girl that came for the job. The manager told us a little bit about her self and how long she worked with the company, asked us to tell us a little about ourselves, then began asking us questions. None were too difficult. They were questions like "Tell me about a time when you worked in a group/team and what were the pros & cons" or "Tell me about a time when you reached out for help and about when you helped someone else out" and "Tell me bout your experience with working with children. What did you like most about it and what was your least favorite thing about working with them?". You have a little time to quickly think of your answer since its a group interview while the person is talking which helps. The last question she asked was "If you could be any toy what would you be and why?". I had to think a bit on that one, but it was a fun question. When we were done she said she would switch off with the Chief Workshop Manager for this malls location and she will ask us the majority of the same exact questions so try to remember our answers.

The next manager did the same told us about herself, asked us to share a bit about us, then asked questions. Most questions I remember were the same except for the last 3 ones she asked. She asked us "What could you do/or continually work on that would better you as women?, "What could you contribute to our team?", "Why should I hire you?".

After that interview we were asked to fill out a survey scantron test which was about 100 questions. They were questions about honesty, drug use, and a few situational/scenario questions. There was no rush to finish.We handed them in when we finished and were told we would hear from them in the next 24 hours.

Overall it was a very positive experience & interview process. Both managers were really nice, open, and easy to talk to. Instead of question after question and expecting a quick answer they allow you time to think and answer and then they relate you what you said and add their own example/personal experience. You can tell they are team oriented and care a lot about they people that work for them. They express how it's a family like environment.

Tip: Dress professional. Don't have any tattoos or cleavage showing. Be sure to thank them for their time and shake their hand when the interview is complete. Be energetic.

Interview Questions

• "What could you do/or continually work on that would better you as women?, ,   View Answer
  • "What could you contribute to our team?"   View Answer
  • "Why should I hire you?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I had some scheduling concerns because I had another job and asked would that be an issue/problem and would they be willing to work with me on that. She said no that would not be a problem. The manager is really flexible and understands if you have prior obligations like school or work.

Very Easy Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in May 2011.

Interview Details – They're looking for bubbly people, outgoing, willing to be silly and have fun with the kids. Mine was a group interview they'll ask you to make up songs, chimes, silly things to have fun. Be creative and outgoing. If you're shy the job isn't for you. They teach you dances, etc.

Interview Question – I can't recall. Just be honest and don't look for "right answer". If you fit in with the team, they typically know it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, I was happy to be making more than 8.00 an hour for an easy job.

Temecula, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call about a week or two later to come in for a group interview at 5:30. I went there, there were about 5 girls there. We started on time. He took us out to the middle of the mall walkway to do the interview as it was a small store inside the mall. First we did the chicken dance a million times, then he talked to us about the job and the store. Afterwards we were asked 4 questions we could raise our hand and answer we didn't have to answer the first thing if we didn't want to but we all had to answer the last one. After that he pulled us all aside and asked about availability and such.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a coworker you don't like? What is one thing your friends would say you're good at and one thing they say you could work on?   Answer Question

Bear Builder Interview

Bear Builder

I applied online and interviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview Details – Called about 3 days after applying online. Set up a group interview for the following week. Interview was with a group and lasted about 20 minutes. Pretty informal and laid back.

Interview Question – Had to pretend to talk to a child and go through the bear building process.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Bloomington, IN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in February 2013.

Interview Details – I went in and was handed a form to fill out related to my refferences and such. We then went to a table and had a conversation about why each one of us wanted to work at build a bear and asked us some questions about our weaknesses and biggest achievements. Afterwords we all went into the store and were told to pick out a bear, why we liked it, and to try and sell it to them.

Interview Question – Why do you think you are right for Build-A-Bear?   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Marketing Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online and received a call from HR a few weeks later. She asked me questions regarding my previous work experience and what I was involved with in school. The next week I had a Skype interview with someone from the marketing team because I was unable to be in St. Louis for an onsite interview. About a week later I received a call from HR offering me the position.

Interview Question – I was asked to comment on other notable brands' social media presence and what brands I thought were utilizing excellent marketing tactics. Also wanted to know my prior experience with Google Analytics.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, wouldn't recommend it.

Bear Builder Interview

Bear Builder

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Build-A-Bear in June 2013.

Interview Details – The store is under renovation at a mall, and there was a 'Now Hiring' sign, so I applied online. I received an email from the manager about 1-2 weeks later to schedule an appointment. My interview was two days later at 10 am. Because the store still isn't ready our interview was in a restaurant in the mall (The mall just opened at 10, so no one was there at to eat yet). The interview was a group interview: there was 6 of us and there were 3 managers interviewing us. We all bonded so well with each other including the managers that we already felt like a "family". The questions asked were "What are the benefits/challenges of working as a team?", "Think of a time where you had to multitask?, "Name a mistake you made, what did you learn and how did you fix it?", "What is a recent goal that you set for yourself?" They also split us up into two groups of three. We had put a short performance together to show our creative side (the performances were no longer than 1 minute). At the end we had to fill out a 100 question survey. Depending on the managers and how you answer your questions, the interview will be fun and enjoyable, so just relax...and be bubbly and smile. Show your personality through your answers because that is what sticks out to them, especially since you're going to be working with kids.

Interview Question – Unexpected: What was a recent goal you set for yourself?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me 8.50/hour. Did not negotiate because: it is over minimum wage in new york, its my first job, and I'm only working part-time.