Build-A-Bear

2.3

41 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online – interviewed at Build-A-Bear.

I applied and got a call the next day to set up a group interview. I got there early so the manager told me I could look around. I watched one employee as she interacted with the customers. Once the manager saw that everyone was there she walked us to the back. She asked use questions based on what was on our written application then asked us what experience we had with children? What kind of ice cream we would consider ourselves as and Why? This one threw me off though. She gave us a scenario to see how we would do. She said she was a grandmother looking for a bear for her grandson, but he is not a fan of superheros and she wanted something that did not cost a lot of money. All three of us had to agree on a bear, clothes, and shoes that was not expensive then one by one tell why we chose it and about how much it would be all together. She showed us how to do a heart ceremony and we had to do one on our own. Over all the interview was fun and easy for my first interview. At the end we shook hands and she said we could leave She said we would get a call in a few days for another interview with another manager. I was asked to stay to take an assessment.

Other Interview Reviews for Build-A-Bear

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Humble, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Humble, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

I applied online. I got an email in about a week saying that they were having a group interview. They was only one other person there. So we had a very fun interview with the manager. We set for an interview the same day and I went in next week and had an individual interview with the assistant manger. I got a call after 2 weeks, but I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected thing they asked us to do in the group interview was to make a commercial for the store.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear in September 2014.

Took them over a month to call me. Interview was a joke. All about who can suck up to the manger the most. It was a group interview that took place in the food court. There were about 15 of us with the manager trying to talk over the food court noise and everyone else. Very unorganized and unprofessional.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview was easy. Mostly wanted to know your background/ how you would handle certain situations with kids. Very relaxed. Interviewed at food court. Interviewed by two managers. Basically told me I was hired at the end of the interview and had me do an ethics survey. Called me back a few days later telling me I got the job.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Applied on June 16 and received an email from the store manager on June 27th for a group interview on July 2nd.
    The group interview was not as bad as I thought it would be. There was maybe about 10, no more than 13 of us in the group. First, we started by introducing ourselves and then she went around and asked up a couple of generic questions (what's your favorite tv show, what's your favorite song or album right now and why, what would your boss say is your strength/weakness are all that I can remember). The group interview was very casual, you do not have to dress up in super professional wear like you are interviewing at Ernst & Young.
    After the questions, we were separated into smaller groups to design a bear and given a story (mine was that a family came in and wanted a bear for their son and daughter and had a budget of $100) and then we played a game.
    I was called back for an individual interview a couple of days later. The interview was very informal. It was held in the staff break room and the interviewer was a keyholder and we talked mostly about our RA experience and how it related to the position (it really does). I also took an online questionnaire that asked about work experience and honesty questions (should a boss fired an employee of 8 years if she stole money).
    About 3 days later, I received an email from the keyholder saying to call the store manager for which I was offered the position and gladly accepted.
    Most important thing to know is to be friendly, kind and genuine. The workers will be able to pick up on fakeness easily. Also, even though the company caters to children, you will have all ages in the store so you can work with people as young as 1 year all the way to 100 years.

Interview Questions
    • Choose and decorate a bear for a brother and sister based on their stories (the boy liked superheroes and the girl was into sports). This question was hard for me because I had never worked retail before.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. I was hired as a part time sales associate with no retail experience. But if you do have experience, the pay rate can increase.

Sales Associate Interview

Great first job! Awesome company, fabulous benefits, a real treat to work there! I loved my job, very sad I moved away. Still a fabulous company to work for, great customer service training.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Was awarded an on spot interview, and it was very informal. Manager was very kind and helpful. Questions were very basic and they were strictly behavioral based questions. I found out within 3 days whether or not I received the position(which I did).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had a problem with a coworker and what did you do to resolve this problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

was very fast and easy and called right away.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynnwood, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Build-A-Bear.

Applied online got called in for a group interview. Was like ten people at the interview. They went around and asked basic questions. Said they would call selected people the next day and I wasn't called. The people that conducted the interviews were nice and they made it clear this is a company that values fun individuals.

Interview Questions
    • They gave me a card that said I had to dance so I had to come up with dance moves on the spot.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Build-A-Bear in August 2013.

Applied online, got a call about a week or two later to come in for a group interview at 5:30. I went there, there were about 5 girls there. We started on time. He took us out to the middle of the mall walkway to do the interview as it was a small store inside the mall. First we did the chicken dance a million times, then he talked to us about the job and the store. Afterwards we were asked 4 questions we could raise our hand and answer we didn't have to answer the first thing if we didn't want to but we all had to answer the last one. After that he pulled us all aside and asked about availability and such.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a coworker you don't like? What is one thing your friends would say you're good at and one thing they say you could work on?   Answer Question